ADVERTISEMENT

How is Souf Looking in Practice?

A

anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

Anyone know how hes looking? Curious how his game is translating

I wonder when all the 2017 recruits get on campus.

Lots to be excited about as a fan with this team.

Probably a question to ask BK.

A guard at 225 will be interesting to watch.

I think he is going to surprise a bunch of people. Our offensive may actually have a rhythm.

I think Corey, Thiam, Eugene, Williams all take step forwards. Only spot im worried about is the C. Doorson always hurt and the new CA Frosh, is well a freshman. They take time especially at the C spot.

I think he is going to surprise a bunch of people. Our offensive may actually have a rhythm.

I think Corey, Thiam, Eugene, Williams all take step forwards. Only spot im worried about is the C. Doorson always hurt and the new CA Frosh, is well a freshman. They take time especially at the C spot.

I will say, from what I have seen- Johnson is ahead of where Doorson was as a freshman coming in. Johnson was also one of the star players in a drew league day yesterday. Keep in mind the drew league is a lot of 30+ year olds. A knock, but those guys sometimes play more physically than 18 yos. I am high on Johnson. Maybe Corey goes off the ball sometimes. Who knows.

You won't get the answer to how Souf is looking in practice from practice or practice reports. Two terrible posts an hour into a legit interesting thread. Stop trolling
Trolling? Asking how a big juco guards game is translating to D1 basketball? Interesting take there guy

This is Souf at workouts. He got to the basket and Freeman committed Goal Tending. The ball hit the backboard and then Freeman got a hand it. Not Clean !!!

You Guys need to follow Rutgers Basketball on Twitter....they put out the videos from the summer workouts.

This is Souf at workouts. He got to the basket and Freeman committed Goal Tending. The ball hit the backboard and then Freeman got a hand it. Not Clean !!!

You Guys need to follow Rutgers Basketball on Twitter....they put out the videos from the summer workouts.

I wrote that it was goaltending on Facebook. Souf "liked" it. :sunglasses:

He's listed at 6'2" 210.

Let's not get carried away. If he can be as productive as James Beatty, that will be huge. If he's "just" a backup to Corey and pushes him to be better in practice, also a valuable member of the team.

Either way, that was a goaltend; welcome to RU!!!

Reactions: DECKRU
I just like that it seems most are coming around to Souf having some value. At first I feel like most posts were just "he has no offers he must suck". As if a foreign player going juco could not possibly fly under the radar and be a good find

Reactions: RBNY87
He's listed at 6'2" 210.

Let's not get carried away. If he can be as productive as James Beatty, that will be huge. If he's "just" a backup to Corey and pushes him to be better in practice, also a valuable member of the team.

Either way, that was a goaltend; welcome to RU!!!

In his last interview Pikiel said he was 225.

We made great strides defensively and on the boards last year. We need to learn how to create enough offense to m
take rhe next step. Do we becone a UVA and play in the 50's and 60's?

Reactions: streck1
We made great strides defensively and on the boards last year. We need to learn how to create enough offense to m
UVA had shooters last year. Them playing games in the 50s and 60s was all about the pace at which they chose to play, not an inability to shoot the ball or create offense.

My thought on offense was that we had no 'flow' to it. It seems like every possession was similar. Bring it up court, some ball movement on the perimeter, then some kind of desperate shot as the shot clock expired, or a turnover. I really think a guy like Souf that can run the show and penetrate a bit and make the right decisions still improve the offense. Not to mention, how many fast break turnovers did we have from out of control Nigel (not knocking him but he did play a bit out of control a team times). Or, a turnover from a bad upcourt pass? I think a lot of that will be fixed. I don't coach a lot these days, but one thing that i taught quite a bit, and I think Pikiell subscribes too as well, is 'valuing every possession'. Don't wast the opportunities.

UVA had shooters last year. Them playing games in the 50s and 60s was all about the pace at which they chose to play, not an inability to shoot the ball or create offense.

Not entirely.
UVA did not have a lot of shooters last year and often struggled to score.

Reactions: LSRF
My thought on offense was that we had no 'flow' to it. It seems like every possession was similar. Bring it up court, some ball movement on the perimeter, then some kind of desperate shot as the shot clock expired, or a turnover. I really think a guy like Souf that can run the show and penetrate a bit and make the right decisions still improve the offense. Not to mention, how many fast break turnovers did we have from out of control Nigel (not knocking him but he did play a bit out of control a team times). Or, a turnover from a bad upcourt pass? I think a lot of that will be fixed. I don't coach a lot these days, but one thing that i taught quite a bit, and I think Pikiell subscribes too as well, is 'valuing every possession'. Don't wast the opportunities.

It was more of not having a lot of good offensive options.

Virginia scored 66.1 PPG, we scored 65.5. Virginia averaged 1.12 points per possession (adjusted for opponent strength). We averaged 1.01. They were 50th in the country, we were 231st.

The lesson: PPG is completely meaningless without context. (I realize nobody is trying to make this exact point, just getting this off my chest)

Virginia's offense did "struggle" last year relative to how they'd been the prior three but it was still a solid, efficient offense.

Anyway, Pikiell does seem to prefer a slower pace of play, but not quite like Tony Bennett. Pikiell's teams are, on average, the 246th fastest (of 351, give or take). Bennett's, meanwhile, are the 337th-fastest.

There is also a difference between productive ball movement of swinging it around looking for a shot or passing/driving lanes and casually passing the ball around 30 feet away from the basket with no threat to attack the defense. Then Corey/Nigel forced to try to create a shot with the clock winding down

Virginia scored 66.1 PPG, we scored 65.5. Virginia averaged 1.12 points per possession (adjusted for opponent strength). We averaged 1.01. They were 50th in the country, we were 231st.

The lesson: PPG is completely meaningless without context. (I realize nobody is trying to make this exact point, just getting this off my chest)

Virginia's offense did "struggle" last year relative to how they'd been the prior three but it was still a solid, efficient offense.

Anyway, Pikiell does seem to prefer a slower pace of play, but not quite like Tony Bennett. Pikiell's teams are, on average, the 246th fastest (of 351, give or take). Bennett's, meanwhile, are the 337th-fastest.
Good solid defense does tend to slow a game down.

Virginia had 1 main outside shooters last year
(Pirentes sp.?)

Virginia had 1 main outside shooters last year
(Pirentes sp.?)
They shot 38.5% on 3 pointers as a team. RU shot 30.3%. They had several guys who shot over 35%. Perrantes took the most 3 point shots, and a large percentage of the 3 pointers were taken by a few guys, but that's the design of the offense they run. They had a lot more accurate outside shooters than RU did. They score in the 60s because their offense is deliberate, not because they can't shoot.

Last edited:
A true point that can penetrate and draw defenders and kick out to open shooters will make most division 1 shooters close to 40% from the field. Hoping he's that type of guard.

GO RU

They shot 38.5% on 3 pointers as a team. RU shot 30.3%. They had several guys who shot over 35%. Perrantes took the most 3 point shots, and a large percentage of the 3 pointers were taken by a few guys, but that's the design of the offense they run. They had a lot more accurate outside shooters than RU did. They score in the 60s because their offense is deliberate, not because they can't shoot.

I saw a few games where they just couldn't score.
Granted, it was against high level teams like Duke, but not that impressed with their O.

Now their defense, that's a whole other story.
Love how their players buy in to the system.
Kind of like what Pike is doing here.

I just like that it seems most are coming around to Souf having some value. At first I feel like most posts were just "he has no offers he must suck". As if a foreign player going juco could not possibly fly under the radar and be a good find
I think most of the negative post were related to his field goal percentage and FT percentage.

It is true. Most guys several months ago were ripping Souf as well as our staff for recruiting him. Most thought it was a waste of a scholarship and wouldn't even give him a chance. I am glad at least that many are now thinking he might be able to help us. I trust our coaches and I trust their decisions.

Reactions: NewJerseyHawk
ADVERTISEMENT