ADVERTISEMENT

how young is too young to bring a kid to an RU game?

xxdxpxx

All American
Sep 16, 2006
see thread title. new dad here, curious as to your thoughts! certainly not going to bring her to any games this season, but maybe next?

We're going to give it a shot for a few games this year with 3.5 year olds... I know there are people who have taken kids earlier than that, but I'm expecting to leave at half time for the games we take them to this year (probably see how they do at Howard and New Mexico, then decide whether we try for others).

Last edited:
Congrats on being a new dad! And honestly, I think the answer all depends on the weather. I wouldn't bring the kid out if it's too hot or too cold. And depending on the age, just realize that you may not be able to enjoy the game nearly as much when you're dedicating 100% of your time to the kid.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Look, after 22 years of parenting, either go to the game without the kids and enjoy the game or stay home and watch on TV. Remember your parents and in laws that all couldn't wait for you to give them grand children. Well here they are, be back tonight after the game.

the people that sit in front of us have been bring their son since he was about 14 months old. In the beginning it was never in extreme heat or cold but now he is 6, at every game, knows all the chants and cheers and songs. In between 14 months and 6 years they brought small toys and books and took a few walks around the stadium with him. You have to have patience and know when it's time to throw in the towel and just take them home.

14 month old J
baby%20jp_zpsxhvhhekd.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know the policy at RU, but if you're considering bringing a very young child to a game, check to see if he/she will need a ticket. At PSU, for example, everyone has to have a ticket, whether they are 1 day, 1 year or 100 years old. In fact, I believe that is the B1G policy, but I've seen some mixed reports online that suggest not every school follows the rule and some do allow young children in for free or at a reduced cost.

see thread title. new dad here, curious as to your thoughts! certainly not going to bring her to any games this season, but maybe next?
Congrats. Are you bringing them for their enjoyment or for your own selfishness? I would say around 5 for their enjoyment. Pretty much anything before then is just so a parent can brag that their kid attended their first game at 2 ect or so they can show off the kid. My daughter is 19 months and I wouldn't think of taking her to a game. She wants to play and explore not watch a football game. it would be like me taking you a play that in a language you didn't speak and tell you to sit and watch it for 3 hours. In the end the kid just ends up bored and often annoying those around you. If you want to spend time with them take them to a park or something they enjoy.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
I brought my son when he was about 5, against Morgan St (or whoever the opponent was). Knew leaving at halftime was the likely departure. It gave him the exposure to the sights, sounds (a very big part of the kids experience), etc. He had a ball, but was ready to leave at the half.

The next season, I took him again, still brought some things to do in case he got bored, which he did, but he didn't want to leave.

He's now 9 and jumps at every opportunity to go and fights with me if I say I'm ready to leave before the final horn.

Each of my kids started coming to games at 5 - 6. The only thing I would suggest is wait until the weather is much cooler around the end of October. I changed my ticket location to the West side so I could be in the shade with the kids. That is now moot as most of the games start at noon.

I would also suggest that you sit higher up if you are in the lower level as my guys were up and down in the second half as they want to get food and later go to the bathroom several times. You don't want to be climbing those steps all game. As they got older I moved closer to the field as they enjoyed interacting with the visiting players on the bench.

Last edited:
My oldest's first game was when she was 11 months old; my youngest was 3 month's old. Lifelong Rutgers football fans. When they were little, around mid-summer they would start asking when the Rutgers games start. It was never a chore to bring them. Luckily there were 5-6 other young kids in our tailgating group as well. Contrary to one of the posts above, I never not enjoyed an RU game due to bringing the girls; I usually left the reasons for any non-enjoyment to the coaching staff.

Don't know the policy at RU, but if you're considering bringing a very young child to a game, check to see if he/she will need a ticket. At PSU, for example, everyone has to have a ticket, whether they are 1 day, 1 year or 100 years old. In fact, I believe that is the B1G policy, but I've seen some mixed reports online that suggest not every school follows the rule and some do allow young children in for free or at a reduced cost.

the Rutgers ticket policy is 24 months and older require a ticket.

Reactions: Cheesesteak Vegas
The direct answer to your question is ...it depends (as others have already said) ..on weather, game start time, how much you want to focus on game, your personal patience/frustration level.
I brought my son to an nfl game at 11 months old and it was way too loud, we ended up in the concourse all game.
That was 18 years ago and a couple more kids since then.
Here is my example, certainly not the only way to make it happen, but I did have my 2 girls, age 9 and 10, with me for the Michigan night game back in 2014. On the field after the game.
When around 2-3 I've brought my kids to games like Howard or New Mexico that don't matter as much to me.
If you eventually want to enjoy a game with your child, where they actually enjoy it too, I recommend start bringing them by around age 4-5 the latest to increase your odds. First couple times you really have to plan the game around snacks or walking breaks (for example, get a drink at end of first and a pretzel at end if third, give the kid something to look forward to other than the game).
Attend the Scarlet walk, bring the kid pre game to the bouncy blow up things, make up some traditions other than the game...

Reactions: eceres and MrsScrew
I think when you feel your child is ready, test it out at a sporting event you don't mind leaving to see how he does. Congrats.

my son has been to virtually every game since he was 2. I don't think a number is the best way to go as each kid is very different. I have brought 8 year olds who turned out not to be ready by my standards. My son loves football, we go to college games, HS games, he even goes to HS practices when he can and he just turned 8. I have a pic somewhere of us sitting in the rain at the 11 am LVille game when he was two. We were the only two people in our row. He cried until he fell asleep when I made him leave in the 4th quarter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Piscataway
I brought my daughter at 2. She lasted about a half and needed to walk around the stadium to keep from getting completely bored. Just make sure it's not an important game. She is now 4 and has been to a few games but a whole game is still too long.

Bringing my 15 month old girl this year for the very firts time and dreading it ! But since her mother is not into watching the game rather prefers the social aspect of tailgating she is up for walking her around the stadium with her when she is going to get fussy (and she IS going to get fussy) . It will still depend on Weather (our seats are under the overhang which midigates a lot of that fortunately.)

and 2 years is the cut off for needing tickets.

I've seen people successfully bring infants to games.

As others have noted, it really depends on the kid, weather, and most importantly the willingness of the parents to get up and leave when the kid has had enough.

Bringing a kid to a game can be a rewarding experience. But don't expect to watch the game.

A word to the wise. Be careful about bringing children to the game at a young age.

Little Jovi is now a teenager and has been coming to RU FB games since he was in a stroller. The animosity and rancor that the kid has received on this board from RU fans is a little discouraging IMO.

Been bringing my youngest since he was 9 months (USF 05), but the stadium was emptier back then. It's not enjoyable for you, them, or surrounding fans. I'd say 4 or 5 is a good time to start bringing them to OOC cupcakes or late season Indiana/Maryland type games. Until then, dress the kid up in Rutgers gear & have him watch an away game with you on tv. I wouldn't bother with B1G games until double digits at least.

Reactions: Block R
My son came with me starting at 9 months. We have never left early, by age 5 (last season) he looked up at me and said these corners can't cover anyone. Have fun bringing your kid to games. I am starting to get the point where we have major sports conflicts so it is getting problematic managing to the ru schedule.

My son came with me starting at 9 months. We have never left early, by age 5 (last season) he looked up at me and said these corners can't cover anyone. Have fun bringing your kid to games. I am starting to get the point where we have major sports conflicts so it is getting problematic managing to the ru schedule.
[roll]

Started mine at like 3 months when strolder were allower. Stood in the back and held her for 4 hours crowd was too loud and too hot. Would never do it again

the Rutgers ticket policy is 24 months and older require a ticket.

Hate to admit it, but my wife and I brought our 3 year one time and told him to sit in the stroller (they were allowed in the stadium back in 2004) and pretend he was a baby. We scoped the ticket takers out to ensure that a student took our tickets because they wouldn't know the difference between a 2 & 3 year old. Too much guilt and stress to try that move ever again.

The better question is at what age should people stop coming to the games. The amount of complaining and griping heard about the game day experience in these parts suggests that the grown ups are the biggest babies.

Hate to admit it, but my wife and I brought our 3 year one time and told him to sit in the stroller (they were allowed in the stadium back in 2004) and pretend he was a baby. We scoped the ticket takers out to ensure that a student took our tickets because they wouldn't know the difference between a 2 & 3 year old. Too much guilt and stress to try that move ever again.

bah. you're not the first and probably not the last person to do that and get away with it.

However, @Cheesesteak Vegas is correct about psu and their extremely strict ticket policy. I watched them turn away a RU couple with a probably 9 month old when I was at the RU game there last year. (a game I would never have brought my 9 month old to for a wide variety of reasons)

I brought Tyler to his first game when he was 6-7 months old. For Corey, who was born in August, I can't recall if we brought him to any games his first season outside of Homecoming. But ever since, those 2 have been riding shotgun with me.

Reactions: rubaseball78
Our two will be 3 years and 8 months for Howard, and we're going to bring them with full expectations of leaving early.

It's really to start getting them used to the idea of "going to the game" and experiencing a tailgate with some other friends with kids... but only for games we have no problems leaving early and watching on DVR. Hopefully next year (4 years 8+ months) they'll be able to go to and sit through full day games, and by 5 years 8+ months will be going to them all with us.

We just took them to Medieval Times last weekend, and they loved it, and watched the whole thing... so that gives us hope that they may have a little longevity next month.

bah. you're not the first and probably not the last person to do that and get away with it.

However, @Cheesesteak Vegas is correct about psu and their extremely strict ticket policy. I watched them turn away a RU couple with a probably 9 month old when I was at the RU game there last year. (a game I would never have brought my 9 month old to for a wide variety of reasons)

That's an unfortunate scenario, but goes to show how you should research these types of things before traveling and assuming. Hopefully they found someone with an extra and were able to get in.

Didn't see this before: I got Corey in up until he was 5 years old - all you need to do is carry them and they usually don't question you.

Reactions: RUengg1991
My oldest is 9 and he has been going to games since he was 6 months. He loves all things Rutgers football. My youngest just turned 6 and he has been going since he was 3 months. Last year he would last until the 4th quarter so one of us would bring him back to the car. We sit in the upper deck so it isn't always crowded and we can climb to the top if anyone gets antsy. 3rd quarter is usually a trip to get dippin dots. I will listen to the game on the radio if we need to go out to the concourse. There isn't very good reception in some parts of the stadium. When they were very little they usually napped during part of the game. The bag policy also wasn't as strict so it was easy to bring in diapers, wipes, formula and food. If you are willing to be flexible and patient then I don't think it is a big deal. When they were little we had tickets for 4 of us just to have the extra space. You do have to go in knowing that you may need to leave at some point but we really haven't missed a lot over the years. They both go to most games, sometimes just my oldest goes and some games are adults only.

A tailgating tip for the really young 'uns; five and under. Their taste buds haven't evolved enough yet, so don't waste the 30 year old Scotch on 'em. For the kids, stick w/18 y/o Scotch or younger.

And they are young. So don't let them go crazy with the quantity either. Don't want to be irresponsible.

I first took my son when he was 4-5 or so. He seemed excited to go. His Mom had told him he'd have hot dogs and watch football. Unfortunately it turned out only one of those interested him. As soon as he finished his dog he wanted to leave. I was able to get him to stay a little while but it became too much so we left. We got about 100 yards from the stadium when he started whining he wanted to go back. I wouldn't normally give in but I wanted to stay anyway so I bought tickets again and went in. He asked for another hot dog. I guess you can figure what happened after he finished dog #2 lol.

It's been 25 years. At least he can get his own hot dogs now and it's dad, if anyone, who sometimes gets treated to free food.

Reactions: ATIOH
I brought my 5 and 4 year olds to the UNC game in 2006. Would have been fine, except for the oppressive heat that day. Spent most of the first half under the stands eating ice cream. Left during third quarter.

Net: 4 years old as long as the weather is perfect, and it"s a day game.

I had sex with my wife in the parking lot. The sperm fertilized the egg as we walked through the gates. yes so I have been bring my son since conception. I win!!!

Reactions: mildone
Decide for yourself everyone is different

I brought my kids once they were 3-4 months old...and I had no problem doing so...

Use common sense with the weather....REALLY hot games like the 2006 RU-Illinois home game is too much for small small kids....and really really rainy/cold games (like the 2009 RU-WVU home game) are too much

Most of the time its fine

Bring the kids SNACKS they can eat and like (I still do with my 11 and 9 year old)...and use common sense and all will be good.

All for my kids were at games before their first birthdays. My middle guy was born in Sept and was at a game in Oct. Personally, I found the early years to be much easier than once they were potty trained. Years 3-7 are tough. Then after 7, the kids become more self-sufficient and can sit through a game. Pick your games wisely. Kids do not do well at noon games in September when it is 90.

Reactions: eceres
ADVERTISEMENT