ADVERTISEMENT

Hire Terry Shea as QB Coach

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
Though a failure as Rutgers Head Coach, he would succeed as QB Coach.

http://www.coachshea.com/Terry_Sheas_QB_Score/Home.html

Key Highlights

1. -Shea trained Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia for the 2015 NFL Draft

2. -Shea trained David Fales, QB, San Jose State for the 2014 NFL Draft at Athletes Performance in Phoenix, Arizona.

3. -Shea developed & trained 2013 NFL fourth round draft selection Tyler Wilson for the 2014 NFL Draft.

4. -Shea developed & trained Heisman Trophy Winning Quarterback, Robert Griffin III (Baylor) for the 2012 NFL Draft. RG3 was the overall #2 NFL draft pick by the Washington Redskins.

5. -Shea developed & trained 2011 NFL first round, #10 overall draft selection Blaine Gabbert (Jacksonville Jaguars).

6. -Shea developed & trained 2010 overall #1 NFL draft pick Sam Bradford (St. Louis Rams).

7. -He prepared the 2009 #1 overall NFL draft pick Matthew Stafford (Detroit Lions).

8. -Shea trained & developed NFL first round draft picks Josh Freeman (Tampa Buccaneers) & Brady Quinn (Denver Broncos).
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...isappointing_time_at_rutgers_in_the_past.html

Reactions: asgot
actually actually he would be a phenomenal offense of coordinator. While he was terrible as a program manager, he got more out of players that probably did not belong on a football field than anybody probably could have.

Al, this is one time you make sense. This is where Terry excells. Maybe he could be the 10th coach. At the least bring him in for the spring practices.

Reactions: rutgersal
Yes and when he stinks we can always fall back on he’s a great mentor/former HC around to help our own HC be a HC .

I can’t imagine being TS and walking into the Hale Center in 2017 and just realizing just how much money is spent on this level now. I’m sure he understands, but to be him and walk into the same building as 2000 would have to be a crazy feeling. I remember once talking to him at a media availability hour in the Busch dining hall and there were only two media members there.

maybe we can bring back Dick Anderson as DC while we are it?
Graber can coach special teams?

pass...we need an heir apparent to Kill, and someone who is ready to be an OC and not a running-only OC. While our personnel forces us to run, that's Kill's Minny teams used to do. Resigno is a poor man's Leider...

Reactions: cicero grimes
actually actually he would be a phenomenal offense of coordinator. While he was terrible as a program manager, he got more out of players that probably did not belong on a football field than anybody probably could have.
Absolutely, Song with the Fridge.

I put forth this idea at the beginning of the season. Shea had great shortcomings as the Head Coach of a D1 program, but he is a very good football coach.

I don't think it happens, but if it did... I'd be delighted.

Funny, but as I recall, all my ex girl friends were beauty queens. Or so I’d like to think, ha !

This Terry Shea thing is a joke, right ?

Only at Rutgers would fans long for the return of Terry Shea. Not sure if funny or sad. Maybe both?

Reactions: RURod
Funny, but as I recall, all my ex girl friends were beauty queens. Or so I’d like to think, ha !

Only at Rutgers would fans long for the return of Terry Shea. Not sure if funny or sad. Maybe both?

The discussion is purely with respect to the role of quarterbacks coach.

For that, Terry Shea is eminently qualified. He's recognized as one of the best in the game. For you to attempt to obfuscate that point and derail the thread is sophomorish.

The discussion is purely with respect to the role of quarterbacks coach.

For that, Terry Shea is eminently qualified. He's recognized as one of the best in the game. For you to attempt to obfuscate that point and derail the thread is sophomorish.

Ok, so who said that we are looking to hire a QB coach ? Got any sources ?

Not sure why this thread went off the rails. Terry Shea is known throughout both college and pro football as an excellent offensive mind and a near-brilliant quarterbacks coach. He's also 71 years old, and a toxic name among Rutgers football fans.

It's one thing to have a head coach willing to have a former head coach around as a coordinator. But a coordinator who was a head coach to have a former head coach around as quarterbacks coach? That's a stretch.

Anyway, there's this:

Of all the QB coaches and gurus in the world, someones want TS to walk into our gin joint. Hmm...An interesting idea, as is the idea of a QB consultant in general, and especially with TS's expertise, but why do some on this board wax nostalgic for former coaches to save us?

Here's another idea: Phil Simms. He's close by, won a Super Bowl and what does he do in his spare time off-season?

Reactions: letterman
Of all the QB coaches and gurus in the world, someones want TS to walk into our gin joint. Hmm...An interesting idea, as is the idea of a QB consultant in general, and especially with TS's expertise, but why do some on this board wax nostalgic for former coaches to save us?

Here's another idea: Phil Simms. He's close by, won a Super Bowl and what does he do in his spare time off-season?

Simms doesn't care for the program.

Also, he's a douche. JMO.

No. Let me think about this again. No. Terry Shea is toxic waste. Let him nowhere near this program.

Mr. Shea knows how to pass the ball. Mr. Kill knows how to run the ball. Mr. Ash does not know how to be a successful head coach. Easy analysis.

Fridge should be our head coach. Shea and Kill should be co-offensive coordinators. Dick Anderson our D Coordinator. All should coach from the press box for a variety of reasons.

Fridge should be our head coach. Shea and Kill should be co-offensive coordinators. Dick Anderson our D Coordinator. All should coach from the press box for a variety of reasons.

You joke, but..

If we had hired Fridge as head coach when Greg left, we would be in a very very different place right now (he was no longer with Maryland at that point)

He would have been an amazing transitional coach for someone like Ash to learn under

Al, this is one time you make sense. This is where Terry excells. Maybe he could be the 10th coach. At the least bring him in for the spring practices.
This makes absolutely no sense. The guy would be 72 years old by the time next season rolls around. Do you think he has the energy to put in the hours coaching and recruiting? At 72 years old how long do you think he going to keep at it? If you are a recruit I would be very skeptical to commit knowing he probably not going to be around long. You also can't just bring a guy in for spring ball. He would have to be one of the 10 assistant coaches to work with QBs on the field. Do you then bring in another coach after spring ball to be the 10 assistant for the fall. That would make zero sense.

This makes absolutely no sense. The guy would be 72 years old by the time next season rolls around. Do you think he has the energy to put in the hours coaching and recruiting? At 72 years old how long do you think he going to keep at it? If you are a recruit I would be very skeptical to commit knowing he probably not going to be around long. You also can't just bring a guy in for spring ball. He would have to be one of the 10 assistant coaches to work with QBs on the field. Do you then bring in another coach after spring ball to be the 10 assistant for the fall. That would make zero sense.

Im surprised that you of all people would raise age concerns as Joe Pa and his band of geriatrics coached well past their prime. His recruiting would be limited to quarterbacks. We would make it work.

Reactions: RUsSKii
maybe we can audition Rettig and CL as the QB coaches. Would really spark interest on this board.

Simms doesn't care for the program.

Also, he's a douche. JMO.

Can’t (couldn’t?) stand him as a color guy. As far as he’s concerned the quarterback should literally never, ever, be touched. It’s a little annoying.

Im surprised that you of all people would raise age concerns as Joe Pa and his band of geriatrics coached well past their prime. His recruiting would be limited to quarterbacks. We would make it work.
Joe hanging on way to long is why Penn State had all those losing seasons. You also can't have one coach just recruiting one position. That would handicap your program and recruiting even further. Even if he did recruit just QBs why would a high school kid want to comit to him? What are the chances of him being around 5 years down the line?

Until we get a cadre of quality QBs on our roster, the best QB coach on earth won't make a material difference. Having said that, Lewis and Sitkowski seem to have the abilities that could be aided with top quality QB coaching such as Shea could provide.

And then we would need top quality WR coaching and OL coaching unless the all world QB threw to himself.

You joke, but..

If we had hired Fridge as head coach when Greg left, we would be in a very very different place right now (he was no longer with Maryland at that point)

He would have been an amazing transitional coach for someone like Ash to learn under
Anderson passed away a few years ago.

Or, now hear me out now, we just hire a QB coach with less baggage around Rutgers? I know that would be crazy right?

Shea will always be linked with the worse era of Rutgers Football.

I’ve run into his son Garrett Shea, who run USA football in south Jersey. He said Shea has never returned to RU once since leaving in 2000. Terry lives in Arizona and semi-retired and is content to work with whoever comes out to Arizona. I doubt he would take a minor staff role. If he did, he could probably could have done so for a perennial power.

Reactions: redking
Ray Lucas has seen what the current state of affairs is (and seems to have lots of suggestions - lol). What does he do besides broadcasting now?

Though a failure as Rutgers Head Coach, he would succeed as QB Coach.

Key Highlights

1. -Shea trained Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia for the 2015 NFL Draft

2. -Shea trained David Fales, QB, San Jose State for the 2014 NFL Draft at Athletes Performance in Phoenix, Arizona.

3. -Shea developed & trained 2013 NFL fourth round draft selection Tyler Wilson for the 2014 NFL Draft.

4. -Shea developed & trained Heisman Trophy Winning Quarterback, Robert Griffin III (Baylor) for the 2012 NFL Draft. RG3 was the overall #2 NFL draft pick by the Washington Redskins.

5. -Shea developed & trained 2011 NFL first round, #10 overall draft selection Blaine Gabbert (Jacksonville Jaguars).

6. -Shea developed & trained 2010 overall #1 NFL draft pick Sam Bradford (St. Louis Rams).

7. -He prepared the 2009 #1 overall NFL draft pick Matthew Stafford (Detroit Lions).

8. -Shea trained & developed NFL first round draft picks Josh Freeman (Tampa Buccaneers) & Brady Quinn (Denver Broncos).
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...isappointing_time_at_rutgers_in_the_past.html

As good a QB trainer as Terry Shea may be, only 2 of those guys turned out to be serviceable/decent QBs in the NFL. Griffin, Freeman, Quinn, and Gabbert are busts. 3 of those 4 are out of the league. Gabbert should have been out of the NFL years ago.

Last edited:
Why cause they always like to return to the scene of the crime and like to help law - enforcement?

Get Schiano back here and Ash back to OHIO.

F - Terry Shea

Bring back the guy who won 11 games in 5 years here and took Rutgers to the depths of the college football world ?
IMO we should look for a qb coach with a similar skill set, but one not having the baggage of nearly destroying the RU football program.

Reactions: Knightmoves
ADVERTISEMENT