ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Fan Making The Road Trip

IowaBanker

Redshirt
Jan 24, 2010
Greetings from the heartland!

My wife (no pic) and I will be making the trip from Iowa to New Jersey this fall for the game. Rutgers is the only Big 10 venue that I've not seen Iowa play football in, so that will be rectified in September and my bucket list, once again, will be complete (until the next round of expansion).

So I'm looking for any advice you can provide for a visiting fan. Most notably I'm looking for information on High Point Solutions Stadium, such as what sections the visiting fans have for seating, what the sightlines are like, how close to the field there is "too close", what quality the upper deck seats are, etc. Also I've seen parking maps and would like to know how available the gameday parking is, including the prepaid color coded lots and the gameday/cash only lots, what lots allow tailgating, etc.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Since this is the 3rd thread started by an Iowa fan we should really pin something that has all the relevant information.

Reactions: RU262
You can tailgate anywhere. We have a pretty good tailgating scene, as that was the main draw for games in the 90s. Ha.

Buying a colored pass on the secondary market is the way to go, otherwise you need to park in a gameday lot. This will most likely be at the RAC (other side of campus which requires a shuttle bus). You can walk..but its a hike. This is where most of the visiting fans park...it seems. Also where the RV parking is.

You can tailgate anywhere. We have a pretty good tailgating scene, as that was the main draw for games in the 90s. Ha.

Buying a colored pass on the secondary market is the way to go, otherwise you need to park in a gameday lot. This will most likely be at the RAC (other side of campus which requires a shuttle bus). You can walk..but its a hike. This is where most of the visiting fans park...it seems. Also where the RV parking is.

As far as seating, the upper decks are sideline only so you won't go wrong up there with regard to sight lines. Most visitor seats are lower endzone/ corner endzone. There is also a section in the upper deck that has traditionally been for the visitor allotment. Compared to other venues the sight lines are generally good. Myself, I would probably try to avoid lower 10 rows, but others love those seats.

@IowaBanker

if you plan to stay in New Brunswick you have 2 hotel options Hyatt and Heldrich. Both are good places to stay. the train to NYC is walking distance to both (Hyatt a bit closer) and gets you to NYC in just under an hour. You can take the train in the other direction to Philly in about the same time, although you will need to switch trains in Trenton to get you into Philly.

there are shuttles in downtown New Brunswick that will bring you to the stadium, but the line to get on the bus back can be a bit long. it's probably a 30-45 min walk back if you are so inclined and physically able. NB has a variety of bars/restaurants that will meet all price points and food tastes.

the color coded lots are for season ticket holders but are always available on the secondary market. there is also Johnson Park and the Greek Church, both on River Road, that allow for game day parking for a fee. Tailgating is allowed at Johnson Park and technically not allowed at the church but everyone does it.

You'll find most tailgating RU fans to be welcoming and will invite you in for a drink or a bite to eat if you just stop to say hello. as we get closer to the game stop back here again and many of us will give you directions on how to find us in the lots.

HPSS is not quite as large as other B1G stadiums so the sight lines from the upper deck are actually pretty good. We love our seats on the 50 yard line of the upper deck.

Thanks everyone for the responses. We're considering tickets on the 50 yard line, either in the lower deck on the home side (Row 42) or the upper deck on the visitor side (Row 1). Thoughts on these locations?

Thanks everyone for the responses. We're considering tickets on the 50 yard line, either in the lower deck on the home side (Row 42) or the upper deck on the visitor side (Row 1). Thoughts on these locations?

as I said above, we sit on the 50, visitor side, upper deck and love it. Plus you are right near the #52, Eric LeGrand's retired number. a good photo op for your trip to HPSS.

Row 42 on the lower level is the last row in the section (at least on the home side), but since you enter the stadium and walk down towards the field it is the row closest to the concourse (rest rooms, concessions, exit). I sit in row 21 and I'm pretty sure that I am exactly half way down the section. 50 yard line is section 126 on the home side. Since the upper is set back, the distance from the field for row 42 lower versus row 1 upper is pretty much the same excpet the vertical difference.

The upper deck only overhangs the lower level by a few rows so you are probably protected from rain in row 42 of the lower but probably 99% of the seats in the stadium are not at all protected from rain at all. If the potential to get rained on is a major factor, then go with the lower.

And, on that note --

If it does rain - and, by that, I mean the torrential downpour kind .. which is still very possible that time of year - the river can flood Johnson Park and it will be closed to parking. And, you might not find that out until the day before or the day of the game. So, even though it's very close to the stadium (right across the street) you might not want to put all your hopes into parking there.

And, on that note --

If it does rain - and, by that, I mean the torrential downpour kind .. which is still very possible that time of year - the river can flood Johnson Park and it will be closed to parking. And, you might not find that out until the day before or the day of the game. So, even though it's very close to the stadium (right across the street) you might not want to put all your hopes into parking there.

rain? what is this torrential downpour you speak of. we always have great weather for RU games....

redrum_zpswn0y150r.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT