ADVERTISEMENT

HS Wrestler Question

rubaseball78

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Sep 29, 2005
Lyndhurst, NJ
A friend of mines daughter’s boyfriend is a high school wrestler from New Rochelle. I looked him up and looks like he is going well. She tells me he is interested in RU. I know nothing about wrestling recruiting. Is he at a level where RU would be interested? If so are we recruiting him?

A friend of mines daughter’s boyfriend is a high school wrestler from New Rochelle. I looked him up and looks like he is going well. She tells me he is interested in RU. I know nothing about wrestling recruiting. Is he at a level where RU would be interested? If so are we recruiting him?
In a general sense if you’re not at least a 1x state champ you probably won’t make it in the big 10. There are exceptions, but there are more state champ wrestlers that can’t make it in the big 10 than there are non state champs who can make it in the big 10.

That doesn’t mean he can’t join the team and contribute. Al DeSantis is doing alright for himself and if he placed his senior year is was like 7th or 8th.

Reactions: Leonard23
Steven Burrell @ 215? He's the 4 seed and will contend for a NYS title next week.

I just asked a simple question. I don’t know kid, have never spoken to him. I was just curious for myself. I wasn’t asking for the kid. Jeez, thanks.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
I just asked a simple question. I don’t know kid, have never spoken to him. I was just curious for myself. I wasn’t asking for the kid. Jeez, thanks.
I wasn’t trying to be rude, I was just trying to answer your question. Didn’t realize you never met him. The person who should know the answer to your question dates your daughter. She might be better able to help you out that most of us here.

She told me RU was interested. We all know with recruiting that could mean RU sent him a letter vs they are actively recruiting, or somewhere in between.
Neither Rutgers or anybody else recruited my nephew until November of this year. He had a growth spurt after his junior year and his running times got faster and faster this Fall and he finished 25 out of 190 in the state Championship Meet of Champions .despite running almost the entire race with a bloody nose. Rutgers knew about him before that, though. After the race day, that was when he was offered a spot on the team and brought up on a recruiting trip. Rutgers is in his final four. Schools, in some sports, do sometimes jump in after they know about a kid for a while. Can’t say about wrestling.

Is he on Rutgers radar?

She told me RU was interested. We all know with recruiting that could mean RU sent him a letter vs they are actively recruiting, or somewhere in between.
I have no inside info on this, but it sounds like they at least made contact and have some interest, so if he has a good run next week it could turn into something more. Good luck to him!

Reactions: rubaseball78
Burrell finished 3rd @ 215 @ NY states a few weeks ago, and just finished 3rd @ 220 @ NHSCA Senior Nationals in Virginia Beach.

B1G wrestling programs are really elite. Also, NY isn't as strong a wrestling state as NJ or PA. Minisink Valley is becoming a powerhouse that might start to get kids scholarships out of state, but it's tough. For example, PJ Duke is a hammer and he's on many teams' radar.

Both my kids wrestled in NY. The best kid in our school district for the last 10 years was a multi-year state place winner and won the Greco states. He's wrestling D2 now. As others have said, Rutgers starters are typically state champs somewhere, not place winners. There just aren't that many D1 roster spots out there (much less B1G roster spots).

No..They have no interest and not recruiting him..Now if he's a great student (4.0/great SAT) and wants to walk on then maybe they would be interested in having him on squad..New York has a 2 division State tournament and if your not a multiple champ or place-winner or have placed high in Fargo then chances are very slim

Last edited:
Burrell finished 3rd @ 215 @ NY states a few weeks ago, and just finished 3rd @ 220 @ NHSCA Senior Nationals in Virginia Beach.
NHSCA Nationals are just not anywhere near where they use to be..10/20 years ago it was the pinnacle of HS Wrestling were almost every State Champ in America attended...Just doesn't happen anymore..New Jersey use to roll there when their State Champs attended. Saw where there were a bunch of NJ placers this year and I don't even think any of them were top 8 in NJ. If he did finish 3rd there he still is probably pretty good but nowhere near a B1G recruit...Small D1 Schools like LIU and Sacred Heart might be interested in him

Last edited:
Reactions: Leonard23
NHSCA Nationals are just not anywhere near where they use to be..10/20 years ago it was the pinnacle of HS Wrestling were almost every State Champ in America attended...Just doesn't happen anymore..New Jersey use to roll there when their State Champs attended. Saw where there were a bunch of NJ placers this year and I don't even think any of them were top 8 in NJ. If he did finish 3rd there he still is probably pretty good but nowhere near a B1G recruit...Small D1 Schools like LIU and Sacred Heart might be interested in him
Letsgo you may have inside info here so don’t want to discount what you are saying but, to RUBaseball, there are a lot more factors at play than where the kid finished in States and at NHSCA this year. For example, when did he start wrestling? How athletic is he/how committed to the sport? What grade is he currently? Is he done growing/what weight does he project to be at, etc, etc…If he is newer to the sport or younger, athletic, projects to be a HWT and is deeply committed to the sport then he may do very well at the D1 level and may be on numerous schools radars including Rutgers. Look at Anthony Cassar. Didn’t place (I don’t even think he made it to states) in the NJ state tournament until winning it as a senior. Walked on at Penn State and beat Gable Steveson 2x to become an NCAA Champion. Sure, it’s the exception rather than the rule but my point is if the kid has talent/is an athlete/is willing to outwork others and is willing to bet on himself, then the sky is the limit. High school accolades are only one piece of the puzzle. Wish the best for him. If he is interested in RU, he should reach out to them. I’m sure the coaches would be happy to speak with him if they haven’t done so already.

Reactions: LetsGoRUwrestling
Letsgo you may have inside info here so don’t want to discount what you are saying but, to RUBaseball, there are a lot more factors at play than where the kid finished in States and at NHSCA this year. For example, when did he start wrestling? How athletic is he/how committed to the sport? What grade is he currently? Is he done growing/what weight does he project to be at, etc, etc…If he is newer to the sport or younger, athletic, projects to be a HWT and is deeply committed to the sport then he may do very well at the D1 level and may be on numerous schools radars including Rutgers. Look at Anthony Cassar. Didn’t place (I don’t even think he made it to states) in the NJ state tournament until winning it as a senior. Walked on at Penn State and beat Gable Steveson 2x to become an NCAA Champion. Sure, it’s the exception rather than the rule but my point is if the kid has talent/is an athlete/is willing to outwork others and is willing to bet on himself, then the sky is the limit. High school accolades are only one piece of the puzzle. Wish the best for him. If he is interested in RU, he should reach out to them. I’m sure the coaches would be happy to speak with him if they haven’t done so already.
But like you just said, Cassar wasn’t offered a scholarship. He had to walk on, just like he suggested the NY kid do

Great points but I was only responding to if Rutgers was recruiting a kid from New Rochelle right now. And winning a NJ title is a big jump from finishing 3rd in 2 class NY..Also I remember Cassar was part of USA Junior World Freestyle Team in 2015 before enrolling at PSU. Something the New Rochelle kid never will sniff. I'm sure Cassar had plenty of D1 Scholarship offers but took a chance to wrestle for Penn State

Last edited:
Reactions: FoxRU
B1G wrestling programs are really elite. Also, NY isn't as strong a wrestling state as NJ or PA. Minisink Valley is becoming a powerhouse that might start to get kids scholarships out of state, but it's tough. For example, PJ Duke is a hammer and he's on many teams' radar.

Both my kids wrestled in NY. The best kid in our school district for the last 10 years was a multi-year state place winner and won the Greco states. He's wrestling D2 now. As others have said, Rutgers starters are typically state champs somewhere, not place winners. There just aren't that many D1 roster spots out there (much less B1G roster spots).
I know the area well. Minisink has Duke and Ryder who many are interested in.

Reactions: WhoRU?
Burrell practiced at SKWC this morning. He's all solid muscle. Some hammers there today. Alvarez was there too working hard with White, so I think we can finally put to bed those rumors.
I really hope Sammy pans out. We hear this "we got him in the room. so the rumors are untrue" bullshit speech every season ( like Aragona) and then they either disappear or are with the team supposedly practicing, dangling the carrot amongst fans as to whether they will wrestle or not. If Sammy shows up to the season, keeps his weight under control, and wrestles the way we know he can, then we, including myself, can eat Crow for all of our past and current skepticisms.

Just saw this post from New York Wrestling News:

Steven Burrell Jr.'s GPS just directed him straight to the 225-pound JFC title bout!!!

The 2022 NYS DI 3rd/2022 Bronze medalist out of New Rochelle is headed to the 'ship following a 2-0 shutout over 2022 New Jersey State 8th, Brendan Raley!!!

The only score of the match occurring in the last 10 ticks of the 1st period, the Grant Paswell Systems (GPS) trained senior defended a shot attempt from his opponent by locking through the crotch, rolling through, and coming out on top of the ensuing scramble for the TD...

Raley and Burrell Jr. took turns riding each other out in the 2nd and 3rd periods to keep the scoreboard unchanged!

Reactions: Bobbynieds
Didn't realize Burrell is doing a prep year at Green Farms Academy. He just upset #2 Neves from Blair at 215 to win a prep national title, and plans to go 197 in college.

Reactions: Bobbynieds
I really hope Sammy pans out. We hear this "we got him in the room. so the rumors are untrue" bullshit speech every season ( like Aragona) and then they either disappear or are with the team supposedly practicing, dangling the carrot amongst fans as to whether they will wrestle or not. If Sammy shows up to the season, keeps his weight under control, and wrestles the way we know he can, then we, including myself, can eat Crow for all of our past and current skepticisms.
Wow spot on read.

Sammy did not pan out so quitting because he did not make weight was not the fault of RU or the coaches. Sammy did that. He may turn the rest of his career around and I really hope he does because I have always liked him personally and always will. The only time I will root against him is when he is wrestling an R U kid.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
You are all boring me about Sammy. There are so many big names that have come…and don’t work out. IDK Big schedule or maybe just was good in HS and college grind not for them. Just let it go.
Well, it’s on him that he couldn’t make weight. But in his mind, he believes it’s RU’s fault and that we are his motivation to succeed or something..

A friend of mines cousins aunt dog sitters barber mail man’s adopted son is interested in Rutgers wrestling. Think we could all discuss the stupidity in bringing in useless recruit together? Seems to be what we do around here

Someone has a little too much time on their hands, seems a bit disgruntled, and cant seem to stay away from here. Probably better off severing ties to RU all together in order to retain the diminishing support he still has from our fanbase...IF it's him.

A friend of mines cousins aunt dog sitters barber mail man’s adopted son is interested in Rutgers wrestling. Think we could all discuss the stupidity in bringing in useless recruit together? Seems to be what we do around here
Something about mental real estate blah blah

ADVERTISEMENT