ADVERTISEMENT

Hyatt Double-Double

I know Cam stole the show with his 17 points, but gotta show some props to Aundre too. Second leading scorer with a double-double. 12 points, 10 rebounds. I know he didn’t get much press in the off-season, but he impressed me tonight.
Looked real good and in great shape too. Showed great energy attacking the boards. Also has good rotation on his shot. And the finish on the alley oop?! I didn’t think he had that in him.

Sloppy at times but a better defender and more athletic than RHJ. Hopefully can fill a good portion of the lost scoring. Doesn’t have the shooting range though.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
He still makes a ton of mistakes on both sides of the court. It will be very interesting watching Mag and Hyatt fight for minutes. Mag is a better defender and is more apt to make the right play, but he doesn’t rebound like Hyatt. Hyatt got some rebounds that others not named Cliff can’t get.

He still makes a ton of mistakes on both sides of the court. It will be very interesting watching Mag and Hyatt fight for minutes. Mag is a better defender and is more apt to make the right play, but he doesn’t rebound like Hyatt. Hyatt got some rebounds that others not named Cliff can’t get.
They both make me cringe when they have the ball in close in traffic.

its going to be an interesting watch to see who gets that start, one can say it will alternate but almost always one will end up getting just a little more trust. My eye test currently which is only based on prior seasons and one game and potential says that Mag has the advantage

Watching Hyatt close up on warm ups and it’s apparent he’s bulked up and his shooting stroke looks really good. He has been really solid in both Fairfield and Columbia games. His ability to rebound and now with an improved shooting stroke, I can see him playing big minutes.

And....he played good defense despite what the 'Hyatt is not a good defender" crowd says.

He played exclusively the 4 in this game. Nobody said he can’t play interior defense.
It’s his perimeter defense that’s a problem but wouldn’t have mattered if he played there in this game anyway. Columbia couldn’t make uncontested shots.

Mag is going to be the starter. Hyatt the backup. Mag is also a very good rebounder. He doubled Hyatt's rebounds in the exhibition game against better competition

He played exclusively the 4 in this game. Nobody said he can’t play interior defense.
It’s his perimeter defense that’s a problem but wouldn’t have mattered if he played there in this game anyway. Columbia couldn’t make uncontested shots.
The vast majority of teams play "4- out" on offense. There is really not much difference defending a "so-called 3 or 4" in 2022 unless a team plays 3 smaller guards like Illinois did last year. Occasionally, a "4" will post up like Harper did last year....But, 95% of the time he was on the perimeter.

So, if the point is he has issues with defending quicker players....then sure, The entire team had some issues with defending quick players on the perimeter with the exception of Jalen Miller and McConnell. That's why Miller's redshirt was pulled.

Last edited:
If you bring back Caleb then add Dean to the Mag/Hyatt mix things get real interesting and, for the time being, situational.

The vast majority of teams play "4- out" on offense. There is really not much difference defending a "so-called 3 or 4" in 2022 unless a team plays 3 smaller guards like Illinois did last year. Occasionally, a "4" will post up like Harper did last year....But, 95% of the time he was on the perimeter.

So, if the point is he has issues with defending quicker players....then sure, The entire team had some issues with defending quick players on the perimeter with the exception of Jalen Miller and McConnell. That's why Miller's redshirt was pulled.

Scratch the reference to position then. It doesn’t matter whether his assignment is a 3 or a 4. My comment was in reference to your questioning those who said Hyatt can’t play defense. Nobody ever said he was a poor interior defender in the post / on the block.

The glaring weakness that’s been pointed out about Hyatt’s game is perimeter defense which wasn’t required at all for yesterday’s game from anyone. Columbia was 1 for 19 from 3 and by the end we backed off entirely because they couldn’t buy a basket from the outside.

Some fans make a comment or a decision on players and will argue them for life. I see this in both sports and often the same posters.

Hyatt played a good game. If you can’t agree with that then just say you don’t like him or his game. Say it once and then shut up. No need to continuously hammer kids In Multiple threads for life. Doing it once is bad enough. Doing it repeatedly is sad.

Msg took 2 bad threes. Hyatt hit 2 beautiful 3s. I still like Hyatt over Mag

I think PT will depend on the match up. Against better teams, Hyatt’s perimeter defense can hurt us. That did not look to have improved much from what I saw vs. Fairfield. This didn’t matter at all in the Columbia game since they couldn’t make wide open shots. Hyatt might be more of a bruiser than Mag in terms of rebounding and toughness on the interior, but the gap there is much smaller than the perimeter defense gap. Mag is just much better guarding the inside/ out style. Mag is also the better ball handler of the 2 which could be a factor as we’re going to have games that become PG by committee. It’s a relief that Cam looks to be a much better ball handler than anticipated because Paul isn’t nearly as steady as Geo was.

Some fans make a comment or a decision on players and will argue them for life. I see this in both sports and often the same posters.

Hyatt played a good game. If you can’t agree with that then just say you don’t like him or his game. Say it once and then shut up. No need to continuously hammer kids In Multiple threads for life. Doing it once is bad enough. Doing it repeatedly is sad.

What the heck is your problem man? There is not one post in this thread from anyone stating they do not like Hyatt or that he didn’t have a good game. If anything, I was very complementary regarding the facets of Hyatt’s defense that were required for success in yesterday’s game.

But a poster directly called out (in this thread) those of us who have previously expressed concerns about Hyatt’s perimeter defense based on a game where the opponent didn’t need to be guarded on the perimeter at all. Pointing this out is not ragging on the kid. It’s neutral clarification.

And by the way - when I express a concern that looks to be unfounded I acknowledge it promptly. I thought Cam Spencer would struggle with defense and ball handling. After watching Fairfield (not Columbia where he had obvious glowing stats) I ate crow on both those concerns. Despite not shooting well that game - he looked very solid in those areas vs. a decent Fairfield team and I said as much right away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scangg and zappaa
Hyatt has wingspan that is over 7 feet, his arm length and now 3 years past the knee injury, has him in a better position to thrive.

I think Mag has more likelihood to be the energy guy off the bench that gives RU defense and spark (along with Simpson). Mag and Hyatt can give RU garbage points inside as well, but starting Hyatt is more likely to get 10 and 10 out of him than expecting that to happen off the bench.

I like Mag coming into the game off the bench and terrorizing the opponents bench players and scoring against a teams bench players as the 6th starter than the other way around. We also need someone who can help Cliff on the glass and Hyatt is an elite rebounder. If he plays 25+ minutes, he's going to average 8 to 10 rebounds a game. He probably could have finished with 16 and 10 vs 12 and 10, just on a couple of putbacks.

Scratch the reference to position then. It doesn’t matter whether his assignment is a 3 or a 4. My comment was in reference to your questioning those who said Hyatt can’t play defense. Nobody ever said he was a poor interior defender in the post / on the block.

The glaring weakness that’s been pointed out about Hyatt’s game is perimeter defense which wasn’t required at all for yesterday’s game from anyone. Columbia was 1 for 19 from 3 and by the end we backed off entirely because they couldn’t buy a basket from the outside.
This, unfortunately, is how message boards work. The same defensive lapses that Hyatt makes just like Harper, Mulcahy, Baker, Mag on the perimeter become highlighted as a "glaring weakness" in Hyatt and ignored in the others. Then, it gets repeated over and over.

I was at the Fairfield game and then watched it on BTN+ days later. There was no glaring weakness in Hyatt's perimeter defense. Certainly no more than anyone else.

The thing that kept Hyatt off the court more last year was sloppiness with the ball on the on the offensive end. Like clockwork, he got pulled right after a bad turnover or a bad ill advised shot.

Last edited:
This, unfortunately, is how message boards work. The same defensive lapses that Hyatt makes just like Harper, Mulcahy, Baker, Mag on the perimeter become highlighted as a "glaring weakness" in Hyatt and ignored in the others. Then, it gets repeated over and over.

I was at the Fairfield game and then watched it on BTN+ days later. There was no glaring weakness in Hyatt's perimeter defense. Certainly no more than anyone else.

The thing that kept Hyatt off the court my more last year was sloppiness with the ball on the on the offensive end. Like clockwork, he got pulled right after a bad turnover or I'll advised shot.

I guess everyone just observes different things. Forget Baker - he’s gone. I accept that Paul’s defense is what it is because we need him on the court to run the offense. That means we can’t afford another weak link guarding the 3 ball. It was one game - but based on Fairfield, I was impressed with Cam’s ability to stick with his man and get where he needed to be on switches. Same for Simpson (especially for a frosh). Hyatt did not look different to me in this area and got beat several times. He did some very good things on offense though in both games and was a beast on the glass vs. Columbia.

FWIW - Pike swapped Hyatt and Mag for the Columbia game. Mag defended the perimeter more than Hyatt (though it didn’t end up mattering).

Hyatt has wingspan that is over 7 feet, his arm length and now 3 years past the knee injury, has him in a better position to thrive.

I think Mag has more likelihood to be the energy guy off the bench that gives RU defense and spark (along with Simpson). Mag and Hyatt can give RU garbage points inside as well, but starting Hyatt is more likely to get 10 and 10 out of him than expecting that to happen off the bench.

I like Mag coming into the game off the bench and terrorizing the opponents bench players and scoring against a teams bench players as the 6th starter than the other way around. We also need someone who can help Cliff on the glass and Hyatt is an elite rebounder. If he plays 25+ minutes, he's going to average 8 to 10 rebounds a game. He probably could have finished with 16 and 10 vs 12 and 10, just on a couple of putbacks.
I’m going to quibble with the word elite, Hyatt can be a solid rebounder IMO. He is not an elite rebounder nor is Cliff.

Reactions: toby83
I know Cam stole the show with his 17 points, but gotta show some props to Aundre too. Second leading scorer with a double-double. 12 points, 10 rebounds. I know he didn’t get much press in the off-season, but he impressed me tonight.
Thought his defense was much improved.

Reactions: Scangg

Agree but I thought Hyatt looked better defensively on the perimeter than in the past. I don't love him at the 3, but that won't matter much when Calen is back taking 30 min there anyway. I would have Mag at the 3 the other 10 and Dean or Hyatt at the 4

I guess everyone just observes different things. Forget Baker - he’s gone. I accept that Paul’s defense is what it is because we need him on the court to run the offense. That means we can’t afford another weak link guarding the 3 ball. It was one game - but based on Fairfield, I was impressed with Cam’s ability to stick with his man and get where he needed to be on switches. Same for Simpson (especially for a frosh). Hyatt did not look different to me in this area and got beat several times. He did some very good things on offense though in both games and was a beast on the glass vs. Columbia.

FWIW - Pike swapped Hyatt and Mag for the Columbia game. Mag defended the perimeter more than Hyatt (though it didn’t end up mattering).
And Hyatt looked better tonight bc of it. If Mag and Hyatt are on the court together, Mag needs to be covering the better perimeter player. It's pretty obvious that's the better defensive matchup for us

Reactions: BillyC80
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT