ADVERTISEMENT

Hester could be back

Hope the sit down meeting results in Hester staying for his senior year.
The Secondary really needs him.

Staying injury free in 2018 ( Or as close to it ) is key to our success in ‘18.
Our depth is not there.

We could use him. But I would say that story was weak. I am not saying Hester will be or not be back, but Hunt was reporting on some rumor he didn’t substantiate. Crap reporting and stuff we have message boards for.
The headline was also misleading and I regret clicking.

Reactions: drewbagel423
We could use him. But I would say that story was weak. I am not saying Hester will be or not be back, but Hunt was reporting on some rumor he didn’t substantiate. Crap reporting and stuff we have message boards for.
The headline was also misleading and I regret clicking.

The headline was clickbait and a BS move by NJ.com. They had no intention of answering that question but they put the headline up anyway.

I have not read the article because I tend not to go to that site anymore but the topic has, for me, raised a question. We have a full incoming class. Hester, however, was already here. He gave up his ship to transfer out. Can he return and get his ship back or would the NCAA consider him to be the same as any other transfer? Since it is summer and last school year is over he is no longer a registered student, assuming he has transferred to another program (I do not recall if he did or not, my bad). If he is off the roles I have to think he would be treated as any other transfer and not allowed because the class is full. Can anyone clarify?

Can he return and get his ship back or would the NCAA consider him to be the same as any other transfer? Since it is summer and last school year is over he is no longer a registered student, assuming he has transferred to another program (I do not recall if he did or not, my bad). If he is off the roles I have to think he would be treated as any other transfer and not allowed because the class is full. Can anyone clarify?
I think he can. He has not transferred out yet and started classes at his new school. So basically consider it like a walk on getting a scholarship. You can do that and it doesn't count against the 25. Also Todderick needs to learn the rules we cannot accept a grad transfer for this year we are full at 25. They should be begging Hester to come back, pride be damned.

Reactions: RUinPAC10land
I think he can. He has not transferred out yet and started classes at his new school. So basically consider it like a walk on getting a scholarship. You can do that and it doesn't count against the 25. Also Todderick needs to learn the rules we cannot accept a grad transfer for this year we are full at 25. They should be begging Hester to come back, pride be damned.
Sounded like he meant for next year. 2018 is closed and we did add one already in Hilliman.

As per Todderick, graduate transfers can sign letters that bind school to players but not the player to the school. As long as Hester did not step foot in a class, he is ok. He also said that he is not sure if Hester signed anything. In short, he could be back and my fingers are crossed.

since it seems like Hester hasn't completed the work to graduate yet, his grad transfer request might not be official and he might have a chance to come back.
Don't know the NCAA rules covering giving up a scholarship at one college to become a grad transfer at another, but if Kiy's going to summer school on a Rutgers scholarship, theres a chance there wouldn't be a problem with the NCAA rulebook if he stayed.
The problem might be convincing him to stay and overcoming the reason he decided to leave

I don’t see where Hunt says Hester could be back, I see him speculating without a basis or support...I see him making a statement that might seem logical but isn’t based in any factual evidence...

Plus, let’s not forget that FIU is likely depending on his transfer and to go back on that would be the kind of poor character move that we get upset when kids decommit from us...

I don’t see where Hunt says Hester could be back, I see him speculating without a basis or support...I see him making a statement that might seem logical but isn’t based in any factual evidence...

Plus, let’s not forget that FIU is likely depending on his transfer and to go back on that would be the kind of poor character move that we get upset when kids decommit from us...
Hester went from DP to Joe’s and back to DP. He went to Miami and then Rutgers. He “left Rutgers”. From his track record, FIU would be pretty dumb to count their chickens before he ever arrived on campus.

Sounded like he meant for next year. 2018 is closed and we did add one already in Hilliman.
The question was, "Do you think Rutgers will get another grad transfer for this year?" He says yes then go's on to talk about Hester potentially coming back for this year. I may have misconstrued it but from the sentence structure it sure didn't seem like they were talking about 7 months from now.

I really could give two sh*ts if FIU's feelings get hurt. We lost a safety, we need a safety end of story. It's time one of these poor character events you described falls our way.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Hester went from DP to Joe’s and back to DP. He went to Miami and then Rutgers. He “left Rutgers”. From his track record, FIU would be pretty dumb to count their chickens before he ever arrived on campus.
So why again would we want him back?

I really could give two sh*ts if FIU's feelings get hurt. We lost a safety, we need a safety end of story.
Just pointing out the hypocrisy of the thread...it’s just humorous I could give two about FIU too...it’s just funny

The question was, "Do you think Rutgers will get another grad transfer for this year?" He says yes then go's on to talk about Hester potentially coming back for this year. I may have misconstrued it but from the sentence structure it sure didn't seem like they were talking about 7 months from now.
You’re right I missed that but I still think his answer was for next year and was a pretty general comment that it’s like free agency. In Hunts mind this year for recruiting is for 2019 since 2018 is over. Just my take.

Reactions: koleszar
I am very iffy on this for several reasons

-he still has a bad leg and didn't do the type of treatment on it that he would have done if he was still on the team.
-he missed 7 months of development. He hasn't been working out, practicing or training like a college football player for 7 months.
-we are basically adding a backup safety who will be out of shape and whose addition will rub other players the wrong way because he just up and left and comes back 7 months later.

I think we should just roll with who we have and coach up our freshman rather than burn a 2019 scholarship on this kid. Ash needs to go bowling though so he might gamble here.

Hester was one of our only players on Defense who got any All Big 10 recognition (honorable mention).
Even w a bad quad he was one of our leading tacklers in 2 of last 3 games.
Led the team In Defensive Touchdowns (2) and tied for 2nd in Interceptions.
He was needed for depth even w Gray on the roster, now w Gray gone and possibly other DBs, he is needed more than ever. He’s a seasoned, experienced ballhawk.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84

-he still has a bad leg and didn't do the type of treatment on it that he would have done if he was still on the team.
-he missed 7 months of development. He hasn't been working out, practicing or training like a college football player for 7 months.
-we are basically adding a backup safety who will be out of shape and whose addition will rub other players the wrong way because he just up and left and comes back 7 months later.

I think we should just roll with who we have and coach up our freshman rather than burn a 2019 scholarship on this kid. Ash needs to go bowling though so he might gamble here.
Why would Hester stop working out if he was going to be playing safety in college somewhere?

I don't know the details of his injury. Even so he would be foolish not to receive treatment for it, even if it wasn't with the team therapists.

I can see this argument. However, wouldn’t it be up to team leadership to make the final decision to let him back?

OTOH they might be happy that they have some experience back there. These guys want to win and will probably man up and put their feelings aside, whatever those sentiments may (or may not) be. If he contributes that goes a long way to earning redemption, if it's even needed.

I can see this argument. However, wouldn’t it be up to team leadership to make the final decision to let him back?

They might get a say but Ash will decide because it’s his ass on the line.

other outlets have reported ash has interest and will talk with him.

How do you know he isn't doing what it takes to be ready for FB season.
I'm sure FIU expects him to be ready to play and doubt RU would deny him treatment for an injury he received playing for Rutgers and played despite having it

I read it the same way. Would not put any money on his return. Poor journalism. :chairshot:

Reactions: JCKnight
The headline was clickbait and a BS move by NJ.com. They had no intention of answering that question but they put the headline up anyway.

When I was a 17-year old kid reporter on the student newspaper at Berkeley, I was told that a headline should never be a question unless the story actually answered the question. NJ.com and other intenrnet media outlets violate that all the time. You can tell from this what an old geezer I am now.

What has changed for Hester? If he stayed he would have likely started...looking at it from his perspective...I don’t see any reason why he would stay now vs before...I don’t feel like this was a matter of playing time so much as fit with the coaching...

Seems to me that since practice starts in a little over two weeks IF Hester is eligible to return AND the staff wants him to return AND he wants to return (I would assume all three of these criteria must be met if this is to happen) then it would have happened by now. My gut says this is not a real scenario but a possibility, question, idea started by TH to create a discussion on the NJ.com site. And we have picked it up and continued it here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT