ADVERTISEMENT

I feel bad for

Here’s hoping that the state of football at a school (any school) ...good or bad is not something used in making such a big decision.

I chose Rutgers because it has a kick-ass atmospheric science program. Prior to attending RU I had never even been to a HS football game; the interest in football started sophomore year.

Clemson and Villanova applications have gone out of the universe since their National Championships. Baylor Admissions staff will be getting VERY busy after last Monday. Half of the University of Alabama is now out of state students and it isn’t because they have a top notch Art History Department. The Flutie effect is real.

I don’t think a kid should just pick a school because they have a successful football or athletics program in general, but it does get the name out there. It is not a coincidence that more and more kids from the North, especially boys, are interested in SEC schools ( plus Clemson). When you go to the other extreme, schools without any football, they often do turn into ghost towns on weekends in the Fall. My cousins son went to two schools without any football, Ramapo and Stockton, and he said there is nothing to keep the students there or bring alumni in on Fall weekends.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
I don’t think a kid should just pick a school because they have a successful football or athletics program in general, but it does get the name out there. It is not a coincidence that more and more kids from the North, especially boys, are interested in SEC schools ( plus Clemson). When you go to the other extreme, schools without any football, they often do turn into ghost towns on weekends in the Fall. My cousins son went to two schools without any football, Ramapo and Stockton, and he said there is nothing to keep the students there or bring alumni in on Fall weekends.

The point was more that Rutgers should be a viable option for NJ kids when too many kids and parents in the state stick their nose up at RU.

Rutgers certainly got a big boost in interest from New Jersey students after the 2006 season. And that was BEFORE we got into the Big Ten and the UMDNJ merger !

The point was more that Rutgers should be a viable option for NJ kids when too many kids and parents in the state stick their nose up at RU.
If people stick their nose up to an education from RU because of the football team, they're idiots. If they look down on an RU education relative to another schools education, that's their prerogative.

There are plenty of kids that aren't sure what they want to study or even if college is right for them. So a fun sports atmosphere is appealing. It doesn't mean that's all they care about, but it is a factor

There are plenty of kids that aren't sure what they want to study or even if college is right for them. So a fun sports atmosphere is appealing. It doesn't mean that's all they care about, but it is a factor
My neighbor’s daughter was like that. Started at TCNJ and then switched to Rutgers for some of those reasons.

Should it be a major factor or factor at all ? No . But the truth is it is and it’s a major part of college life . Look at us making the basketball tournament and many people were reminiscing about when they were students 30 years ago and where they were . People talk about games they attended as students . I hardly hear anyone talking or reminiscing about the biology or precalc classes they took.

Clemson and Villanova applications have gone out of the universe since their National Championships. Baylor Admissions staff will be getting VERY busy after last Monday. Half of the University of Alabama is now out of state students and it isn’t because they have a top notch Art History Department. The Flutie effect is real.
The Flutie effect is very real. I live in Massachusetts and lived in Natick ( his hometown) when Flutie was at BC. BC is a good academic institution but it's reputation rose when applications skyrocketed and it became more selective after Flutie's time there. I also take issue with the poster above who said football shouldn't be factor in college selection. Of course the #1 criteria should be academic excellence and fit of the institution. However, once you've graduated ( I'm RC '73), often your only real connection to your alma mater is through sports , especially football. My son graduated Washington University in St Louis , one of the best universities in the country. But I said to him when selecting his college that once you've graduated, you'll have little connection to the university other than through fundraising and infrequent alumni activities. And I've been proven right.

My hope is that the immediate result of Rutgers improving in football is engaging the CURRENT students. My son, a sophomore in the School of Engineering, was really disappointed in the lack of interest when he arrived on campus for the 2019 season. Couldn't find anyone in his dorm (on Busch Campus!) that even wanted to go to the games. The UMass game was during move in weekend and the RAs scheduled competing dorm activities. The Ash Effect in full bloom.

Should it be a major factor or factor at all ? No . But the truth is it is and it’s a major part of college life . Look at us making the basketball tournament and many people were reminiscing about when they were students 30 years ago and where they were . People talk about games they attended as students . I hardly hear anyone talking or reminiscing about the biology or precalc classes they took.
You must have missed the JJ Seneca thread about 6 months ago.

UNC.
West Point.
Syracuse.
Princeton.

I picked UNC because my prep school roomie was there already.
Dad didn't talk to me for 6 months when I chose there and didn't take WP or Pton.
Cuse was where I transferred to when all the coaches were fired at UNC.

Reactions: schemingup23
My choices were UNC, Colgate or Rutgers. Top two factors were cost and geography.

I have posted this before but this type of thread comes up once a year. Disclaimer, my whole family graduated and got secondary degrees from RU. My wife has worked there for over 30 years and my Son worked and taught there before he left for private industry.

I give tours of RU for friends and their kids. I must have done 50 of them over the years. I can tell you this, 90% of the kids that take the tour , do not see RU as the first choice school. Most of the Parents think their kids are too good for RU and only think about it because the price might be cheaper. I can also tell you most NJ guidance counselors for whatever reason do not think well of RU. They push kids to schools that IMO are not equal to RU academically. When I first started giving tours at least 80% of the kids that went on the tour ended up at RU , that number has slipped dramatically over the last 5 years.

To make it worst, some of these kids parents went to RU. Please don't take this the wrong way, but from what I have seen and heard most Asian families see RU as a top notch research university while most of the families I take for a tour are typical middle class white families and for whatever reason do not see RU that way.

I do not know the answer to shifting the thoughts of High Schoolers and their parents but RU should find a way. I do agree with a post on this thread. Two families I know sent their daughters to Clemson and both of those families have season RU football tickets. Clemson is not close to RU academically but has a great football team.

1978, if we don’t have one, we need to start a program specifically to move Rutgers students into guidance counselor positions in both public and private high schools. We also need to offer a four year Education degree, in addition to the current five year program, To blanket New Jersey schools with RU grads. Many kids and families are not interested/can’t afford five years of college.These moves will help us in recruitment of General students, as well as athletes.

The evidence shows that the extra applications come from students who don't have the credentials to be admitted. Northwestern was an example the year they went to the Rose Bowl. So the additional applications are worthless to the school. Students value other factors much more than athletics -- @West Point Knight is an example.

There is, for better or worse, no evidence that success in sports has much to do with academic prowess, or with donations to the academic side of the institution. None of the schools you mention are particularly good; Alabama is a step below Auburn (in the same state) and U. Georgia (in a neighboring state)

Reactions: SHUSource
The evidence shows that the extra applications come from students who don't have the credentials to be admitted. Northwestern was an example the year they went to the Rose Bowl. So the additional applications are worthless to the school. Students value other factors much more than athletics -- @West Point Knight is an example.

There is, for better or worse, no evidence that success in sports has much to do with academic prowess, or with donations to the academic side of the institution. None of the schools you mention are particularly good; Alabama is a step below Auburn (in the same state) and U. Georgia (in a neighboring state)
While I totally agree with your first paragraph I am not so sure on the bolded in the second. And just what I bolded:

There is...no evidence that success in sports has much to do with...donations to...the institution.

Now granted I tweaked it a bit to suit my argument but I was in the banquet room in Houston at the Texas Bowl when Rutgers did get its biggest (at the time) donation to the academic side for cancer research. It could have been announced at any time but Rutgers and the benefactors chose to do it while we were all there celebrating the success of the 2006 Football season.

Here’s hoping that the state of football at a school (any school) ...good or bad is not something used in making such a big decision.

I chose Rutgers because it has a kick-ass atmospheric science program. Prior to attending RU I had never even been to a HS football game; the interest in football started sophomore year.
I know kids who were planning on going to schools in the northeast who are now headed south. Kids want to be at schools that are open. You only do college once

While I totally agree with your first paragraph I am not so sure on the bolded in the second. And just what I bolded:

There is...no evidence that success in sports has much to do with...donations to...the institution.

Now granted I tweaked it a bit to suit my argument but I was in the banquet room in Houston at the Texas Bowl when Rutgers did get its biggest (at the time) donation to the academic side for cancer research. It could have been announced at any time but Rutgers and the benefactors chose to do it there while we were all there celebrating the success of the 2006 Football season.
I suspect that the motivation for the gift and the time of its announcement were two *very* separate things. A more helpful indication is years of data showing that the Clemsons and Baylors of this world do not attract extra donations as a result of athletic success. Worse, there is evidence that athletic scandals hurt all giving, including academic giving.

I am a fan of Rutgers sports, and I think sports success helps bring the university community together. But there seems no evidence here, or elsewhere, that athletic success has much to do with a university's quality. If it did, the Ivy League schools would be considered mediocre academically, and of course they are not despite the not-great quality of their interscholastic athletics.

I know kids who were planning on going to schools in the northeast who are now headed south. Kids want to be at schools that are open. You only do college once
The trend toward going to southern schools has been happening for years as these institutions improve and as the South becomes a more important part of the nation. It has nothing to do with the pandemic. Consider also that Rutgers has pledged to have normal classes this Fall, so being "open" should be playing little or no role in student decision-making.

I suspect that the motivation for the gift and the time of its announcement were two *very* separate things. A more helpful indication is years of data showing that the Clemsons and Baylors of this world do not attract extra donations as a result of athletic success. Worse, there is evidence that athletic scandals hurt all giving, including academic giving.

I am a fan of Rutgers sports, and I think sports success helps bring the university community together. But there seems no evidence here, or elsewhere, that athletic success has much to do with a university's quality. If it did, the Ivy League schools would be considered mediocre academically, and of course they are not despite the not-great quality of their interscholastic athletics.
Again, not disagreeing with the last part.

And also agree about the lack of correlation between athletic success and donations to primarily the academic side of an institution.

But it doesn’t hurt. LOL

The trend toward going to southern schools has been happening for years as these institutions improve and as the South becomes a more important part of the nation. It has nothing to do with the pandemic. Consider also that Rutgers has pledged to have normal classes this Fall, so being "open" should be playing little or no role in student decision-making.
Your telling the kids who go to HS with kids, nieces, and nephews are being dishonest? I know these kids, I know where they were going to go and where they are now going. It’s 100% because of the pandemic.

Yes it does.

As a parent of someone going thru the process and having friends who also have children going thru it, it is most certainly part of the conversation.

Reactions: vkj91

Now granted I tweaked it a bit to suit my argument but I was in the banquet room in Houston at the Texas Bowl when Rutgers did get its biggest (at the time) donation to the academic side for cancer research. It could have been announced at any time but Rutgers and the benefactors chose to do it there while we were all there celebrating the success of the 2006 Football season.

I am a fan of Rutgers sports, and I think sports success helps bring the university community together. But there seems no evidence here, or elsewhere, that athletic success has much to do with a university's quality. If it did, the Ivy League schools would be considered mediocre academically, and of course they are not despite the not-great qua
Your telling the kids who go to HS with kids, nieces, and nephews are being dishonest? I know these kids, I know where they were going to go and where they are now going. It’s 100% because of the pandemic.
If they use a browser, they'll quickly learn that Rutgers will be open this Fall. If they can't, maybe it's just as well they're going south.

I am a fan of Rutgers sports, and I think sports success helps bring the university community together. But there seems no evidence here, or elsewhere, that athletic success has much to do with a university's quality. If it did, the Ivy League schools would be considered mediocre academically, and of course they are not despite the not-great qua

If they use a browser, they'll quickly learn that Rutgers will be open this Fall. If they can't, maybe it's just as well they're going south.
Where are these articles that say Rutgers will be 100% open and in person this year? Full capacity at football games and the RAC? Plus we already know they are requiring kids to get vaccinated. Not everyone wants to vaccinate their kids. We just pulled out of Cooperstown tourney this year because they want 12 year olds vaccinated.

Totally disagree that when applications surge after athletic success that the additional students are not higher level students. I know that for a fact from Villanova and Clemson. First nephew went to Villanova. Second nephew had friends who applied to VU who had better grades and SATs to VU and couldn’t get in. When I lived in South Carolina in the 90s, a hamster could have been admitted to Clemson. Second nephew applied to Clemson a few years ago and was put on the wait list. Highest number of applicants in school history. He was admitted to Rutgers, State Penn, UMass, TCNJ, Lehigh, and Lafayette, and Florida. He ended up picking UF.

ADVERTISEMENT