ADVERTISEMENT

How Deep Is The Rotation Next Year?

RutgersRaRa

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2011
@Richard Schnyderite et al, for most of this year we ran 9 deep, which gave us fresher legs at the end of games and end of the season, and enabled us to be aggressive on defense. This upcoming season looks to be deeper, so how many do you see Pike working through the rotation?

@Richard Schnyderite et al, for most of this year we ran 9 deep, which gave us fresher legs at the end of games and end of the season, and enabled us to be aggressive on defense. This upcoming season looks to be deeper, so how many do you see Pike working through the rotation?

I see the rotation depth about the same as last year with Omoruyi replacing Carter and either a grad transfer or perhaps Palmquist/Reiber taking some of Yeboah’s minutes.

Personally, I don’t like going deeper than nine since you risk not maximizing your best players.

I see the rotation depth about the same as last year with Omoruyi replacing Carter and either a grad transfer or perhaps Palmquist/Reiber taking some of Yeboah’s minutes.

Personally, I don’t like going deeper than nine since you risk not maximizing your best players.
Distribution of playing time is always a challenge, especially if guys can contribute. This year the rotation switched a lot until Pike went with Akwasi as the starter, then things started to click. But many guys who could contribute got minutes. Doucore and sat most of the time, with him getting in on rare occasions when both Shaq and Myles got in foul trouble. We'll see how the new guys develop, but I can see Pike being able to go 10 deep. This will probably help our defense, but I've always had concerns about offensive flow when guys are frequently rotated in and out of the lineup.

Reactions: thegock

Pike plays a lot of guys early in the season and takes his lumps. The rotation gets better and shorter as the season progresses. Nobody, not even Pike, knows what the rotation will be come conference play. It depends on which players step up and how they play together. And it changes depending on who is playing well.

Fortunately, most have played together. The additional players should help the rotation. The two freshmen's are shooters which will help.

JY and Geo could play all 40 minutes ... Montez won’t need to if Caleb comes back to be the player we all know he can, then watch out

The talent will be deeper on this year's team than last, at the very least - I don't know about the rotation.

We lose Yeboah and Carter at the F/C spots, and pick up Omoruyi, Mag, Palmquist, and Reiber. Swapping in 4 for 2 adds talent, and makes the competition for minutes much stiffer.

Looking at the Center spot....
Last year, the minutes breakdown was 23.6 Johnson, 12.4 Carter, 5.5 Doucoure.... which shifted to 24.6 Johnson, 13.2 Carter, 4.3 Doucoure over the last 18 games.
This year, we return Johnson and Doucoure, but add Omoruyi and Reiber into the mix. I'd expect Omoruyi to shift into Carter's minutes right out of the gate, which could expand up to 15+ if he's as good as advertised. That would be all 40 min at the 5, with the third center seeing spot minutes when there's foul trouble. Which brings us to Reiber and Doucoure... it might end up being a scenario where Doucoure continues as that pressure release valve to give Reiber a year to RS, or it might end up with Reiber being that 3rd center and Doucoure becoming more of a practice player.

Looking at Yeboah's spot....
Mag and Palmquist come in fighting for Yeboah's 23.8 min (25.6 over the last 18 games).... but they'll also be jockeying with Harper, McConnell, and Mathis each trying to expand their own minutes at the 3/4 spots.

The talent will be deeper on this year's team than last, at the very least - I don't know about the rotation.

We lose Yeboah and Carter at the F/C spots, and pick up Omoruyi, Mag, Palmquist, and Reiber. Swapping in 4 for 2 adds talent, and makes the competition for minutes much stiffer.

Looking at the Center spot....
Last year, the minutes breakdown was 23.6 Johnson, 12.4 Carter, 5.5 Doucoure.... which shifted to 24.6 Johnson, 13.2 Carter, 4.3 Doucoure over the last 18 games.
This year, we return Johnson and Doucoure, but add Omoruyi and Reiber into the mix. I'd expect Omoruyi to shift into Carter's minutes right out of the gate, which could expand up to 15+ if he's as good as advertised. That would be all 40 min at the 5, with the third center seeing spot minutes when there's foul trouble. Which brings us to Reiber and Doucoure... it might end up being a scenario where Doucoure continues as that pressure release valve to give Reiber a year to RS, or it might end up with Reiber being that 3rd center and Doucoure becoming more of a practice player.

Looking at Yeboah's spot....
Mag and Palmquist come in fighting for Yeboah's 23.8 min (25.6 over the last 18 games).... but they'll also be jockeying with Harper, McConnell, and Mathis each trying to expand their own minutes at the 3/4 spots.
Good post, and it points to the work Pike has to do now that the dynamic of the team is much different. It's a good problem to have, but managing the chess pieces is a challenge, as evidenced by last year's moving pieces. I don't see Montez moving to the 3, but it could happen if his shot starts falling and Caleb's doesn't. Ronnie is of course a 3/4, and we'll have to see how Caleb's confidence grows and if his shots start to fall again (Caleb has the smoothest stroke on the team and can get his shot off, so I think it's a confidence issue that can be worked out). Montez and Jacob will still be assigned to the other team's PGs to interrupt the offense and shorten the shot clock, which will make running the point easier for Geo since he won't be pulling double duty.

These pieces are fascinating to me to see what the options are, and of course it depends on who we're playing and their personnel. But this is an exciting time to be a Rutgers fan since it's no longer about where the talent is gonna come from, but how the coaching staff is gonna manage it.

Last edited:

Very similar to last year. Expect a 9-10 man
rotation, replacing Carter with Cliff and Yeboah with Palmquist and maybe sprinkle in a little bit of Mag.

Good post, and it points to the work Pike has to do now that the dynamic of the team is so much different. It's a good problem to have, but managing the chess pieces is a challenge, as evidenced by last year's moving pieces. I don't see Montez moving to the 3, but it could happen if his shot starts falling and Caleb's doesn't. Ronnie is of course a 3/4, and we'll have to see how Caleb's confidence grows and if his shots start t fall again (Caleb has the smoothest stroke on the team and can get his shot off, so I think it's a confidence issue that can be worked out). Context and Jacob will still be assigned to the other team's PGs to interrupt the offense and reduce the shot clock, which will make running the point easier for Geo since he won't be pulling double duty.

These pieces are fascinating to me to see what the options are, and of course it depends on who we're playing and their personnel. But this is an exciting time to be a Rutgers fan since it's no longer about where the talent is gonna come from, but how is the coaching staff is gonna manage it.

Pikiell definitely had his work cut out for him in keeping players happy. He did an excellent job at creating a community of sacrifice and togetherness Unfortunately, some players still did not make the cut of playing time. NCAA is big business, and it is unfortunate when that happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Very similar to last year. Expect a 9-10 man
rotation, replacing Carter with Cliff and Yeboah with Palmquist and maybe sprinkle in a little bit of Mag.

I think there's more familiarity with Palmquist since he's been practicing, but we don't fully know what Mag or Reiber are going to bring to the table at this level. I think Reiber's going to have the hardest fight for minutes, while it's likely going to be a fight primarily between Harper/McConnell/Palmquist/Mag for minutes at the 3/4 spots.

The nice thing is that we have a lot of guys who can play multiple positions, so there's a lot of possible combinations we can see on the floor. Might even see Johnson/Omoruyi in the game together at points if Omoruyi can demand more minutes than are available behind Johnson.

Palmquist or Magot might see minutes? I don't know much about either.

8-deep right now. If palmquist develops he has a chance for a few minutes. I don’t see Reiber it Magog contributing at all. Just my opinion. Hope they prove me wrong

I've seen Palmquist at many practices. I think he will play but not major minutes yet. He is a very good shooter but he might need to get a little stronger. Reiber I think will be a power forward if he is in the rotation. He also can shoot a three ball but I don't think he is a center. Mag is supposedly very good and tough on the boards. I think he will get some playing time. Cliff of course should get about 15 minutes a game because of his rebounding & shot blocking. I hope he gradually can develop his offensive game. I think we might see a 10 man deep rotation this coming season. I hope everyone can stay healthy and being happy. I will not be surprised if one of the incoming freshmen should get red shirted. I have been a Rutgers fan for 49 years and have followed the team since Lloyd and Valvano played. This is probably the second most anticipated season for myself behind the 1975-76 season. It is a fun time to be a Rutgers basketball fan.

....The nice thing is that we have a lot of guys who can play multiple positions, so there's a lot of possible combinations we can see on the floor. Might even see Johnson/Omoruyi in the game together at points if Omoruyi can demand more minutes than are available behind Johnson.
^I can see this against Michigan when they've got their two bigs in.

I know Pikiell has talked up Reiber a lot. I think the only way a frosh redshirts is if they bring in a grad transfer. I still think--assuming a transfer or two--there is still some roster changes at play.

Reiber has an uphill climb to see minutes. At 6-10/230, per sk.com, he's looking up at Johnson/Omoruyi fighting it out for the 40 minutes at center... and a RS Jr Doucoure for "in case of foul trouble emergency break glass" minutes.

At PF, he'd be in competition with Harper and Palmquist - and Harper will be seeing 30 min/game most nights. That leaves just 15 min, give or take, at the 4/5 spots to be fought over by Palmquist, Reiber, and Doucoure. Not a lot - especially if Omoruyi comes on strong and his play demands more than 15 min/game and shrinks that further.

I think Reiber redshirts too. Mag is pretty big and strong already so he has a chance at minutes because we know how much Pike values defense. Palmquist is older than the other frosh so wouldn't be surprised if he is ready to go from day 1, but he has a lot of competition for minutes. I guess everyone does on this team. Ha.

Edit: Forgot about Cliff!! He will play obviously because its a position of need. How much he plays will be up to him. He's a smart kid so hopefully he will pick things up quick.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUChoppin
You guys realize Reiber and Cliff are practically the same size, right? 6'10" (though I've seen Cliff listed as 6'11") and both 230lbs. Granted it was high school but Reiber seems like a scorer...so maybe his defense isn't where it needs to be yet because, well, he's not in the program yet.

My question is: what are the foul shooting percentages of these incoming frosh?

By the way, I forgot which video highlight it was but Cliff looked like he did have a nice stroke from mid-range....

And why are people so sure Reiber redshirts? What evidence from his tapes give that inclination? One might argue that all Palmquist can redshirt, too. Cliff won't and Mag seems like a plug-and-play enforcer...

IMO, we have an 8-man "core," but the rotation will still be 9 players, with the other guys filling in when necessary (e.g., foul trouble for core guys) or during garbage time.

The top five:
1. Baker
2. Harper
3. Young
4. Mathis
5. Myles

The key reserves (who will see near-starter's minutes at times):
6. Mulcahy
7. McConnell - I see his role expanding as a "WF" with Kwasi's departure
8. Cliff

Vying for a spot in the rotation:
9. Palmquist (most likely to be a "regular," maybe 10-14 mpg, a little less than Mulcahy got this year)
10. Mag (less likely, but could see 4-6 mpg because of his defense/rebounding)
11. Doucoure (same role as this past year, basically a "break glass in emergency" post player)
12. Reiber (I, too, can see him redshirting)

And why are people so sure Reiber redshirts? What evidence from his tapes give that inclination? One might argue that all Palmquist can redshirt, too. Cliff won't and Mag seems like a plug-and-play enforcer...

It's about minutes available at positions. We have more minutes up for grabs on the wing than in the paint.

Reiber is a 4/5 at 6-10/230. Harper will be locking down ~30 min at the 4, and Johnson will be locking down ~25 at the 5. Omoruyi will also likely play 12-15 at the 5, leaving just "foul trouble" minutes at the 5 and 10 minutes at the 4.

Now, it's possible that Reiber shows out so well that he demands more time at the 4, and pushes Harper to the 3 (where he's also well suited). In that case, Mag/Palmquist would feel more squeeze from Harper taking up time on the wing.

These are all good problems to have.

It's about minutes available at positions. We have more minutes up for grabs on the wing than in the paint.

Reiber is a 4/5 at 6-10/230. Harper will be locking down ~30 min at the 4, and Johnson will be locking down ~25 at the 5. Omoruyi will also likely play 12-15 at the 5, leaving just "foul trouble" minutes at the 5 and 10 minutes at the 4.

Now, it's possible that Reiber shows out so well that he demands more time at the 4, and pushes Harper to the 3 (where he's also well suited). In that case, Mag/Palmquist would feel more squeeze from Harper taking up time on the wing.

These are all good problems to have.
Thank you! Good explanation and yeah, oh the problems to have!

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Watching multiple highlight vids, Reiber is a stretch 4, and maybe spot duty at 5. He does not play from down low, he will play from one corner on the 1-4 sets we run on offense and moves well and has handle for a big. He is going to develop into one of those stretch 4s you always see on mid major tournament teams, like Winthrop, Furman, Samford, etc., that can play in the lane, mid range shot or dunk, as well as shoot 35-40% from 3s on limited 3pt shots. Definate need on this team.

IMO, we have an 8-man "core," but the rotation will still be 9 players, with the other guys filling in when necessary (e.g., foul trouble for core guys) or during garbage time.

The top five:
1. Baker
2. Harper
3. Young
4. Mathis
5. Myles

6. Mulcahy
8. Cliff

9. Palmquist (most likely to be a "regular," maybe 10-14 mpg, a little less than Mulcahy got this year)
11. Doucoure (same role as this past year, basically a "break glass in emergency" post player)
right. MacConnel will bump up his minutes to fill Yeboah's production. I think Oskar and Mag get a sprinkle of minutes from game to game to get experience

right. MacConnel will bump up his minutes to fill Yeboah's production. I think Oskar and Mag get a sprinkle of minutes from game to game to get experience

Definitely going to be a minutes crunch next year, and Pike will need to figure out which pieces best help us succeed. There are legitimately no guaranteed minutes on the floor right now, as every position has at least 2 (and sometimes 3 or 4) viable options competing to see the court.

You guys realize Reiber and Cliff are practically the same size, right? 6'10" (though I've seen Cliff listed as 6'11") and both 230lbs. Granted it was high school but Reiber seems like a scorer...so maybe his defense isn't where it needs to be yet because, well, he's not in the program yet.

My question is: what are the foul shooting percentages of these incoming frosh?

By the way, I forgot which video highlight it was but Cliff looked like he did have a nice stroke from mid-range....

Palmquist redshirted this year when he enrolled in January, he is not sitting out a second year.

Depth is just as important in case we get bit by the injury bug. Luckily, only Geo was injured last year. Our depth saved us. I think we're much deeper next year where players 12 and 13 are more talented than years past.

The top five:
1. Baker
2. Harper
3. Young
4. Mathis
5. Myles

6. Mulcahy
8. Cliff

I think people are selling Doucoure a bit short. He showed a few flashes later in the year last year where he actually seemed to know what he wanted to do with the ball on offense. He just gets so little playing time its hard to get better.

Remember who his coach is. Pike will make him better. Just like he did Gene. He has a jump shot - something Myles probably never will have. And he played better defense with his feet than in the past. He will eventually be a solid contributor...

Or he may transfer before he ever gets the chance just to make me look stupid... Lol

I think our best line up has Myles and Omoruyi playing at the same time. That is a team that funcitons very differently than having Myles and Yeboah on the court.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT