ADVERTISEMENT

How do we close out '17 Recruiting strongly?

Dec 15, 2015
Coaches have done a good job selling the program thus far but it looks like we've lost momentum now. New staff vibe is going to wear off for 2018 class so what do we do to continue to lock down NJ talent? The obvious answer is win games but not like that's going to happen anytime soon.

B1G East is already a tough division and with Maryland killing it in recruiting (Ranked 12th now) I just can't see how we can get into top tier of the B1G in the future.

Coaches have done a good job selling the program thus far but it looks like we've lost momentum now. New staff vibe is going to wear off for 2018 class so what do we do to continue to lock down NJ talent? The obvious answer is win games but not like that's going to happen anytime soon.

B1G East is already a tough division and with Maryland killing it in recruiting (Ranked 12th now) I just can't see how we can get into top tier of the B1G in the future.

Just keep improving. The guy I respect most on our board said Durkin didn't make some very easy adjustments to slow us down. TIFWIW

Just keep improving. The guy I respect most on our board said Durkin didn't make some very easy adjustments to slow us down. TIFWIW

Yea I guess I'm just being impatient and thinking this could be a 3 year rebuild when it's probably much more like 5 years...appreciate it though

Ohh adjustments meaning tackle Barkley lol.
We have a shit running defense and are weak on the dline. Just not a good match up. MSU ran right through us too.

We played with a true freshman QB against Minnesota and 1/2 of PSU. We were within 1 TD when Perry went out. He's not lights out but a redshirt senior is light years away from a true freshman.

PSU is better, but we played like shit, had a bad match up, and our QB got knocked out. That being said I'm not sure PSU will lose another game this year.

We haven't lost momentum OP. We have very few ships remaining, and those remaining recruits we are pursuing will take longer to decide, like Dalyn Wade Perry.

need to win a couple games to keep class. Lovett and Taylor are both wavering..taking OV to rivals. Lovett was just at State Penn this weekend.
Penn state beating OSU and Maryland continuing to win B10 games,while RU posts L's is not good for recruiting. RU needs to find two more wins down stretch to hold onto entire class.IMHO.

Last edited:
I am curious if the other B1G fans realize how big of a rebuild Ash took on.

Most have no idea. In fairness, most fans know very little about other teams unless they watch them or integrate themselves amongst knowledgeable fans (like here). My gosh, look at how some people on here have bashed PSU over the past few years and were convinced PSU had elite talent all over the place. People tend to hear or read something and consider it gospel. BTN said we could win 2 or 3 games in 2012. No way with that roster.

Yea I guess I'm just being impatient and thinking this could be a 3 year rebuild when it's probably much more like 5 years...appreciate it though

I can't see it being 5 years if Ash stays the course. That's like saying the entire roster needs to change.

There is young talent on this team right now. Just not enough. Don't look at OSU and Michigan right now. They're Top 10 in the country along with Washington. Think in terms of Illinois, Minny, Indiana, Maryland and other middle of the conference teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevH
need to win a couple games to keep class. Lovett and Taylor are both wavering..taking OV to rivals. Lovett was just at State Penn this weekend.
Penn state beating OSU and Maryland continuing to win B10 games,while RU posts L's is not good for recruiting. RU needs to find two more wins down stretch to hold onto entire class.IMHO.
I don't think we win another game.

See you at Indy. Will be my first game in 3yrs.

Beat Indiana, Michigan State and Maryland not only do we keep the class together but we pick up two more quality recruits. Lose the remaining games and we could possibly lose quality recruits.

Who said we've "lost momentum"? We haven't had a single de-commit and it's smack in the middle of the football season. Not a big "commitment" period, typically. Also, from all accounts, we're doing very well with some very, very good kids - including NJ's best - for the class of 2018.

Are there going to be a de-commit or two? Yup, most likely, but OSU just lost a 4-star QB, from Ohio, to Kentucky. Shit happens. Just gotta keep the "shit" minimal.

No offense meant but did you start this thread just to, I don't know, throw shit against a wall and see what sticks? Unbelievable.

Who said we've "lost momentum"? We haven't had a single de-commit and it's smack in the middle of the football season. Not a big "commitment" period, typically. Also, from all accounts, we're doing very well with some very, very good kids - including NJ's best - for the class of 2018.

Are there going to be a de-commit or two? Yup, most likely, but OSU just lost a 4-star QB, from Ohio, to Kentucky. Shit happens. Just gotta keep the "shit" minimal.

No offense meant but did you start this thread just to, I don't know, throw shit against a wall and see what sticks? Unbelievable.

Yes.

It's tough to compare RU's recruting to OSU, Michigan and even Penn State at this juncture. As long as Ash brings in a couple top 35 recruiting classes, we should be able to get back in the Minnesota, Iowa light range. At that point fans can start really scrutinizing whether Ash and co have the recruiting chops to hang with the big boys. It appears that Ash will have this class looking at least respectable, something Flood didn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

I'm not even sure all RU fans realize it.

They definitely don't. I keep getting back to one thing that is indicative of how little talent we have. Our current biggest playmaker is a part time football player. And his name isn't Deion Sanders.

No offense to the kid, but it is a state of our current program. We need talent. Lots of it. All over the field. Biggest concerns moving forward our LB's, DL and OL. We are getting absolutely killed in those areas.

Our skill positions have already been upgraded provided recruits stay on.

How do we close out '17 Recruiting strongly?
1wZUrqQ.gif

I think most recruits, especially if they are already committed and following the program, realize that we were only a handful of plays away from having 3 more wins, and by any measure, 2 plays away from beating Iowa and Minnesota. It's a real shame it didn't work out that way, since it would have really built some momentum. But it is my hope that the recruits see just how close we are to completing this rebuild ahead of schedule. With a talent infusion, we will be out of the woods quick.

Staying competitive in the rest of the games would show the commits that they can be winners before their last year of eligibility. Bonus points if Grant gets his medical redshirt. Double bonus points if they win a couple.

The lost momentum thing is a complete crock of BS. We simply filled most of our class early and we are being selective with the few remaining spots. We could add nobody and this class would still be our best since 2012.

Continue with the doom and gloom though. It does nothing to help for recruits who read these boards to put crap out like this.

I have seen more improvement from our players this year than any of the flood years. Even with some big injuries, we are still so much more competitive this year!

I listen to Sirius radio a lot and respect Rick nieuheisel,s opinions. He recently said that a lot of coaches who come into a losing program and try to completely change the offense fail,simply because it takes too long to do. Completely tuning over a roster and getting the players needed for a new system will take 3-4 recruiting classes. Enemies then, the wins are not guaranteed. This will be especially true for us,given the division we play in. As nieuheisel said, most coaches in this situation run out of time. How many years of losing will this fan base put up with before it simply stops caring? This is the real issue for ash.

I listen to Sirius radio a lot and respect Rick nieuheisel,s opinions. He recently said that a lot of coaches who come into a losing program and try to completely change the offense fail,simply because it takes too long to do. Completely tuning over a roster and getting the players needed for a new system will take 3-4 recruiting classes. Enemies then, the wins are not guaranteed. This will be especially true for us,given the division we play in. As nieuheisel said, most coaches in this situation run out of time. How many years of losing will this fan base put up with before it simply stops caring? This is the real issue for ash.

I listen to Neuheisel too and respect his candor and insights. One thing working in Ash's favor is his contract, he'll get 4 seasons to show the program he can get the program moving in the right direction. He has a 5 year contract.

Ash reminds me a bit of Schiano with his seemingly tireless work ethic and Defensive reputation. It remains to be seen if he can recruit as good as Schiano.

I agree, he does have energy on that sideline and I do believe he can coach. With better recruits on the horizon he will turn the program around. The question for me with respect to Ash is will he be satisfied with our ceiling as a program? Even in a spectacular year where all the stars align and we finish 9-3 maybe get a sniff at a BCS Bowl game, will that be enough for a guy who has been at the top of the mountain as a DC? I personally believe that winning at the very highest level requires a unified effort from the University, State and State residents.

Reactions: zazoo2002
I agree, he does have energy on that sideline and I do believe he can coach. With better recruits on the horizon he will turn the program around. The question for me with respect to Ash is will he be satisfied with our ceiling as a program? Even in a spectacular year where all the stars align and we finish 9-3 maybe get a sniff at a BCS Bowl game, will that be enough for a guy who has been at the top of the mountain as a DC? I personally believe that winning at the very highest level requires a unified effort from the University, State and State residents.
This is Rutgers he does that and he'd probably be given a 10 year extension. Look at Schiano he had one season 10-2 and he probably had as much job security as any coach could ever have. Here you produce that record once every 5 years you're golden. Other places your gone. If I was a head coach being paid handsomely, I'm going with job security especially in a profession where job security is basically from year to year. Schiano rolled the dice and it came up snake eyes.

Reactions: RU31trap
They definitely don't. I keep getting back to one thing that is indicative of how little talent we have. Our current biggest playmaker is a part time football player. And his name isn't Deion Sanders.

No offense to the kid, but it is a state of our current program. We need talent. Lots of it. All over the field. Biggest concerns moving forward our LB's, DL and OL. We are getting absolutely killed in those areas.

Amen to getting the Big Uglies!!

IT'S won in the trenches. Trite but true. Get both lines to BTN levels and above and RU becomes a Power.

OSU can aford decommits because they have so many options, we on the other hand dont,

Making up ground to teh point where we might flip a couple of four stars and land another four star isn't what I would call "losing momentum".

OSU can aford decommits because they have so many options, we on the other hand dont,

Obviously, but again, not the point which is, again, EVERYONE has decommits these days. We're going to have a decommit or 2 or 3. Almost without question. I'd be shocked if we don't. It's who they are and how they're replaced that matters. So long as we come nowhere close to a Fudd-esque disaster, like a few years ago - and there are ZERO signs pointing towards that regardless of what everyone thought after the Mich/OSU debacles - we'll be fine.

Making up ground to teh point where we might flip a couple of four stars and land another four star isn't what I would call "losing momentum".

Here's the thing: most people making comments, as such, are just throwing shit against the wall because they're thinking the worst instead of, I don't know, actually knowing what's going on out there and relaxing just a little.

Reactions: knightfan7
ADVERTISEMENT