ADVERTISEMENT

How many wins gets Chris Ash a raise??

Ash has an automatic pay raise of 100K per year built into his contract no matter how many wins he gets.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2017/11/chris_ash_signs_new_5-year_contract_at_rutgers_pat.html
rutgers-chris-ash--eccf1bb78b5740bbjpg-b34a4a0c40ddda03.jpg

The relevant question IMO is what does Ash need to do to get an extension. The answer is that he should not be given an extension this year under any circumstances. He's under contract through 2022. Let him put together two good seasons in a row, and then extend him. Best case scenario, albeit unlikely.

One win shouldn’t have saved him last year . Don’t discount the Hobbs spin of 4 wins.

The more I think about it, the more I think Ash stays with 4-8 this year. I look at how Hobbs has handled coaching moves in other sports. He clearly prefers coaches to coach out as much of their contracts as possible. I also can see that Rutgers would have a lot more funding to work with in hiring new coaches in 2020 than in 2019. Hobbs may even figure he can break ground on the field house in about a year, which could further help entice a more sought after coach.

Taking all that into account, I think 4-8 in 2019 sets up for 6-6 or out in 2020. I also predict Rutgers goes 4-8 in 2019, so this will be more than a theoretical decision.

The relevant question IMO is what does Ash need to do to get an extension. The answer is that he should not be given an extension this year under any circumstances. He's under contract through 2022. Let him put together two good seasons in a row, and then extend him. Best case scenario, albeit unlikely.
How about a trade off: give him an extension with a low buyout.

The more I think about it, the more I think Ash stays with 4-8 this year. I look at how Hobbs has handled coaching moves in other sports. He clearly prefers coaches to coach out as much of their contracts as possible. I also can see that Rutgers would have a lot more funding to work with in hiring new coaches in 2020 than in 2019. Hobbs may even figure he can break ground on the field house in about a year, which could further help entice a more sought after coach.

Taking all that into account, I think 4-8 in 2019 sets up for 6-6 or out in 2020. I also predict Rutgers goes 4-8 in 2019, so this will be more than a theoretical decision.

This is a very realistic scenario. 4-8 this year sets up 6-6 next year, and a bowl season.

Can’t argue with this train of thought. If he puts together a good season this year, he will likely put together a good season next year, as the team is young.

Didn't go through the thread. But this is my take...Ash is paid almost nothing compared to his counter parts. Ash has also performed on par with where his pay is.
With that said, if I am Hobbs, I lay it out this way to Ash...I give him this year to show me something and he has the next year to make a bowl game in order to keep his job.
To get a raise, most likely means another extension. In order to do that...I tell Ash he gets a raise after he shows me 2 consecutive years of bowls and top 30 recruiting. Because only after he does it for two years, will we see an increase of attendance and spending from our fans. And quite honestly, even if he gets us 9 wins this year, there is no driving force to make me need to give him a raise. None at all.

5 or more wins he gets a one/two year extension. For recruiting purposes it is best to have a coach with at least 4 years left on his contract. I think it gets tricky for Hobbs if he wins 3/4 games with a win over one of the big four in the division. 3/4 wins or less without that signature win, I think he is gone, but who knows what exactly Hobbs is thinking.

5 or more wins he gets a one/two year extension. For recruiting purposes it is best to have a coach with at least 4 years left on his contract. I think it gets tricky for Hobbs if he wins 3/4 games with a win over one of the big four in the division. 3/4 wins or less without that signature win, I think he is gone, but who knows what exactly Hobbs is thinking.
You don't need 4 years left on a contract to recruit. I'll agree, a coach on the last year of a contract will have difficulty recruiting but other than that it is a non-factor.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
You don't need 4 years left on a contract to recruit. I'll agree, a coach on the last year of a contract will have difficulty recruiting but other than that it is a non-factor.
If we go 1 win again we may gain a recruit or two figuring the next guys has to be better then a 4 year career without a bowl game...lol

Reactions: BlockR
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT