ADVERTISEMENT

Here's to you, RU

hawkimatt

Redshirt
Oct 18, 2001
Good game today. Your guys gave great effort, which I think is a sign that they want to win for Ash and his staff. We had a great time chatting with your fans; nothing but class from everybody we met. When the schedule brings you our way in 2019, I hope you'll make the trip to Kinnick. Good luck the rest of the way.

we met some Iowa fans in New Brunswick on Friday and they were very cool and happy to be here.

I am very much looking forward to visiting historic Kinnick in 2019. I'm also hoping we'll be a far better team by then too. Love the B1G!!

Reactions: Scarletwoman
You guys were great as well OTHER THAN the "let's go Hawks" chant that was started 20 yards from one of our guys who was on the ground. That being said, nice showing, lots of great gear, and good people! Don't take the "booing" of your flags to tough, everyone has gotten that, lol!

I've been wanting to go to Kinnick since I was a kid. "Kinnick" is a nickname of my family's last name, for one, and also for the tradition, et al, that comes along with the place. Not happy I have to wait 3 freakin' more seasons though!!!

Reactions: RUReadyD
Curious as what your experience was like? What did you think of the game day environment? Anything surprise you or anything different than what you expected?

We had a pretty big Iowa tailgate next to us in yellow today (being hosted by an RU fan, who I think is the brother of the Iowa guy who brought all the folks). Very nice people - lots friendly banter and they seemed to really like our tailgate music.

We had a pretty big Iowa tailgate next to us in yellow today (being hosted by an RU fan, who I think is the brother of the Iowa guy who brought all the folks). Very nice people - lots friendly banter and they seemed to really like our tailgate music.

I loved all the Iowa fans I interacted with. They were great., Can't wait to go to their stadium.

I would have thought with the way we rotate through the Western Conference teams we were going to Iowa City next year. I guess not.

Iowa fans were great for the most part, except I didn't like the cheering from their section when Lambert was down on the ground, but I don't think it was anything intentional, just poor timing.

I would have thought with the way we rotate through the Western Conference teams we were going to Iowa City next year. I guess not.

Yeah it's a mis-mosh:

2016 Iowa, @ Minny, Ill
2017 @Nebraska, @Illinois, Purdue (had no clue we signed Buffalo and Texas St for home games...I thought one of the UCLA games got moved here?)
2018 Illinois, NW, @ Wisconsin
2019 @Iowa, Minny, @Illinois (Miami game no longer listed on sk.com?)

Pretty cool at HPSS, on the fence of the East side concourse just about where the north end zone addition starts, they had the next 4 years of B1G schedules on big posters.

http://www.scarletknights.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/schedule-future.html

Curious as what your experience was like? What did you think of the game day environment? Anything surprise you or anything different than what you expected?
Game day environment was great. Took the free shuttle from the train station to Johnson park, then went one of the tents across the street from the north entrance. The stadium and the area around it are really nice. You'll find that most other B1G stadiums are more confined by the campus and traffic. That's especially true at our place with our monster hospital complex across the street.

I was also amazed by the total lack of smack talk from your fans. Not the case in other venues, and we've got more than our share of a-holes in IC. You're very sportsmanlike, which is something college sports needs to get back.

I'm sorry for the timing of the "Lets Go Hawks" chant, but it wasn't meant to be disrespectful. When your student section started chantin "a-holes", we couldn't figure out why. Now I know. Hated to see that player carted off.

Wow, the Hawks were lucky to get a win today. Sorry I couldn't make it out to NJ for the game this year. Next time. I really like having you guys in the conference and couldn't be more proud of what you guys bring to the B1G. Here is to running through the Eastern division like shi$ through a goose.

USS-Iowa_zps6130fdfa.jpg

Glad you had a good experience. See you at Kinnick in 2019.

Game day environment was great. Took the free shuttle from the train station to Johnson park, then went one of the tents across the street from the north entrance. The stadium and the area around it are really nice. You'll find that most other B1G stadiums are more confined by the campus and traffic. That's especially true at our place with our monster hospital complex across the street.

I was also amazed by the total lack of smack talk from your fans. Not the case in other venues, and we've got more than our share of a-holes in IC. You're very sportsmanlike, which is something college sports needs to get back.

I'm sorry for the timing of the "Lets Go Hawks" chant, but it wasn't meant to be disrespectful. When your student section started chantin "a-holes", we couldn't figure out why. Now I know. Hated to see that player carted off.

I think, in general, opposing fans have found us very welcoming fans. It's phenomenal being in this conference and having some of these schools and fanbases to Piscataway NJ is going to be a real novelty and alot of fun for us for a while.

Now, penn state and Maryland are another thing all together. That environment is night and day from what you guys experienced as it should be. I feel Michigan is "getting there" when it comes to fan ire. But for the moment you are just our b1g brethren and we like you. So please take a dump on penn state and kick ass the rest of the year!!

Reactions: hawkimatt
I think, in general, opposing fans have found us very welcoming fans. It's phenomenal being in this conference and having some of these schools and fanbases to Piscataway NJ is going to be a real novelty and alot of fun for us for a while.

Now, penn state and Maryland are another thing all together. That environment is night and day from what you guys experienced as it should be. I feel Michigan is "getting there" when it comes to fan ire. But for the moment you are just our b1g brethren and we like you. So please take a dump on penn state and kick ass the rest of the year!!

I'm sure if we start getting competitive the other B1G teams will hate us for different reasons and we will become just as dickish as everyone else. That's when we'll know we've "arrived".

Wow, the Hawks were lucky to get a win today. Sorry I couldn't make it out to NJ for the game this year. Next time. I really like having you guys in the conference and couldn't be more proud of what you guys bring to the B1G. Here is to running through the Eastern division like shi$ through a goose.

USS-Iowa_zps6130fdfa.jpg
The class maybe named for the Iowa but everybody knows who is the head of the class...

A little history lesson for you...

big%2BJ.gif

Still doing it after all those years...

h90639.jpg

Beirut 1984...

220px-USS_New_Jersey_firing_in_Beirut%2C_1984.jpg

Due to her outstanding service record, New Jersey holds the distinction of being the most decorated battleship in US history.

Iowa named their stadium after the guy from Grease?
Who was Nile Kinnick?

Some Nile Kinnick quotes.

I like this one...

To be a tough, rugged boy is every lad’s ambition. But to be a gentleman, to be kindly, charitable, thoughtful as well as tough and rugged is much more to be desired. And he who can be both is much the better man and usually much tougher in the long run.
  • Letter to his younger brother George (July 18, 1938)

Last edited:

USS-Iowa_zps6130fdfa.jpg

Have you seen the USS New Jersey?

I'm sure if we start getting competitive the other B1G teams will hate us for different reasons and we will become just as dickish as everyone else. That's when we'll know we've "arrived".
Well, yeah. Natural progression. Effing Rutgers. Hate those bastids.

Yeah it's a mis-mosh:

2016 Iowa, @ Minny, Ill
2017 @Nebraska, @Illinois, Purdue (had no clue we signed Buffalo and Texas St for home games...I thought one of the UCLA games got moved here?)
2018 Illinois, NW, @ Wisconsin
2019 @Iowa, Minny, @Illinois (Miami game no longer listed on sk.com?)

http://www.scarletknights.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/schedule-future.html
Don't mean to sidetrack thread, but just to clarify future OOC schedules:
  • We play Buffalo and Texas St. in 2018, not 2017. Our three 2017 OOCs are all home games: Washington, Morgan State (our final FCS game) and Eastern Michigan.
  • UCLA games were originally scheduled for 2016 and 2017, and got moved back to 2020 and 2021 where they are currently positioned.
  • Interesting that the 2019 @Miami game is no longer listed. Originally it was a 2018-2019 home and home. We postponed the 2018 game, presumably because we already have a P5 OOC scheduled at Kansas and one P5 OOC per year is quite enough. The thought at the time was that the 2019 @Miami would remain intact, with the 2018 home game postponed to 2022 when we need a P5. But maybe the series is canceled altogether. Maybe maintaining a Florida presence is of less importance to the new regime?

Don't mean to sidetrack thread, but just to clarify future OOC schedules:
  • Interesting that the 2019 @Miami game is no longer listed. Originally it was a 2018-2019 home and home. We postponed the 2018 game, presumably because we already have a P5 OOC scheduled at Kansas and one P5 OOC per year is quite enough. The thought at the time was that the 2019 @Miami would remain intact, with the 2018 home game postponed to 2022 when we need a P5. But maybe the series is canceled altogether. Maybe maintaining a Florida presence is of less importance to the new regime?
Anybody remember when THIS game was the one talked about to be possibly at Yankee Stadium?

Reactions: RUskoolie
You guys were great as well OTHER THAN the "let's go Hawks" chant that was started 20 yards from one of our guys who was on the ground.
I
Yes, that was a surprise. A no class move by a fan base I expected more from. Also the hootin' an hollerin' while our alma mater played was rather declasse'.

That said all the Hawkeyes I meet in the lots were great and I am very excited to visit Kinnick in the future.

Sure I've seen similar from plenty of others including Rutgers fans. But I thought the combination of "Midwestern nice" and knowledgeable fans would preclude that sort of thing.

I'm guessing nobody in the Iowa media is going to take this opportunity to berate their fans. Hi Politi and DiIorio if you are here looking for story lines.

Yes, that was a surprise. A no class move by a fan base I expected more from. Also the hootin' an hollerin' while our Alma Mater played was rather declasse'.

That said all the Hawkeyes I meet in the lots were great and I am very excited to visit Kinnick in the future.

Sure I've seen similar from plenty of others including Rutgers fans. But I thought the combination of "Midwestern nice" and knowledgeable fans would preclude that sort of thing.
It was to me too.

And it looked like at one point the whole Iowa team was going to do what we do after game against the Service Academies....stand by while the opponent's Alma Mater is played.

I met several Iowa fans who wanted to "walk around our campus." They thought that the entire university was walkable from the stadium. I directed them to College Avenue to see the historic Old Queens campus - I wonder how many of our visitors never make it there.

-Scarlet Jerry
Early that morning I saw a group a Haweyes walking east on River Road in Highland Park from I assume NB/Albany St Bridge. I thought "Oh, they missed out on the scenic part of campus." Then I realized they would be walking through the railroad underpass with the bend in it. Hope they didn't get clipped by a car or truck.

Note re: schedule. Why was Northwestern so adamently against us in the B1G and why is RU not playing them in like forever? Chicago actually has cheap flights and a great road trip. And we have played them in the past. Odd.

Note re: schedule. Why was Northwestern so adamantly against us in the B1G and why is RU not playing them in like forever? Chicago actually has cheap flights and a great road trip. Odd.
Because they want to be the only one of "that" type school in the B1G?

And to your second part...not a bad crossover IMO for that along with a few other reasons.

Note re: schedule. Why was Northwestern so adamently against us in the B1G and why is RU not playing them in like forever? Chicago actually has cheap flights and a great road trip. And we have played them in the past. Odd.

Because they want to be the only one of "that" type school in the B1G?

And to your second part...not a bad crossover IMO for that along with a few other reasons.

It was BOTH Northwestern and Illinois at the time. They were simply adamant about no more expansion IIRC. Funny thing is Illinois becomes our "cross-division rival" lol!

Yes, that was a surprise. A no class move by a fan base I expected more from. Also the hootin' an hollerin' while our alma mater played was rather declasse'.

I'm guessing nobody in the Iowa media is going to take this opportunity to berate their fans. Hi Politi and DiIorio if you are here looking for story lines.

Another poster noted, in a similar thread, that those were not "Iowa fans," per say, but a large group of fans of their RB who went to Weequahic High School sitting down there in 102, who began the "Let's Go Hawks" chant when Lambert was down.

Matt, glad to see you had a great experience. Though unlike Rutgers (being in a metropolitan area between two major cities) in a sense you are "the only game in town" (Besides "state"-don't think Grinell is a threat anytime soon) my friends and I were impressed by the Hawkeye faithful turnout (the few at our tailgates were NJ or Iowa transplants. They were good fans inside the stadium also (one wrestler marine type was a bit on the "jumpy" side (the RU "that is another Rutgers first down annoyed him but he got into doing similar for the Hawkeyes)" -not sure nice he would have been if they had lost (high fived all around him after the game).

Feel bad for those who only came to town. New Brunswick ain't Chapel Hill though its improved over the years. Hope some made to the shore and NYC (and come back when its summer and NJ is about the best place on earth to be).

Another poster noted, in a similar thread, that those were not "Iowa fans," per say, but a large group of fans of their RB who went to Weequahic High School sitting down there in 102, who began the "Let's Go Hawks" chant when Lambert was down.
That makes a lot of sense but the Iowa fan base owns them now and is accountable for them,

From a fan standpoint, the divisional lineup hasn't been great for Northwestern because it means fewer games against OSU, Michigan, MSU and Penn State. These are four of the best draws in the league, and with Northwestern's relatively small enrollment and fan base they're seldom going to sell out their stadium without a big turnout by the visiting team. Since I live in the Northeast, the addition of Maryland and Rutgers actually affords me an opportunity to get to some games within a relatively short distance, but that is somewhat offset by fewer games against Penn State and the fact that we won't play Maryland and Rutgers that often. On the other hand, I think we play Michigan State for the next six years. Lucky us.

From a fan standpoint, the divisional lineup hasn't been great for Northwestern because it means fewer games against OSU, Michigan, MSU and Penn State. These are four of the best draws in the league, .

I'm gonna think Nebraska fans, who have taken over your stadium the last 2 times they've played there, might have something to say about that comment.

ADVERTISEMENT