ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops great Roy Hinson on The Scarlet Spotlight podcast

RUJON

All Conference
Gold Member
Jun 23, 2001
Best of both worlds episode for me and Danny as the all-time great center joins us.

I broadcast many of Roy's games on WRSU in the 80's and Danny of course loves talking hoops.

We explore Hinson's career at Rutgers and his NBA career (some great stories) and his job now educating NBA players about money matters.

https://www.thescarletspotlight.com/podcast/2020/7/30/episode-62-roy-hinson

After the interview we explore the current COVID situation as it relates to fall sports.

As always please provide comments and feedback below.

Thanks, Jon

Wrote on the Round Table about the terrific win over UCLA at the Meadowlands. Roy was terrific player.

Reactions: RUJMM78
Loved Roy! A guy who came in under the radar a little and just developed into a great player. Although, I think in today's recruiting world, he never would have been under the radar.

Reactions: shields
Had a very good coach to develop him. And loved the story about John Pinone and Hinson, think it was by wheezer.

Pinone was a thorn in Rutgers side.
Drove me crazy. Guy looked like someone you would see playing in an over 40 league. He would stick his big butt into the guy guarding him in the post and somehow score.

Jon, if you ever got John Battle would be great. My favorite player all time. And yes my name is Shields, but loved Battle. Loved the picture of him on the tank.

Last edited:
Another excellent interview and podcast Jon and Danny. Roy was a freshman when I was a senior manager. Really nice guy and became a tremendous player.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Reactions: rutgersfandan
Thing I could not believe was when Matt Guokas told him he did not want him. Can you imagine that? New team and by the way do not want you.

Yes, we had the Sixers question included and decided to ask it even after he told us that.

Heartbreaking for him to get to play for his favorite childhood team and for the coach to tell him he wasn't wanted.

81-82. The woman and men played doubleheader at the meadowlands.

Those were the first college basketball games at the Byrne Arena.
I didn’t know that. Seton Hall didn’t sneak one in? Anyway I remember watching that game on TV. I think Darius Griffin made a steal at the end that helped us seal it.

I once blocked a Roy Hinson shot at the Barn. He was shooting FTs by himself during his professional days.. with an injured wrapped knee. He didn't see me coming but I swatted his shot from behind and told him that I just wanted to say that I did it.

That's an untrue story I tell friends and family. I did see him there once.. and I thought about doing just that. But when I "riff".. when I play jokes.. something or someone always gets hurt.. and its never me. So, in real life, I am Major Buzzkill.. I don't mess around if I think about it at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT