ADVERTISEMENT

How Rutgers’ outlook shifted during 1st bye week of 2024 season

Thats right its all about the "W's" not any rankings we may or may not have.

I’m still not sold on them. UCLA is awful.
I like Rutgers chances against UCLA, Washington, Maryland, Michigan State, Illinois, Va. Tech, Minnesota, and the rest of the schedule. There are no games where Rutgers fans can say, "This game is an automatic loss." I know fans will say USC, but I'm not convinced they can have a strong enough defense to count as a auto loss for Rutgers. I need to see more from them against tougher defenses in back-to-back B1G games. USC had too many easy games in the Pac 12.

I like Rutgers chances against UCLA, Washington, Maryland, Michigan State, Illinois, Va. Tech, Minnesota, and the rest of the schedule. There are no games where Rutgers fans can say, "This game is an automatic loss." I know fans will say USC, but I'm not convinced they can have a strong enough defense to count as a auto loss for Rutgers. I need to see more from them against tougher defenses in back-to-back B1G games. USC had too many easy games in the Pac 12.
RU, if they're healthy, might be able to bully USC a little bit.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
Based on their LSU game, USC has a very good QB who has a whole stable of excellent very quick/fast excellent receivers, so far our DLine has gotten 1 or two sacks and not a great deal of pressure against subpar offensive lines. If we can't make The USC quarterback consistently uncomfortable in the pocket its going to be Avery long day. We will not win a shootout with USC.

Based on their LSU game, USC has a very good QB who has a whole stable of excellent very quick/fast excellent receivers, so far our DLine has gotten 1 or two sacks and not a great deal of pressure against subpar offensive lines. If we can't make The USC quarterback consistently uncomfortable in the pocket its going to be Avery long day. We will not win a shootout with USC.
Who's Avery long?? 😁

We'll need to see a better pass rush.

I still don't know why our DL does not shift pre-snap. That was a staple of Schiano 1.0 defenses and it made for missed blocking assignments as players did not adjust who blocks whom. It can also draw offsides calls on the OL.

I don't get it. Our pass rush has struggled.. yeah we are missing people.. but we need to fix that to handle teams like USC.

We'll need to see a better pass rush.

I still don't know why our DL does not shift pre-snap. That was a staple of Schiano 1.0 defenses and it made for missed blocking assignments as players did not adjust who blocks whom. It can also draw offsides calls on the OL.

I don't get it. Our pass rush has struggled.. yeah we are missing people.. but we need to fix that to handle teams like USC.
You don't show your goods to joe blow, you save them for the big games.

Reactions: ScarletDave
You don't show your goods to joe blow, you save them for the big games.
Well.. we did not shift at the LOS all last year and it is something that has to be trained every day. It is not just a play you call or don't call. I'd be shocked if we suddenly did it. Hmm.. would be an interesting twist if it could be secretly installed, say, in the month before a CFP playoff game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT