ADVERTISEMENT

How would the RU team of 2006 do in the 2022 B1G 10?

Feel free to be delusional
If you want to compare common opponents in 2006 Penn St. beat Illinois 26-12 at home. We beat Illinois 33-0 on the road. In 2006 we beat Penn St. if we played them IMHO.
The 2022 Nittany Lions still need to seen but if the Purdue game is any indication then I think on a neutral field 2006 RU is favored vs. 2022 Penn St.

Also Texas was never #1 that year they were #2 early in the season then got blown out by Ohio St at home.

Ohio St also stomped #24 Penn St
Ohio St stomped Cincy (BE team)
Ohio St stomped #13 Iowa

Won all their other Big Ten games easily besides beating #2 Mich close

then acted like Miami did in 2002 and lost in the natty.

Rutgers wouldn't be in the game at all vs Ohio St in 2006.
I mentioned the scores of the other games because I knew you would change the parameters to fit your agenda. Why is it so difficult to give the 2006 team credit for being a good team? It continues to amaze me how Rutgers fans think lowering your head and having your tail between your legs will gain the respect of others.

Let's clear up your distortion of some games to mislead some posters into thinking you are right.

1) The final score of the Ohio State/Penn State game is misleading. It was 14-6 halfway through the 4th quarter before a false start killed the PSU drive and led to a TD by OSU. With the score of 21-6, it broke the back of PSU. OSU score the last TD on an INT with less than a minute to make the final score of 28-6 look like a dominating game.

2) Even the Cincinnati game was similar to PSU. The score was 13-7 late in the 3rd quarter. OSU score a TD to go up 20-7. By the beginning of the 4th quarter, OSU started to wear down Cincinnati. In typical fashion of teams looking to remain in the BCS race, you run up the score. OSU scored 17 points in the final 8 minutes of the game. OSU kicked a 52 yd FG with a 1:24 left in the game, why? Take a knee and give the ball back on downs, but no, because it's about showing the committee you dominated your opponent. Final score 37-7

Ohio State was not as dominant as you claim, so there are cracks in your defense.

Final BCS rankings of 2006:
1 Florida
2 Ohio State
3 LSU
4 USC
5 Boise State
6 Louisville
7 Wisconsin
8 Michigan
9 Auburn
10 West Virginia
11 Oklahoma
12 Rutgers

The SEC, B1G, and Big East each have 3 teams in the final top 12.
The ACC has no team in the top 12.
The Mountain West and the Big 12 each have one team in the top 12.

The Acc is the worst "big" conference and has been for 20 years. Says a lot that the BE doesnt exist and teams went there. Now everyone in the Acc is wishing/begging to get out.
I'd say the Big XII is clearly a step below the ACC, especially once Texas and Oklahoma leave the building. It will be Oklahoma State and.... ? The ACC won the national title three times in the last decade (FSU, Clemson x2). The Big XII last won it in 2005. The PAC-12 had an undefeated Utah in 2008 and USC was great under Pete Carroll in the early 2000s, but they've not really been great the last ten years either.

This is the best team in modern history for Rutgers both record and talent wise. If that team played in today's B1G 10 East how would they have done?

First keep OCC games against BC, Wagner and Temple.
Since we played Illinois that year let's keep that as one of the crossovers.
Substitute Navy with Nebraska.
Then use the rest of this years divisional schedule. tOSU, MSU, MU, PSU, Indiana and Maryland.

I think we go 3-0 in OCC games. Beat Illinois, Nebraska, Minnesota, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan St., and Michigan.
Lose to Ohio St. and Penn St.
If you sub Iowa for Minnesota I think we still win.

Go 10-2 and go to the Outback Bowl.

Thought? Opinions?
Rutgers would have well in any conference back in 2006. I don't think most guys who weren't at the games realize just how good that team was that year.

Quick example; We beat Kansas State by 27 points in the bowl game. K-State beat Texas during the regular season by 3. And Texas ended up being ranked 11 I think.

We beat Illinois 33-0. Ohio St beat them 17-10. Wisconsin beat Illinois 30-24 Those two teams were the class of the Big 10 that year with 12-1 records and they beat Illinois by a TD. Our defense shut them out. In short, yes we would have done really well with the 2006 team. It's 16 years later but let's keep in mind that our team back then with the same players today, they'd also be bigger and faster.

I'd say the Big XII is clearly a step below the ACC, especially once Texas and Oklahoma leave the building. It will be Oklahoma State and.... ? The ACC won the national title three times in the last decade (FSU, Clemson x2). The Big XII last won it in 2005. The PAC-12 had an undefeated Utah in 2008 and USC was great under Pete Carroll in the early 2000s, but they've not really been great the last ten years either.
That hasn't happened yet so the B12 is still better than the ACC. Can't go on the road to FCS teams and lose. Well IMO you cant play road FCS teams period and be considered a top league. I know they have to do it since they are going bankrupt but that just reinforces how bad the conference is.

Don't know if you saw the edit.

Also for the record the BE schools played 11 games vs. CUSA/MAC schools that season. They were 11-0.
I didn't but I did say the Big East was better than the MAC/CUSA. You could argue they were better than the ACC who was also bad but they weren't on the Big Ten level. When you play a Big Ten schedule you can lose games or play close games that shouldn't be close because it is a weekly grind. You don't get a weekly grind in the old Big East/CUSA/MAC/ACC etc.

🤣 Illinois lost 10 games in 2006. Idc who you play close.. If you go 2-10, you are horrible. The truth is - we only beat one good team in 2006. Add that we got blown out by a 8 win Cincy team, and loss to WVU - who still beat us, even tho they played with their freshman backup quarterback. We go 9-3 at best, probably 8-4

🤣 Illinois lost 10 games in 2006. Idc who you play close.. If you go 2-10, you are horrible. The truth is - we only beat one good team in 2006. Add that we got blown out by a 8 win Cincy team, and loss to WVU - who still beat us, even tho they played with their freshman backup quarterback. We go 9-3 at best, probably 8-4
That's different from than 6-6 you stated last week.

That hasn't happened yet so the B12 is still better than the ACC. Can't go on the road to FCS teams and lose. Well IMO you cant play road FCS teams period and be considered a top league. I know they have to do it since they are going bankrupt but that just reinforces how bad the conference is.
Old Dominion is in the Sun Belt, they are not FCS. That's not a great FBS league but still, we should be accurate. They're not playing at ODU for a paycheck either. It is to have games in a rich in-state recruiting area. Definitely still not a good look for an ACC team to lose that game.

The opponent (Big East BCS rep) Louisville beat in the Orange Bowl that year was only Wake Forest ,but also note that the year before and after West Virginia clobbered Georgia in the Sugar & Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowls...
(They also had a destruction of Clemson (Orange Bowl) a few years later, and Louisville easily beat Florida in the Sugar Bowl in the final year of the Conference).
There were a few BCS hiccups with UCONN & Cincy, but Big East was a very underrated football conference. RU 2006 could have played with anyone then, or now..

Old Dominion is in the Sun Belt, they are not FCS. That's not a great FBS league but still, we should be accurate. They're not playing at ODU for a paycheck either. It is to have games in a rich in-state recruiting area. Definitely still not a good look for an ACC team to lose that game.
Sure thing bud. They are playing away FCS games because they can't afford to pay teams the paycheck games. Doesn't help recruiting to go lose to a bad team in front of 20k fans.

ADVERTISEMENT