ADVERTISEMENT

Hasahn French Eliminates Rutgers

Thanks for the update, Mr. Schnyderite. I thought this kid was a bit above our head at the current moment. All the best to French.

Surprised to see St. John's listed, thought they'd were out of scholarships and had just gotten a verbal from another big recently, although he may still have some issues.

Surprised to see St. John's listed, thought they'd were out of scholarships and had just gotten a verbal from another big recently, although he may still have some issues.
They are out of scholarships. They must expect some roster attrition. It could also mean that French will be making his school choice in the Spring.

Just because RU is not on the list, doesn't mean that we stop recruiting him. It's fair game until they sign their LOI

UMass is a strong potential destination. He is from Springfield Mass (about 1/2 hour from Amherst) as is UMass HC - Derek Kellogg.

Also UMass has a very strong recruiting class for 2016 - Two 4 stars and Three 3 stars - a top 20 recruiting class.

Phil,
What are your overall thoughts about the new coaching staff ? Things you like ? Things you don't like ? Anything you are hearing about overall recruiting relationships with NJ coaches ?

Reactions: Les Gerson
Unless something changes don't expect him to be at SJU. Keep in mind when a kid "cuts" to 13 I would say maybe 5 are serious.

I think he may wait to see if things change at SJU but Zach Brown will probably be it at SJU for this year.

They are out of scholarships. They must expect some roster attrition. It could also mean that French will be making his school choice in the Spring.

Unless something changes don't expect him to be at SJU. Keep in mind when a kid "cuts" to 13 I would say maybe 5 are serious.

I think he may wait to see if things change at SJU but Zach Brown will probably be it at SJU for this year.

Agree with you Mich. I thought French was a heavy St. John's lean until the surprising commit by Zach Brown. Honestly, I was shocked St. John's took Brown. At the same time I have a lot of respect for Mullin and believe he considers the kid to be ok despite prior problems. Since Mullin came in and cleaned house of bad characters such as Jordan, Obekpa, and De La Rosa, I sense he investigated the Brown situation closely and deemed him worthy of the risk. The skeptical side of me notes that this would not happen if Brown were not one of the top players in the country. Based upon past history, however, I don't think Mullin would make this decision without a good faith belief the kid would not be a character problem.

He's a risk no doubt but with huge upside. Kid is a stud. He is one of the top 5-6 big men/centers in the 2017 class, easily.

All I know is SJU Chief Counsel and President met with lawyer and parents and did a thorough background check. When it became clear the criminal charges were likely to be dropped they gave the OK.

Agree with you Mich. I thought French was a heavy St. John's lean until the surprising commit by Zach Brown. Honestly, I was shocked St. John's took Brown. At the same time I have a lot of respect for Mullin and believe he considers the kid to be ok despite prior problems. Since Mullin came in and cleaned house of bad characters such as Jordan, Obekpa, and De La Rosa, I sense he investigated the Brown situation closely and deemed him worthy of the risk. The skeptical side of me notes that this would not happen if Brown were not one of the top players in the country. Based upon past history, however, I don't think Mullin would make this decision without a good faith belief the kid would not be a character problem.

He's a risk no doubt but with huge upside. Kid is a stud. He is one of the top 5-6 big men/centers in the 2017 class, easily.

All I know is SJU Chief Counsel and President met with lawyer and parents and did a thorough background check. When it became clear the criminal charges were likely to be dropped they gave the OK.
Zach Brown is a good kid who had a horrible childhood. I could tell you but you just wouldn't believe it. He made a mistake and seems to have learned from it.

What a difference a year makes though. June 19, 2015 Brown's guardian text me that Brown was done playing at the NBPA Top 100 camp due to an ankle injury. His text included "Good camp but not big UA fan. We are Nike guys!"

July 2016 Brown commits to St. John's. A school whose athletic department wear's UA gear.

Zach Brown is a good kid who had a horrible childhood. I could tell you but you just wouldn't believe it. He made a mistake and seems to have learned from it.

What a difference a year makes though. June 19, 2015 Brown's guardian text me that Brown was done playing at the NBPA Top 100 camp due to an ankle injury. His text included "Good camp but not big UA fan. We are Nike guys!"

July 2016 Brown commits to St. John's. A school whose athletic department wear's UA gear.

Did he hook up the Heat tickets is the real question?

Did he hook up the Heat tickets is the real question?
The guardian does have a Miami Heat concierge and ticket premium reselling contract. I know he met with the Warriors about getting a similar contract with that franchise

Just because RU is not on the list, doesn't mean that we stop recruiting him. It's fair game until they sign their LOI
That may be true but if we're already out of the running I don't see us making up that much ground, considering where the program is currently.

Phil,
What are your overall thoughts about the new coaching staff ? Things you like ? Things you don't like ? Anything you are hearing about overall recruiting relationships with NJ coaches ?
Hi Heaven. Everything to date with Pikiell and staff has been terrific. I like his approach that you don't need the 4 and 5 star guys to win as long as you can coach up and develop your recruits - which many Big 10 squads do - such as Wisconsin; Michigan etc. If he gets us to the upper half of the Big 10 in the next 2-3 years - he's exceeded expectations...as this is how I will judge him and his staff thru the end of the decade. Furthermore, he appears to be a man of high character; he is secure enough to surround himself with high quality assistants; he's recruiting effectively and I feel confident that he'll make strong in-roads throughout NJ as well.

Looking forward to seeing you at the BB games soon and always feel free to email me at BigEastPhil@aol.com. Regards.

Hi Heaven. Everything to date with Pikiell and staff has been terrific. I like his approach that you don't need the 4 and 5 star guys to win as long as you can coach up and develop your recruits - which many Big 10 squads do - such as Wisconsin; Michigan etc. If he gets us to the upper half of the Big 10 in the next 2-3 years - he's exceeded expectations...as this is how I will judge him and his staff thru the end of the decade. Furthermore, he appears to be a man of high character; he is secure enough to surround himself with high quality assistants; he's recruiting effectively and I feel confident that he'll make strong in-roads throughout NJ as well.

Looking forward to seeing you at the BB games soon and always feel free to email me at BigEastPhil@aol.com. Regards.
Agree 100% Phil.

ADVERTISEMENT