ADVERTISEMENT

Has the Athletic Department tapped in to bball success/Students for Future Fundraising Purposes?

RUsojo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2010
Wondering if anyone is aware of the AD leveraging sustained basketball home court/positive consumer experience success of the last three years to actively cultivate a future donor base out of these future alumni?

We know there is a long and futile history at a university and AD level to build our future donor base. Whatever anyone may think contributes to lack of donating, the school is certainly at fault for not doing anything at all to establish this culture.

Historically it’s been tough for Rutgers students to find something to connect to as a rallying point for school-related positive community experiences.

It seems like a no brainer to me that we should have an active plan in place already that has identified which students are attending these games and developing that relationship. Cannot let this generation of student athletics experience go un-capitalized if you will

Reactions: Local Shill
This is a good point. You have several classes of students experiencing success and having a great time at these games. Need the program to keep it up and the university to follow up when they graduate and start working. I know that the young alumni season tix for football was a big part of keeping me engaged with Rutgers.

Reactions: RUsojo
Haven't we sold out just about every game and seaosn tickets up huge.
Talking specifically about students and future prospects of them donating at a higher level than previous graduating classes.

Really hope we are doing this. I would have a list of the 10,000 students who’ve attended a game this year and be giving them another free item if they auto enroll in the RFund now for $5 donation. You can even zero that out and not trigger it til a little after graduation. Some will cancel once it starts. But you’re hit rate will be high.

Gotta be doing something the lifetime value of these experiences in terms of donations to program/athletics is too high to pass up.

From my experience most of the people that I know of who donate experienced athletics success when they were at the school. When the school is good in football and basketball people remain connected to the school when the school is trash in those sports those people disappear.

Rutgers is trying to become more competitive in basketball and footballl as well as other BIG Ten sports.This requires better facilities and offering competitive coaching salaries.Donor support isn't close to most Big Ten programs .Selling out a 8000 seat arena is peanuts as compared to the funding needed to run a athletic department.As for football Rutgers is having a hard time maintaining a 30,000 fan base.There are over nine million people in NJ yet most have very little connection with Rutgers including alumni after graduation.

Rutgers is trying to become more competitive in basketball and footballl as well as other BIG Ten sports.This requires better facilities and offering competitive coaching salaries.Donor support isn't close to most Big Ten programs .Selling out a 8000 seat arena is peanuts as compared to the funding needed to run a athletic department.As for football Rutgers is having a hard time maintaining a 30,000 fan base.There are over nine million people in NJ yet most have very little connection with Rutgers including alumni after graduation.
Don’t worry about football. We haven’t won a conference game in 4 years, the fact that we can still get 50,000 people in there for the big games like OSU this year is crazy. If Schiano works his magic this year the stadium will be at capacity again

ADVERTISEMENT