ADVERTISEMENT

I feel bad for

Jtung, my youngest nephew just came back from a visit from a bunch of southern schools, including Clemson. Yours truly is taking him on a tour of Rutgers and he also wants to visit State Penn. I am pretty sure he will get into all three. As much as I will try to cover everything with RU, he loved Clemson and I will be surprised if he doesn’t choose it. Rutgers isn’t for everyone and schools where the university is the whole town isn’t for everybody. Every kid is different—some want rural, weather matters to some, enrollment matters to some, school spirit, age of buildings, post school feeling of connectiveness, where do kids want to live after they graduate,etc. Heck, my brother went to a college in North Carolina with 1,200 students. What is great about colleges in America is that there is such a wide variety.

Reactions: irishflu92
@HeavenUniv.

agreed that it’s a personal choice for kids. My complaint is with the parents making unnecessary excuses. The biggest negative for Rutgers is that NJ is a small state. I understand kids want to get away. I picked RU over UNC to get out of the south.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Rutgers has always done a VERY poor job of getting the word out about what the university has to offer—everything from museum events, plays, The Rutgers Symphony, School rankings, awards for profs, sports, etc. A major reason for that is the FCC not doing their job in regards to the NINE MILLION people not having any TV stations to inform New Jerseyans about their State University. It is absurd that we don’t have any TV stations and Channel 9 should have had their license stripped. They and Channel 13 are NJ stations in name only.When I lived ten minutes from the University of South Carolina, every single night in the news on both TV stations and newspapers, there was coverage of something involving USC. I have been saying for years, Rutgers needs to get RU-TV and R Vision on every single cable outlet in the state from Sussex to Cape May. The state and Rutgers really dropped the ball having the new New Jersey Public TV end up at Montclair State instead of Rutgers.

Will, were you also recruited by Air Force and Navy ?
Manlius was a national school where everyone got recruited.
Head Coaches from many schools would show up. Navy, Army did not USAF. Colorado HC came to Manlius to offer me.

Middle of a typical Syracuse (Manlius is a burb of 'Cu se) 18 inch + snowstorm the loudspeaker says football team report to the meeting room at the gym. We show up and this guy introduces himself; "I'm Joe Blow the Head Coach at Pitt. I just happened to be driving nearby (yeah, right) and anyone that played first or second string raise your hand. I am offering full schoolies to Pitt for anyone with their hands up !"

2 guys took the offer.

Back in that day NOBODY BUT RUTGERS charged football players an Application fee to apply. There was always a stamp or something that signified free. I can still remember over 50 years later that RU wanted 40 bucks and a 500 word essay why I wanted or anyone wanted to go to RU. The LONG application was about 6 feet long, accordion right into the waste basket.

I can't recall anyone going to RU for football back then. Army (over 30 guys), Navy, Syracuse, Penn St, Pitt, BC, UNC, Duke, Arizona, Cornell, Harvard, Colgate, Norwich, RPI, Buffalo, are some that I can recall.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4IUSox2
Why? Can't they use a browser and find out that Rutgers will be open this Fall?
All I’m saying is what has been going on for the past year is being discussed.

To say it’s not a consideration on seeing how some schools handled it, are handling it and plan to handle it is just not true.

I agree with those who said parents are a factor. They seem to think Rutgers is beneath their kids. I’ve heard the comments, and it’s so odd because I know where the parents went to college, and these kids are picking schools that are no better than RU.

All the regular students that are going out of state for college in the next few years. Going to miss the rebirth of Rutgers football with 200K in debt

Buy stock now!!!!

Most of the lovely population of NJ could care less abut RU or its football team.

But we have seen, twice, in 1976 and 2006, what happens in this state when we win major basketball and football games. The attention the university and athletics get turns into a tsunami.

The evidence shows that the extra applications come from students who don't have the credentials to be admitted. Northwestern was an example the year they went to the Rose Bowl. So the additional applications are worthless to the school.
Actually extra applications, for whatever reason kids apply, are quite valuable to schools. More $$ that they get to make off of applications and more applications means a smaller percentage get admitted. That makes a school seem even more selective, which can help boost the school's reputation academically, which can help bring in even better students.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
The evidence shows that the extra applications come from students who don't have the credentials to be admitted. Northwestern was an example the year they went to the Rose Bowl. So the additional applications are worthless to the school. Students value other factors much more than athletics -- @West Point Knight is an example.

There is, for better or worse, no evidence that success in sports has much to do with academic prowess, or with donations to the academic side of the institution. None of the schools you mention are particularly good; Alabama is a step below Auburn (in the same state) and U. Georgia (in a neighboring state)

Well, the benefit to RU is a lower % of admitted students which helps in rankings.

Rutgers has always done a VERY poor job of getting the word out about what the university has to offer—everything from museum events, plays, The Rutgers Symphony, School rankings, awards for profs, sports, etc. A major reason for that is the FCC not doing their job in regards to the NINE MILLION people not having any TV stations to inform New Jerseyans about their State University. It is absurd that we don’t have any TV stations and Channel 9 should have had their license stripped. They and Channel 13 are NJ stations in name only.When I lived ten minutes from the University of South Carolina, every single night in the news on both TV stations and newspapers, there was coverage of something involving USC. I have been saying for years, Rutgers needs to get RU-TV and R Vision on every single cable outlet in the state from Sussex to Cape May. The state and Rutgers really dropped the ball having the new New Jersey Public TV end up at Montclair State instead of Rutgers.

This is the problem, I had friends who visited me at RU from other colleges and instantly regretted their selection because no one told them anything about RU.

All I’m saying is what has been going on for the past year is being discussed.

To say it’s not a consideration on seeing how some schools handled it, are handling it and plan to handle it is just not true.

That's probably a double edged sword. Especially since others have posted applications are up at RU.

A lot of parents probably like that RU is aligned with Cornell and Brown on the pandemic response rather than Clemson. And, a lot of parents, before and after COVID, are probably more concerned with academics.

Not take anything away from moms in the Shop Rite line that are just going to blow away the lady with the Karen haircut hearing that Jayden and Kayla are having a blast at Clemson, while the lady behind her whose kid at RU is studying for the MCAT or LSAT is rolling her eyes. That will always be there, pandemic or not, in big parts of NJ.

You'd think. But while I had doubts about people taking 3 seconds to Google things before, COVID cemented it.

People increasingly believe whatever they want. As others have said, there is a certain sector of the NJ public that didn't like RU to start off with. When you consider the flow of disinformation that led to that conclusion and combine with the disinformation around COVID, it's not hard to see where this comes from.

I would bet that, 10-20% of the NJ public would say Clemson was more prestigious than RU. And to be fair, they'd probably say it was more prestigious than any Northeastern public. The disinformation flow on how wonderful Southern state schools are in NJ is really something. Those schools found their cash cow in parents in this area who like you said, can't Google or don't want to.

Reactions: ldwnmas
I think many families are choosing Southern schools due to campus, current and future lifestyle, and weather. Most people in the Northeast only know about three very good public universities—UNC-Chapel Hill (unless you are an athlete lol), Florida, and Virginia.

That's probably a double edged sword. Especially since others have posted applications are up at RU.

A lot of parents probably like that RU is aligned with Cornell and Brown on the pandemic response rather than Clemson. And, a lot of parents, before and after COVID, are probably more concerned with academics.

Not take anything away from moms in the Shop Rite line that are just going to blow away the lady with the Karen haircut hearing that Jayden and Kayla are having a blast at Clemson, while the lady behind her whose kid at RU is studying for the MCAT or LSAT is rolling her eyes. That will always be there, pandemic or not, in big parts of NJ.

You'd think. But while I had doubts about people taking 3 seconds to Google things before, COVID cemented it.

People increasingly believe whatever they want. As others have said, there is a certain sector of the NJ public that didn't like RU to start off with. When you consider the flow of disinformation that led to that conclusion and combine with the disinformation around COVID, it's not hard to see where this comes from.

I would bet that, 10-20% of the NJ public would say Clemson was more prestigious than RU. And to be fair, they'd probably say it was more prestigious than any Northeastern public. The disinformation flow on how wonderful Southern state schools are in NJ is really something. Those schools found their cash cow in parents in this area who like you said, can't Google or don't want to.
Again, for the third time now...all I’m saving is that COVID-19 is now part of the conversation.

To think otherwise and that it’s not happening or being discussed is just wrong.

Reactions: vkj91
The evidence shows that the extra applications come from students who don't have the credentials to be admitted. Northwestern was an example the year they went to the Rose Bowl. So the additional applications are worthless to the school. Students value other factors much more than athletics -- @West Point Knight is an example.

There is, for better or worse, no evidence that success in sports has much to do with academic prowess, or with donations to the academic side of the institution. None of the schools you mention are particularly good; Alabama is a step below Auburn (in the same state) and U. Georgia (in a neighboring state)
This is true, as evinced by a mountain of peer-reviewed academic research (I spent a year of grad school researching this for a project and have combed through a great deal of this.) Basketball success has little to no effect in increasing the numbers of desirable applicants, and even the surge of overall applications is typically fleeting after a one-year surge to a Sweet 16 or Elite Eight.

This research does show some relationship between football and a quantifiable improvement in the quality of applicants, but it also shows that it only follows extremely high performance on the field over a very long period of time - like top-10 level teams over a decade. Even then, it's not of the needle-moving variety.

The reason the term "Flutie Factor" caught hold is because it is the one instance where there was an apparent correlation, and even then, Doug Flutie enjoyed his breakout year at a time when BC had already launched a massive capital campaign with the goal of raising their national academic profile. The timing his his athletic prominence was extremely fortuitous and helped fuel this ideology that universities have been chasing for the 35 years hence.

Reactions: Unionst
BC is set on a hill, there is limited space to add buildings and an active local community that FIGHTS tooth and nail with NIMBY for anything BC wants to enlarge or add on the campus.

Flutie had THE most definitive effect in football history for just ONE guy saving a University/college.

ND was saved by NAVY in WW 2 and that is why they remain on the ND schedule and always will.

Although a poster somewhere here likes to argue the point.

Maybe you and @camdenlawprof use the google and show us where Rutgers is open this year. Because paying to sit and watch lectures in a dorm isn’t exactly open. Especially since you need a vaccine to even do that.

I think many families are choosing Southern schools due to campus, current and future lifestyle, and weather. Most people in the Northeast only know about three very good public universities—UNC-Chapel Hill (unless you are an athlete lol), Florida, and Virginia.
I don’t think most people can name 3 good public universities in the NE.

Again, for the third time now...all I’m saving is that COVID-19 is now part of the conversation.

To think otherwise and that it’s not happening or being discussed is just wrong.

Of course, just not always cutting the way some are thinking.

Not everyone sits down with mom and dad and thinks, oh gee, such and such hot shot in town's kid is going to Clemson to get wasted, meanwhile Rutgers or many other schools may treat the pandemic seriously, so better go buy some orange. Now I'm sure in plenty of NJ quarters, sadly, that conversation will happen, especially among upper middle class families that those on this board are familiar with. But it's not the prevalent mode of thought.

I grew up in wealthy area, and even there, wasteful parents- and there were not a tremendous amount- stuck to the greatest Shop Rite line hits- Delaware and the Cult were the biggies. At least those two, you can say they have a lot of alums in the area who will hire their own and the schools definitely have a better reputation than Clemson.

A lot of NJ parents will be thinking about the best bang for the buck and/or taking COVID seriously, and RU gets an A+ in both categories. And, if anyone really thinks the partying at RU, COVID or not, pales in comparison with down there, that is their loss and just not true either.

Maybe you and @camdenlawprof use the google and show us where Rutgers is open this year. Because paying to sit and watch lectures in a dorm isn’t exactly open. Especially since you need a vaccine to even do that.

“I want to see a busy campus,” Holloway said. “I want to see lines at restaurants. I want to see people in classrooms ... We’ll be something close to but not really quite there yet.”

Literally the first article on Google, also mentions dorms, classrooms, clubs open.

Reactions: Greg2020
My hope is that the immediate result of Rutgers improving in football is engaging the CURRENT students. My son, a sophomore in the School of Engineering, was really disappointed in the lack of interest when he arrived on campus for the 2019 season. Couldn't find anyone in his dorm (on Busch Campus!) that even wanted to go to the games. The UMass game was during move in weekend and the RAs scheduled competing dorm activities. The Ash Effect in full bloom.
That is a WILD move by those RAs.. surprised nobody caught wind of it and forced a reschedule/cancellation.. not allowing incoming freshman to go to games is like begging to have a bad game atmosphere

That is a WILD move by those RAs.. surprised nobody caught wind of it and forced a reschedule/cancellation.. not allowing incoming freshman to go to games is like begging to have a bad game atmosphere

They were allowed to go, they just didn't encourage them or plan any group attendance. Had some optional game night stuff in the dorm lounge.

Reactions: anon_yoo6z3typpaw2
Totally disagree that when applications surge after athletic success that the additional students are not higher level students. I know that for a fact from Villanova and Clemson. First nephew went to Villanova. Second nephew had friends who applied to VU who had better grades and SATs to VU and couldn’t get in. When I lived in South Carolina in the 90s, a hamster could have been admitted to Clemson. Second nephew applied to Clemson a few years ago and was put on the wait list. Highest number of applicants in school history. He was admitted to Rutgers, State Penn, UMass, TCNJ, Lehigh, and Lafayette, and Florida. He ended up picking UF.
I would imagine it depends on the year too. Some years schools take a higher % of kids from a state or region than others. My graduation year Maryland happened to be easier to get into and Delaware was harder. The year prior they were inverted.

“I want to see a busy campus,” Holloway said. “I want to see lines at restaurants. I want to see people in classrooms ... We’ll be something close to but not really quite there yet.”

Literally the first article on Google, also mentions dorms, classrooms, clubs open.

He wants to see those things. He hopes to see those things. He thinks they are close to those things. But close ain’t there. What we do know is we won’t have large lectures We also know he’s letting less spectators at games than the law allows. Again, that ain’t open

If my youngest nephew ends up at Clemson, it sure isn’t because he is a partier. lol Unless you count Root Beer.

He wants to see those things. He hopes to see those things. He thinks they are close to those things. But close ain’t there. What we do know is we won’t have large lectures We also know he’s letting less spectators at games than the law allows. Again, that ain’t open

Anyone who is saying they know what September will look like, college or otherwise, is foolish.

The bottom line is RU will be open if things continue on a positive trajectory. Saying 100% open no matter is just ignorant- any college pushing that, and I struggle to believe any are unless forced politically, is not worth the tuition.

I never drank alcohol and even I went to one high school party, which is one more than him.

Anyone who is saying they know what September will look like, college or otherwise, is foolish.

The bottom line is RU will be open if things continue on a positive trajectory. Saying 100% open no matter is just ignorant- any college pushing that, and I struggle to believe any are unless forced politically, is not worth the tuition.
Sure. Wanna grab a beer at RU baseball game? Oh that’s right......

Reactions: Local Shill
No they don’t. Maybe when you get a job you can afford premium.

Men’s Lacrosse

Tickets to men’s lacrosse games are available for purchase online via ScarletKnights.com/Tickets. Fans are required to register for parking via the following LINK when attending games at SHI Stadium.

Why pay to own, when I can keeping owning you for free? I mean I felt bad before, even tried to let you win arguments here and there so one day you could feel as smart as me but since November I could almost feel bad how much my domination has increased.

Glad everyone can see how wrong you are. Again.

For some here, as long as Mom/Dad are paying, life is premium.

or

New brand comes along; Michelob came out, the 16 oz tall was .05 Cents more than regular Bud. It was a financial decision when you had $ 5 bucks in your pocket.

Reactions: mikershoein
Men’s Lacrosse

Tickets to men’s lacrosse games are available for purchase online via ScarletKnights.com/Tickets. Fans are required to register for parking via the following LINK when attending games at SHI Stadium.

Why pay to own, when I can keeping owning you for free? I mean I felt bad before, even tried to let you win arguments here and there so one day you could feel as smart as me but since November I could almost feel bad how much my domination has increased.

Glad everyone can see how wrong you are. Again.
You know baseball and lax are two different games right? It’s got to be embarrassing to be you. You try to be so clever and snarky but then you are wrong. Again. And again. And again.

You know baseball and lax are two different games right? It’s got to be embarrassing to be you. You try to be so clever and snarky but then you are wrong. Again. And again. And again.

LOL. I forgot which sport you and the others furious about everything reopening were pretending to care about in this thread.

Of course, on that same website, it says clearly that there is attendance for baseball but it's capped.

And of course, all the others who pretend they cared about sports other than football and basketball haven't gone to any of the games for any of them.

All it was was trying to make a failed point on a message board...and even that...failed.

LOL. I forgot which sport you and the others furious about everything reopening were pretending to care about in this thread.

Of course, on that same website, it says clearly that there is attendance for baseball but it's capped.

And of course, all the others who pretend they cared about sports other than football and basketball haven't gone to any of the games for any of them.

All it was was trying to make a failed point on a message board...and even that...failed.
Lol. You were wrong. Just admit it for once. I mean, you should be used to it by now. Yes, you forgot what sport I was taking about. I mean you only quoted the post. And again. If you could afford premium l, you would know the mods posted an article specifically about no attendance at baseball games.
Just admit it. Come on. You can do it.

Lol. You were wrong. Just admit it for once. I mean, you should be used to it by now. Yes, you forgot what sport I was taking about. I mean you only quoted the post. And again. If you could afford premium l, you would know the mods posted an article specifically about no attendance at baseball games.
Just admit it. Come on. You can do it.

Except...there IS attendance at baseball games. Parents can attend. Again, if you just read the link you will see you were wrong.

After having to change the argument about how COVID will affect the fall...we're now on spring attendance..for baseball...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT