ADVERTISEMENT

Highest rated recruit - All Time

RUDieHard

Sophomore
Dec 20, 2004
Who is currently our highest rated recruit at RU? Mathis I would think?

Who is the highest of all time at RU?

Would Cliff be the highest ?

Phil Sellers was before my time. I was a baby back then.

Mike Rosario was a heck of player and McDonalds AA. Unfortunately FHJ was the coach, but he could recruit.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Phil Sellers was before my time. I was a baby back then.

Mike Rosario was a heck of player and McDonalds AA. Unfortunately FHJ was the coach, but he could recruit.

Now I'm googling... Rosario was 55 LOL

Actually, Rob Hodgson was pretty highly rated I think.

Now I'm googling... Rosario was 55 LOL
Ah Gotcha ... yeah I was just going off the top of my head. I just remember St Anthony's was #1 in the country when he was there. It's too bad it didnt work out for him at RU.

Reactions: dpwhite
I know we probably don't have enough playing time for him, but this kid who's a Jr at the Patrick school is one hell of a player.... Jonathan Kuminga. . He's the #1 recruit in the country for 2021. I don't see that he has any interest in RU though. Probably going to a blue chip school with a bag man involved to either parents/handler/AAU coach. who knows. Hopefully we can get to the final 4 next year and some of these top 20 recruits give us a long hard look going forward! A guy can dream right? !!!!

Too young to remember Sellers but by all accounts he was the highest rated RU recruit of all time. Can’t get much higher than Top 5.

GO RU

Reactions: dpwhite
The number 1 recruit in the country would not have to worry about playing time here. Not that he is coming here.

Reactions: Pancho1939
I just remembered Wally Judge! Transferred from Kansas State to RU.
I had to look up his ranking he was the #18 in the country when he went to KState. He had all the physical tangibles... just didnt seem to have that mean streak that you really need at this level.

Dave - I think you even wrote that Judge would be the highest ranked player ever to play for RU ! No offense to Phil Sellers because it seems like if there were national rankings back then, Mr Sellers probably would have been our highest ranked.
https://www.onthebanks.com/2011/5/9/2162987/wally-judge-chooses-rutgers

Last edited:
Les Cason may have been number one flop. There was also Tillie from Philly. Cason was a Vitale recruit while Tillman was a Young recruit. Sellers was also a Vitale recruit. At times and in some publications Cason was they number one kid in the nation. If you have a Street and Smith from way back you can check it out.

Last edited:
For the older guys how high was Mike Dabney ranked? He was all-state is all I know.

Todd Billet was rated at # 25 in the country by one publication and Kentucky was really after him. Clarence Tillman who went to Kentucky and transferred to RU was out of Philly and was ranked in the Top 15 in the country by Street & Smith. Lloyd Moore who I think transferred to RU from Marquette was ranked in the Top 20 of the nation by Street & Smith's.

Todd Billet was rated at # 25 in the country by one publication and Kentucky was really after him. Clarence Tillman who went to Kentucky and transferred to RU was out of Philly and was ranked in the Top 15 in the country by Street & Smith. Lloyd Moore who I think transferred to RU from Marquette was ranked in the Top 20 of the nation by Street & Smith's.

Tillman could really shoot and was strong but lacked any quickness. I loved Lloyd Moore. He was huge and had a soft touch and many jokingly called him Load Moore because he was so incredibly out of shape.

Reactions: LC-88 and shields
Les Cason may have been number one flop. There was also Tillie from Philly. Cason was a Vitale recruit while Tillman was a Young recruit. Sellers was also a Vitale recruit. At times and in some publications Cason was they number one kid in the nation. If you have a Street and Smith from way back you can check it out.
Cason was #1 rated high school player in the country his junior year. Senior year didn’t compare. Accepted scholarship to Long Beach with Jerry tarkanian. Didn’t qualify and wound up at San jacinto junior collage before making his way to RU. Was never the same player he was junior year in high school.

I remember Lloyd very well. The guy to ask about him is our color commentator, Joe Boylan. Joe was assigned to pickup Lloyd and see he didn’t over eat all day and then to make sure he went to class. Kid had a hell of a jump shot from 20. No discipline and ate himself into a mountain when Craig got here and got thrown off the team. My history with Fred and Craig goes way back. Gruninger refused to make Boylan, Toms number one guy, full time coach. Fred in his stubborn infinite wisdom ruined the program.He was warned that Page was going to be let go by Penn because they could not fire him until his contract was up because he was a connected alum. Fred refused to believe the information and said the people he spoke to at Penn were lying to keep Page there. Well the rest is history and so you see how one person killed what was then one of the elite Eastern Hoops Programs. That was 35 years ago.

I know we probably don't have enough playing time for him, but this kid who's a Jr at the Patrick school is one hell of a player.... Jonathan Kuminga. . He's the #1 recruit in the country for 2021. I don't see that he has any interest in RU though. Probably going to a blue chip school with a bag man involved to either parents/handler/AAU coach. who knows. Hopefully we can get to the final 4 next year and some of these top 20 recruits give us a long hard look going forward! A guy can dream right? !!!!
Playing time shouldn't be a problem for a number 1 rated recruit regardless of the school he chooses.

Reactions: wheezer
For the older guys how high was Mike Dabney ranked? He was all-state is all I know.

From the old street and smith magazines ...and trying to put it into today’s terms

Phil sellers was a legit 5 star top 10 player
Mike dabney was a legit 4 star top 50-75 player
Hollis Copeland was a legit 4 star top 75-100
Abdel Anderson was a low 4 star top 100-150

James Bailey and Eddie Jordan weren’t nationally ranked ..under the radar

Herve lamiazna was a legit top 25 prospect and parade all American

Eddie starks was also the forgotten one

A parade all American in the same class as Herve ...never made it here due to grades

The 7’ big guy from Elizabeth the year before ...in Todd billet ...Josh Moore...was nationally ranked 25-50...never made it rutgers

Bannon could really recruit ...but that’s about it

Cason was #1 rated high school player in the country his junior year. Senior year didn’t compare. Accepted scholarship to Long Beach with Jerry tarkanian. Didn’t qualify and wound up at San jacinto junior collage before making his way to RU. Was never the same player he was junior year in high school.

Les Cason was coaches by dick vitale in high school before vitale was a Rutgers assistant

Reactions: wheezer
Tillman could really shoot and was strong but lacked any quickness. I loved Lloyd Moore. He was huge and had a soft touch and many jokingly called him Load Moore because he was so incredibly out of shape.
Who was the S&C coach in the Lloyd Moore time frame?

Reactions: Unionst
I just remembered Wally Judge! Transferred from Kansas State to RU.
I had to look up his ranking he was the #18 in the country when he went to KState. He had all the physical tangibles... just didnt seem to have that mean streak that you really need at this level.

Dave - I think you even wrote that Judge would be the highest ranked player ever to play for RU ! No offense to Phil Sellers because it seems like if there were national rankings back then, Mr Sellers probably would have been our highest ranked.
https://www.onthebanks.com/2011/5/9/2162987/wally-judge-chooses-rutgers

Oh good call on Wally! It's hard with Sellers because--I'm guess there weren't rankings back then.

Reactions: red sail
How about Roy Hinson? Interesting that a 6’9” local kid was under the radar too? Was it just RU and UCLA?

A friend of mine worked with Kadeem Jack on the Lakers G league team.

He said Jack was a very interesting kid. He did seem to march to the beat of his own drum. He said Jack was a very interesting kid. He did seem to march to the beat of his own drum. With the right coach, he could have had more improvement. Mike Rice/ Eddie Jordan had different recruiting styles than Steve Pikiell which is part of the reason Pikiell has had more success. Pikiell recruits who the person is without a ball. There is a lot to be said for that.

Wally Judge came from a very tough background. He seems to be doing all right now which I am happy to see.

Someone recently from Rutgers who has had a little success in the G league is J J Moore. He played for Westchester Knicks for a while and had some really good games.

Last edited:

to say that Cason was not a good college student would be kind....it was amazing that he was able to be in college at all, jockeying between junior college, then RU, till he could not hide it anymore

I was going to suggest Clarence Tillman as one of the higher ranking RU players....he did start out at Kentucky, so he must have been highly ranked.

ADVERTISEMENT