ADVERTISEMENT

Here’s what a Joe Moorhead pursuit would cost

8-4 last year with (4) top-20 wins including #8 Auburn in Year 1. That’s hardly “underachieving.” I’ve been sad, slightly rough start to the season, but still has 5 regular season games to go.
LSU, at Texas A&M, Bama are three of the six of them - so he needs to sweep Ark and Ole Miss to get to a bowl

Why is Moorhead not working out at MSU?

I've read some things, but I'd like to hear the perspectives of his backers.

(He's not at the top of my list, but he's in the top 5.)
The competition in the SEC is too strong for Mississippi State just like the B1G East division is for Rutgers and most teams in the West division.

Reactions: TRU2RU and miketd1
If you want to believe that sure.
In Barkley’s freshman year he averaged about 100 yards a game rushing and PSU’s total offense was 348 yds a game.

They fire their OC and Moorhead gets the job.

in the next two years Barkley averages 110 and 100 yards a game rushing, and Penn State’s total offense rises to 430 and 470.

Moorhead isn’t my choice if we have the kind of money rumored to spend, but he can coach (you can look at his Fordham history for further evidence).

LSU, at Texas A&M, Bama are three of the six of them - so he needs to sweep Ark and Ole Miss to get to a bowl
EXACTLY how the 2013 Mullen situation played out. He was 5-6 and a 10 point underdog to Ole Miss going into the Egg Bowl. The day before Flood beats USF, Miss State beats up on Ole Miss and gets bowl eligible, and the cowbell corps go from firing Mullen to extending Mullen.

Let's go Ole Miss!

During James Franklin's first two years as head coach (and prior to Moorhead's arrival), the Penn State offense averaged 335.3 yards per game in 2014 and 348.4 yards per game in 2015. While learning Moorhead's offensive system during 2016, offensive output at Penn State improved to 432.6 yards per game
Penn State:
2016: 432 yards/game
2017: 460 yards/game
Post-Moorhead
2018: 423 yards/game
2019: 465 yards/game (not into heat of B1G schedule yet)

Mississippi State:
Pre-Moorhead:
2016: 440 yards/game // 30.4 pts/game
2017: 418 yards/game// 32 pts/game
Moorhead
2018: 397 yards/game // 28.5 /pts/game
2019: 376 yards/game // 26.8 pts/game

Don't really see a compelling case either way for Moorhead at PSU or MSU.

Maybe it is not a compelling case. But it would seem that is still better than OSU's defense taking a step backwards under Schiano.

Interesting. It is OK if Schiano's ceiling is 6-6 with an occasional 8-4 . But because Moorhead does that at a lower level SEC team in the toughest division in college football it is not good enough for us.

Haven't the past two weeks taught you that Schiano is held to a lower standard than other potential coaches?

He went 8-5 year. However, Miss St fans want a good old boy southern HC. So he is a Northeastern guy and everytime he opens his mouth the hate grows.

He is one of those guys that would be a MUCH BETTER fit here at Rutgers than Miss State. No one in their right mind in NJ will call for him to be replace after going 8-5!!! LOL, if anything we would be calling for him to get extended!
but for some ( not you) a record like this
( at Rutgers)
11-2
8-5
8-5
9-4
4-8
9-4
is grounds for not hiring

Moorhead would be a great hire and maybe better than the one that produced the record I posted. here.

In Barkley’s freshman year he averaged about 100 yards a game rushing and PSU’s total offense was 348 yds a game.

They fire their OC and Moorhead gets the job.

in the next two years Barkley averages 110 and 100 yards a game rushing, and Penn State’s total offense rises to 430 and 470.

Moorhead isn’t my choice if we have the kind of money rumored to spend, but he can coach (you can look at his Fordham history for further evidence).
That also coincides with sackenburg graduating and mcsorley starting. Mcsorley played in their bowl game in 2015 and the offense was immediately much more dynamic. I said before I think he’s probably a good coach but those penn state teams were loaded. All those guys are in the nfl.

Reactions: patk89 and redking
That also coincides with sackenburg graduating and mcsorley starting. Mcsorley played in their bowl game in 2015 and the offense was immediately much more dynamic. I said before I think he’s probably a good coach but those penn state teams were loaded. All those guys are in the nfl.
As mentioned by someone above, the line of argument that Moorhead’s PSU success was due to player talent makes Schiano look even worse, because he managed to underperform with an OSU defense that was loaded as well.

As mentioned by someone above, the line of argument that Moorhead’s PSU success was due to player talent makes Schiano look even worse, because he managed to underperform with an OSU defense that was loaded as well.
That’s just deflection on Moorhead. That team was loaded. Schiano struggled with 6 new faces. But I thought this thread was about Moorhead

Reactions: SCILS02
ah--if we only could wake up Lombardi --even then there would be reasons why he sucks

Reactions: Bagarocks
Uh not this again. Guys, please actually watch Miss St. this year. They are a complete joke and any educated football fan can see he is a complete disaster. HE JUST GOT SMOKED BY ONE OF THE WORST TEAMS IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL.

That’s just deflection on Moorhead. That team was loaded. Schiano struggled with 6 new faces. But I thought this thread was about Moorhead
Who's deflecting?

You are making a "new faces" excuse for Schiano right after you downplayed Moorhead's accomplishments because he got a NEW quarterback McSorley.

Which is it, is integrating new players hard or not?

Who's deflecting?

You are making a "new faces" excuse for Schiano right after you downplayed Moorhead's accomplishments because he got a NEW quarterback McSorley.

Which is it, is integrating new players hard or not?
I watch every penn state game every season. I was at their last 5 bowl games. Mcsorley was a difference maker day 1. He didn’t need a coach.

Absolutely. He owes his entire MSU contract to Saquon as I've posted several times on this board. If he is such an offensive genius then why can't he get a first down with his hand-picked qb at Miss St. against lowly Tennessee?

I watch every penn state game every season. I was at their last 5 bowl games. Mcsorley was a difference maker day 1. He didn’t need a coach.
So, McSorley was so good he didn't need a coach, but the new 4* and 5* star players Schiano was incorporating into the OSU offense were so bad they couldn't perform well last year despite Schiano's great coaching?

You Schiano toadies crack me up.

Why would he be a better fit here than at Miss St other than he’s from the area? It seems that he’s running behind the top schools in the SEC so not sure why fans think he’ll beat the top schools in the B1G. I’m not saying he’s a bad choice but for people calling for a top coach — he ain’t it.

Reactions: NewJerseyGuy
EXACTLY how the 2013 Mullen situation played out. He was 5-6 and a 10 point underdog to Ole Miss going into the Egg Bowl. The day before Flood beats USF, Miss State beats up on Ole Miss and gets bowl eligible, and the cowbell corps go from firing Mullen to extending Mullen.

Let's go Ole Miss!

Agree. With expected losses to LSU, Bama and A&M, a late season loss to Ole Miss could seal Moorhead’s fate with the MS Boosters.

But even if they want Moorhead out wouldn’t he accept a better offer than RU?

Why would he be a better fit here than at Miss St other than he’s from the area? It seems that he’s running behind the top schools in the SEC so not sure why fans think he’ll beat the top schools in the B1G. I’m not saying he’s a bad choice but for people calling for a top coach — he ain’t it.
Who knows? And it's one thing to lose games in the SEC, but another thing to be an "offensive guru" and not be able to put together a decent offense with a qb that you hand-picked. The offense looked like I was watching Drew Mehringer coach last week. Some guys are just meant to be coordinators and not head coaches. Borehead is one of them. RU better not get tricked again on this loser!

So, McSorley was so good he didn't need a coach, but the new 4* and 5* star players Schiano was incorporating into the OSU offense were so bad they couldn't perform well last year despite Schiano's great coaching?

You Schiano toadies crack me up.
I watched as mcsorley came into a game and lit penn states offense on fire before Moorhead stepped on campus. Watch the tape. Georgia and Penn State. You don’t seem too bright so you probably won’t notice the difference

Reactions: patk89
Why would he be a better fit here than at Miss St other than he’s from the area?
tenor-2.gif

Reactions: BLewis1968
well PSU hired him and so did Miss St--he must have some redeeming value

Joe Moorhead-to-Rutgers would make lots of sense for both sides

https://footballscoop.com/news/joe-moorhead-rutgers-make-lots-sense-sides/

Don’t like it!!!
Would make more sense for Moorhead than for Rutgers.
Pretty much failing at MSU and the cupboard was very well stocked for him.
Was only a head coach at Fordham.
Are we really going to turn our football program over to a guy whose biggest accomplishment was coaching Fordham??!!!
Do we really expect him to bring us to a Rose Bowl??!!! I don’t think so.

Don’t like it!!!
Are we really going to turn our football program over to a guy whose biggest accomplishment was coaching Fordham??!!!
TRUTH!

for me, Moorhead has been and is my # 1 candidate...he checks off all the important boxes for me:
--offensive coach with success at multiple stops...and style that is modern, and has worked in outdoor football in NE
--NE ties, at Fordham and as PSU OC
--head coaching experience, including at P5

That written, I dont' know how he is at recruiting, but I think that can be helped by staff he brings in...

I think going 5-7 or 6-6 at MSU helps us...

This is why waiting is important...

i don’t want an MSU reject.

Because sometimes it’s jot a good fit. He did well last year, this year hasn’t been what expected. Regardless, he’s an offensive guru, recruits very well, and is very popular with NJ HS coaches.

He was playing with the previous coaches players.

Doing worst with Dan Mullen’s players after a bad loss to Tennessee?
Don’t like it!!!

Buffalo Coach has a far better resume. Flood like running MSU into ground. If this is what consultant is suggesting can we get our money back?

Reactions: ru1869
I watched as mcsorley came into a game and lit penn states offense on fire before Moorhead stepped on campus. Watch the tape. Georgia and Penn State. You don’t seem too bright so you probably won’t notice the difference
I remember being in a bar/restaurant in New Brunswick closely watching that game. Soon after McSorley came in, the offense started rolling. And the two touchdowns they scored in the second half were passing plays.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=400852739

And 100% of the Miss St. fanbase wants him gone after only a year and half. That is not redeeming value.
silly reasoning--he was hired for about $3mill a year (and with guarantees)--some people smarter than you or I about the guy's qualifications obviously felt he was worth it and by the way i'll leave it up to those with the actual power to hire to make the decision who to hire

He went 8-5 year. However, Miss St fans want a good old boy southern HC. So he is a Northeastern guy and everytime he opens his mouth the hate grows.

He is one of those guys that would be a MUCH BETTER fit here at Rutgers than Miss State. No one in their right mind in NJ will call for him to be replace after going 8-5!!! LOL, if anything we would be calling for him to get extended!
he went 8-5 so did kyle flood in his first year

Reactions: SCILS02 and ru1869
silly reasoning--he was hired for about $3mill a year (and with guarantees)--some people smarter than you or I about the guy's qualifications obviously felt he was worth it and by the way i'll leave it up to those with the actual power to hire to make the decision who to hire
Yeah and the people "smarter" than us made a great decision huh? Lol. It's not rocket science. You do remember how Ash was hired don't you? Basically an epic con job!

Meyer (for every reason), Jones (more winning), Harsin (more winning).

Try to put yourself in the head of a high-school player (the overwhelming majority of whom are not RU fans and don't spend much, if any, time digging into the details of the backgrounds of all the college coaches out there the way obsessive older sports fans do). Also keep in mind that for high-school kids, the NFL gets a lot more of your attention; many are not likely to be very well schooled on NCAA football coaches.

And further assume you're a recruit with multiple P5 offers. So their perspective is very different from yours or mine. And it's their perspective that matters in terms of recruiting; not ours.

If a prospective coach recruiting you is Meyer, you know probably already know who he is even without being very engaged in college football. With Jones or Harsin and others, you probably head to the internet and start looking them up with the typical attention span of any high school boy.

So who can you look up online and instantly feel excitement about the stats posted there? Who, from examining their lifetime record and achievements, screams "winning coach"? Because, if you're a good athlete who is naturally competitive, winning is a huge deal. And because you're a kid that would rather be out chasing girls or hanging with your buddies, you aren't going to have a ton of patience for sifting through excuses, even very good ones, for why any particular coach failed to win a lot.

I'm not greatly familiar with all the coaches out there who are available, or who may become available at season's end. But I think our recruiting situation is such that we need a huge name (of which there aren't many and we probably won't spend that much), or a resume that speaks (quickly) for itself. So if I'm Hobbs, I get the search firm to identify who those guys are and I focus on them first.
Meyer isn’t coming for any amount of Money
Hardin isn’t coming and I’d bet good money that as long as you are putting yourself in a kids shoes they don’t know who he is. They don’t care about Boise. EVERY NJ kid knows Moorhead and PSU

ADVERTISEMENT