ADVERTISEMENT

Huh--HS football can play this fall

If anyone cares to remember,I brought up this possibility back in March,hoping that I could go see Middletown South's games,as my great nephew should become their kicker as a freshman.He won a regional pass,punt,and kick contest at 9 years old in 2015,defeating even the 15 year olds.

Still nothing official until NJSIAA makes their decision later this week, as per Gov Murphy's Presser.

murphy and the head of NJSIAA just were in a love fest with murphy saying no reason not to play outdoors and even if no in person schooling but all online they can still play--heck he also said social distancing is not a problem at HS games--looks like I may at least be able to watch my grandson defend their state title

"I don’t see the HS football team practicing anymore." not true they are having full drills

murphy and the head of NJSIAA just were in a love fest with murphy saying no reason not to play outdoors and even if no in person schooling but all online they can still play--heck he also said social distancing is not a problem at HS games--looks like I may at least be able to watch my grandson defend their state title

Social distancing is only a problem for Murphey if it affects his polling numbers or union backers. Somebody please tell me how social distancing is a problem in a classroom but not a problem in the stands of a HS football game with those same kids PLUS adults who may be more at risk (i.e. old enough to have a grandson playing God bless him) much closer together.

Reactions: Newbrunfus
Let’s see if they actually play games, and how many. HS and college FB players are not in a bubble like NBA and NHL.

A relatively small number of cases will shut it all down.

People will find issues with this even though THEY want the same thing lol.

It's been quite funny to watch.

Gov. Murphy (D) has made numerous "ignoring science" decisions.
Such as his frequent endorsements of HS and College sports happening in the fall.

People will find issues with this even though THEY want the same thing lol.

If both classroom and games were shut down I would understand the logic whether I agreed or not. This makes NO sense WHATSOEVER from a public health perspective as well as simple logic.

Let’s see if they actually play games, and how many. HS and college FB players are not in a bubble like NBA and NHL.

A relatively small number of cases will shut it all down.
We are all going into this with eyes wide open. It is important to give these young men the opportunity to play- especially our seniors.

Reactions: Greg2020
If both classroom and games were shut down I would understand the logic whether I agreed or not. This makes NO sense WHATSOEVER from a public health perspective as well as simple logic.

Did Murphy shut down all schools? It's up to each district.

I'm a go out on a limb and say same applies to sports. If a district shuts down classes but allows FB to play, you'll have a point. And they'll be rightfully excoriated by the public, save for a handful of meatheads on this board who'll think it is an awesome decision because ...bustin heads doesn't take a sick day, chest bump, oooommmmph!

That's not what Im seeing here, though.

If they play, this is great for New Jersey recruiting. The entire West Coast is shut down as well as hotbeds like Illinois, North Carolina and Virginia. New Jersey is in a great position to take advantage by showcasing its players while other kids have to sit.

Last edited:
If anyone cares to remember,I brought up this possibility back in March,hoping that I could go see Middletown South's games,as my great nephew should become their kicker as a freshman.He won a regional pass,punt,and kick contest at 9 years old in 2015,defeating even the 15 year olds.
What number will he want to wear at Rutgers?

Is the HS decision coming this week? I thought it was second week of September for some reason.
Murphy, Coach Wimberly and Coach Sarlo (both also spoke at todays presser) said that the NJISAA will make the decision "by week's end."

Reactions: jreinsdorf
That's when the season opens.
If all goes through, "summer practice" will continue until 8/28. Then a dead period (like the 10 day dead period until first Monday of August in normal years) will take place until 9/14. Then 2020 season is scheduled to start on 10/2 weekend.

If all goes through, "summer practice" will continue until 8/28. Then a dead period (like the 10 day dead period until first Monday of August in normal years) will take place until 9/14. Then 2020 season is scheduled to start on 10/2 weekend.
The schedule opens 10/2. Practice begins 9/14. And summer workouts have been open since July. We go until next week for summer practices because school opens for us next week.

Social distancing is only a problem for Murphey if it affects his polling numbers or union backers. Somebody please tell me how social distancing is a problem in a classroom but not a problem in the stands of a HS football game with those same kids PLUS adults who may be more at risk (i.e. old enough to have a grandson playing God bless him) much closer together.

FFS. Look up these two words:

Indoors.

Outdoors.

Exactly. Thousands and thousands of HS football players as compared to what, 1500 in all of the BIG?

Once again Murphy makes no sense in any of his decisions. We can do everything but vote now.
What? College athletes have to deal with dorms, travel, potentially international students, and 30,000 other kids at schools.

Also this has nothing to do with Murphy. He's allowing the Njsiaa to make the call, which is the right move.

Club sports, and high school practices, have run successfully in NJ since August.

Exactly. Thousands and thousands of HS football players as compared to what, 1500 in all of the BIG?

Once again Murphy makes no sense in any of his decisions. We can do everything but vote now.
Newell - Please think with the logical part of your brain, and not the political part. You lose credit when you way overreach like this.

FFS. Look up these two words:

Indoors.

Outdoors.

Offset by fans, some who will likely be higher risk, in the stands not separated by 6 feet of social distancing vs. a classroom with social distancing.

Oh, and did Murphey dine out (or should I say dine indoors) last night? Bon appetite.

NJ has done a much better job v. CV-19 than other states. We sacrificed. Other states didn’t. We get to reap the reward
LOL we got hit the hardest out of all 50 states other than maybe new york. Thousands killed because of one decision regarding nursing homes. NJ was a massive train wreck when it comes to CV and the numbers prove it

LOL we got hit the hardest out of all 50 states other than maybe new york. Thousands killed because of one decision regarding nursing homes. NJ was a massive train wreck when it comes to CV and the numbers prove it
You're just wrong on this, and after the initial surge, we've been doing great. But, you can't see that, so...

Newell - Please think with the logical part of your brain, and not the political part. You lose credit when you way overreach like this.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they are playing. I think all HS sports should be open and playing sports. And if Murphy wanted to shut it down he would, regardless of what the NJSIAA says. It just proves my point about voting in person, there is no reason we can't.

Offset by fans, some who will likely be higher risk, in the stands not separated by 6 feet of social distancing vs. a classroom with social distancing.

Oh, and did Murphey dine out (or should I say dine indoors) last night? Bon appetite.

Outdoor youth sports have been going on safely in the state for months now. I'm sorry you're totally ignorant about the way the virus works.

Outdoor youth sports have been going on safely in the state for months now. I'm sorry you're totally ignorant about the way the virus works.

And how big are the crowds watching? We have people on this thread saying they will be in the stands watching their grandchildren playing. If you're saying the virus can't be spread by crowds outside not practicing social distancing you're the one who's ignorant. Just watch what's happening on the college campuses reopening where the students are throwing large outdoor parties. UNC just went back 100% remote learning. But no, in your infinite wisdom, being outside provides total immunity.

ADVERTISEMENT