ADVERTISEMENT

How are B1G - ACC matchups determined?

RUonBrain

All American
Gold Member
Apr 29, 2002
We are a bottoms feeder in the B1G, and Miami is a NCAA team in the ACC.

Why are we playing them?
Shouldn't we be playing Wake or BC or the lower tier teams?

Seems like that was the case when we played DePaul in B1G vs Big East.

The matchups can really determine which conference has the advantage in the challenge.

Anyone know how matchups are selected?

With a hatred for Rutgers clearly, but honestly I'm wondering this too because this has to be the most lipsidded chosen matchup

Reactions: MikeR0102
Another question would be why do we have away games in both the ACC and Big East challenges when the B1G specifically stated no team would play two away games.

Another question would be why do we have away games in both the ACC and Big East challenges when the B1G specifically stated no team would play two away games.

Good question.

When was the last time we had a home game in one of these challenges?

Seems like it is usually a road game for us.
I remember playing at Clemson recently.

We have played At Clemson; Home vs Wake and at Miami.......fair matchups...and we were home last year vs Wake.....next year - we'll be home...

We have played At Clemson; Home vs Wake and at Miami.......fair matchups...and we were home last year vs Wake.....next year - we'll be home...
Again how does a team that finished 27-8 last year get matched up with a 7 win squad? Forget all the you have to play the best yadda yadda. The matchups are supposed to schedule like teams in a challenge. This is far from like teams. Then we get scheduled two away games in the same year in challenge matchups when the B1G stated this would not happen.

Reactions: RUonBrain
Again how does a team that finished 27-8 last year get matched up with a 7 win squad? Forget all the you have to play the best yadda yadda. The matchups are supposed to schedule like teams in a challenge. This is far from like teams. Then we get scheduled two away games in the same year in challenge matchups when the B1G stated this would not happen.
- BC did not participate this year; thus we could not be matched up against them.
- Networks pair the upper echelon games (UNC vs Indiana; Mich State vs Duke; Wisc vs Cuse)) and conferences do the balance of the games.
- ACC is a better conference thus several games will have better ACC squads vs inferior Big 10 squads (Fl St vs Minn / ND vs Iowa; Miami vs RU)
- We already played Wake and Clemson - thus repeat game is unlikely
- Thus tell me who we should have been matched against?

- BC did not participate this year; thus we
- Thus tell me who we should have been matched against?
And why did BC sit this one out for the 2nd year in a row? I just think the #3 ACC last year vs the #14 B1G last year is not the spirit of the challenge. Why not NC st. #13 or Georgia tech #11 last year?

Reactions: RUonBrain
And why did BC sit this one out for the 2nd year in a row? I just think the #3 ACC last year vs the #14 B1G last year is not the spirit of the challenge. Why not NC st. #13 or Georgia tech #11 last year?
- BC not playing in Tourney is ACC decision as ACC has 1 more squad than Big 10.
- If I were BC, I'd be pissed.
- Miami is predicted to be a middle of the pack ACC squad this year. They lost several premier players to graduation.
- Matchups are not based on prior year record but somewhat reasonable current year forecasts.
- NC State or GA Tech are reasonable opponents but both played on the road this year as did we - hence matchups were not likely due to general rotation year to year of home and away.
- In the scheme of things though we lost to Miami, it was a homecoming for Sanders and Laurent - who both hail from FL.

Reactions: Russ Wood
We realize we got the shaft this year. We should not have been matched up with Miami. Next year I would think we should get a home game vs. either Boston College or Georgia Tech. If we did play Georgia Tech at home we could have Alvarado coming to our house. I think we would sit out the Gavitt games next year as we played at St. john's last year and at DePaul this year. The year after next we should get a home game vs. the Big East.

I have no issue with the B1G / ACC Challenge and our pairings. At Clemson, Wake at home and At Miami. Next year is at the RAC.

I do have a problem with the Gavitt Games. At St. John's last year which should have meant a home game this year. Instead, they put us away at DePaul. The Gavitt Games owe us 2 home games, as far as I am concerned. I think it's an 8 year deal so the leagues have 6 years remaining to provide us 2 more home games than road games.- Probably 3 at the RAC and 1 away game.

I do not believe home/away is correlated between the two different "challenges". I believe within each "challenge", ACC/B1G or Big East/B1G, the goal is to not have a team play consecutive games on the road (i.e we have been away, home, away in the three years of the ACC/B1G challenge...so one would anticipate home next year if we participate). But I do not believe that there is a goal to not play both games at home or both on the road as it relates to the two separate and distinct challenges.

for the Gavitt games they should just do semi-neutral site double headers.
- Use the Barclays center for games with SHU, St Johns, and Rutgers.
- Use Core States or Verizon Ctr for Georgetown, Maryland, Villanova, and PSU.
- Use Banker's Life Fieldhouse, Auburn Hills, and / or United Center for Mich St, Michigan, Depaul, Illinois, N-western, Indiana, Purdue, Xavier, Butler, and Marquette

getting a couple of close by schools at these NBA arenas will drive ticket sales.

Theoretically, there are a number of elements that determine the match-ups. First, late last spring an informal poll was taken of the coaches/AD's in each conference to predict the order of finish for the coming season (for their own conference). Then, the #1 ACC team was tentatively matched against the #1 B1G team, the #2 against the #2, etc, etc, etc. However, no team has to play on the road for more than two consecutive years, so adjustments to the original schedule have to be made to allow for this. Also, if two teams are in the same early season tournament, they will not be paired in the Challenge. Finally, there are some more arcane considerations. Originally, Ohio State was slated to play at Louisville this year and Purdue was to travel to Virginia. However, because Trey Lyles (OSU) testified to the NCAA concerning the recruiting parties at Louisville (when they were recruiting him), it was felt by B1G officials that he shouldn't have to play at The Yum. (This was still a hot topic when the schedule was being made.) It is pretty common to hear some fans say that ESPN dictates the pairings, however if the above protocols are used, they are going to get some pretty good match-ups.

The conferences attempt to schedule match ups between teams of similar talent levels, especially at the top because...TV ratings. But it doesn't always work out that way.

Also it is a myth that teams alternate home and away each season. It often works out that way but there are teams who have been away two years in a row and some who have been home two years in a row. The conferences do make
an effort to avoid scheduling teams on the road two years in a row but team schedules and travel are tricky things to work out.

What the conferences attempt to do is get an even number of home games for their conference. That can be a challenge sometimes because Coach K will sometimes demand...and get...a neutral site game instead of an on-campus road game. He has also demanded that Duke not play Maryland as long as he coaches at Duke.

Sanders and Laurent grew up about 4 hours from Miami so semi-homecoming. Besides, Miami is VERY different from the rest of the state...very different

ADVERTISEMENT