ADVERTISEMENT

How many RU sports do you follow?

knight82

All American
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2002
Of course everyone on this board follow hoops and I sense that a large majority here follow football. But what else? This time of year I always follow baseball and lacrosse. Watched the baseball team on BTN+ today. Had Northwestern down to their last strike and the kid hits a home run to tie it. We lost in 12 innings. RU continues to give me heartburn

Reactions: Scarlet83
Of course everyone on this board follow hoops and I sense that a large majority here follow football. But what else? This time of year I always follow baseball and lacrosse. Watched the baseball team on BTN+ today. Had Northwestern down to their last strike and the kid hits a home run to tie it. We lost in 12 innings. RU continues to give me heartburn
Wrestling and lacrosse primarily outside of the 2 money sports. Starting to pay more attention to the Olympic sports as they seem like they are all growing into legitimate B1G programs across the board.

I follow all of them and watch BTN and BTN plus pretty religiously, although only mildly interested in wrestling and swimming/diving and usually just check scores after the event. Many of the Olympic sports are doing really well or are improving and are fun to watch - soccer, volleyball, gymnastics, tennis, lacrosse and field hockey (although I'm not that clear on the rules). Also enjoy watching baseball and softball. Unfortunately, track and field is rarely televised and rowing is doing extremely well but almost never viewable. Considerable upgrades in coaching for volleyball, rowing, men's soccer, baseball, gymnastics, tennis, women's lacrosse and, hopefully, softball although the jury is still out on that one, have made following these sports much more enjoyable.

Reactions: RC71 and Rutgers56
All of them. My favorite teams to support are definitely field hockey and the two basketball teams. But I follow every team and get just as excited about a win in women’s lacrosse as I do men’s basketball.

Football and men’s basketball I follow. I will occasionally look at the scores of other teams if they are doing well. Followed Ashnault and Suriano through their championships.

1)Live and die by football
2)Basketball loss ruined my week
3)Watch women’s BBall tourney time
4)Lacrosse on side TV will focus on last few minutes of game is close
5)Football recruiting

Football, basketball, some wrestling, baseball, and lacrosse, and lightly follow all others. Will certainly try to get to volleyball now that some matches will be at The RAC starting next season. Hope somebody schedules them close to basketball times so people can just head over to Henry’s for a bite to eat and head back to The RAC. Would also like to see us go back to the guys and girls basketball doubleheader’s, especially when we are playing out of conference games against Southern Maine Tech, Fordham, Elon, etc.

Mens ball first and foremost.... football was my initial love then they were abysmal that interest with Schiano is coming WAY back.

I dont follow other sports as closely but ill check scores and stuf if it pops up on my twitter feed.

Like I always say, slap a block "R" on it and I'll watch it. Hell just the other week I was watching our women's volleyball
on BTN and found myself yelling at the screen. But I have wrestling and football season tickets the main two I watch.

Reactions: RUonBrain
I follow Men's basketball & Football. I'm happy to hear about other RU teams success, but I don't actively follow.

All of them. Today on BTN+ I used their quad screen to simultaneously watch mens soccer, lacrosse, baseball, and womens softball. Lots of fun.

Since we've been in the B1G, I pretty much try to follow all of them, at least on their game days. I'm following from a distance (Tucson) and without BTN but it's been fun to see how the Olympic sports are becoming increasingly competitive in what for many of those sports is the toughest conference in the land.

I am less likely to follow those sports where "team winners" are not usually noted. So things like Track and Field, golf, and a few others, where a team winner is often not designated (which usually means that RU did not win the team title, if there even was one) are of less interest, although it's been nice to read about some of the great individual performances in those sports.

Like most of us, I've been quite excited about how many RU teams this year have been ranked at various points (or all) of their respective seasons. And the number of weekly awards and nominations for national awards this year has been wonderful to see. It really shows that RU is making progress on so many fronts. And to see a volleyball player get the program's first B1G award was particularly nice to see.

Reactions: Rutgers56
I watch/follow every team that I can. I have season tickets to Football, Men’s Hoops and MLax. I will go to a baseball game this year.

It is so much fun to see Rutgers Athletics ascension in so many sports in such a great conference.

Reactions: RUnTeX
Football 1st and foremost then men’s basketball and wrestling. Glance at lacrosse but not a huge fan

Football and men's hoops, primarily.
Men's soccer, baseball, and lacrosse as well as women's hoops and soccer, secondarily.
A smattering of all the other sports as they hit my radar whenever they are in-season.

On a related note, I noticed that sk.com lists only 22 varsity sports on the drop down menu (9 men, 13 women). I had thought the number was still 24 sports (after the 6 cuts from a total of 30 nearly 15 years ago) but maybe I missed an announcement somewhere. Perhaps someone can jog my memory or help clarify if something was being counted differently.

Ron, as far as I know the Rutgers Hockey Club Team has been on hiatus due to corona. Here is the Rutgers Hockey website—

Long Island University just finished their first season of NCAA Division 1 hockey . They started their first season just SIX months after announcing the addition of the sport !!! During corona !—New Jersey is now sending 50 kids a year to Division 1 hockey colleges.

Long Island University just finished their first season of NCAA Division 1 hockey . They started their first season just SIX months after announcing the addition of the sport !!! During corona !—New Jersey is now sending 50 kids a year to Division 1 hockey colleges.

I couldn't read beyond the 4th or 5th paragraph due to being subscriber content but is this LIU-Post/Farmingdale (formerly C.W. Post) or LIU-Brooklyn? Where will they play home games as having an available arena is usually one of the infrastructure hurdles to starting up a program? Arrangement with Nassau Coliseum or Barclays Center?

RUinTex, LIU merged their athletic departments. They are all Division 1 now, including 1-AA football. This first season, they played their home games at the Islanders Training Complex.

Reactions: RUnTeX
Dad went to RU. We grew up RU. Majority of cousins attended RU. Worked in the athletic department.

Take a guess??

(HINT: I know that our last 2 National Champs were in fencing and 4-female stunt(?) cheer. I guess you can count arm wrestling but the NCAA doesn’t lol!)

Football and men’s basketball . Those are the only two that matter - not only to me, but to general public. That’s what your athletic program is judged on and brings in the most revenue .
But I do follow the other sports when something big is happening. Like if a famous radio host makes an awful comment about our women’s basketball team or wrestlers are going for national championships .

football, men's hoops and baseball. I have also watched wrestling but not as much as the other 3 sports. I do follow the scores of our other teams but don't really watch the games.

ADVERTISEMENT