ADVERTISEMENT

Headed out to the game. Recommendations/Nebraska breakdown

whoboppin

Redshirt
Apr 8, 2015
Headed out to Rutgers on Friday. Any recommendations on where to go before and after the game. Are there bars or anything close by?

I haven't followed Rutgers closely, but game seems like a pick'em to me. What are Rutgers strengths and weakness. Quick Nebraska breakdown.

Offense:

Talents at the skill positions. Lots of talent at WR, best RB Nebraska has had in almost a decade, and QB Thompson can throw it around (though he's not perfect). OL is hot garbage though, so if Rutgers has some players that can get into the backfield and make plays it can stall some drives. I think Nebraska should be able to put up some points though and get to the 30s.

Defense:

They were really, really bad in the first 4 games. Couldn't stop the run, couldn't stop the pass. Gave up 650 yards vs Georgia Southern. They played well vs Indiana though. So the question is was that a blip or can they build on that performance. They were horrendous the first 4 games though, so its tough to trust them right now. Rutgers could score some points if they take a step back.

I didn't realize you scored as much as you have, geez. I fear this looks to be a 27-17 win for the corn.

There's a sticky thread near the top that has a lot of information for visiting fans.

The best of game-day experience, IMO, is usually found in the parking lots near the field. Especially the fronts of the yellow and blue lots. Even if you cannot find a parking pass for those lots, wander over with some drinks and/or food and you'll find tailgates that would be happy to meet and include you.

One caveat is that this is a Friday evening game, so tailgating will get started a bit later due to people having to work earlier in the day.

Alternatively, you could wander into downtown New Brunswick (across the Raritan river from the stadium) and you'll find a bunch of places to grab a bite and beer and mingle with students along and around Easton Avenue.

Reactions: whoboppin
Traditionally I would recommend just setting up a tailgate and enjoy that scene. Or you could go downtown New Brunswick and hit a few college bars. New for this season is the Rutgers Boardwalk. You can’t miss it on your way into the stadium. There will be lots of food trucks and rides/games for the kids. There also is a beer garden near that spot.

Reactions: whoboppin
If you want fancy dining go with Steakhouse 85. If you want iconic Rutgers college bar go with Stuff Yer Face. George Street has some brew pubs and Easton has your crappy but cheap college bars. Olive Branch is the best college dive bar/sports bar we got.

New Brunswick has a decent amount of good restaurants. Catherine Lombardis is fancy Italian.

You can get a fat sandwich almost anywhere but R U hungry on college Ave is the OG.

The GameDay atmosphere is solid. Tailgating is very good and there will be food trucks and activities for kids etc. Barstool sports is doing a live show at athletes glen which is right by the stadium on the north side.

Was thinking Stage Left for lunch as they used to open for lunch on Fridays. But no longer, apparently, only open after 4pm (which totally sucks, btw).

I could really go for a stage left burger and parmesan au gratin and a filet mignon chaser. Yum!

Reactions: RU at the shore
ADVERTISEMENT