ADVERTISEMENT

Here we go...RU Lax

Golfer2019

Junior
Gold Member
Jul 19, 2018
Well a month from yesterday is the season opener vs Lafeyette...

The guys are getting back on campus as we speak ( I know one that flew back today and is safely back on the banks and ready to start this week)

The IL preseason issue (RU ranked #12) had a great write up on the team...hopefully this site will provide way more focus on content for lacrosse in the month ahead as pre season camp heats up...

Big Ten Preseason Rankings:

Maryland - 3
Hopkins - 8
PSU - 10
Rutgers - 12
OSU - 17
UM - 19

Very excited for this season...hoping for good health and a great run for the Scarlet Knights...it's pretty much go time. I can't wait to get out there for the first game

That's all I got...just needed to get a thread started and get some guys talking...this board has been lacrosse quiet too long.

I can’t go through the torture again this year; wake me up when our name is on the bracket lol!

Reactions: Bms22
Cant wait for the season. My 13 year old daughter (played 4 years now) asked if i can take her to the RU MD game. My 11 year old son is entering his second season and is hooked as well. Aren't season tix like crazy cheap to the tune of 40 bucks or something?
Edit: Just confirmed. My question is this. How in the world is it possible to watch an outdoor game in February? It must be difficult to play in February nevermind stand around and watch.

Last edited:
super excited about this upcoming season. I think the keys are staying healthy, how fast the new pieces jell (including the coaches), winning games on the road and no WTF losses. sounds like its a trip to NYC today and then testing and practice tomorrow.

Do not forget that if you coach lacrosse (either youth or HS) Rutgers is hosting the NJILCA coaches clinic this Saturday. The staff will speak and then you will get to watch practice. If you stay for practice make sure that you dress warm as the practice field are really cold.

A couple of things to watch (IMO) this early preseason will be the third defensive spot it seems to be a battle between 4 guys, how the midfield rotation works I count 10 middies that will be in the mix on offense and 5 at SSDM. with the advent of the shot clock I think you will see more middies playing both ways which may lead to some pick your poison moments where you sacrifice some of one for more of the other.

i think that if Rutgers can make the Big Ten Tournament (which they are Hosting) they will have a great shot to earn their first Big Ten Championship.

Cant wait for the season. My 13 year old daughter (played 4 years now) asked if i can take her to the RU MD game. My 11 year old son is entering his second season and is hooked as well. Aren't season tix like crazy cheap to the tune of 40 bucks or something?
Edit: Just confirmed. My question is this. How in the world is it possible to watch an outdoor game in February? It must be difficult to play in February nevermind stand around and watch.
Season tix are very cheap...I think $40...great value, even if you can't get to all the games...

As far as the cold, it's almost like the players are used to it...they don't like it, but they are all very very good athletes, and they seem to just tune it out...quality of play my slow just a touch in the very cold, but both teams are dealing with it...

As a spectator...it's very cold. I was at a game last year in late March at Canisius (Buffalo) and I don't think I've ever been colder at a game...

I think it's harder to watch in the cold then play...but that's just me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

super excited about this upcoming season. I think the keys are staying healthy, how fast the new pieces jell (including the coaches), winning games on the road and no WTF losses. sounds like its a trip to NYC today and then testing and practice tomorrow.

Do not forget that if you coach lacrosse (either youth or HS) Rutgers is hosting the NJILCA coaches clinic this Saturday. The staff will speak and then you will get to watch practice. If you stay for practice make sure that you dress warm as the practice field are really cold.

A couple of things to watch (IMO) this early preseason will be the third defensive spot it seems to be a battle between 4 guys, how the midfield rotation works I count 10 middies that will be in the mix on offense and 5 at SSDM. with the advent of the shot clock I think you will see more middies playing both ways which may lead to some pick your poison moments where you sacrifice some of one for more of the other.

i think that if Rutgers can make the Big Ten Tournament (which they are Hosting) they will have a great shot to earn their first Big Ten Championship.
Happy New Year RUfamily...good stuff

I liked your comment about the practice fields...is it me, or are there places we have all watched games or practices that are always just colder than you think it should be...even around my house here, certain high school fields seem like they're 15 degrees colder every time I go :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I look forward to some of your updates and analysis after you see practice on Saturday. I'd love to travel to scrimmages but that's just a bit too much...plus I'll be on a golf trip during the first scrimmage weekend :sunglasses:

Great thread, guys. I think we are all very excited for the season and beyond. It's going to be a very, very challenging schedule. Our conference schedule does us no favors, nor does our OOC schedule as it relates to home/away games. Even our home game should be wins are going to be tough, like Lehigh. Lots of bad blood there. But, it's the schedule we want to have moving forward, which is like the schedules we had under Coach Hayes. It will provide a lot of opportunity.

Hopefully we can remain healthy. Every team suffers injuries, but hopefully the get mitigated.

Season tix are super affordable. I'd get them for one game if I was there. Hell, I get them and don't even live there, lol.

I'll be back for the alum event and hopefully one more, probably pretty early in the season.

Best of luck to the squad!

Reactions: fredRU93
Season tix are very cheap...I think $40...great value, even if you can't get to all the games...

As far as the cold, it's almost like the players are used to it...they don't like it, but they are all very very good athletes, and they seem to just tune it out...quality of play my slow just a touch in the very cold, but both teams are dealing with it...

As a spectator...it's very cold. I was at a game last year in late March at Canisius (Buffalo) and I don't think I've ever been colder at a game...

I think it's harder to watch in the cold then play...but that's just me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I couldnt agree more about being colder watching. Id rather play with some under armor and pads than sit and watch with three blankets haha. Have the powers that be not considered moving the entire season back a month or would that take the teams too close to summer break? Attendance must really suck in February and March despite the program and the sport itself being such a good product to sell

I couldnt agree more about being colder watching. Id rather play with some under armor and pads than sit and watch with three blankets haha. Have the powers that be not considered moving the entire season back a month or would that take the teams too close to summer break? Attendance must really suck in February and March despite the program and the sport itself being such a good product to sell
They like playing in that Memorial Day weekend slot and they are not ready to give up on it. More and more teams want to play o e time per week so they keep pushing it earlier and earlier. When I was there we had plenty of mid week games

Games are a lot more fun than practice!
Agreed...practing in the cold in ANY sport sucks...

But these guys are used to it...high tech gear has made it much better than when my old body was playing football...the new materials by all brands are light, keep heat in, and allow for freedom of movement for the most part...aside from the hands, they are pretty warm...of course they prefer 75 and sunny...but the cold doesn't phase these guys...

Reactions: Caliknight
We practiced in the bubble almost exclusively and even had a few official games in there. In fact, I think that was one of the reasons I went there, lol...

Nothing worse than playing lacrosse in the cold. The worst I can remember is Ohio St. It was just warm enough not be snow. Like 33 degrees. And just absolutely pouring buckets. More clothing was of no use. Just pure misery.

Well a month from yesterday is the season opener vs Lafeyette...

The guys are getting back on campus as we speak ( I know one that flew back today and is safely back on the banks and ready to start this week)

The IL preseason issue (RU ranked #12) had a great write up on the team...hopefully this site will provide way more focus on content for lacrosse in the month ahead as pre season camp heats up...

Big Ten Preseason Rankings:

Maryland - 3
Hopkins - 8
PSU - 10
Rutgers - 12
OSU - 17
UM - 19

Very excited for this season...hoping for good health and a great run for the Scarlet Knights...it's pretty much go time. I can't wait to get out there for the first game

That's all I got...just needed to get a thread started and get some guys talking...this board has been lacrosse quiet too long.
2 chances for that B1G championship ... regular and/or tourney ... home field this year ... our Time

Happy New Year RUfamily...good stuff

I liked your comment about the practice fields...is it me, or are there places we have all watched games or practices that are always just colder than you think it should be...even around my house here, certain high school fields seem like they're 15 degrees colder every time I go :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I look forward to some of your updates and analysis after you see practice on Saturday. I'd love to travel to scrimmages but that's just a bit too much...plus I'll be on a golf trip during the first scrimmage weekend :sunglasses:
Thanks, happy New Year to you and your family. I hope to sneak into a practice prior to Saturday, if I do I will let you know how it went. How is your son feeling hopefully he is fully healthy and ready to go.

Thanks, happy New Year to you and your family. I hope to sneak into a practice prior to Saturday, if I do I will let you know how it went. How is your son feeling hopefully he is fully healthy and ready to go.
He's feeling good...excited about the season, opportunities and challenges ahead...see how it goes

With the ongoing struggles of football and MBB, we really need the lesser known teams to help RU's athletic perception. WBB is showing some serious signs of doing this and wrestling too.

With the ongoing struggles of football and MBB, we really need the lesser known teams to help RU's athletic perception. WBB is showing some serious signs of doing this and wrestling too.

Womens FH, Soccer and Rowing as well. Olympic sports show more promise but provide little revenue. The committee can't exclude RULax this year. Hope we can ruin someone else's dreams for a change.

If the guys stay healthy, this team should be very good...First practice was today...I heard it was good, energy was high...

Tough schedule, but that also means an opportunistic schedule...win a couple of the big out of conference games (Loyola, Cuse, Princeton, Lehigh)...win enough games in the Big Ten...win a game in the B1G Tourney and they would be tough to turn away...again, asusming no really bad losses...

Or, better yet, win the damn B1G Tourney (which is at home) and you don't have to worry about a selection committee or power rankings...just go get the AQ...That would be ideal

Lots of opportunity for this team...but it's not going to be easy...

If the guys stay healthy, this team should be very good...First practice was today...I heard it was good, energy was high...

Tough schedule, but that also means an opportunistic schedule...win a couple of the big out of conference games (Loyola, Cuse, Princeton, Lehigh)...win enough games in the Big Ten...win a game in the B1G Tourney and they would be tough to turn away...again, asusming no really bad losses...

Or, better yet, win the damn B1G Tourney (which is at home) and you don't have to worry about a selection committee or power rankings...just go get the AQ...That would be ideal

Lots of opportunity for this team...but it's not going to be easy...

Just get it done. No more excuses. Not trying to sound like a jerk, I’m a HUGE fan of Brecht and the program, And I completely understand that the NCAA screwed us at least once, probably twice, but JUST GET IT DONE fellas!!

Reactions: fredRU93
ADVERTISEMENT