ADVERTISEMENT

How would the RU team of 2006 do in the 2022 B1G 10?

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
This is the best team in modern history for Rutgers both record and talent wise. If that team played in today's B1G 10 East how would they have done?

First keep OCC games against BC, Wagner and Temple.
Since we played Illinois that year let's keep that as one of the crossovers.
Substitute Navy with Nebraska.
Then use the rest of this years divisional schedule. tOSU, MSU, MU, PSU, Indiana and Maryland.

I think we go 3-0 in OCC games. Beat Illinois, Nebraska, Minnesota, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan St., and Michigan.
Lose to Ohio St. and Penn St.
If you sub Iowa for Minnesota I think we still win.

Go 10-2 and go to the Outback Bowl.

Thought? Opinions?

Reactions: Section124
This is the best team in modern history for Rutgers both record and talent wise. If that team played in today's B1G 10 East how would they have done?

First keep OCC games against BC, Wagner and Temple.
Since we played Illinois that year let's keep that as one of the crossovers.
Substitute Navy with Nebraska.
Then use the rest of this years divisional schedule. tOSU, MSU, MU, PSU, Indiana and Maryland.

I think we go 3-0 in OCC games. Beat Illinois, Nebraska, Minnesota, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan St., and Michigan.
Lose to Ohio St. and Penn St.
If you sub Iowa for Minnesota I think we still win.

Go 10-2 and go to the Outback Bowl.

Thought? Opinions?
May not be too far off.

???

What would 1941 Ted Williams’ batting average be in 2022?

The 2022 Big10 is much tougher than the 2006 BigLeast.

6-6
3-0 against this year’s OOC
2-0 against Illinois and Indiana
0-5 v OSU, PSU, Mich St., Mich, Iowa
1-1 v Nebraska and Maryland

Don’t forget, BigLeast was at risk of losing BCS bid back then and the 06 team didn’t have the depth B10 teams need.

Reactions: RUforlife
6-6

Don’t forget, BigLeast was at risk of losing BCS bid back then and the 06 team didn’t have the depth B10 teams need.
In the ballpark but my biggest difference is Nebraska and Maryland. I think the 06 team beats both of them in my opinion.

Offensive lines in big Ten are much bigger. Think Foster and Meekins would have problems vs OL in Big Ten. Maryland was big in 2007 and pushed us around and scored 34 points. 460 yards of offense.

Last edited:
Offensive lines in big Ten are much bigger. Think Foster and Meekins would have problems vs OL in Big Ten.
Meekins was always underestimated and Foster was able to play fairly successfully against O lines in the NFL so I think they could hold their own.
Think that the strength of that 06 defense were the LBs and secondary.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
The BE conference was 6th best, at most. Behind the MW (BYU, TCU, Utah), probably better than the WAC (with 13-0 Boise) and definitely better than C-USA.

We finished third in a weak conference. Doubtful that team finishes with more wins than losses in the big10 then or now.

The BE conference was 6th best, at most. Behind the MW (BYU, TCU, Utah), probably better than the WAC (with 13-0 Boise) and definitely better than C-USA.

We finished third in a weak conference. Doubtful that team finishes with more wins than losses in the big10 then or now.
I disagree. Two of our conference opponents finished in the top 10 AP rankings. The BE wasn't a great football conference but it wasn't that bad. You keep on saying that they were on the verge of losing their BCS slot, but I don't think that ever happened.
Hard to argue that the MW was better than the BE.
Final AP poll rankings that year had Louisville #6, West Virginia #10, Rutgers #12, BYU #16, TCU #22 and Utah didn't receive any votes.
Also after the season the BE was 5-0 in bowl games that year.

Bowl record by conference 2006-7
Big East 5-0 1.000
MWC 3-1 .750
WAC 3-1 .750
SEC 6-3 .667
ACC 4-4 .500
Sun Belt 1-1 .500
Pac 10 3-3 .500
Big 12 3-5 .375
Big 10 2-5 .286
MAC 1-3 .250
Con.USA 1-4 .200
Indep. 0-2 .000

Last edited:
Meekins was always underestimated and Foster was able to play fairly successfully against O lines in the NFL so I think they could hold their own.
Think that the strength of that 06 defense were the LBs and secondary.
Meekins led all of CFB with 5 forced fumbles in 06
Meekins and Thompson were very smart
Ever see that clip vs Illinois of Thompson going over the top?
Meekins submarining his guy made that work - they knew what they were doing
Draddy winner Leonard, Brandon Renkart (engineer) Girault, Harris, Zuttah - lots of smart guys on that team
RU was never dominant but they were cagey and hung in like terriers with a ball
Should have won vs Cincy but coach let the team get lost between the ears after L'ville

Last edited:
Reactions: RUScrew85
This is foolish. Let's start with your statement that we would have likely had a losing record against the Big Ten in 2006.

We played Illinois. They never crossed midfield. Win.

Both leagues finished with three teams in the top 12. Ohio State was the best of the bunch. Wisconsin and Michigan were up there too. The only other ranked team in the mix was #24 Penn State. The league went 2-5 in bowls. I'd say there is little chance the unranked B1G teams would've beaten us other than one possible WTF game, and we hold our own against the ranked competition. Odds are we would only face three of the four ranked teams anyway. I say we would have gone 6-2 in league at least. No way in the world we would've finished 3-5.

Turning to now. Everyone on the thread agrees we would start 3-0. Next up, home game vs unranked Iowa. We are their first road game and a week before Michigan. They might come in at 2-1 because of Iowa State. I say we win.

Next week, at the Shoe. Loss. 4-1.

Home game, Friday night vs Nebraska. As long as we aren't too beaten up by Ohio State, that's another W for thr 2006 team.

Home vs Indiana. They are weak. Win. 6-1.

At Minnesota, another road win.

Michigan at home, we are both highly ranked. Pandemonium part 2. Who knows the outcome?

I bet we finish 9-3 or better. The schedule is tougher than what we faced in 2006 but that team had playmakers all over the field and really gelled.

Reactions: Eagleton96
That was UNC. I posted the clip earlier in the week.
Tremendous stop!!!

Illinois was 33-0. No need for any goal line stands.
Thompson was Superman on that play. Was at that game. Ray Rice debut. Unbelievable start for him.

Reactions: colbert17
doubt we beat Michigan, they were very good that year...

13 Games​

13 Games​

I was saying to put the 06 team up against this years schedule. I think 06 Rutgers has good shot of beating 2022 Michigan.

Last edited:
Reactions: newell138

13 Games​

FWIW - I THINK the question is the 2006 Rutgers team vs the 2022 BigTen not the 2006 BigTen

personally I do think there is something to be said about the rigors of the Big Ten vs the 2006 Big East and I question whether the 2006 RU team may end up having depths issues in the 2022 BigTen.

With that said I think the worst we do is 8-4. 9-3 more likely.

10-2 would be very tough as this years schedule is really hard - any team with our 2022 schedule would really have to be a LEGIT top 5 team to finish 10-2 this year. so again, Im saying 8-4 or 9-3

Last edited:
Reactions: colbert17
I would say probably 8-4. The matchups would not be great against the B1G. That RU team won many games up front by running the ball and stopping the run with a quick but smallish defense. I think they would have problems with some of the more physical B1G teams. They would win the 3 OOC games this year and up to 5 wins in the B1G from Iowa, Nebraska , Minn, MD, Indiana, Mich St.

Reactions: shields
Colbert - re: my opinion that yes, the 2006 would finish just one game better than last year’s team. Your question was about this 2022 schedule, not 2021.

This schedule is not the same as last year. We play Iowa, Nebraska at home and Minnesota away (not Illinois as above).

I think at best 1-2 there, road Minnesota a toss up for the 2006 team.

Last year we played Northwestern, Illinois and Wisconsin, an easier trio than this year.

As said, 0-5 against 2022 PSU, OSU, MSU, UM, Iowa and 6–1 against the rest. The loss being either Nebraska, Minnesota or Maryland. That’s a logical take. Maybe some close games against the 0-5 group, but all losses. Look at the opponents before decrying the 6-6 opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: Eagleton96
Colbert - re: my opinion that yes, the 2006 would finish just one game better than last year’s team. Your question was about this 2022 schedule, not 2021.

This schedule is not the same as last year. We play Iowa, Nebraska at home and Minnesota away (not Illinois as above).

Last year we played Northwestern, Illinois and Wisconsin, an easier trio than this year.

As said, 0-5 against 2022 PSU, OSU, MSU, UM, Iowa and 6–1 against the rest. The loss being either Nebraska, Minnesota or Maryland. That’s a logical take. Maybe some close games against the 0-5 group, but all losses. Look at the opponents before decrying the 6-6 opinion.
In our 2014 season we went 8-4 against a difficult BIG slate. The 2006 team was better than that team. Logic therefore says at least 8+ wins would be expected.

I guess we'll disagree then.

Don’t be fooled by our 2006 ranking, or Louisville ranking, due to our records both boosted by the weak conference.

I remember in 2006 there was a lot of movement in the top 10/20 because top teams were beating each other much more than usual that year. We moved up because teams ahead of us were losing to other top teams. Being ranked higher isn’t an indicator of being better, it’s an indicator of better teams losing to better opponents than we faced that year.

pretty much every starter on that team ended up in the NFL at some capacity... would definitely be one of the better teams in the conference.

That was UNC. I posted the clip earlier in the week.
Tremendous stop!!!

Illinois was 33-0. No need for any goal line stands.

That's right - getting to be a long time ago lol

gqZ6ruJ.jpg

Worst case 4 losses … OSU/MICH/PSU most likely losses … although PSU is beatable they always seem to find a way … could see anywhere from 8-4 to 10-2.

Reactions: motorb54
6-6

Based on what?
Perception is dangerous in the wrong hands.
Again, You give more opinion than shreds of evidence to back you words.
It's about matchups and not the name on the front of the jersey.
Rutgers won in all the phases of the game, which is lacking in today's game, especially among B1G teams.

-Ohio State remains out of reach, but I think it's a more competitive game than you think.

-Michigan, with superior talent, doesn't match up well against Rutgers. It's not impossible to see Rutgers beat Michigan with a talented 2006 Rutgers team. If anyone watches Michigan closely, they will see an undisciplined team that gets away with being more talented than their opponents. The last two matchups against Schiano show you how to neutralize the talent gap.

-Iowa would get taken behind the woodshed against the 2006 team. Iowa is poor in the game's offensive and special teams phases, and it would cost them a chance to win. Iowa finished one spot worse than Rutgers in the offensive rankings last year and lost some offensive talent, but I guess that doesn't matter. I'll credit Iowa's defense, as they were one of the best last year. And Iowa was one of the worse teams on the road.

-Penn State game would be competitive. I'm not sure if either team would dominate the other for a convincing win

-Michigan State is more smoke and mirror, and I think they will be exposed this year. I give them a good shot at winner since the game is home, but if the 2006 RU defense rattles the cage of MSU QB, then RU wins. MSU QB is a stud when he has a clean pocket and time, but he's a mess when sh*t goes south.

-Nebraska is not the Nebraska of the 1990s. They are who we expect them to be most years, which is 7-5 in a great year and below .500 most years.

- Maryland may be superior to 2020 Rutgers talent-wise, but the 2006 Rutgers has a mean streak that would rip Maryland apart. For all the talk about Maryland's offense, it's one scared QB away from being bad. Maryland's QB is a front-runner. No pressure, no problem. Give their QB the allusion of pressure, and he'll sh*t the bed.

I think the 2006 Rutgers would finish 9-3 at worse and 11-1 best case.

The 2006 team (in midseason form) would lose to three of Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State.

The early season 2006 team would lose a close one in the Big Ten on the road that we won in Big East/OOC. Then we have that WTF Cincinatti game to consider.

But that Louisville team and that WVU team... we were all very good teams and all won our bowl game going away. We could have beaten ANYONE.. and we could be beaten by almost anyone. A strange and wonderful season for a great team.

Buffy, Aren’t your 1000 words also pure conjecture ?

No, your words are pure conjecture because you don't offer substance to validate your position.
My words are based more on understanding schemes, coaches, and personnel and conveying that message in a way you can understand.
I threw out some tidbits so that you could develop an idea of how some teams' actual performance compared to their perception. I bet you didn't even know Iowa's offense was worse than Rutgers last year, but you put them on par with Ohio State, Michigan, etc.

My point is to stop people from undermining the success of Rutgers and spreading the misconception that any Rutgers success will never match that of other teams' average success. For once, look beyond the names on the front of the jersey and perceptions.

Btw, I write a long post, and now I'm in the same category as NJHawk. 🤣

Reactions: shields
Ok, so 500 more words of pure conjecture. No different than me, except with 1500 more words and counting.

You see our 2006 coaching as a strength. I do not. You see our smallish defense as a strength in the 2022 big10, I do not.

We had talent to win most games in that league then, not this league now.

Opinion. No facts to support either view.

As above, doesn’t matter how far Mantle hit a homer, how fast he was, etc in knowing whether he’d be great or not today.

ADVERTISEMENT