ADVERTISEMENT

Hello Knights! Hawkeye here

Wingman137

Senior
Aug 25, 2005
I know it's a little early to get too excited about the football season, but I was wondering how things are looking for you this season. I know last year had to be hard with all the "issues" and what not going on. I hope this season is a stepping stone for rising up to be the Beast of the East!

Thanks for the kind words.

We're not completely devoid of talent this coming year, as we still have some kids left from Schiano's last recruiting class (2012) which was very good. After that, though, our next coach's subsequent classes, from 2013-2016, were less than stellar leaving us depleted, especially in terms of depth when injuries inevitably strike.

So I have a feeling we'll be decent this year (we've got some very good RS seniors on the Oline and Dline from that 2012 class), take a step back next year, and as Coach Ash continues to integrate his own players and put his stamp on the program, we'll steadily improve.

That's my take. Not expecting miracles from Ash, but I think we can potentially be competitive with you guys this year, especially because we've got you early on in the season at home (before the grueling B1G schedule takes it's toll).

What are your feelings on your team for this year coming off such a great season?

Most do not give us a shot at making a bowl game this year but things are looking great with recruiting and the staff looks like a home run on paper. Funding is doing great and we are building a new training room.

We may only see a glimpse of it this season but the future is looking bright.

Reactions: PeaceLove RU
I think Rutgers will be a much tougher team and very competitive , even against the the elite of the Big Ten east. Ash will turn out to be a home run hire...I've got my tickets to the Iowa game and look forward to the match up. Iowa is one of the real class acts in the Big Ten and college football....

We have the inside track to a B1G championship and final four appearance. We're the best kept secret since the D-day invasion. Anything less will sorely be a disappointment. Look out, Iowa will be running straight into a buzz saw this year. Last year was nothing but a craft fully orchestrated ruse. Beware the Garden is Fenced and the shotgun is loaded, waiting for the Hawkeyes to land in our Garden.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I do hope you guys are on the way up. Not when we come to town, but for the rest of the season. When you start keeping over half the talent home, you'll be in the mix for a lot of things! As for the Hawks, we'll be as good as our QB. If CJ can stay healthy, we'll be good. If not, we could be in for a long year.

I do hope you guys are on the way up. Not when we come to town, but for the rest of the season. When you start keeping over half the talent home, you'll be in the mix for a lot of things! As for the Hawks, we'll be as good as our QB. If CJ can stay healthy, we'll be good. If not, we could be in for a long year.
Do the majority of your in-state athletes stay home, Iowa and Iowa St if offered ?

Wingman are you coming out for the game?

RU, We do keep most of the players at home. If we get a 5 star skill player he usually bolts for sun and fun.

Cicero, I would love to come out but am taking my son on a fishing trip this fall/winter so can't make both. Wish I could. Would love to have a cold one with you Ladies and Gents!

Reactions: RUsince52
This year most people will be happy with 6 and 6. If we somehow go 7 and 5 that would be a fantastic year.

We might be able to sneak by a couple teams because we are running a new offensive and defensive system

RU, We do keep most of the players at home. If we get a 5 star skill player he usually bolts for sun and fun.

Cicero, I would love to come out but am taking my son on a fishing trip this fall/winter so can't make both. Wish I could. Would love to have a cold one with you Ladies and Gents!
If the game was in mid Oct, you could fish too, but you 're a few weeks early for our fall trout stocking period. Maybe some other time, you'd be welcome.to try your luck.

Reactions: Wingman137
MASH_Rutgers.png

Hi Hawkeye - we're feeling strong this year

488988.jpg
I know it's a little early to get too excited about the football season, but I was wondering how things are looking for you this season. I know last year had to be hard with all the "issues" and what not going on. I hope this season is a stepping stone for rising up to be the Beast of the East!
No issues. We are ok.

Thanks for the kind words.

We're not completely devoid of talent this coming year, as we still have some kids left from Schiano's last recruiting class (2012) which was very good. After that, though, our next coach's subsequent classes, from 2013-2016, were less than stellar leaving us depleted, especially in terms of depth when injuries inevitably strike.

So I have a feeling we'll be decent this year (we've got some very good RS seniors on the Oline and Dline from that 2012 class), take a step back next year, and as Coach Ash continues to integrate his own players and put his stamp on the program, we'll steadily improve.

That's my take. Not expecting miracles from Ash, but I think we can potentially be competitive with you guys this year, especially because we've got you early on in the season at home (before the grueling B1G schedule takes it's toll).

What are your feelings on your team for this year coming off such a great season?

Do you realize that our 2013-15, Rutgers and Iowa recruiting has been just about even? 2016 is a different story.

B1G Rankings (avg. stars):

Year Rutgers Iowa
2013 6 (2.82) 9 (2.77)
2014 10 (2.5) 11 (2.75)
2015 10 (2.6) 13 (2.71)
2016 14 (2.44) 8 (2.88)

In that time frame, Iowa has had 4 four star recruits, and we have had 2. 8 of our two star recruits from that time frame are no longer with the team (as well as the 2 four star recruits.
One of Iowa's four star recruits, Tyler Wiegers (remember him?). is sitting on the bench.

Wonder if Hawkeye fans think their classes are "less than stellar" and if they cry about it as much when then went 12-2 last year. Oh, and Rutgers' 2012 class was ranked 4 in the B1G (not there, but that's where Rivals has it), while Iowa's was ranked 8th.

Do you realize that our 2013-15, Rutgers and Iowa recruiting has been just about even? 2016 is a different story.

B1G Rankings (avg. stars):

Year Rutgers Iowa
2013 6 (2.82) 9 (2.77)
2014 10 (2.5) 11 (2.75)
2015 10 (2.6) 13 (2.71)
2016 14 (2.44) 8 (2.88)

In that time frame, Iowa has had 4 four star recruits, and we have had 2. 8 of our two star recruits from that time frame are no longer with the team (as well as the 2 four star recruits.
One of Iowa's four star recruits, Tyler Wiegers (remember him?). is sitting on the bench.

Wonder if Hawkeye fans think their classes are "less than stellar" and if they cry about it as much when then went 12-2 last year. Oh, and Rutgers' 2012 class was ranked 4 in the B1G (not there, but that's where Rivals has it), while Iowa's was ranked 8th.

I know 2012 was a great class for us - I specifically said that in my post. But Flood's classes, 2013-2016, were 100%, no doubt about it, less than stellar. There's literally no debating that fact.

Our star ratings were less than Iowa's in every class except 2013, when half the recruiting class transferred or was kicked off within a year. Even without all the transfers we had, our star ratings on the whole were still much lower than the Hawkeyes.

But let's take a look back, shall we? Remember any of these guys?

Lester Liston (high 3*, dismissed), Bryant Gross-Armiento (high 3*, transfer), Delon Stephenson (3*, dismissed), Nick Internicola (high 3*, transfer), Josh Klecko (2*, transfer), Taylor Marini (3*, transfer), Dontea Ayres (3*, transfer), Nadir Barnwell (4*, dismissed). That's a ton of guys to leave, and not only that but it was most of the best recruits from that 2013 class lol. It left us with ten 3* players from that class and three 2* players. 13 total recruits, not a single 4*. Not impressive if you ask me, or anybody.

Now to 2014. We didn't get a single 4* or even 5.7 3* in the entire class, even including all these deflections...Sam Blue, Darian Dailey, Andre Boggs, Jacob Kraut, Donald Bedell, Logan Lister, George Behr (Ok he didn't transfer out but I still haven't heard his name since he's been here lol), Kamren Lott, Justin Nelson, Sidney Gopre, Cal Ibanez. That leaves us with seven 3* from the 2014 class and eight 2* players. 15 total players, not a single 4*, more two star kids remain than 3*. Again not good no matter how you want to slice it.

Now onto the 2015 class, kids who have only been in the program for a year. We've already lost the only 4* from that class (Marques Ford), as well as a 3* (Anthony Folkerts), and a 2* (Al-Kadair Ports). That leaves us with eleven 3* kids and ten 2*. It's larger than the other classes because of the lack of deflections yet, but once again not a single 4*, and simply not a winning formula for us in the Big Ten.

These classes are especially unimpressive when you realize that for each and every one of these classes, Flood had the B1G to sell. Unlike Schiano who in 2012 was still selling the friggen American Athletic Conference.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
I know 2012 was a great class for us - I specifically said that in my post. But Flood's classes, 2013-2016, were 100%, no doubt about it, less than stellar. There's literally no debating that fact.

Our star ratings were less than Iowa's in every class except 2013, when half the recruiting class transferred or was kicked off within a year. Even without all the transfers we had, our star ratings on the whole were still much lower than the Hawkeyes.

But let's take a look back, shall we? Remember any of these guys?

Lester Liston (high 3*, dismissed), Bryant Gross-Armiento (high 3*, transfer), Delon Stephenson (3*, dismissed), Nick Internicola (high 3*, transfer), Josh Klecko (2*, transfer), Taylor Marini (3*, transfer), Dontea Ayres (3*, transfer), Nadir Barnwell (4*, dismissed). That's a ton of guys to leave, and not only that but it was most of the best recruits from that 2013 class lol. It left us with ten 3* players from that class and three 2* players. 13 total recruits, not a single 4*. Not impressive if you ask me, or anybody.

Now to 2014. We didn't get a single 4* or even 5.7 3* in the entire class, even including all these deflections...Sam Blue, Darian Dailey, Andre Boggs, Jacob Kraut, Donald Bedell, Logan Lister, George Behr (Ok he didn't transfer out but I still haven't heard his name since he's been here lol), Kamren Lott, Justin Nelson, Sidney Gopre, Cal Ibanez. That leaves us with seven 3* from the 2014 class and eight 2* players. 15 total players, not a single 4*, more two star kids remain than 3*. Again not good no matter how you want to slice it.

Now onto the 2015 class, kids who have only been in the program for a year. We've already lost the only 4* from that class (Marques Ford), as well as a 3* (Anthony Folkerts), and a 2* (Al-Kadair Ports). That leaves us with eleven 3* kids and ten 2*. It's larger than the other classes because of the lack of deflections yet, but once again not a single 4*, and simply not a winning formula for us in the Big Ten.

These classes are especially unimpressive when you realize that for each and every one of these classes, Flood had the B1G to sell. Unlike Schiano who in 2012 was still selling the friggen American Athletic Conference.

Wait. Your narrative was about "recruiting" classes, not who transferred out or got kicked off. Flood had the B1G to sell, got it. Flood also had no head coaching experience or any significant coordinator experience or any experience at a championship team before becoming head coach. He was given peanuts for the assistant coaching budget, and he had multiple disasters to deal with in an AD who kept embarrassing Rutgers, the faux bullying scandal, and the Mike Rice fiasco.
Remember Tyler Wiegers' comments?
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...ler_wiegers_on_his_rutgers_de-commitment.html

TW: It's just really been a culmination of the issues going on. It's nothing against the coaches, I love all those guys and built great relationships with them. But it was really a family decision, just where I want to be with a stable program and I'm not really sure about that with RU, right now. I hope that all clears up, but I guess right now I just want to take some other visits and see what else is out there. There is a lot going on right now, and the coaches say they'll clear it up soon. They want me to come back out for a visit in the future so that's a possibility. I'll talk that over with my family.

TW: I guess the events last week were kinda like, 'Yea, there's something going on here and we've got to take a look at this.' And I guess you could also say there has been a lot happen in the athletic department since I committed. So, I'm just not really sure. I want to be at a stable program and I don't want to leave that up to chance.

Add all that up (inherently uninspiring resume, not a great game day coach, not the strongest recruiter, bad assistants and no budget for assistants, bad AD, multiple off field issues) and it is no wonder the classes are what they are.

Some of you guys need to simply move on and stop pointing to one man for the problems of the past. There were multiple reasons for the failures- Barchi, Pernetti (he hired Rice and Flood and he and Barchi mishandled the Rice situation), Julie, and Flood himself. Ultimately, Flood's actions and inaction led to his undoing, and we are in a better place for it. I'm looking forward and not back without a shred or regret or looking to blame anyone for where we are today or next year. But we will likely see the Flood dead horse beaten every time one of his recruits screws up or the team does not perform well. Don't see what point that serves. Let me be clear--this is not about being an apologist for Coach Flood--it is merely pointing out that Rutgers failed on many levels from his hiring to what transpired over the three years that followed--and he deserves a good amount of the blame, but certainly not all of it.

Wait. Your narrative was about "recruiting" classes, not who transferred out or got kicked off. Flood had the B1G to sell, got it. Flood also had no head coaching experience or any significant coordinator experience or any experience at a championship team before becoming head coach. He was given peanuts for the assistant coaching budget, and he had multiple disasters to deal with in an AD who kept embarrassing Rutgers, the faux bullying scandal, and the Mike Rice fiasco.
Remember Tyler Wiegers' comments?
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...ler_wiegers_on_his_rutgers_de-commitment.html

TW: It's just really been a culmination of the issues going on. It's nothing against the coaches, I love all those guys and built great relationships with them. But it was really a family decision, just where I want to be with a stable program and I'm not really sure about that with RU, right now. I hope that all clears up, but I guess right now I just want to take some other visits and see what else is out there. There is a lot going on right now, and the coaches say they'll clear it up soon. They want me to come back out for a visit in the future so that's a possibility. I'll talk that over with my family.

TW: I guess the events last week were kinda like, 'Yea, there's something going on here and we've got to take a look at this.' And I guess you could also say there has been a lot happen in the athletic department since I committed. So, I'm just not really sure. I want to be at a stable program and I don't want to leave that up to chance.

Add all that up (inherently uninspiring resume, not a great game day coach, not the strongest recruiter, bad assistants and no budget for assistants, bad AD, multiple off field issues) and it is no wonder the classes are what they are.

Some of you guys need to simply move on and stop pointing to one man for the problems of the past. There were multiple reasons for the failures- Barchi, Pernetti (he hired Rice and Flood and he and Barchi mishandled the Rice situation), Julie, and Flood himself. Ultimately, Flood's actions and inaction led to his undoing, and we are in a better place for it. I'm looking forward and not back without a shred or regret or looking to blame anyone for where we are today or next year. But we will likely see the Flood dead horse beaten every time one of his recruits screws up or the team does not perform well. Don't see what point that serves. Let me be clear--this is not about being an apologist for Coach Flood--it is merely pointing out that Rutgers failed on many levels from his hiring to what transpired over the three years that followed--and he deserves a good amount of the blame, but certainly not all of it.
I see what you're saying, but everything you mention has zero relevance to this thread or my original comment. I didn't just come out of nowhere and just bash Flood for no reason, which is what you're making it sound like. The Iowa fan asked about our team, I said we'll be alright this year because we've still got some studs leftover from Schiano's last class, but that the subsequent classes were less than stellar leaving us with a depleted roster. I don't think you disagree with that analysis, do you?

Thanks for the friendly post. Not all of our new BIG cousins are so nice.

Love Ash so far, but I have t believe it will not a be a quick turnaround. A few sub-par recruiting classes to overcome, and a tough schedule.

I see what you're saying, but everything you mention has zero relevance to this thread or my original comment. I didn't just come out of nowhere and just bash Flood for no reason, which is what you're making it sound like. The Iowa fan asked about our team, I said we'll be alright this year because we've still got some studs leftover from Schiano's last class, but that the subsequent classes were less than stellar leaving us with a depleted roster. I don't think you disagree with that analysis, do you?

Sorry, but just getting tired of the constant drum beating against the prior recruiting classes. You are correct that you did not bash Flood in your post. Did not mean to seem like I was lashing out at you or your post. Yes, the roster is not chock full of the talent seen at top level B1G programs. But we are just getting started in the B1G, and I prefer to look forward, not back. Peace.

Reactions: RU23
If you ever get a chance to go to the Iowa State Fair, take it. Pigs the size of New Brunswick. Cows the as big as Burlington County. Somebody judging the perfect poison ivy plant. A butter sculpture that is the equal to Michelangelo's David. Turkey legs. Emu on a stick. Fried Clark bars dipped in butter. Families that are not yelling at each other (until they get in the car).

[QUOTE="
Wonder if Hawkeye fans think their classes are "less than stellar" and if they cry about it as much when then went 12-2 last year. [/QUOTE]

With due respect to Iowa who was very good last year, they weren't winning 12 games if they played in the East. They may very well not have played on New Years Day.

We will keep a cold one on ice for you until the next visit. Enjoy the fishing.

[QUOTE="
Wonder if Hawkeye fans think their classes are "less than stellar" and if they cry about it as much when then went 12-2 last year.

With due respect to Iowa who was very good last year, they weren't winning 12 games if they played in the East. They may very well not have played on New Years Day.[/QUOTE]

Iowa won most league games handily last year, and was seconds from beating East Champ MSU. Hawks had one bad game of 14....a real bad one vs Stanford. Looking forward to playing RU finally on the turf. Ash is an Iowa boy and will have RU winning soon...hopefully not vs Iowa this year.

As for recruiting ... Iowa is a developmental program....never seem to score well in rankings, but churn out tons of NFL players. If Ash can develop his talent, and I think he can...RU will be good. Hope you guys get a win over PSU this year....Iowa goes to PSU this year...soften them up for us,ok?

I cannot wait to see what Iowans think of Jersey Sweet corn after their visit. I am hoping a lot of tailgate make the stuff and share.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT