ADVERTISEMENT

Hold Myles to 4 to 5 minute mark

yellowlot

Junior
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2003
Thought, I really like Myles Johnson as player and he seems like a great, smart kid, He is a difference maker in the game, his issue is early foul trouble. Could we steal minutes at the start from Doucoure or Shaq C, and start them and come back with Myles at 4 min mark? Maybe he can see how the game is being called, check out the flow and we have him for more minutes late?

Reactions: scarletmaniac828
I can see not starting him at times, depending on the matchup, assuming you mean until 4 minutes have gone by, from the start of the game (and not at the 4 minute mark left in the half).

Thought, I really like Myles Johnson as player and he seems like a great, smart kid, He is a difference maker in the game, his issue is early foul trouble. Could we steal minutes at the start from Doucoure or Shaq C, and start them and come back with Myles at 4 min mark? Maybe he can see how the game is being called, check out the flow and we have him for more minutes late?

Interesting idea....maybe worth exploring.

Refs always seem to call plays against us...even thou I know we get some calls (way fewer than we should): I hate cognitive dissonance...and Festinger sux.

MO :CHOP:

Reactions: ScarletDave
Johnson is an engineer and a division 1 athlete. Good on him! That is a enormous task.

Reactions: FastMJ
Rather than shielding him, his obvious intelligence needs to transfer to the court. Learn that early fouls are a killer and know how to manage them when you get them. Understand they give you 4 fouls...not 5. At 5 they don’t let you play anymore.

I know this is a thought that people have. I respect it. However I disagree with it.

I do think foul #1 he comes out. He needs to not play longer than 7-8 minute stretches. We have to clean up ANY offensive fouls from screens. That should be easy.....and a lot of it is on the guards.

I get the high screens, it gets the opposing shot blocker out of the picture and it gives Myles a chance on a roll situation to get the ball down low, BUT maybe we need to allocate more time with him actually on the low blocks and getting low post entries off of ball reversals.

N no and no ! Myles is a beast on both ends of the court and is being hosed by the refs so far this year. He is a difference maker on both ends of the court and needs to play as much as possible. The guards have to wait for him to become stationary when he is setting the screen before they make their move as they have cost him 1-2 fouls a game. The guards have to be smarter. Myles is already one of the smartest players on the court and off the court for that matter.

I know this is a thought that people have. I respect it. However I disagree with it.

I do think foul #1 he comes out. He needs to not play longer than 7-8 minute stretches. We have to clean up ANY offensive fouls from screens. That should be easy.....and a lot of it is on the guards.

I get the high screens, it gets the opposing shot blocker out of the picture and it gives Myles a chance on a roll situation to get the ball down low, BUT maybe we need to allocate more time with him actually on the low blocks and getting low post entries off of ball reversals.
People keep saying this about the moving screen calls, but at least last game replays showed he was completely set. The guard did nothing wrong, the ref did.

He has a reputation, and flipping the bird at MSU, while hilarious, may not have helped.

People keep saying this about the moving screen calls, but at least last game replays showed he was completely set. The guard did nothing wrong, the ref did.

He has a reputation, and flipping the bird at MSU, while hilarious, may not have helped.

He flipped the bird at MSU?
Where was I......(I know i was on my couch, but I missed it)

I saw a ton of non calls that could have been called vs. Wisconsin. At least 5 times our guards were premature.

Last year I made myself watch a quarter in a NBA finals game. 2 disgusting things.
1. It is a 3 point shooting contest
2. Moving screens happen on almost every possession. i watched in horror as refs just watched.

Reactions: littlenis5
Myles gets some of the blame for sure, but I've never seen so many soft calls against a big man. As Steve Bardo said on the last broadcast, Myles gets fouls based on "reputation" when there really is no foul. Bardo also said Pike may need to take a technical or two to make that stop. I agree.

Reactions: KevH
Strongly agree with GRF on this. Get him the ball on the low or high post. If he gets a foul, I’d even consider going to Yeboah at the 5. If we’re ever going to try a true small ball lineup, let’s do it against a team who’s center has limited offensive skills and is a monster defending the rim to pull him out to the perimeter.

Nah. We roll with Myles and then Shaq off the bench. I don't want to see Doucoure at all. If we get in foul trouble, we go small with Yeboah and Harper up front.

Agree. Doucoure is lost and should only be used sparingly like if both Johnson and Carter have 2 first half fouls.

I agree this would be a commendable strategy for Pike I would be impressed but our sports teams don’t usually think outside the box ... the refs are human and the emotions and energy will be high in the arena at the start and the whistles will be blowing (as they always are at the beginning of a game). Hold him out until the first media timeout to save an early foul or even 2

If you want to be purely analytical about this......

You want maximum production out of him. This means there is an optimal amount of minutes with an optimal amount of rest at the optimal time. In addition, all minutes are equal (this is where you can poke a hole I suppose)

Solving for this equation having him come off the bench would not be close to the answer. Why minimize his minutes and have him rest (beginning of the game) when he is not tired.

Without thinking about game flow and personnel the opponent has on the floor I'd think optimal solution could be.

20:00 - 16:30 3.5
13:00 - 8:30 4.5
6:00- 0:00 6

14 * 2 halves = 28 minutes

Reactions: ruready07
On a related note......why do most coaches break up games in 2 halves. Why not break up games in five 8 minute stretches?

If you get 2 fouls sit until the last media timeout of the 1st half. If you get a 3rd foul sit out until the 1st media timeout of the 2nd half

I think two things lend themselves to fouling. One is being too aggressive and/or frustrated. The other is fatigue.
If the coaches can see that a player is in either mode, sit him down for awhile.

Can't Pike challenge the call?

Just wondering.

MO

I can see not starting him at times, depending on the matchup, assuming you mean until 4 minutes have gone by, from the start of the game (and not at the 4 minute mark left in the half).
yes for sure...sorry to mess that up

On a related note......why do most coaches break up games in 2 halves. Why not break up games in five 8 minute stretches?

If you get 2 fouls sit until the last media timeout of the 1st half. If you get a 3rd foul sit out until the 1st media timeout of the 2nd half
This makes sense, especially when a coach sits a guy like Myles for the last 10 minutes of the first half just because he has 2 fouls.

It’s as though Pike is purposely “fouling out” his key player and potentially putting us in a hole in the first half just because of that second foul.

I can see sitting Myles for 4 minutes or so, but a full 10 minutes is just too much imo. It’s like he already fouled out if he’s sitting on the bench that long.

And lastly, it assumes that Myles will eventually foul out anyway. I hate that thinking. So in other words, you’re gonna sit your key guy for such a long stretch just because he “might” eventually foul out?

Huh? Isn’t sitting him down for so long just purposely doing what you were trying to avoid?

ADVERTISEMENT