ADVERTISEMENT

How the heck does Iowa have a B1G champion T&F team?

RC1978

All American
Gold Member
Feb 11, 2008
I always hear T&F guys want to run in warm weather and that's why they leave NJ and the NE. You cannot tell me that Iowa has as many good T&F athletes as NJ and surrounding area. They crushed in the B1G championship. I know we have a few feel good stories, a winner in one and a couple of place winners but we still were near the bottom in the scoring. We see tweets on how a runner just had their PR and still they did not place.

Is it facilities? Does Iowa have an indoor track? I could see a UM or NW doing well because of their academics and kids want the degree while running there, but Iowa? I know it is a broken record but you see the NJ kids placing while representing other schools and it is disheartening.

Need to edit: Congrats to all of are young men and women and thanks for representing RU.

Last edited:
1978,our needs list is so long including an indoor track. Heck, we don’t even have the New Jersey State high school outdoor championships at our outdoor track. It is held every year at some high school. Bad weather for a Big Ten tennis match? Go hop on a bus to go play at a shopping center indoor court building in East Brunswick that isn’t even red on the outside! Can you imagine recruiting a hotshot volleyball player from California and having to explain we play in the College Ave gym? Baseball and softball have high school “stadiums” And of course, the over 50 New Jersey Division 1 hockey players play for many schools—all of which are not named Rutgers.

Reactions: nikoru09
1978, and yes, Iowa does have an indoor track. Don’t know when it was originally built, but they had a renovation in 2016.

The great Jim Ryan ran at Kansas. The first 4 minute miler, and Olympian.
Marty Liquori another great miler , from Cedar Grove NJ and St Benedict’s HS.
Lasse Viren, the great marathon runner, from balmy Finland.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT