ADVERTISEMENT

I have NEVER seen our fan base so ready to abandon our program

Whitebus

I started this post...wasn’t anything but civil...and I never called out anyone else

All I said it was is simply obvious. That a LOT of loyal sons are really at their last straw right now specifically because the lack of inatutional commitment our school has into its athletic department, and here...Rutgers football ...and if the school doesn’t show it cares RIGHT now ...the consequences are gojng to be large

That’s how I read it. At this point any RU fan still going or involved is obviously dedicated. I respect any RU fan who will continue to pony up good money to suffer through the constant disappointment. It takes a special person to be a loyal son of this program.

However too much else going on in my life to sit throughout the constant misery. Just not sure I can sit through this for another season only to hear this guy lecture me about 10 year rebuilds, humidity and gap control. I’ve had it. We deserve better. Our kids who committed deserve better. Schiano may have had his faults but the dude had a pulse.

Whitebus

I started this post...wasn’t anything but civil...and I never called out anyone else

All I said it was is simply obvious. That a LOT of loyal sons are really at their last straw right now specifically because the lack of inatutional commitment our school has into its athletic department, and here...Rutgers football ...and if the school doesn’t show it cares RIGHT now ...the consequences are gojng to be large
Fair enough

Sadly the hints were there at the beginning of Ash's tenure:

1 - The disaster of a decision to stay on at OSU for a meaningless bowl game
2 - The aloofness and blame others game that Ash excels at.
3 - 78-0 Michigan
4 - Eastern Michigan

5. Getting blown out by the guy you are replacing (Arkansas, 2013).

Never felt good about this hire. Although with his work ethic I thought he could stumbled along, but he shot himself too many times in the foot -- wrong QB, wrong OC, gaps in recruiting. Just think how this program would look if he found his OC and QB in year #1 instead of #3. Maybe we can have student try outs for the D line to add a little depth. Any of you former players with more eligibility?

Last edited:
Reactions: RUskoolie
Hobbs needs to put his ego aside and gauge Schiano's interest. He's one of the few that would immediately put butts in the seats and generate donor dollars for a buy out. Given his history of doing it before, Schiano would also have a very long leash from the fanbase.

Hobbs needs to put his ego aside and gauge Schiano's interest. He's one of the few that would immediately put butts in the seats and generate donor dollars for a buy out. Given his history of doing it before, Schiano would also have a very long leash from the fanbase.

This is true.

And Rutgers people will at least get behind Greg and have confidence that a rebuild is more possible and that has a lot of capital with a fan base that has been living patience for the better part of 40 years since becoming a 1A program

Been around for over 50 years. The ebb and flow of the athletic programs pretty much have dictated a definite low bar expectation in RU.
I think we are like a person struggling in poor health that has some rare high notes followed by a general malaise most of the time. Eventually, the patient just gets tired of it and drifts away.
We all finally got what we wanted by getting into a real conference. What we didn't realize was how tough it was really going to be.

This is true.

And Rutgers people will at least get behind Greg and have confidence that a rebuild is more possible and that has a lot of capital with a fan base that has been living patience for the better part of 40 years since becoming a 1A program
People have posted some very interesting options with some of the young offensive coaches that are out there, but any of those relatively unknown (at least in this area) new coaches is going to need to a few years of success to start undoing what has happened to our recruiting in the last 6 years.

Schiano, on the other hand, would almost instantly erase much of that recruiting decline because he isn't selling he can make RU a fun place to play at, he can can sell that he will make RU a fun place to play at AGAIN.

Little to no hope. If Ash were in Year 3 of his original 5 year contract, then we could see the dead man walking and understand he's getting sh*tcanned at the end of this dreadful season, or maybe kept around one more year, just so Hobbs could point out he gave his coach 4 years to bring in his guys and his system before declaring it over.

Ash just got his contract extended. As did Barchi. Two people at the center of this debacle are getting rewarded for their efforts. And I don't see Hobbs getting heat except from the fanbase.

"Rutgers, maybe it isn't you, it is me."

Reactions: Knightmoves
Been around for over 50 years. The ebb and flow of the athletic programs pretty much have dictated a definite low bar expectation in RU.
I think we are like a person struggling in poor health that has some rare high notes followed by a general malaise most of the time. Eventually, the patient just gets tired of it and drifts away.
We all finally got what we wanted by getting into a real conference. What we didn't realize was how tough it was really going to be.
The frustrating thing to some of us is that we understood how tough a road ever getting to the top of the B1G was going to be, but believed we were going to surprise doubters who didn't think we were going to be competitive with the middle of the conference, only to be embarrassed because (thanks to bad RU decisions) at this point we can't even compete with the bottom of the conference.

30 years for me. I share many of the same thoughts expressed here, as do the members of our group. From my perspective, another aspect that makes the present state of affairs so disappointing is my own expectations. I thought with Mulchahy/Greg, that finally the administration realized the commitment necessary to succeed at big time football, and that the days of being a doormat were over. Thought RU's entry into BIG would help recruiting. Thought after last season's 3 BIG wins RU was trending in right direction. For none of this to pan out, and for RU to back being a Shea-like joke, is very dispiriting. The season ticket sales WILL nosedive if Hobbs keeps Ash.

The frustrating thing to some of us is that we understood how tough a road ever getting to the top of the B1G was going to be, but believed we were going to surprise doubters who didn't think we were going to be competitive with the middle of the conference, only to be embarrassed because (thanks to bad RU decisions) at this point we can't even compete with the bottom of the conference.

To me this is what hurts the most. And I'm not one who is delusional about what we actually accomplished under Schiano. We had one really good team on the national level in 2006 and the rest of the time we were a solid but not great mid-major level program. Still, I felt we'd be able to come in and routinely beat the likes of Indiana, Illinois, Maryland and Purdue and be a tough out at home vs. the likes of Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern, even Michigan State and Nebraska.

Outside of 2014, it just hasn't worked out this way. I remember we all scoffed when Francesa said Michigan would beat us by 80. And then we went out and beat them in our first meeting and made him look stupid. But not for long...as two years later they nearly beat us by 80. Literally. And Michigan isn't even the same program they were 20+ years ago. They are good but far from elite.

While I never want to settle for mediocrity, I understand our place in the CFB universe and we are never going to consistently challenge for B1G titles year after year in football in my lifetime (and I'm only 39). But I think we should be competitive with our "peer" schools and the fact we are getting our doors blown off by them in "year 3" of this head coach's regime is flat out embarrassing.

Hobbs whiffed on this hire. It's ok Pat...acknowledge it, own it and try to fix it. But do your homework this time around because if the next guy is a dud, we may officially reach the proverbial point of no return.

Last edited:
To me this is what hurts the most. And I'm not one who is delusional about what we actually accomplished under Schiano. We had one really good team on the national level in 2006 and the rest of the time we were a solid but not great mid-major level program. Still, I felt we'd be able to come in and routinely beat the likes of Indiana, Illinois, Maryland and Purdue and be a tough out at home vs. the likes of Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern, even Michigan State and Nebraska.

Outside of 2014, it just hasn't worked out this way. I remember we all scoffed when Francesa said Michigan would beat us by 80. And then we went out and beat them in our first meeting and made him look stupid. But not for long...as two years later they nearly beat us by 80. Literally. And Michigan isn't even the same program they were 20+ years ago. They are good but far from elite.

While I never want to settle for mediocrity, I understand our place in the CFB universe and we are never going to consistently challenge for B1G titles year after year in football in my lifetime (and I'm only 39). But I think we should be competitive with our "peer" schools and the fact that we are not only not doing that but having our doors blown off by them in "year 3" of this head coach's regime is flat out embarrassing.

Hobbs whiffed on this hire. It's ok Pat...acknowledge it, own it and try to fix it. But do your homework this time around because if the next guy is a dud, we may officially reach the proverbial point of no return.
Great post, especially the last paragraph. I hold out the very slightest (like, really, really, really, really (really?)) of hopes that Ash has a 1 and 10 million chance of turning this around. But the donor and fan apathy is at a fever pitch, and those chances are too minimal to keep him on. Too many people calling for Hobbs' head, before seeing what he will do with Ash. Remember, he fired Eddie Jordan. But this is his hire, and it will indeed be more difficult for him to make a decision to fire.
On the next hire, we need to cast a wider net. Not sure how large the pool of candidates was and who was in that pool. In a hindsight analysis, many can point to warning signs about Ash, but other than a vocal few, everyone seemed to be on board with the hire and that he would fix the defense.
Next hire HAS to be a coach who has previous head coaching experience.

Great post, especially the last paragraph. I hold out the very slightest (like, really, really, really, really (really?)) of hopes that Ash has a 1 and 10 million chance of turning this around. But the donor and fan apathy is at a fever pitch, and those chances are too minimal to keep him on. Too many people calling for Hobbs' head, before seeing what he will do with Ash. Remember, he fired Eddie Jordan. But this is his hire, and it will indeed be more difficult for him to make a decision to fire.
On the next hire, we need to cast a wider net. Not sure how large the pool of candidates was and who was in that pool. In a hindsight analysis, many can point to warning signs about Ash, but other than a vocal few, everyone seemed to be on board with the hire and that he would fix the defense.
Next hire HAS to be a coach who has previous head coaching experience.
I said it was too big of a job for first timers to turn around..should have hired Fleck or Narduzzi if Hobbs didnt want Schiano then(go read old post).You always get what you pay for.
Strap them on Patt..go get Schiano..bring him home.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
I have no problem with people that want to go down with the ship.

I have no problem with people looking for better things to do with there entertainment money and more importantly their time.

I do have a huge problem with either side calling the other out. Please stop proclaiming that you are a better fan either way. Many of us have been going through this before most were born.

Respect the decision of either viewpoint.

Threads like this are unnecessary.

WB, I liked your post in the other thread as I agree with what you are saying. It's a solid position. But I also have to say I don't see a lot of that happening and I agree with others that I didn't see what you saw in Shack's post. I don't think he meant "abandon" in a negative/judgmental way not trying to boast. I've read PLENTY of those but I didn't take it that way. Just my opinion.

Don't remind me of Washington game, I was there. Have family out there and went to the game.
I live out there and also attended the game. Along with the humiliating defeat, I had to endure their pompous fans for what seemed like an eternity.

Everyone is at each other's throats too.

Relax fellas - This Is Rutgers Football. Embrace it because this is it.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Why does everyone think it is Hobbs, we have heard people on this board state that Schiano has said he has no interest in coming back.

WB, I liked your post in the other thread as I agree with what you are saying. It's a solid position. But I also have to say I don't see a lot of that happening and I agree with others that I didn't see what you saw in Shack's post. I don't think he meant "abandon" in a negative/judgmental way not trying to boast. I've read PLENTY of those but I didn't take it that way. Just my opinion.
I see his point. And he responded earlier. Have no problem with the OP

i have been gojng to Rutgers football and Rutgers basketball games as a season ticket holder for now over 40 years. I have 8 season tickets for football and 4 for basketball and my contribution to Rutgers is now close to five digits a year

So I’m a pretty damn good customer

More importantly... I’m an avid fan, and loyal son.

I grew up on Rutgers sports and I now take my sons to all the games. They are growing up on Rutgers.

And I have seen and sweated the past and know it all.

And I can tell you...that in 40 plus years...I have NEVER questioned why I am a Rutgers fan. Never. Not during Terry shea. Not during Craig Littlepage. Not having to wait 27 years for a bowl bid (I was at the garden state bowl). Now waiting almost 30 year for a NCAA bid

But I am now. We have blown all the benefits of the entrance to the big ten. The opportunity of all opportunities for this school athletic department.

And our school is at a threshold ...where thousands of fans are, at once, ready to give up on this program for good.

While I’m not there ...a lot of people who have been loyal fans for decades are there.

I know all the people around me in 105 for football. And almost none were there on Saturday. They don’t care ...and because the school doesn’t. And this is 105. Bigger donor territory and the loyal of the loyal.

I am telling you...if we don’t make a coaching change ...and make a change that we hire someone that will unite and rally this school fans for a long term build...then I bet we may be looking at a TEN thousand season ticket loss after this year. I am NOT kidding.

Criticize me for saying I’m over exaggerating ...but I don’t think so. I know the good fans that are staying away

It’s up to this school for once to make the real commitment to this program ...and it starts with not just firing the existing coach. Firing Chris ash, a nice man who is way over his head is only ONE step

This school must also hire a REAL coach and staff that will unite the fans of this program and have them on board for a build that isn’t going to be easy or short

Otherwise ...our fan base is going to exit and stay away like it never has before...and it will take a lot to get then all back.

It’s gojng to be easier to keep who is here by doing whatever needs to be done now in economic cost then to try to sell them on returning

Your move, Mr Hobbs, Mr Barchi and the Rutgers BOG

Great post. Problem is only one guy from your list of three at the bottom cares. And he works for the other two so... Welcome to Rutgers Football.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
5. Getting blown out by the guy you are replacing (Arkansas, 2013).

Never felt good about this hire. Although with his work ethic I thought he could stumbled along, but he shot himself too many times in the foot -- wrong QB, wrong OC, gaps in recruiting. Just think how this program would look if he found his OC and QB in year #1 instead of #3. Maybe we can have student try outs for the D line to add a little depth. Any of you former players with more eligibility?

Huh? While both Arkansas wins were thrilling, neither was a blowout. Both were by one score.

I was pissed how Greg left but not that he left. I thought he hit his mark and we could build off of it. I didn't want Gary back. We blew it of course and continue to do so. But now, short of finding, convincing, and paying a MAJOR name to come here I believe he is the only answer.

You have to go back to Flood's tailspin...that set the tone...we were promised something that we didnt get when he was canned. He has turned out worse than Elmer on the field and in recruiting. But I agree with you, I am sort of surprised how quickly people bailed this year and that the attendance numbers even surprise me. I think its a case of no hope. There is literally no playmakers on this team and its not like there are guys down the pipeline. Art may be good eventually but the defense is simply awful and this is an offense that cannot work with a freshmen qb. The team is a literal train wreck. You cannot follow up an embarrassment to Kansas but getting waxed by Buffalo.

Chris Ash must be fired. Next year will get really bad and it will look like year 2 of Eddie

I think too, folks are tired of waiting for the next semi-successful team. We had a taste with Schiano, we were promised a bright future and then we quickly descended into the Shea years again. And I think one very big reason there is no hope is that Barchi and the BOG don't care.

Last edited:
Football is too expensive, and has too much attendance rigamarole for teams to be so insipid every year. How many blowouts can people sit through? RU tasted success so its even harder to go back to the past follies.

I think RU did make a try to do things right after firing Flood. On paper, the hiring of Meyer's championship DC with B1G stain made sense. I'm sure Ash is a good football guy and hard worker but he's not recruiting and developing the way he should. Year three should show something but its not. With the new ease of transferring, I wouldn't be surprised to read Sit left for better scene. On defense you can get away with "athletes" but offense needs a little more cultivation and I dont see it with this crew. The Fordham team that was good a few years ago (beat Temple and Army ) would be blowing RU up.

or Blackshear (shudder)

Why does everyone think it is Hobbs, we have heard people on this board state that Schiano has said he has no interest in coming bac.

Plus the odds of Schiano doing a good job the second time around are slim. Bill Snyder hasn't been as successful his second time around at KSU. Neither has Petrino at Louisville compared to what he did in 2005 and 2006. Johnny Majors' second stint at Pitt was mediocre at best. In the pro ranks even HOF coach Joe Gibbs struggled in his second stint with the Redskins and that guy is one of the best coaches of his era.

Schiano knows this and I think that's why he commented that he had no desire to come back when he had other options. Now after the Tennessee debacle? He's as desperate as we are. But that doesn't make him the best fit. He has pseudo God-like status around here now. Imagine he came back and flopped? His legacy would be zero. Now at least he can say "hey, RU was only decent playing big time schedules when I was there".

Last edited:
You know that I hung on to the bitter end with Flood--until the botched meeting with the Dance Appreciation TA surfaced. I generally stand by who the administration supports.

But I can't say I support Ash. I am hanging by a thread, but ready to bail. I will obligatorily renew my tickets for next year. But as far as athletics donations beyond our B1G Build commitment, we are done. We have been talking about shifting donations to academics anyway. Money that would be much better spent than what we are seeing on the field now.

I never felt this way under Flood, even after the scandal broke. At least Flood's game day coaching, while subpar, was not the total incompetence we have seen the last 3 seasons. Even in his last year when things were really unraveling, his worst loss was 49-7 to Ohio State. Chris Ash lost to Kansas by nearly the same margin.

Academics??!! You might want to rethink that. LOL. Have you seen or heard of some of the "professors" "teaching" at Rutgers?

Why does everyone think it is Hobbs, we have heard people on this board state that Schiano has said he has no interest in coming back.
Good question. You can fairly easily find an article or articles around the time of the Flood firing that stated that sources said that the first order of business was to gauge Schiano's interest and that, ultimately, he was not interested in coming back at that time.

Now, that may be wrong, or even if right things may have changed with the Tenn debacle, but I'm wondering what support exists that Hobbs or Greg Brown did not approach Schiano last time?

I think this is the major difference between now and the Shea Era. Rutgers is doing precisely what we all feared and many predicted we would wind up doing...taking the cash and not seriously investing back into sports.

First let me say that while not a basketball fan anymore (I just hate the sport, nothing to do with Rutgers), I think that men's hoops has the right guy leading it and in another year or two we will enjoy the most success we've seen since the 70's and early 80's. But I think schools like Gonzaga and Butler have proven that conference affiliation really doesn't mean as much when it comes to building a basketball power. That said, being in the B1G certainly has boosted the profile of our wrestling program as they are well on their way to possibly becoming a national power. Women's soccer is also thriving on a national level. And our "Olympic sports" programs have a golden opportunity to eventually do special things that wouldn't otherwise be possible if we were still affiliated with the Big East or AAC.

The elephant in the room is football.You simply cannot hide being bad in football, especially when you play in one of the top two college football conferences in the land. It is as much your identity and brand as academics are (sorry Bob Barchi but this is true). I have women I work with who don't know the first thing about sports or college football but they know that Rutgers is terrible in football. No offense to the basketball folks on here but when Eddie Jordan was losing by 70 to Louisville no one outside of Rutgers or at most the college basketball world really knew or cared. But football is a different animal. A friend's son is looking at colleges and loves everything about Rutgers (and his parents love the cost) except how lousy we are in football. I think he's leaning towards going to Michigan State or Penn State.

You cannot compete in this conference being poorly managed when it comes to football and we have been for decades. We got lucky with Schiano but let's face it, in the grand scheme of things his moderate success was a mere blip on the radar and what he did build has now been burned to rubble. Ash looked good on paper but can the administration honestly say they did their due diligence when they hired this guy? I seem to remember the process being over very quickly and was kind of closed door as opposed to when Greg was hired (https://www.onthebanks.com/2008/11/20/the-longest-november).

Bottom line, a change needs to be made ASAP. If the administration chooses to kick the can down the road for the next 12-14 months people will move on, and possibly never come back. When it comes to sports, I'm a college football fan first and a Rutgers alum second and it would take a serious commitment by Rutgers to change this. So I am already taking road trips this fall in lieu of using my RU season tickets (just got back from Miami and going to South Bend in November). If a change is not made, next year I plan on using the money I'd put toward season tickets toward more road venues where people actually care about college football.

Don't be stupid Rutgers, you still have a chance to right this ship. You can make this a place where college football is a big deal. But the clock is ticking.

I believe this same bolded comment was posted 25 years ago.

I think one thing that is easy to overlook when discussing ticket sales (and the expected losses) is how much better the TV viewing experience is for a Rutgers fan since we have joined the B1G. When I first got season tickets in 1992 many games were only on radio, now all of them are broadcast in HD.

I totally get why people who have good tailgates would keep going to a game just for that reason. As I have gotten older and my tailgate group has been scattered by the normal things that happen in life, the game itself has to make it worth the trip from PA for me. And, things like being able (watching on TV) to switch away from the 4th quarter of the Illinois game and catch the great ending of Okla-Texas really start making me question again why I even bother getting tickets.

Rutgers runs the risk that some of these people who think they are temporarily cutting back their season tickets decide they don't want to come back even if we start getting better on the field.

I think the only thread keeping me connected to getting season tickets is the priority points I have for longevity (but I will get fewer).

Once you get out of the tailgate lifestyle it's real hard to get back into for the reasons you mentioned.

Doesn’t help when Barchi put everyone on notice when notified of the BIG invite he has no desire to be tOSU or UM. Even though that hill is almost impossible to climb requiring significant political, structural, and fiscal alignment - those schools are the gold standard demonstrating they symbiotic relationship between athletics and academics.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I believe this same bolded comment was posted 25 years ago.

Ha. I think most of us can sense this. Hence why this thread exists. I'd love to be proven wrong but I'm not holding my breath.

For the record, talking to Miami fans this weekend they feel their president is holding them back too. They feel Richt, while the best coach they've had since Butch Davis, is just going to do what he did at UGA and not get them over the hump. They feel that their administration is not interested in them ever becoming "The U" as we knew it again.

Doesn’t help when Barchi put everyone on notice when notified of the BIG invite he has no desire to be tOSU or UM. Even though that hill is almost impossible to climb requiring significant political, structural, and fiscal alignment - those schools are the gold standard demonstrating they symbiotic relationship between athletics and academics.

Michigan might be. OSU, while a good school, has been SEC north since Tressel got there.

Ha. I think most of us can sense this. Hence why this thread exists. I'd love to be proven wrong but I'm not holding my breath.

For the record, talking to Miami fans this weekend they feel their president is holding them back too. They feel Richt, while the best coach they've had since Butch Davis, is just going to do what he did at UGA and not get them over the hump. They feel that their administration is not interested in them ever becoming "The U" as we knew it again.

I'm having a hard time feeling bad for "The U" and their more than one win this year and their history. LOL

Reactions: BoogieKnight
Good question. You can fairly easily find an article or articles around the time of the Flood firing that stated that sources said that the first order of business was to gauge Schiano's interest and that, ultimately, he was not interested in coming back at that time.

Now, that may be wrong, or even if right things may have changed with the Tenn debacle, but I'm wondering what support exists that Hobbs or Greg Brown did not approach Schiano last time?
schiano went another direction because he was turned off by HOBBS ATTITUDE.

It's a little silly to say the school hasn't shown it cares. It has sunk tons of money into the football program and hired what would seem to be a legitimate choice for head coach three years ago.

The biggest problem is the outside perception of financials around the program. We already have the largest athletic subsidy in the country or close to it. So the average joe is saying “how can you say you’ve been hiring on the cheap, look at all this money being spent on football, etc”.

The admin is kind of screwed here. If they keep ash, they will see a revolt from the fan base. If they fire ash, they need to be prepared for an avalanche of negative press about the deficit, etc

Reactions: Wolv RU
Schiano went another direction because he was turned off by HOBBS ATTITUDE.

And, again, how do we know that? Your belief? The articles that at least I recall (and I confess that it's a long time ago) suggested only that Schiano wasn't interested.

That’s how I read it. At this point any RU fan still going or involved is obviously dedicated. I respect any RU fan who will continue to pony up good money to suffer through the constant disappointment. It takes a special person to be a loyal son of this program.

However too much else going on in my life to sit throughout the constant misery. Just not sure I can sit through this for another season only to hear this guy lecture me about 10 year rebuilds, humidity and gap control. I’ve had it. We deserve better. Our kids who committed deserve better. Schiano may have had his faults but the dude had a pulse.

Correction..it's gap integrity

ADVERTISEMENT