ADVERTISEMENT

HORRIBLE coaching by Miles IMHO

PatrickRU92

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
How did we manage to score enough to win this game? Corey Sanders driving to the hole all game. Given that--and the fact that we can't throw the ball in the ocean--how do you NOT play any zone against us all game? (at least I don't remember seeing any--certainly none in the last few minutes when I thought our goose was cooked down 5 with 2 mins left). They played us tight man to man WAY outside the arc for most of this game. The drive was pretty much the only way we could score except for those 2 3s from Nigel.

I can't believe more teams don't zone us all game long. I don't know I'm no NCAA coach thats for sure but I just don't get it.

Last edited:
Reactions: HUMC67
How did we manage to score enough to win this game? Corey Sanders driving to the hole all game. Given that--and the fact that we can't throw the ball in the ocean--how do you NOT play any zone against us all game? (at least I don't remember seeing any--certainly none in the last few minutes when I thought our goose was kicked down 5 with 2 mins left). They played us tight man to man WAY outside the arc for most of this game. The drive was pretty much the only way we could score except for those 2 3s from Nigel.

I can't believe more teams don't zone us all game long. I don't know I'm no NCAA coach thats for sure but I just don't get it.
Nice to have the other team blunder

I thought Miles was outcoached today overall BUT he made some great adjustments at halftime and his team was much better attacking RU and then moving the ball for open 3s in the 2nd half. I thought where he misfired was on Nebbys last two possessions where the strategy seemed to be to run the clock down and hope to get the line, I felt in a noisy atmosphere they were trying to not lose the game rather than win and it usually has you lose the game. I think Corey was just so tough to defend and I think Gettys provided an advantage inside so perhaps a little shy to go to zone

How did we manage to score enough to win this game? Corey Sanders driving to the hole all game. Given that--and the fact that we can't throw the ball in the ocean--how do you NOT play any zone against us all game? (at least I don't remember seeing any--certainly none in the last few minutes when I thought our goose was kicked down 5 with 2 mins left). They played us tight man to man WAY outside the arc for most of this game. The drive was pretty much the only way we could score except for those 2 3s from Nigel.

I agree about playing zone defense against Rutgers.At the same time the reason Rutgers had a double digit lead at half time was because they went to zone defense which stopped Nebraska dribble drives to the basket. I didn't understand why Rutgers went back to man to man defense in the second half especially when Nebraska reclaimed the lead after the first five minutes of the second half.

I've been saying that all year myself. I don't get it, we can't hit the side of barn and teams play us man most of the time. To our credit, we do move the ball well against a zone, and occasionally find someone for a layup when we reverse to the weak side low post...but we can't shoot so it's almost a moot point when we're left to shoot from outside, which mostly what the zones allow.

Totally disagree. We have been attacking thee zone decently since we saw a lot of it in the out of conference. Against man , it appears Corey is the only guy that can break down his man. Webster and Watson are 2 of the better defenders in the league and lead the league in steals. He took a chance that Corey would not have a Superman effort but that is all. He solved our trap passing to the middle and then creating wing jumpers.

I've been saying that all year myself. I don't get it, we can't hit the side of barn and teams play us man most of the time. To our credit, we do move the ball well against a zone, and occasionally find someone for a layup when we reverse to the weak side low post...but we can't shoot so it's almost a moot point when we're left to shoot from outside, which mostly what the zones allow.
Teams play us man to man, because that's what some teams' identities are; they pride themselves in tough man to man defense. And those teams rarely go to zone because either the coach doesn't believe in it, or the kids don't match up well against the opposition.

Also when you play zone its harder to rebound and RU is a very good offensive rebounding team.

They played us zone for a couple of sets and we got some easy looks into the low post.

Missed the game because I had to work, how loud was it?

it was pretty loud on the last two Nebby possessions, definitely played a factor in the game, otherwise it was good overall, I wouldnt say exceptional. Still have a disconnect that only about 60 students get rowdy and jump around when they play dance music and then the rest of the lower level is sedate...have to find a way to engage everyone. A few RU chants today so thats better than the last game..I think attendance was 6200 or 6400

ADVERTISEMENT