ADVERTISEMENT

Huddle logistics with no crowds

RUHouston

All Conference
Gold Member
Jul 24, 2009
Flower Mound, TX
As I'm listening to the Pikiell podcast he's discussing not having fans in the stands and how that could level the playing field, so to speak, for home court advantage. It occurs to me that it could impact the huddles, too. If the Coach is strategizing in the huddle with the team he may have to keep his voice down because I imagine sound will carry....

Can you imagine a player in the huddle saying, "Hey coach, I just overheard the other team calling out this play..."

They might have to go to flashcards or come up with other verbal codes to hide strategy.

Am I overthinking this?

Definitely overthinking. NBA has been playing in a bubble for a long while and it's been fine .

Just because their aren't fans doesn't mean they won't play music during timeouts and such.

It goes both ways so no real advantage that I see. Maybe he’ll use sign language or have someone sign like at a press conference.

Without folks in the stands it should give the TV production crew a lot more leeway on camera positioning and where announcers view the game from.

As I'm listening to the Pikiell podcast he's discussing not having fans in the stands and how that could level the playing field, so to speak, for home court advantage. It occurs to me that it could impact the huddles, too. If the Coach is strategizing in the huddle with the team he may have to keep his voice down because I imagine sound will carry....

Can you imagine a player in the huddle saying, "Hey coach, I just overheard the other team calling out this play..."

They might have to go to flashcards or come up with other verbal codes to hide strategy.

Am I overthinking this?
Yes, you are overthinking this. But that's okay, we're in uncharted territory. I expect piped in crowd noise + music.

Reactions: RUHouston
Yes, you are overthinking this. But that's okay, we're in uncharted territory. I expect piped in crowd noise + music.
Isn’t part of home court also knowing the feel of where you are on your court, depth perception when releasing shots in a familiar building and of course the rims As well?

Isn’t part of home court also knowing the feel of where you are on your court, depth perception when releasing shots in a familiar building and of course the rims As well?
Yes, but with no fans or limited fans, visiting teams will probably think that the game atmosphere feels like one step up from practice or a shootaround.

Am I overthinking this?

Lmao this is such a bad take

Bill Belichick would find a way to exploit it. Why not someone else?
Down on the floor, even with fans, coaches often hear the other coach yell out play calls.

These teams scout each other so well these days, especially the good teams, that the assistant coach who has the "scout" for a game usually has a list of of the opponent's set plays and knows what they call each play. So, for example, when a coach from team A hears a coach from team B yell something like 'Double Fist, Double, Fist" or "57 Google Down" a coach from team A knows what is team B is going to do and will shout appropriate instructions to his players.

Which is why I am grateful for schools that have floor seating for media. I LOVE hearing all that stuff. The game within the game.

Reactions: Plum Street
An email went out to ACC teams today about fan attendance.

Notre Dame and Boston College will not have fans. Miami will not have fans until Jan. 1 at the earliest Pitt and Syracuse had "no comment" on fan attendance.

Duke will allow 25 people "above and beyond team personnel" to attend games. (May as well have said family or player guests only).

Georgia Tech 15-20 percent.
FSU 25-30 percent
Louisville asked for 25 percent and are hopeful they will be allowed 10-15 percent

ADVERTISEMENT