ADVERTISEMENT

I don't buy it

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
I have seen Winthrop type teams for years. The team on the floor right now is better than Cuse,Seton Hall,Xavier and many more Power 6 teams who could or will get a bid. The eye test has to mean something. If they had lost this game they would merit a play in game berth. Why not reserve those Tuesday games for at least 2 low majors who lose in their conference tourneys final but are 26-3 level teams? The structure of the Selection Committee makes it nearly impossible for at least 18 conferences to be 2-bid leagues. Not right in my opinion.

I don't buy it.

playing in a conference where you only have to play really well 2 or 3 times a year rather than every single night.

you don't deserve a bid unless you win outright.

I understand the thought that one bad half or 40 minutes of basketball erases 4 months of work....I also understand one game being the incentive for a 2 or 3 seed to not feel like they can't make up for something in a regular season.

Let's use RU as an example.....missed Cliff for 5 to 6 games.....had Baker hobbled for most of the year and Harper not the same after end of December....all of those factors impacted how high they could have finished in standings.

Then today, Iowas Weiskamp goes out of the finale vs Wisconsin....is he out for B1G tournament and longer....what if Villanova lost Gillespie in December, would they be a 2/3 seed....??

I don't think us fans know these midmajors enough to know if the 2nd or 3rd place team had a starter missing and would have been actually better than Winthrop all year. It makes the season count for everything by making that team run the table.....

I don't want the college football scenario of teams deciding to rest starters or deciding to schedule random OOC games in mid to late February, to allow teams to coast down the stretch.

In American sports, the “playoff” is a part of it. That’s why the 18-0 Patriots weren’t super bowl champions. There are many ways to do it. In Europe they look at your whole body of work. In America they look at your work at the end of the year more so than the beginning. It is what it is. Win the important games

Reactions: Plum Street
They did give one to Belmont(25-6), a play-in game, in 2018-19.
Q1 2-2 Q2 3-1 Q3 3-2 Q4 17-0
Belmont 81 Temple 70
Temple(23-9) Q1 2-6 Q2 6-2 Q3 7-1 Q4 8-0

One spot will continue I think.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT