ADVERTISEMENT

Holiday Festival at MSG date announced (RU in 1 of the 2 games)

Local Shill

Hall of Famer
Aug 30, 2001
Easton Avenue's finest gin mills
We knew RU was playing Fordham. We didn't know the date and I didn't know about the other game there before this was tweeted. A Sunday afternoon about a month and change before that disaster against Wisconsin in the same building.

That used to be an 8 team tournament that was a great showcase for eastern basketball back in the 60s and 70s. Now it's just a shadow of its former self.

The best game I've ever seen in person was the triple OT victory over Ohio State in the final of the 1979 Holiday Festival final. Duke and St. John's were the other two teams in that tournament, so by then it had already shrunk from 8 teams to 4.

Since those days, the in-season tournament emphasis seems to have shifted to offshore tournaments that don't count in the number of games permitted during one season. There also seems to have been a proliferation of these strange tournaments where major teams get 2 home games against low majors, then convene in one location for the semis and finals. Those tournaments seem to completely lack any identity.

Thanks.

Glad to see there's a decent 2nd game of local interest.....maybe Mullin will suit up and hoist some 3's....

Saw the Bob Lanier led Bonnies beat the Rick Mount led Boilermakers in one of the best games I ever saw in MSG.

Still believe to this day if Lanier doesn't get injured in the NCAA tournament the Bonnies would have been National Champs.

My first holiday tournament was watching Jimmy Walker and Providence at the "old" garden on 8th ave around 50th street.

I felt so bad when Bob Lanier got hurt. I was pulling hard for the Bonnies to win it all that year and I also think they would have won.

I only attended one B-Ball game at the old MSG and that was the Knicks vs. the Pistons in the very first game that Bill Bradley played for the Knicks after he returned to the USA from England. What an exciting game as my friend and I could only buy standing room tickets. The Garden rocked all night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT