ADVERTISEMENT

Here is Barchi's report to the University Senate

Oh, hallelujah, an Office of Inclusion and Diversity!! With $22 million to spend on race-based hiring!! And an annual diversity symposium, for the diversity industry to talk about diverse diversity!!

"In implementing the Physical Master Plan for New Brunswick, we will first focus on Brower Commons and the Student Center, redeveloping that area in a targeted expansion using the Livingston redevelopment model as a guide." :-)

If they could knock down Records Hall too, that'd be great...m'kay?

"In implementing the Physical Master Plan for New Brunswick, we will first focus on Brower Commons and the Student Center, redeveloping that area in a targeted expansion using the Livingston redevelopment model as a guide." :)

How long till this happens?

I was actually back at Rutgers last week for a function and talked to Barchi about future construction. He was a little cagey about schedules, but did mention that they are "100% committed" and moving forward with the next phase of the Physical Master Plan, which is the guiding document for all NB development. We talked more about the construction on Busch, but I gathered that the College Ave quad outlined in the PMP is close to being given the green light. Here's the plan (as I'm sure people remember)...

CAC%20Main%20Campus%20Image.jpg

Last edited:
It's not clear to me whether George Street would remain open to vehicular traffic. If not, then where will the traffic coming off 18 go? I do like the idea of getting rid of Brower and moving the student center there.

It's not clear to me whether George Street would remain open to vehicular traffic. If not, then where will the traffic coming off 18 go? I do like the idea of getting rid of Brower and moving the student center there.

George St would remain open to vehicular traffic. As you note, there is no place to reroute the traffic.

If you look at the illustration in Waiohine's post above your's, you'll see a car on George St that looks like it is about to go under a pedestrian overpass. Near the car is what looks like an entrance to an underground garage.

I thought closing streets was off the table after the College Ave Greening was cancelled?

What might be interesting would be making George and College (and Nielsen downtown) one ways and add in bike paths or expanding the sidewalk.

I was actually back at Rutgers last week for a function and talked to Barchi about future construction. He was a little cagey about schedules, but did mention that they are "100% committed" and moving forward with the next phase of the Physical Master Plan, which is the guiding document for all NB development. We talked more about the construction on Busch, but I gathered that the College Ave quad outlined in the PMP is close to being given the green light. Here's the plan (as I'm sure people remember)...

CAC%20Main%20Campus%20Image.jpg
I can't wait for this to get done. It just dawned on me but it's silly that they would call 2 adjacent green spaces different things, the "Cultural Green" & the "Social Green." Really?! It's a quad! There's no need to name them differently. They're both the the quad or social green. /rant
"In implementing the Physical Master Plan for New Brunswick, we will first focus on Brower Commons and the Student Center, redeveloping that area in a targeted expansion using the Livingston redevelopment model as a guide." :)

I don't fully understand this quote as the new dining hall & campus center are at the other end of the drawing & would need everything demoed, including records hall, lab, learning center, parking lots & ROTC building. Are they building the cultural center & classroom & student lounge 1st? Doesn't make sense. They need to build a dining hall & student center 1st once the demo Brower & the student center. What are they doing to the current student center as that isn't reflected in the pic (maybe it's in some summary of the work that I don't recall?)?

That iconic open green space which would be the trademark of Rutgers campus needs to happen ASAP. Do this plus clean up those old, sad looking "houses" along College Ave which are used by the University in some sort of way. And I think you catapult College Ave to a premier beautiful campus. Drop an iconic statue or fountain in there too pretty please !

Reactions: Leonard23
ADVERTISEMENT