ADVERTISEMENT

How come Steve Longa didn't get drafted???

Extra Point

Heisman Winner
Aug 9, 2001
He is a baller. I just assumed that he would get picked in a later round. As for Paul James, his injury really cost him. I hope he gets a shot and does good.

I am sure his 4.78 at the combine didn't help.

Keep in mind that the NFL evaluation committee advised him NOT to come out early.

Reactions: scottsdaleal
I am sure his 4.78 at the combine didn't help.

Keep in mind that the NFL evaluation committee advised him NOT to come out early.
I don't believe they give advice, just their view of where he may get drafted. Let me ask, how does an additional year help him? He has been 100+ tackles last two years with a lot of hits on his body...would he have improved over 120 or so tackles?

Too lazy to link it, but Duggan has a story on this and an interview with him. He has no regrets.

Scooby Wright barely made the draft, and he had a higher draft rating and more of a buzz that Longa did (I think).

Worm- read closer- he received a go back to school "grade"...they will NOT advise you

Imo Longa needed to have a real good combine. I always thought Longa was a workout warrior, but his numbers were less than impressive. He did have a ton of tackles, but not many sacks, interceptions and tackles for loss. Many tackles were from behind after long gains. It does show his tenacity and not giving up on play.

I don't believe they give advice, just their view of where he may get drafted. Let me ask, how does an additional year help him? He has been 100+ tackles last two years with a lot of hits on his body...would he have improved over 120 or so tackles?

He trains and becomes a better athlete. Puts up the same production, goes to the combine, scores better times and numbers accorss the board. Gets his degree, gets drafted, and earns a higher rookie salary.

He trains and becomes a better athlete. Puts up the same production, goes to the combine, scores better times and numbers accorss the board. Gets his degree, gets drafted, and earns a higher rookie salary.

No guarantees. He should be close to his degree already.

I hope in the future some of these marginal juniors remember what happened to both Longa and Jameson when they left early. Unless you are a sure thing they should stay for that extra year of experience and exposure. Long a had a stay in school grade from the NFL but, correct me if I am wrong, I believe Jameson received a third or fourth round selection grade and he still wasn't drafted.

Reactions: bac2therac
I hope in the future some of these marginal juniors remember what happened to both Longa and Jameson when they left early. Unless you are a sure thing they should stay for that extra year of experience and exposure. Long a had a stay in school grade from the NFL but, correct me if I am wrong, I believe Jameson received a third or fourth round selection grade and he still wasn't drafted.
Jameson was also picked in the seventh round of the draft. IIRC, he also had a pretty compelling financial situation with his family that weighed in favor of going early.

Leaving early and not getting drafted is purely a dumb investment. Had he stayed he could have upped his stock. Now he has to fight to make a practice squad at most. And if he doesn't he gets cut.

I linked an article yesterday stating the NFL has 2 times the number of UFA of rosters than first rounders. 4x's the number of 7th round picks. He felt his measurable so wouldn't be any better with another year. End of the day, he's going to camp....up to him to make the team now.

I linked an article yesterday stating the NFL has 2 times the number of UFA of rosters than first rounders. 4x's the number of 7th round picks. He felt his measurable so wouldn't be any better with another year. End of the day, he's going to camp....up to him to make the team now.

Of course there are 2 times as many UFAs as 1st rounders or 4 times as many as 7th rounders, that is just simple math. Teams are bringing in 20 undrafted free agents a year to see who can stick. A better stat is what is the number of undrafted free agents who are starters/ pro bowl players/ etc. versus 1st rounders.

Of course there are 2 times as many UFAs as 1st rounders or 4 times as many as 7th rounders, that is just simple math. Teams are bringing in 20 undrafted free agents a year to see who can stick. A better stat is what is the number of undrafted free agents who are starters/ pro bowl players/ etc. versus 1st rounders.
The point is just because you aren't drafted doesn't mean you are not making it. Also, it's not as simple as saying "of course there are". Sure you only get one 1st rounder a year but their longevity is going to be off the charts compared to UFA's.

Leaving early and not getting drafted is purely a dumb investment. Had he stayed he could have upped his stock. Now he has to fight to make a practice squad at most. And if he doesn't he gets cut.
If I remember correctly, when he announced that he was leaving early, he indicated that he realized he might not be drafted and he was OK with that. I think he decided to leave because he was injured during the latter part of the season and didn't want to take a chance of further injuries screwing up any chance of an NFL career. I wish he hadn't left, but I don't think another year would have helped him unless he used it to improve his pass coverage.

Reactions: JerseyVegas
I gotta think Longa would have learned game a lot better with a year under Ash! If you go back an watch his tapes, Longa was responsible for many long tds by being faked out on play

Reactions: KnightsofChrome
The point is just because you aren't drafted doesn't mean you are not making it. Also, it's not as simple as saying "of course there are". Sure you only get one 1st rounder a year but their longevity is going to be off the charts compared to UFA's.

Sure but you are comparing apples to oranges. There is a big difference between making a roster and being a top level player. And as far as "of course there are ", there's a salary cap for a reason and you are naturally going to have a bunch of guys making the league minimum. There comes a point when guys get injured and you have to sign the guys you can. By the end of last season, the Giants had put 22 players on injured reserve.

Sure but you are comparing apples to oranges. There is a big difference between making a roster and being a top level player. And as far as "of course there are ", there's a salary cap for a reason and you are naturally going to have a bunch of guys making the league minimum. There comes a point when guys get injured and you have to sign the guys you can. By the end of last season, the Giants had put 22 players on injured reserve.
Yes there is a huge difference between being a top player and making a roster but let's be honest, most guys are only looking to make a roster. Even at league minimum the next 1,2, or 3 years will be the biggest earning years most of these guys ever have. You aren't "set" until contract 2 unless you are a star and 99% of guys are never seeing contract number 2.

I don't think that if Longa stayed another year it would give him a better chance of making an NFL team. Maybe if he stayed he would get drafted next year, but that doesn't mean he has a better chance of making a team unless he got drafted in the first 3 or 4 rounds

Reactions: PaKnight
I don't think that if Longa stayed another year it would give him a better chance of making an NFL team. Maybe if he stayed he would get drafted next year, but that doesn't mean he has a better chance of making a team unless he got drafted in the first 3 or 4 rounds
If you believe quotes from our recent commits that one of the main reasons they chose RU was seeing how much bigger, stronger and faster our current players have gotten under Parker in just 3 months time, it would be hard not to believe Longa would have benefited from the new approach to strength and conditioning alone, that is not counting Ash's teaching on better tackling techniques as well as possibly better on field results under better coaching.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
better to not get drafted and pick a team to sign with like Seattle than be a late round pick to a team that ruins careers like the Browns

Reactions: RU62

Exactly. There is a much higher percentage of former 1st round picks in the NFL than the percentage of undrafted free agents in the league. We've heard the average NFL career is 3.3 years, which is just as misleading. If a player makes an opening day roster as a rookie, his average career length is about 7 years. The average is knocked down to 3.3 years per player because of all the guys who get a shot in training camp and don't stick.

Everyone but him thought he should have stay in school. Oh well..

Is he going to grow 2 inches or run any faster with another year? 3 straight years of 100+ tackles is enough of a sample size, he is what he is. If he makes the team in Seattle that's all that matters.

Reactions: MikeR0102
Very few UFA's make the team each year. Maybe a couple per team out of 15 - 20 that are signed after the draft. In fact very few players drafted beyond round 3 make the pro-bowl and most don't even make the slightest impact. The Tony Romo's of the world are one in a million. If you love playing organized football and there's not a good chance you'll get drafted, why not stay in school and get to enjoy the game for one more year? Seems better than watching from the couch.

Exactly. There is a much higher percentage of former 1st round picks in the NFL than the percentage of undrafted free agents in the league. We've heard the average NFL career is 3.3 years, which is just as misleading. If a player makes an opening day roster as a rookie, his average career length is about 7 years. The average is knocked down to 3.3 years per player because of all the guys who get a shot in training camp and don't stick.
They are only counting years that go toward tenure...that is making a squad, not camp

There is really no way to spin this. You come out early and go undrafted...it's a bad look. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. I hope he makes it and finishes his degree next spring.

Reactions: bac2therac
Jameson was also picked in the seventh round of the draft. IIRC, he also had a pretty compelling financial situation with his family that weighed in favor of going early.
Did Jameson get paid at all from the NFL? He only had two years of college experience.

Why would longevity necessarily be off the charts? Lots of 1st rounders don't pan out, end up with off the field issues and leave the league, or get injured.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/...areer-length-in-the-national-football-league/

Players who are first round draft picks average 9.3 year careers. Players who make the opening day roster in their rookie season (regardless of draft status) average 6 year careers.

The average longevity of UFAs is really low because so many wash out in camps and don't make rosters... among those that do make rosters, why would their longevity be so dramatically different than drafted players?

A LB with a 4.78 speed is not going to turn eyes. mistake #1
LB at 225Lbs not going to turn eyes either mistake #2
leaving early, is mistake #3
Here for all you PRO wanabies, if you love the game so much, why OH why give up the best year of a football's players life? Linebackers unlike running backs do not have a short shelf life, and injury is very low compared to a RB. Longa needed to bulk up and work on speed. ( and work on his pass coverage game)
Should he have stayed another year, YES on multiple reasons.
So in truth stay and play another season as a higher valued draft pick he would of played the game he loves another year and get coached by a very good coach. If he gets cut in the PROs BOMB no more playing the game he loves yea I know arena and Canada. but it just does not compare to the last year of college i.e. classes by now are easy, as a senior you do enjoy and savior that last free feeling of pure joy of no responsibilities just the "GAME"
Who every swayed this kid should be shot.
Most likely his "great" agent?

Did Jameson get paid at all from the NFL? He only had two years of college experience.

That's a good question. This website indicates his contract was just under $1,500,000.00.
Jawan Jamison signed a 3 year, $1,485,000 contract with the Washington Redskins, including an average annual salary of $495,000.

But he was waived after year 1. Don't know what that means for the rest of his contract.
But this story shows why he did what he did. Poor man had to absorb his father dying and his mother having cancer.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ce-redskins-running-back-jawan-jami/?page=all

ADVERTISEMENT