ADVERTISEMENT

How do you run out of eggs

ScarletDave

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2010
At 10am for a 12 noon game. The official homecoming tailgate alumni association, outside the Rodkin center … there are MAYBE 200 people here. Not anywhere close to most I’ve seen at a homecoming tailgate. 2 people working, cooking the food in a little tent. I’ve seen a bigger operation for high school carnivals. Line is now wrapped around the tent

also the saddest tiny hard bagels I’ve ever seen .. RU dining did fine in the past and of course they’ve now contracted out to some “hospitality” company … people come to this their one game a year no wonder they don’t come back .. pathetic

At 10am for a 12 noon game. The official homecoming tailgate alumni association, outside the Rodkin center … there are MAYBE 200 people here. Not anywhere close to most I’ve seen at a homecoming tailgate. 2 people working, cooking the food in a little tent. I’ve seen a bigger operation for high school carnivals. Line is now wrapped around the tent

also the saddest tiny hard bagels I’ve ever seen .. RU dining did fine in the past and of course they’ve now contracted out to some “hospitality” company … people come to this their one game a year no wonder they don’t come back .. pathetic

Lousy bagels in New Jersey. Travesty.

Reactions: MidwestKnights
Getting stuff like this RIGHT is shockingly important to building a supportive alumni base.

We keep hearing over and over that Rutgers alumni are cheap and won’t open up their check books…

But it’s often in direct result from Rutgers being cheap to the alumni. And always have been.

The homecoming tailgate should not make money. It should operate at a loss, and be an incredible (memorable) event. Amazing food, unbelievable service. These are your alumni that actually paid RU for a tailgate!

Good, successful programs understand this and invest heavily in these events.

Getting stuff like this RIGHT is shockingly important to building a supportive alumni base.

We keep hearing over and over that Rutgers alumni are cheap and won’t open up their check books…

But it’s often in direct result from Rutgers being cheap to the alumni. And always have been.

The homecoming tailgate should not make money. It should operate at a loss, and be an incredible (memorable) event. Amazing food, unbelievable service. These are your alumni that actually paid RU for a tailgate!

the chicken and the egg?? I say fans should give first.

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: ScarletDave

Yup. Exactly this. Make people feel welcome and that you're well prepared for their visit. We're excited to see you. Build rapport and goodwill. Then see what happens.

Reactions: redking
To be fair, the alumni association had a really nice spread, including a make your own sundae social with Thomas Sweet ice cream, at yesterday’s homecoming reception. The difference is that today’s tailgate reception was catered by a third party.

ADVERTISEMENT