ADVERTISEMENT

How would the RU team of 2006 do in the 2022 B1G 10?

I guess these are the kind of questions people occupy themselves with a week before the season, but it is kind of pointless. The game has changed a lot since 2006, and right now two leagues pretty much dominate the landscape. Right now we have to compete with the team we have in one of the two toughest divisions in college football. Every year we are going to have 4 very tough interdivisional games against teams that have at least as much talent, and likely quite a bit more than us. We will also have at least one and likely more than one very difficult cross division games. What the 2006 team might have done is irrelevant, and the way the game has changed a think it is impossible to even guess.

Ok, so 500 more words of pure conjecture. No different than me, except with 1500 more words and counting.

You see our 2006 coaching as a strength. I do not. You see our smallish defense as a strength in the 2022 big10, I do not.

We had talent to win most games in that league then, not this league now.

Opinion. No facts to support either view.

As above, doesn’t matter how far Mantle hit a homer, how fast he was, etc in knowing whether he’d be great or not today.
I know this matters to you, but it doesn't to me. I know the game well and stay in touch with it. I can make an educated analysis of what a talented 2006 team could do against some of the teams in the 2020 B1G. I believe the 2006 team is better than the 6-6 record you projected.

FYI: the B1G is top-heavy. Outside of Ohio State, Wisconsin, and maybe Michigan, everyone else is riding the coattails of the big 3. Too often, Penn State is put in the same class as Ohio State and Michigan, and they are not. I love the B1G, but let's not make it out to be like it's a bunch of blue-bloods who all go undefeated.

I’ll grant you that the 2006 team would make the FCS playoffs every year.

You see the same success in the 2022 SEC west too ? Which NYD bowl ?

No, doesn’t matter to me either. PSU, Iowa, MSU may not be the level of the other three, but not our level either.

The tweener is Nebraska. Program at a low point. Can we compete with them this year ?

I’ll grant you that the 2006 team would make the FCS playoffs every year.

You see the same success in the 2022 SEC west too ? Which NYD bowl ?

No, doesn’t matter to me either. PSU, Iowa, MSU may not be the level of the other three, but not our level either.

The tweener is Nebraska. Program at a low point. Can we compete with them this year ?
Nebraska lost 9 games by single digits last season. Some are picking them to be one of the comeback teams of the year. Let's see how they look in Dublin tomorrow.

Ok, so 500 more words of pure conjecture. No different than me, except with 1500 more words and counting.
This whole topic ASKS for conjecture.

At least @cubuffsdoug made some effort to explain his conjecture.. effort that showed some amount of logic and not emotion. And if you have been on this board for some time reading football discussions, you should recognize that he understands the Xs and Os very well.

This is the best team in modern history for Rutgers both record and talent wise. If that team played in today's B1G 10 East how would they have done?

First keep OCC games against BC, Wagner and Temple.
Since we played Illinois that year let's keep that as one of the crossovers.
Substitute Navy with Nebraska.
Then use the rest of this years divisional schedule. tOSU, MSU, MU, PSU, Indiana and Maryland.

I think we go 3-0 in OCC games. Beat Illinois, Nebraska, Minnesota, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan St., and Michigan.
Lose to Ohio St. and Penn St.
If you sub Iowa for Minnesota I think we still win.

Go 10-2 and go to the Outback Bowl.

Thought? Opinions?

Sounds about right but as long as we're having fun I say we beat Pedd State too.

Offensive lines in big Ten are much bigger. Think Foster and Meekins would have problems vs OL in Big Ten. Maryland was big in 2007 and pushed us around and scored 34 points. 460 yards of offense.
RU's defensive issue in the 2007 Maryland game wasn't the size of Maryland's OL, it was misdirection, the Achilles heel of even the best of Schiano's defenses. They killed RU with outside zone cutbacks.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Just to put things in perspective. The 2006 Illinois team that we ran off the field lost a bunch of B1G games, but was very competitive.

The 2006 RU team was very very good. Legit NFL players and starters all over the field.

With that said, 10-3 including a bowl game.

1-2 vs PSU, OSU, UM.

If Greg ever gets us back to that point we will never see another HC here until Greg decides it’s time to hang it up

They may at best be a .500 team.
Why?
We did not beat Cincinnati and West Virginia.

Until Rutgers can go .500 against OSU, PSU, MSU, and Michigan, we are not ready for prime time in the Big 10.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
Just to put things in perspective. The 2006 Illinois team that we ran off the field lost a bunch of B1G games, but was very competitive.
Yes.. I recall later that season they played Number 1 OSU very tough late into the 2nd half and lost 17-10.

The BIG is better now than it was in 2006 so I’ll give both prediction-

2006 vs 2006 Teams same teams as current schedule 11-2

2006 vs 2022 Teams current schedule 10-3 +/-1

Don’t let the Nancy’s and the Shelby’s get you down just because they’re down and out. That was an incredible Rutgers team. We just happen to have a very tough schedule now compared to a solid 2006 schedule. If we stayed healthy like we did in 2006 we could play with anyone even our tough schedule but depth in certain areas would be a concern.

6-6
3-0 against this year’s OOC
2-0 against Illinois and Indiana
0-5 v OSU, PSU, Mich St., Mich, Iowa
1-1 v Nebraska and Maryland

Don’t forget, BigLeast was at risk of losing BCS bid back then and the 06 team didn’t have the depth B10 teams need.
It appears as though you forgot that the Big East had 2 top 10 teams that year plus #12 Rutgers. Rutgers could have played with just about anyone that year.

This is the best team in modern history for Rutgers both record and talent wise. If that team played in today's B1G 10 East how would they have done?

Then use the rest of this years divisional schedule. tOSU, MSU, MU, PSU, Indiana and Maryland.

I think we go 3-0 in OCC games. Beat Illinois, Nebraska, Minnesota, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan St., and Michigan.

Thought? Opinions?
Probably not great. I would like to see how second half of the 2008 season prolific offense would have fared though.

Possibly a fair point. Who’d we play ?
Sorry - I missed this post.

The 2014 schedule was as tough as this year’s schedule in my opinion. Even though WSU didn’t turn out to be that good - it was across the country. Not an easier game than at BC this season. I consider Howard and Tulane 2014 equivalents to Wagner and Temple this season. It’s true we played one less BIG game that year, but the extra game we played and won that year @ Navy wasn’t exactly a cake walk (that Navy team was pretty good - lost by 10 to 10th ranked ND and lost 34-17 to OSU). The extra BIG game is home against Nebraska. The other crossovers are comparable - Wisconsin and Nebraska (2014) vs this year’s Iowa and Minnesota. And the same BIG East opponents. Seems similar - no?

Thought? Opinions?
That team is going 3-0 against our OOC.

Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St likely losses
at Minnesota, at Michigan St toss up
Favored in everything else but could easily drop one.

Base case: 8-4 (5-4)
Bull case: 10-2 (7-2)
Bear case: 6-6 (3-6)

At 8-4 we would deserve a ranking in the 15 range but would get screwed because people focus too much on raw record and would end up in the 20-25 range

Reactions: colbert17
Don’t be fooled by our 2006 ranking, or Louisville ranking, due to our records both boosted by the weak conference.

I remember in 2006 there was a lot of movement in the top 10/20 because top teams were beating each other much more than usual that year. We moved up because teams ahead of us were losing to other top teams. Being ranked higher isn’t an indicator of being better, it’s an indicator of better teams losing to better opponents than we faced that year.
I remember hearing the same things from K State fans while tailgating in Houston. Almost verbatim. Heck they almost had me convinced. Then we murdered them.

• Haha
Reactions: cubuffsdoug

At 8-4 we would deserve a ranking in the 15 range but would get screwed because people focus too much on raw record and would end up in the 20-25 range
Sounds about right. The 2006 team was better (albeit probably not that much so than our 2014 team that performed at your 8 win base case).

I wouldn't count Minnesota, Michigan, and Penn State as likely losses. Michigan has struggled against us the last two years. It might be a matchup issue as to why they gave problems with us. Minnesota is good, but they are no OSU. PSU has the Franklin factor that can't be overlooked.

The BE conference was 6th best, at most. Behind the MW (BYU, TCU, Utah), probably better than the WAC (with 13-0 Boise) and definitely better than C-USA.

We finished third in a weak conference. Doubtful that team finishes with more wins than losses in the big10 then or now.
Not so! The Big East had three teams among top 12 teams in 2006 Other than the Big 10 and SEC which also had three teams, In 2006 The BE was better clearly better than the PAC 12, ACC and Big 12, and Conference USA, and the WAC didn't come close.
Big 10. Big East
#2 OS. #6 Louisville
#7 WIS. #10 WV
#8 Michigan. #12 RU

SEC. PAC. Big 12
#1 Florida #4 USC. #11 OU
#3 LSU
#9 Alburn

The highest rank ACC was V-tech at #19

How can you compare to the 2022 season when all the teams have played 1 game?
Nobody has any idea how good or bad the actual 2022 teams will be.
This is as useful and accurate as a pre-season poll.

It would make more sense to compare against the 2021 teams.

How can you compare to the 2022 season when all the teams have played 1 game?
Nobody has any idea how good or bad the actual 2022 teams will be.
This is as useful and accurate as a pre-season poll.

It would make more sense to compare against the 2021 teams.
You can’t. But in response to the posters saying we’d only win 6 what you can do is point out that another RU team played in the BIG (against tough cross division opponents) in 2014 and won 8 games so why would you assume the best RU team in history would perform worse? It’s unlikely the 2022 schedule will be harder than that one. If anything it will be easier.

Reactions: NickRU714
Rutgers 33-0 win over Illinois (could have been 56-0) is a good indicator of how that Rutgers team would do against the Big Ten. And as for “weak” Big East, well, the 2 teams RU finished behind that year, both were top 10.
We lost on the road in OT to #10 West Virginia, & beat #6 Louisville.
Cincinnati was the letdown loss, following the biggest win in RU history.
NFL stars were on that 2006 team. So, yes , even in the Big Ten of today, that team would finish in top 2 or 3 of Conference & play in a New Years Day (Capital
One) Bowl. The Texas Bowl did not do them justice, as was shown in their trouncing of K State

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
Might be tough for that 2006 team. Aren’t most of them in their mid 30s in 2022?

• Haha
Reactions: RUfromNJ
Also after the season the BE was 5-0 in bowl games that year
#16 Rutgers beat an unranked Kansas St (7-5)
#5 Louisville beat #15 Wake Forest (Wake is always bad even if they are "ranked")
#13 West Virginia beat unranked Georgia Tech (8-4)
8-4 South Florida beat 7-5 East Carolina
7-5 Cincinnati beat 8-4 Central Michigan

So the Big East was slightly better than the MAC & CUSA. The ACC was still terrible (Lots of Big East teams joined the ACC later) and Rutgers beat someone they should have.

Doesn't say much.

#5 Louisville beat #15 Wake Forest (Wake is always bad even if they are "ranked")

So the Big East was slightly better than the MAC & CUSA. The ACC was still terrible (Lots of Big East teams joined the ACC later) and Rutgers beat someone they should have.

Doesn't say much.
You can only play who they put in front of you.
Again the BE had three teams in the top 12 in the nation in the final AP poll. Louisville crushed Miami during the season. Also for the record the BE schools played 11 games vs. CUSA/MAC schools that season. They were 11-0.
Saying that the BE was just slightly better than CUSA shows that you must be a troll because no one could try to be so dumb.

Last edited:
I disagree. Two of our conference opponents finished in the top 10 AP rankings. The BE wasn't a great football conference but it wasn't that bad. You keep on saying that they were on the verge of losing their BCS slot, but I don't think that ever happened.
Hard to argue that the MW was better than the BE.
Final AP poll rankings that year had Louisville #6, West Virginia #10, Rutgers #12, BYU #16, TCU #22 and Utah didn't receive any votes.
Also after the season the BE was 5-0 in bowl games that year.

Bowl record by conference 2006-7
Big East 5-0 1.000
MWC 3-1 .750
WAC 3-1 .750
SEC 6-3 .667
ACC 4-4 .500
Sun Belt 1-1 .500
Pac 10 3-3 .500
Big 12 3-5 .375
Big 10 2-5 .286
MAC 1-3 .250
Con.USA 1-4 .200
Indep. 0-2 .000
This. Plus the computers ranked the BE as the 2nd best conference in 2006 vs the B1G, which was rated 5th. Our #12 ranking was fairly earned and we would've won 10 games in any conference that year IMO. Talent almost always improves over any 15-20 year period, so hard to say where any team from 2006 would do in 2022.

You can only play who they put in front of you.
Again the BE had three teams in the top 12 in the nation in the final AP poll. Louisville crushed Miami during the season.
Saying that the BE was just slightly better than CUSA shows that you must be a troll because no one could try to be so dumb.
You can be ranked just by not having a lot of losses and when you play bad teams that isn't hard to do. That's why it doesn't matter if UCF went undefeated in 2017 or if Cincy went undefeated last year. Neither team belonged in the playoff.

Reactions: jerzeyguy
You can be ranked just by not having a lot of losses and when you play bad teams that isn't hard to do. That's why it doesn't matter if UCF went undefeated in 2017 or if Cincy went undefeated last year. Neither team belonged in the playoff.
Don't know if you saw the edit.

Also for the record the BE schools played 11 games vs. CUSA/MAC schools that season. They were 11-0.

Doesn't say much.
Kansas State best #1 Texas (at the time) that same season.

#24 Penn State beat Illinois by the score of 24-12.

#17 Wisconsin beat Illinois 30-24

#1 Ohio State beat Illinois 17-10

The B1G must suck if the big bad ranked teams all struggled against Illinois.

The ACC top three team (Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, and Va. Tech all loss their bowl games. Two of the losses were to the Big East.

Based on your approach to judging teams and leagues, that means the B1G and ACC we're weaker than the Big East that year.

Attempt to twist facts failed.

Charlie Brown Football GIF

Thought? Opinions?
Injury free we beat Penn State through force of will alone. We compete with OSU with a puncher's chance

Reactions: colbert17

#24 Penn State beat Illinois by the score of 24-12.

#17 Wisconsin beat Illinois 30-24

#1 Ohio State beat Illinois 17-10

The B1G must suck if the big bad ranked teams all struggled against Illinois.

The ACC top three team (Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, and Va. Tech all loss their bowl games. Two of the losses were to the Big East.

Based on your approach to judging teams and leagues, that means the B1G and ACC we're weaker than the Big East that year.

Attempt to twist facts failed.

Charlie Brown Football GIF
The Acc is the worst "big" conference and has been for 20 years. Says a lot that the BE doesnt exist and teams went there. Now everyone in the Acc is wishing/begging to get out.

Also Texas was never #1 that year they were #2 early in the season then got blown out by Ohio St at home.

Ohio St also stomped #24 Penn St
Ohio St stomped Cincy (BE team)
Ohio St stomped #13 Iowa

Won all their other Big Ten games easily besides beating #2 Mich close

then acted like Miami did in 2002 and lost in the natty.

Rutgers wouldn't be in the game at all vs Ohio St in 2006.

Also Texas was never #1 that year they were #2 early in the season then got blown out by Ohio St at home.

Ohio St also stomped #24 Penn St
Ohio St stomped Cincy (BE team)
Ohio St stomped #13 Iowa

Won all their other Big Ten games easily besides beating #2 Mich close

then acted like Miami did in 2002 and lost in the natty.

Rutgers wouldn't be in the game at all vs Ohio St in 2006.
17-10 against Illinois while being outgained was easy? GTFOH

Northwestern has won 10 games in the B1G 3x in the last 20 years. In those years they avoided OSU but generally always played crossover games against Michigan and PSU, which accounted for their losses. Our 2006 team produced multiple NFL players — more than any of those Northwestern teams. The suggestion our 2006 team would only win 6-8 games is wacky when you compare the roster to NW’a best teams (or even MSU last year).

Reactions: JavaDunk18
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT