ADVERTISEMENT

How about OC Danny Langsdorf?

Ash_Hole

Junior
Sep 8, 2019
Temple's Offensive Coordinator, who is a well-known QB whisperer and previously Offensive Coordinator at Nebraska and Oregon St.

ESPECIALLY if he can bring future NFL prospect QB EJ Warner (Kurt Warner's son) who won various rookie of the year awards and broke records in his first season.

Langsdorf has a crazy amount of experience coaching QBs -- as QBs coach for New York Giants, New Orleans Saints, Nebraska, Fresno St, UNLV, Oregon St, and Colorado.
https://owlsports.com/staff-directory/danny-langsdorf/3148

I think many of us would agree, we need a QB guy.

In Langsdorf's offense, EJ Warner threw for 3,028 yards and 18 TDs as a true freshman. And only got better as the season went along. EJ threw for over 1500 yards 10 TDs in his final 4 games. And keep in mind, this was Langsdorf's first year too.

Langsdorf wouldn't have to move his family very far...

Additionally, it doesn't have to be EJ Warner or bust -- as Langsdorf (and his QB coaching history) may be able to get the most out of Gavin Wimsatt like he has already for EJ Warner.

The move also has the advantage of potentially damaging a 2023 opponent.

We play Temple on September 9th (2nd game) and with EJ Warner under center -- it ain't going to be an easy win for us. We almost lost this season in his very first start.

Schiano needs to hit 6 wins in 2023 and Temple can't be a questionable one. Taking Langsdorf disrupts their Offense and may trigger EJ to look elsewhere (RU or another team). He and Langsforf ended 2022 with a lot of rhythm, and I'd hate for an unprepared RU team to lose 2nd game of the season...

Temple's Offensive Coordinator, who is a well-known QB whisperer and previously Offensive Coordinator at Nebraska and Oregon St.

ESPECIALLY if he can bring future NFL prospect QB EJ Warner (Kurt Warner's son) who won various rookie of the year awards and broke records in his first season.

Langsdorf has a crazy amount of experience coaching QBs -- as QBs coach for New York Giants, New Orleans Saints, Nebraska, Fresno St, UNLV, Oregon St, and Colorado.

In Langsdorf's offense, EJ Warner threw for 3,028 yards and 18 TDs as a true freshman. And only got better as the season went along. EJ threw for over 1500 yards 10 TDs in his final 4 games. And keep in mind, this was Langsdorf's first year too.

Not a bad idea

Reactions: Ash_Hole
Additionally, it doesn't have to be EJ Warner or bust -- as Langsdorf (and his QB coaching history) may be able to get the most out of Gavin Wimsatt like he has already for EJ Warner.

The move also has the advantage of potentially damaging a 2023 opponent.

We play Temple on September 9th (2nd game) and with EJ Warner under center -- it ain't going to be an easy win for us. We almost lost this season in his very first start.

Schiano needs to hit 6 wins in 2023 and Temple can't be a questionable one. Taking Langsdorf disrupts their Offense and may trigger EJ to look elsewhere (RU or another team). He and Langsforf ended 2022 with a lot of rhythm, and I'd hate for an unprepared RU team to lose 2nd game of the season...

We’re probably not going to be a successful big ten program by stealing temple players and coaches.

6 wins isn’t likely to happen with this roster in ‘23, because there isn’t enough talent and there are only 6 winnable games, and we’d need to be perfect in every single one, which isn’t likely to happen. To boost the probability of 6 wins in ‘23, people would need to support NIL, so that better players could be added to the roster. But it’s probably too late. The ‘23 transfer ship has likely sailed as the best kids have already scheduled their recruiting visits.

The quality of remaining kids probably isn’t that great. Kids can opt for the transfer portal in May, but don’t know what will be available.

We should probably organize ourselves so that we can be successful in next December’s transfer portal.

We’re probably not going to be a successful big ten program by stealing temple players and coaches.

6 wins isn’t likely to happen with this roster in ‘23, because there isn’t enough talent and there are only 6 winnable games, and we’d need to be perfect in every single one, which isn’t likely to happen. To boost the probability of 6 wins in ‘23, people would need to support NIL, so that better players could be added to the roster. But it’s probably too late. The ‘23 transfer ship has likely sailed as the best kids have already scheduled their recruiting visits.

The quality of remaining kids probably isn’t that great. Kids can opt for the transfer portal in May, but don’t know what will be available.

We should probably organize ourselves so that we can be successful in next December’s transfer portal.
Oh really with Temple coaches and players? Fran Brown says hello. Would take their special to teams coach in a minute to fix our issues there. Oh thats right, he worked RU but someone thought a special teams coach was not needed. Brilliant!

Yet we’ve heard a great deal about the importance of RU’s “culture” and that we are a “developmental program”. To date, RU has not been losing their most talented developing players. I don’t think it is too much to ask for a significant improvement in year 4 of this project. I don’t think this program is going to be able to wheel and deal in the new. NIL world. It will need to do it a different way, similar to what Wake Forest or Kentucky has done.

Reactions: Yeah Baby

rutgersal,

At this point can we pencil you in for another 4-8 season in 2023?

Not a bad thought by the OP. He could be on the radar. Not sure Warner is an NFL prospect or not. I thought his passes hung up in the air a lot against us but I did like his pocket awareness and how he went through all of the progressions. He put the ball where it needed to be our Defense was just too much for him.

Special teams were a mixed bag this year but overall above average. Punt block was excellent. Punting and coverage was excellent. Kickoff return was meh. Kickoff coverage was suspect. That’s the depth issue.

Yes. Need to close the talent gap with. Other programs.

And then a subsequent contract extension. Don't forget that part.

I don't think the terms were ever mentioned.
Is HC Schiano going to get a raise above $4m/year in the extension beyond 2027.
And how long? Add 4 years (so 8 total)?

And then a subsequent contract extension. Don't forget that part.

I don't think the terms were ever mentioned.
Is HC Schiano going to get a raise above $4m/year in the extension beyond 2027.
And how long? Add 4 years (so 8 total)?

Don’t know, but I expect Schiano
To get a 2 year extension after next season.

Don’t know, but I expect Schiano
To get a 2 year extension after next season.
Absolutely. No. Way. Even Hobbs knows Schiano fleeced him. He’s got 5 left, and 4 after next year. It will be another losing season. It would be outrageous to extend this guy

If we go 4-8 (again) and fail to show a pulse on offense (again), there is zero chance Schiano gets extended. Less than zero. Hobbs knows he got stuck with a guy he didn’t want and isn’t going to take an already long contact and make it worse.

Not a bad idea but EJ Warner isnt going anywhere if he's not starting. I don't think Schiano can promise that.

Reactions: RAM69
Not a bad idea but EJ Warner isnt going anywhere if he's not starting. I don't think Schiano can promise that.
If Gavin doesn’t look good in Spring practice then Greg can offer EJ Warner the starting QB job for next season, if the new OC wants him.

I like Warner right now more than GW.

Reactions: sct1111
Absolutely zero reason for that. Zero. None. Nada. Why would RU do that? Because someone might steal him from us? C'mon.

It’s needs to be done for recruiting. Hobbs already brought the prospect of an extension up, unprovoked. It was along the lines of, “we’ll have to work on Schiano’s extension when the time is right”. Rival recruiters will bring up that the head coach won’t be around for their entire career, making recruiting more difficult.

Oh really with Temple coaches and players? Fran Brown says hello. Would take their special to teams coach in a minute to fix our issues there. Oh thats right, he worked RU but someone thought a special teams coach was not needed. Brilliant!

Fran Brown had a strong history as an exceptional recruiter, so yeah, if we could get a Temple coach with Fran Brown impact, absolutely.

If Gavin doesn’t look good in Spring practice then Greg can offer EJ Warner the starting QB job for next season, if the new OC wants him.

That's a good point. Greg seemed very impressed with Warner during the press conference after the temple game.

Reactions: Knightmoves

FYI- Warner would have to be in the transfer portal before he is offered. Otherwise it’s tampering.

Absolutely zero reason for that. Zero. None. Nada. Why would RU do that? Because someone might steal him from us? C'mon.
Agreed. There is no reason to extend him. Rivals don’t need an excuse of limited years remaining on contract to negatively recruit against Rutgers at this point. The record is negative enough.

It’s needs to be done for recruiting. Hobbs already brought the prospect of an extension up, unprovoked. It was along the lines of, “we’ll have to work on Schiano’s extension when the time is right”. Rival recruiters will bring up that the head coach won’t be around for their entire career, making recruiting more difficult.
Brilliant Al… let’s keep a crappy head coach and accept a perennial noncompetitive team so the teams that humiliate us every year can’t negative recruit saying our hc is a lame duck. You are off the charts smart, clearly.

Further, no programs that matter will recruit the FCS ‘talent’ he’ll be getting sooner rather than later. You are ridiculous.

This is the same argument we used to hear about FHJ back in the day.

Reactions: Rutgers8086
Agreed. There is no reason to extend him. Rivals don’t need an excuse of limited years remaining on contract to negatively recruit against Rutgers at this point. The record is negative enough.
I feel bad for Hobbs on this whole thing. First, he wanted to explore other candidates, and the mob wanted him to walk the plank for it. Second, someone thought an eight year deal on a coach nobody else was interested in hiring was such a Rutgers move. Four years would have been appropriate. But Rutgers does the Rutgers thing always. But on that last point, what is the point of extending him if he has another four years on the deal?

Al says it is for recruiting ? Well, most players will be at a team for four years.

Reactions: BLewis1968
I feel bad for Hobbs on this whole thing. First, he wanted to explore other candidates, and the mob wanted him to walk the plank for it. Second, someone thought an eight year deal on a coach nobody else was interested in hiring was such a Rutgers move. Four years would have been appropriate. But Rutgers does the Rutgers thing always. But on that last point, what is the point of extending him if he has another four years on the deal?

Al says it is for recruiting ? Well, most players will be at a team for four years.
If you can’t turn a team around(show positive momentum) in 2 years with all of the tools available now. You don’t have the chops needed to coach at this level in this environment.

Brilliant Al… let’s keep a crappy head coach and accept a perennial noncompetitive team so the teams that humiliate us every year can’t negative recruit saying our hc is a lame duck. You are off the charts smart, clearly.

Further, no programs that matter will recruit the FCS ‘talent’ he’ll be getting sooner rather than later. You are ridiculous.

It took 9 years of neglect to get us to where we are today. It will take time to build this, with kids we will develop over time. Not easy to succeed when you are out resourced by the competition.

Reactions: scottsdaleal
Hobbs ain’t extending a 4th year 4 win coach after next year who’s already fleeced the university for 4 more future years after that. It’s a stupid assertion Al. No two ways about it.

Hobbs ain’t extending a 4th year 4 win coach after next year who’s already fleeced the university for 4 more future years after that. It’s a stupid assertion Al. No two ways about it.

4 future years is a stupid assertion. 2 years is about right.

If you can’t turn a team around(show positive momentum) in 2 years with all of the tools available now. You don’t have the chops needed to coach at this level in this environment.
We mostly agree, but 2 years is too soon IMO. I'm not going to go full al on you, but year 3 was effed up with Noah getting hurt, then Gavin being out for most of the season and having to rely on Simon for a stretch. Then the injuries mounted. Losing Sam Brown hurt bad because that neutralized our run game. The defense seems like it is on solid footing.
As others have said, this OC hire is critical. At this point, more time is not going to hurt. Maybe we will be shocked and get a really solid hire.

We mostly agree, but 2 years is too soon IMO. I'm not going to go full al on you, but year 3 was effed up with Noah getting hurt, then Gavin being out for most of the season and having to rely on Simon for a stretch. Then the injuries mounted. Losing Sam Brown hurt bad because that neutralized our run game. The defense seems like it is on solid footing.
As others have said, this OC hire is critical. At this point, more time is not going to hurt. Maybe we will be shocked and get a really solid hire.
That comment wasn’t entirely based on Schiano and RU. It was based on the environment college football is in presently. With the portal (pretty much free angency), ability to turn the roster over in 1-2 recruiting cycles, NIL, increased spending on staff, limitless amounts of analysts, etc… There is no excuse for a 5-8 year rebuild or better yet extending someone that has not produced.

I meant he already has 4 more after next year. Absolutely no chance they tack on two more. Hobbs already realizes the 4 are a huge mistake
Anybody who suggests that Rutgers will extend Schiano is an absolute imbecile. And we know that particular Schiano apologist fits that bill.

If he stay at Temple and have a great year he will probably get HC consideration. If he comes here and flops he could set his career back. Right now Temple is a better situation

ADVERTISEMENT