ADVERTISEMENT

I feel bad for

... the word scholarship can be very very deceiving and it is CERTAINLY used as a recruiting tool (which RU doesn't seem to engage in anywhere near as much). For a NJ high school student they might get a couple thousand a year in an "academically earned scholarship" but the cost of attending that school, with that scholarship is still higher than attending Rutgers. (because for privates and out-of-staters on publics the cost is significantly jacked up 2-3x what RU charges for in-staters)

BUT the parents get to brag to friends and family that lil Sally got scholarship money at this beautifully maintained southern school. So the parents are now filled with pride. And that even leads to them openly bashing Rutgers because they wouldn't offer Sally scholarship money. (but RU is cheaper and perhaps still the better value)

That is one way that the in-state perception and reputation amongst parents, counselors, and neighbors is sour towards RU.
If you’re a good enough student a lot of privates will look at the State on your return address and match (merit based, need based) the flagship.

If you’re not, you’re going to pay. And that’s where your zip code comes in to play.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Anyone going into huge debt into Medical School should think about what the US health care system may look like in 10 years or so. Will anyone be able to repay that amount of debt if universal health care comes along ?

So once again; ROTC and then after you get your BA/BS the armed services will send you to various QUALITY Medical Schools, like Johns Hopkins, where those schools reserve places for those people. ROTC pays your tuition/books/fees and gives you a monthly stipend. Graduate and you're an Officer, and get another free education called Doctor.

Become a Doctor/Dentist what did it cost you in dollars ? ZERO.

Another big factor is time of year you visit. Ive always been told Clemson is such a nice campus. We visited two December’s ago and left unimpressed. Giving it another chance in May.

Clemson's Football Stadium is nicknamed; '"Death Valley", because of the heat and humidity in the fall at Clemson.

Clemson's Football Stadium is nicknamed; '"Death Valley", because of the heat and humidity in the fall at Clemson.
Right now, she’s only reaching out to programs in warmer weather areas. That might have to change if those programs don’t show mutual interest.

Vanderbilt is excellent.
Wake Forest beautiful area and campus.
UNC, Chapel Hill same as above.
William & Mary.

Private schools are going to Saturn at this point. Villanova is now pushing $80,000 a year.

Vanderbilt is excellent.
Wake Forest beautiful area and campus.
UNC, Chapel Hill same as above.
William & Mary.
Vanderbilt and Wake are borderline reach schools for her sport. NC, her best bet would be as a walk on. Unless a coach falls in love with her game she’s probably bottom half P5 type player. I want her to go to Rice.

My nephew who graduated from there last May told me he is not sure if he could get in now. Applications soaring because of the National Championships.

Vanderbilt and Wake are borderline reach schools for her sport. NC, her best bet would be as a walk on. Unless a coach falls in love with her game she’s probably bottom half P5 type player. I want her to go to Rice.
What is her sport ?

Has she been recruited to Clemson ? or other ACC type schools ?

This is a factor. My daughter will start at Clemson in August. She has no interest in college football. She just wants to go away for college. In fact, I have wanted all of my kids to go out of state for college. Not a knock on RU, but I would like my kids to see other parts of the country, get away from home and grow on their own. My youngest ended up at TCNJ over Colorado (my preference) and Syracuse and loves it. My second went to VT last Fall and had a bad experience given the lock-downs, remote classes, etc., and he also had Covid. I think my third saw that experience and opted for a school that is wide open (over Bucknell, which was my preference). Let's face it, NJ has an excellent high school system, and many NJ high schoolers have many options for college--many with prettier campuses, better college towns and, yes, better sports programs. Yes--a student can get an excellent education at RU, but many kids just want to try another part of the country.

Kids should choose whichever place that will bring the best out of them.

Reactions: irishflu92
What is her sport ?

Has she been recruited to Clemson ? or other ACC type schools ?
She’s a soccer player. Schools can’t officially talk to players until June 15 going into their junior year. Unfortunately, because of Covid, things are behind schedule by a year. That being said, she had heard through back channels that schools are already interested including some ACC and Ivy league schools. This summers ID camps will be big for her.

The Common Application can do that.
Yeah, I saw that first hand with my niece. Because of covid, she was afraid she wouldn’t get a soccer offer so she asked me for some schools to apply to. I gave her like 10 schools that I thought she would like without soccer. She fired out those 10 applications in like 20 min.

Yeah, I saw that first hand with my niece. Because of covid, she was afraid she wouldn’t get a soccer offer so she asked me for some schools to apply to. I gave her like 10 schools that I thought she would like without soccer. She fired out those 10 applications in like 20 min.
10 x $100 a pop = a racket LOL

... the word scholarship can be very very deceiving and it is CERTAINLY used as a recruiting tool (which RU doesn't seem to engage in anywhere near as much). For a NJ high school student they might get a couple thousand a year in an "academically earned scholarship" but the cost of attending that school, with that scholarship is still higher than attending Rutgers. (because for privates and out-of-staters on publics the cost is significantly jacked up 2-3x what RU charges for in-staters)

BUT the parents get to brag to friends and family that lil Sally got scholarship money at this beautifully maintained southern school. So the parents are now filled with pride. And that even leads to them openly bashing Rutgers because they wouldn't offer Sally scholarship money. (but RU is cheaper and perhaps still the better value)

That is one way that the in-state perception and reputation amongst parents, counselors, and neighbors is sour towards RU.

That's all true and just sad people would be so poorly informed.

RU could definitely do a better job advertising itself.

Reactions: Greg2020
Seeking Colorado over TCNJ or Clemson over Bucknell is the most NJ thing I've come across. It's total Shop Rite line material. Even when they leave NJ, it's for the lesser academic school.

LOL. Have you been to Boulder? Have you seen the UofC campus? It also has a world-class engineering program (which is what my son is studying at TCNJ). Don't get me wrong; he loves TCNJ and is thriving there, and that's what matters most. But to criticize someone for preferring UofC over a NJ school not named Princeton is just parochial and stupid.

And, if you read my post, you'll see that I preferred Bucknell over Clemson for my daughter. She chose Clemson for her own reasons; it's not my choice.

Irish, my best friends daughter and her husband went to TCNJ and loved it. They were both Accounting majors and said the profs were very interested in the students and class sizes were small. Oldest nephew really liked it when he visited, but decided it was just too close to Howell and went to VU.

LOL. Have you been to Boulder? Have you seen the UofC campus? It also has a world-class engineering program (which is what my son is studying at TCNJ). Don't get me wrong; he loves TCNJ and is thriving there, and that's what matters most. But to criticize someone for preferring UofC over a NJ school not named Princeton is just parochial and stupid.
I liked what I saw with TCNJ Engineering too. But older one didn’t love it as much as I did.

Like your daughter he chose where he went for his own reasons and like your son is thriving too. Multiple Dean’s List and two great internships that ended up being close to home.

Reactions: irishflu92
Right now, she’s only reaching out to programs in warmer weather areas. That might have to change if those programs don’t show mutual interest.

If warm weather is her thing, she should consider the University of Miami. Terrific place and lots of people from the Northeast. And a tremendous College experience.

If warm weather is her thing, she should consider the University of Miami. Terrific place and lots of people from the Northeast. And a tremendous College experience.
Right now, of the schools she’s visited, Miami is her top choice.

Reactions: rutgersal
just like everyone you know hates dems.
Never said that. In fact, had coffee with a super liberal women this evening. Still lives in the city, pisses away 60k on some HS that’s teaching her kid she’s a racist, and buys into tons of liberal garbage. But she’s starting to wake up. She at least admitted tonight that NYC is the worst she’s seen it in the 25 years she’s lived there. Many people are waking up.

Never said that. In fact, had coffee with a super liberal women this evening. Still lives in the city, pisses away 60k on some HS that’s teaching her kid she’s a racist, and buys into tons of liberal garbage. But she’s starting to wake up. She at least admitted tonight that NYC is the worst she’s seen it in the 25 years she’s lived there. Many people are waking up.
Yeah yeah that's what you said before 2020 election and we all saw what happened. King murphy will cruise to relection. Next week you will be posting that this woman admitted biden is the real racist and trump was better all along, and that she moved to florida.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Yeah yeah that's what you said before 2020 election and we all saw what happened. King murphy will cruise to relection. Next week you will be posting that this woman admitted biden is the real racist and trump was better all along, and that she moved to florida.
Burden of proof is on you. Show where I said everyone.....

And, if you read my post, you'll see that I preferred Bucknell over Clemson for my daughter. She chose Clemson for her own reasons; it's not my choice.

I am sure its beautiful, but beautiful don't pay the difference between TCNJ and Colorado tuition, and it also doesn't influence someone deciding who to hire. If he wants to work in NJ (and probably NYC or Philly) there's a much greater chance of encountering a TCNJ alum. Also, not everyone wants to go to a big state school. I chose RU over TCNJ because I did want a big school. As much as the Shop Rite line will say otherwise, NJ has great options, RU and TCNJ both being excellent schools.

If I were paying personally I would say if you go to RU or TCNJ I'll put the difference in Clemson or Colorado tuition in a trust that will be yours upon graduation. Beauty don't make up for $$ especially if they're paying their own grad school and/or rent upon graduation.

Ssshhh if we say NJ is a great place to live and people want to live here and Rutgers is wonderful on a message board for Rutgers, the State University of NJ a lot of people get very upset. Those people of course, mostly in fact live in NJ.

We need to instead say "everyone" wants to move to Florida and go to Clemson, facts be damned.

You have to rationally evaluate her soccer skills and attempt to place her where he skills will fit on the team. Some of this will be done for you by her play and any travel teams she may be invited to play.

You must also question her on her DESIRE to play soccer in college. IT"s no picnic, not even for girls. HOW BAD DOES SHE WANT TO PLAY ? IF it's not a burning desire, then either shoot for lower quality programs or allow that she may play intermural or Soph club teams.

John's summer camp at USNA the coaches said they were going to "actively" recruit him to USNA.
When they explained what that meant, I told them that we were find and "recruiting is over with us.".

It was the ONLY college he applied for to attend. He was accepted to NAPS, then USNA and graduated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT