ADVERTISEMENT

how young is too young to bring a kid to an RU game?

All for my kids were at games before their first birthdays. My middle guy was born in Sept and was at a game in Oct. Personally, I found the early years to be much easier than once they were potty trained. Years 3-7 are tough. Then after 7, the kids become more self-sufficient and can sit through a game. Pick your games wisely. Kids do not do well at noon games in September when it is 90.
Adults don't always do well at noon games in September when it is 90.

Honestly I don't understand the point of bringing a baby to a football game. whats the point? They have no idea whats going on and they just make the game less enjoyable. I waited until my daughters were around 5-6 before bringing them. I go to enjoy the tailgating and the game, having a baby to take care of lessens the experience. I had the other 350+ days of the year to enjoy my kids and spend time with them.

Waited until 6 for football but a little earlier for basketball since weather and the length of the game wasn't a factor.

I'd recommend that move.

And agree with @newell138 , it doesn't make you a bad parent if you leave them home and it doesn't make you a bad fan if you miss a game because of them.

***EDIT*** But it DOES make you a bad parent and fan if you bring kids and you're drunk. Have seen this more than once.

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
Hate to admit it, but my wife and I brought our 3 year one time and told him to sit in the stroller (they were allowed in the stadium back in 2004) and pretend he was a baby. We scoped the ticket takers out to ensure that a student took our tickets because they wouldn't know the difference between a 2 & 3 year old. Too much guilt and stress to try that move ever again.

Also, I would guess your kid is now too big to pass for a 2 year old.

Reactions: Blitz8RUCrazy
A tailgating tip for the really young 'uns; five and under. Their taste buds haven't evolved enough yet, so don't waste the 30 year old Scotch on 'em. For the kids, stick w/18 y/o Scotch or younger.

And they are young. So don't let them go crazy with the quantity either. Don't want to be irresponsible.

When I was a kid, my grandfather used to give me Southern Comfort. He didn't see the sense in wasting good whiskey on me, and he figured I'd like the Southern Comfort better anyway, since it is sweeter.

When I was a kid, my grandfather used to give me Southern Comfort. He didn't see the sense in wasting good whiskey on me, and he figured I'd like the Southern Comfort better anyway, since it is sweeter.
My high school party typical Friday night party kit included two half pints of Southern Comfort (one in each back pocket) plus a six pack of some kind of beer. Times have changed a lot since then.

My high school party typical Friday night party kit included two half pints of Southern Comfort (one in each back pocket) plus a six pack of some kind of beer. Times have changed a lot since then.

Agree that times sure have changed. When I was in HS I remember 6 guys splitting a half pint of Seagrams 7 before a dance and a few of them puked. Wasn't till I got to RU that I found my stride.

A word to the wise. Be careful about bringing children to the game at a young age.

Little Jovi is now a teenager and has been coming to RU FB games since he was in a stroller. The animosity and rancor that the kid has received on this board from RU fans is a little discouraging IMO.

Wait .... your kid is lil Jovi?

back on track. we've brought each of our kids when they were about 10-11 months old only in the mildest of temps. And when they started to get fussy, we would walk them around the concourse. We usually left by halftime. Otherwise in bad weather the kids would stay home with my wife. When they got to be toddlers then we still walked around the concourse but we'd get them dippin dots at halftime as a treat. Most of the time we made to the end of the 3Q rarely to the end of the game. By the time they got to 7-9 years old they lasted through our 3-4 hour tailgate and the full game. Our oldest is now 14yrs old. It's a crazy that we've been taking our kids to RU Football games for 14 years now.

the people that sit in front of us have been bring their son since he was about 14 months old. In the beginning it was never in extreme heat or cold but now he is 6, at every game, knows all the chants and cheers and songs. In between 14 months and 6 years they brought small toys and books and took a few walks around the stadium with him. You have to have patience and know when it's time to throw in the towel and just take them home.

14 month old J
baby%20jp_zpsxhvhhekd.jpg
Eh,that kid probably doesn't know a cover 2 from a zone blitz.

Agree that times sure have changed. When I was in HS I remember 6 guys splitting a half pint of Seagrams 7 before a dance and a few of them puked. Wasn't till I got to RU that I found my stride.
Perhaps the one natural "talent" I have is that I'm "blessed" with an abnormally high tolerance for alcohol. I would drink my "kit" relatively early and then scrounge drinks off my friends for the rest of the night.

Perhaps the one natural "talent" I have is that I'm "blessed" with an abnormally high tolerance for alcohol. I would drink my "kit" relatively early and then scrounge drinks off my friends for the rest of the night.

Brought my daughter to her 1st game against Ohio U., I believe, when she was 5 weeks old. A couple months later she attended the Rutgers-Syracuse game, where Brian Leonard led the band afterwards. Have several copies of the newspaper the next day, featuring a pic of him leading the band. In the article, I was interviewed & it mentions my daughter's name. Nice 1st souvenir, which I had Brian sign.
I have taken her to at least 1 game every year since & have a picture with her from every season in the stadium. She's 10 now.

By the way, I applaud all of you who have worked hard to indoctrinate your children young in the rapture which is Rutgers Scarlet Knights Football!

Ah, Southern Comfort and Coke! The good ol' days!

Reactions: mildone
My son is 3.5 and he's been to a game for the past three seasons. I always bring him with the full expectation that we will leave early and that I won't see that much action while we're there. I record the game and watch it when we get home. I bring him because we can see friends and he loves the atmosphere (tailgating, big crowd, band, Scarlet Knight, etc, etc).

The first year we took him was mostly to see friends we might not see otherwise so they could "meet" him in person. The last two years he has loved all the action (tailgating, crowd, band, cheerleaders, Scarlet Knight, etc...with actual football lower on the list right now). We usually leave the game early and then head over to College Ave to walk around campus and he really likes walking around seeing all the buildings and activity on campus. Great family time. It's been the same taking him to Rutgers Day for the last three years too.

For those that say don't do it or question why people take a young kid that's your experience/preference/opinion but I'd say give it a try. If he disliked it (or starts to) I'll stop taking him but he's already been talking about going this season.

Reactions: ATIOH and RUChoppin
Brought out son to his first game when he was 5 months old and would bring him to a couple of games a year for his first 3-4 years. He generally enjoyed the games, but if he got cranky, my wife, who didn't really care about football, would take him out to the concourse (this happened once, iirc).

As he got older, I'd bring him to maybe half the games, usually without his mom and he generally had a lot of fun. By the time he became a teenager, he was a lot less interested in football, so he'd go maybe once a season, which is what he still does, at age 21 (he's a senior at RU; he transferred to RU a year ago) - although now the attraction is the free booze and food, lol. He says he might want to come to a couple of games this year. His favorite memory (and mine, of course) was the Louisville game, when he was 12, and we stormed the field.

A tailgating tip for the really young 'uns; five and under. Their taste buds haven't evolved enough yet, so don't waste the 30 year old Scotch on 'em. For the kids, stick w/18 y/o Scotch or younger.

And they are young. So don't let them go crazy with the quantity either. Don't want to be irresponsible.

found a pic of Mildone and his crew at one of last season's tailgate parties:

asu-baby-keg.jpg

Reactions: RUsSKii and mildone
Brought my first son to games when he was a toddler in the early 90's. Loved the atmosphere, but never got an interest for the game... too many lean years I guess. (Ended up graduating from PSU :-/) Took my daughter since she was in a backpack. Kept going til she went to college. Never developed a real interest in football. My 13 year old son has been going since he was a toddler. Didn't take with him either... he now wants to stay home. I get jealous when I see Dads with kids who are thrilled to be there... just know that taking them when they are young does NOT guarantee that they will!

Brought my son to his first game when he was 3 1/2 yrs old - however they have all been basketball games. A bball game may be your best bet for a few reasons:

1. Throws the weather variable out the window
2. The Scarlet Knight and the real knight are much more accessible there (my son saw them both multiple times during games and got pix)
3. Timeouts/Halftime a little more entertaining

Anyway the general rule of thumb is when the snacks ran out he did too. Made it to a 3rd quarter once - thinking about it now I should have put him on a time rewards system. Either way enjoy - great experience teaching the little one the cheers, and having them see things for the first time.

Brought my 5 year old to the Louisville game in '06 - had to walk back to the train station parking in NB - mayhem... They are never too young

Obviously no one right answer here. As I said above, have taken both girls since they were months old. A couple of anecdotes. Older one is now in Arizona but watches whenever RU is on TV there. Younger one when she was 6 or 7 had to miss a game because she had pneumonia. Made mom put the game on TV so she could watch. I doubt these would have happened if they didn't grow up going to games.

Remember,children 12 and under can get FREE tickets for the Howard game(Junior Knights Day) and those in Kindergarten through 8th grade get FREE tickets plus a FREE hot dog and FREE soda AND get to participate in the Scarlet Walk for the Illinois game(Outstanding Students Day). Call the ticket office at 866-445-4678 Monday-Friday 9:00-5:00.

Waited until 6 for football but a little earlier for basketball since weather and the length of the game wasn't a factor.

I'd recommend that move.

Brought my son to his first game when he was 3 1/2 yrs old - however they have all been basketball games. A bball game may be your best bet for a few reasons:

1. Throws the weather variable out the window
2. The Scarlet Knight and the real knight are much more accessible there (my son saw them both multiple times during games and got pix)
3. Timeouts/Halftime a little more entertaining

Anyway the general rule of thumb is when the snacks ran out he did too. Made it to a 3rd quarter once - thinking about it now I should have put him on a time rewards system. Either way enjoy - great experience teaching the little one the cheers, and having them see things for the first time.
Mentioned this earlier.

IMO Basketball is a nice way to ease them into Scarlet Knight fandom for the reasons above and because at this stage of the program if you leave early, might not miss much. :)

A word to the wise. Be careful about bringing children to the game at a young age.

Little Jovi is now a teenager and has been coming to RU FB games since he was in a stroller. The animosity and rancor that the kid has received on this board from RU fans is a little discouraging IMO.
Lil Jovi is now a sophomore at the School of Engineering.

Congrats. Are you bringing them for their enjoyment or for your own selfishness? I would say around 5 for their enjoyment. Pretty much anything before then is just so a parent can brag that their kid attended their first game at 2 ect or so they can show off the kid.
This sounds like something that would only happen in a cult.

Congrats! I'm going to try it with a 2-1/2 year old. He's been bugging me to go to a game. Hell I he still some time falls asleep to the "R" song (alma mater).

I'll probably take him to the New Mexico game with the expectation that it's going to be a sh*tshow.

My son will be 2 on October 1. His best friend, who is similar in age, could probably sit through a large portion of the game. Mine wouldn't make it one series. Every kid is different.

ADVERTISEMENT