ADVERTISEMENT

I have NEVER seen our fan base so ready to abandon our program

The biggest problem is the outside perception of financials around the program. We already have the largest athletic subsidy in the country or close to it. So the average joe is saying “how can you say you’ve been hiring on the cheap, look at all this money being spent on football, etc”.

The admin is kind of screwed here. If they keep ash, they will see a revolt from the fan base. If they fire ash, they need to be prepared for an avalanche of negative press about the deficit, etc
You know I came across this a little while ago it's a couple articles from April 2017 but covers the 2015-16 fiscal year showing the profits/revenues/expenses of all the B10 football/basketball programs.

Football had a profit of 3.4M and basketball a loss (the only B10 program with a loss) of 670K. Purdue is actually worse with a profit of 1.8M for football. Maryland is the 3rd lowest at about 9M and it just goes up from there. Mind you even though our profit was 2nd lowest, we're not the lowest spenders we're 9th overall in spending on the program. Our revenues are 2nd lowest though although I'd think that will go up as we get a larger share of the B10 pie in the coming years.

https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...-big-ten-football-revenue-expenses/100172108/

https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...xpenses-where-purdue-ranks-big-ten/100331366/

It’s up to this school for once to make the real commitment to this program ...and it starts with not just firing the existing coach. Firing Chris ash, a nice man who is way over his head is only ONE step

This school must also hire a REAL coach and staff that will unite the fans of this program and have them on board for a build that isn’t going to be easy or short

It's so easy to type stuff like this, bolded above.... of course everyone wants a "REAL" coach. How about instead of just typing it, come up with some examples, realistic examples, of a "REAL" coach.

We all want the same thing. A winning RU Football program, but just saying we need a REAL coach without examples or a list of candidates seems silly. We've been saying the same stuff for years.

Plus the odds of Schiano doing a good job the second time around are slim. Bill Snyder hasn't been as successful his second time around at KSU. Neither has Petrino at Louisville compared to what he did in 2005 and 2006. Johnny Majors' second stint at Pitt was mediocre at best. In the pro ranks even HOF coach Joe Gibbs struggled in his second stint with the Redskins and that guy is one of the best coaches of his era.

Schiano knows this and I think that's why he commented that he had no desire to come back when he had other options. Now after the Tennessee debacle? He's as desperate as we are. But that doesn't make him the best fit. He has pseudo God-like status around here now. Imagine he came back and flopped? His legacy would be zero. Now at least he can say "hey, RU was only decent playing big time schedules when I was there".

One big difference is having the B1G at his back. Other than perhaps Utah, no one else had such a win in the realignment lottery. So he's not walking back into the same situation exactly.

I never thought I would be apathetic towards an RU sport, particularly football. I'm away in November on vacation. My plan all along has been to return on Friday night to go to the Saturday RU game. Well, booked my flight back and decided to stay to Sunday and skip the RU game. Never would have crossed my mind to do so before this.

IMO recruits want to see some chance of getting a look from the NFL. McNulty has a lot of NFL experience and helped develop RU guys to make it to the league. He has already had some success developing Sit. I wouldn't mind him being an interim HC while Hobbs sorts out his longer term coaching options.

You know I came across this a little while ago it's a couple articles from April 2017 but covers the 2015-16 fiscal year showing the profits/revenues/expenses of all the B10 football/basketball programs.

Football had a profit of 3.4M and basketball a loss (the only B10 program with a loss) of 670K. Purdue is actually worse with a profit of 1.8M for football. Maryland is the 3rd lowest at about 9M and it just goes up from there. Mind you even though our profit was 2nd lowest, we're not the lowest spenders we're 9th overall in spending on the program. Our revenues are 2nd lowest though although I'd think that will go up as we get a larger share of the B10 pie in the coming years.

https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...-big-ten-football-revenue-expenses/100172108/

https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...xpenses-where-purdue-ranks-big-ten/100331366/

Indeed football made a profit in that fiscal year. Here is the latest report- 8 mil deficit for football.

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...ootball_lost_money_in_2016_season_a_look.html

The other disconnect I think between the admin and the fans- fans think we’re paying 6 mil for a coach when we get full big ten money. Admin thinks we’re using that money to erase the deficit. What actually happens i don’t know.

It sunk money to expand and it paid off.. BIG invite. Thats worth the investment- wouldnt you agree?

Since then, we hired and kept Flood way too long. We then made a surface hire with Ash (supposed good pedigree) but then armed him with a tiny assistant coach pool.

This is not the full picture. Under Barchi, Rutgers has invested more into its athletics program than any other school. It does not have an "investment problem" or even really a spending problem, it has a revenue problem that is now going to somehow get worse even with a lot more conference revenue coming in. Now, with Ash's huge contract guarantee, it has a spending money wisely problem too.

I still think its because Flood left everything bare for Ash.. We had no talent left, he clearly can't recruit either, and all the losses with the CC things surely dont bode well for an already bare roster.

Again, this excuse works somewhat for not being competitive at the top of the division. There was plenty left, and more than enough resources to compete with / remain ahead of Kansas, Buffalo, Eastern Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, and Maryland. That is why people are so upset and it is all on Ash.

Barchi says spending isn't going up - subsidy from the school is going down. Or so I've heard around here.

This is not the full picture. Under Barchi, Rutgers has invested more into its athletics program than any other school. It does not have an "investment problem" or even really a spending problem, it has a revenue problem that is now going to somehow get worse even with a lot more conference revenue coming in. Now, with Ash's huge contract guarantee, it has a spending money wisely problem too.
Where are you getting that Rutgers invested more than any other school? Sounds like complete bullcrap to me.

Reactions: winfield102
IMO recruits want to see some chance of getting a look from the NFL. McNulty has a lot of NFL experience and helped develop RU guys to make it to the league. He has already had some success developing Sit. I wouldn't mind him being an interim HC while Hobbs sorts out his longer term coaching options.

Recruits also don't want to see their friends laughing at them on social media when they or their team loses to Buffalo. You don't have to be a great team to recruit but you have to not be terrible. We are terrible right now.

The sad reality is what do I really have to show for 40 years of support? One shared conf championship that we backed into and did not get to a major bowl. Other crumbs like an International Bowl or a Birmingham Bowl. Our best season in recent memory only resulted in a Texas Bowl.

I do not think it is too much to ask for just one championship season for 40 years of support. Illinois, Purdue and Northwestern have all made Rose Bowls in that span. I have tampered down my expectations from a conf championship to maybe a 9 or 10 win season and a New Years Bowl. Under Ash, that seems impossible.

We had 12 unused tickets for Illinois. 12 when it was uncommon to have 1 or 2. The program is dying. It is bleeding out, hemorrhaging fans and without hope for improvement under this regime. I dread the November games when RU fans will a minority of those in attendance.

Someone better be taking a long term look at the health of this program and realize a drastic change in immediately necessary regardless of cost. The fans that have put in ten, twenty or more years don't grow on trees. Lose them and you lose the core of your fan base, not soon to be replaced.

The sad reality is what do I really have to show for 40 years of support? One shared conf championship that we backed into and did not get to a major bowl. Other crumbs like an International Bowl or a Birmingham Bowl. Our best season in recent memory only resulted in a Texas Bowl.

I do not think it is too much to ask for just one championship season for 40 years of support. Illinois, Purdue and Northwestern have all made Rose Bowls in that span. I have tampered down my expectations from a conf championship to maybe a 9 or 10 win season and a New Years Bowl. Under Ash, that seems impossible.

We had 12 unused tickets for Illinois. 12 when it was uncommon to have 1 or 2. The program is dying. It is bleeding out, hemorrhaging fans and without hope for improvement under this regime. I dread the November games when RU fans will a minority of those in attendance.

Someone better be taking a long term look at the health of this program and realize a drastic change in immediately necessary regardless of cost. The fans that have put in ten, twenty or more years don't grow on trees. Lose them and you lose the core of your fan base, not soon to be replaced.

If it weren't for @MrsScrew's enthusiasm I'd be done until they get competitive again.

Last edited:

No, it has a leadership problem that complains they spend so much and get such a low ROI.

You get what you pay for. You don't hire cheap, then get drilled in the ass on buyouts because the cheap hire blew up in your face and complain that you spend more than another business that's more successful.

It's like bragging to your neighbor you re-did your roof for a cheaper price using a guy with no insurance and then wonder why you have to keep calling him back and paying him to patch up the roof and then in 15 years complain to your neighbor you spent twice as much as he did on the same exact roof.

The fact that our University President and several members of the BOG don't realize that tells me they are total economic retards. They can show me all the degrees they have, means squat. That's business sense 101.

Watching Ash in these pressers pre season vs in season is astonishing. Pre season it was all about leadership and how mature the team is. Now it's all about how young and not motivated they are.
Ash reminds me of the guy that has all the excuses in the yearly review why he didn't meet his numbers. But why he still needs a bigger piece of the bonus pool.

Posted this by mistake in another thread.

Where are you getting that Rutgers invested more than any other school? Sounds like complete bullcrap to me.

Subsidy from the school has been the highest or top 3 for going on a decade now. This is pretty well known.

If MD fires their staff and ends up with Schiano, I might have to jump ship until RU shows a pulse again... :chairshot:

Even an alumnus and diehard fan can only take so much

Barchi says spending isn't going up - subsidy from the school is going down. Or so I've heard around here.
The projected budget for the athletic department will go up, institutional support eventually will go away, student fees will stay and an approximate 20M (including interest) will be serviced and run off over time.

Even though budget will go up while all this is happening, it's still going to be in the bottom tier of the conference....so don't expect us to be spending big bucks. Really, I'm okay with that...I think spending wisely efficiently is important no matter the budget.

Many programs spend a lot of money and don't get nearly the return on it....good chance you'll hear complaints we're spending 3M or 5M or whatever for this? Instead of the we're spending 2M for this complaints you hear now.

Big Ten Athletic Department donations 2017:

Michigan $38.1MM
Ohio State $37.6MM
Michigan State: $31.9MM
Penn State: $30.8MM
Iowa: $29.6MM
Nebraska: $26.4MM
Illinois: $23.8MM
Indiana: $22.7MM
Wisconsin: $22MM
Purdue: $21.7MM
Minnesota: $14MM
Maryland: $12.3MM
Rutgers: $7.1MM

We are the only B1G school, and I believe the only P5 school, that required state aid to build a basketball practice facility. We are a welfare case. The idea we can eat $10MM is laughable.

Last edited:
If MD fires their staff and ends up with Schiano, I might have to jump ship until RU shows a pulse again... :chairshot:

Even an alumnus and diehard fan can only take so much

I've already decided that next year I'm rooting for GS no matter where he is if Ash keeps his job. I'll be back after Ash leaves but I can't follow his team any longer.

Michigan $38.1MM
Ohio State $37.6MM

We are the only B1G school, and I believe the only P5 school, that required state aid to build a basketball practice facility. We are a welfare case. The idea we can eat $10MM is laughable.

Pretty easy. Why throw money into this dumpster fire when Hobbs and Barchi are standing there pouring gasoline in to it.

Show everyone you have a plan, a commitment, and benchmarks and itll be easier to ask for money to solve a problem.

I wouldn't give Ash gas money if he was broken down on the side of the road, because I couldn't be convinced he would buy sand instead and dump that in to the tank, while wondering what's wrong.

This whole debate on bringing back Greg (Gary if you remember Randy Cross during the Pinstripe Bowl) is interesting. Eight months ago I would have said RU is better off without Greg and Greg is better off without RU. Now things have completely changed: Ash has shown he’s not the future for this program and Greg is not the future head coach for most power 5 coaches post Tennessee debacle. I’m sure Greg views himself as a head coach and I feel that a humbled and more introspective Greg with a strong staff would bring RU back to respectability at the least. I think Hobbs hit it out of the park with Coach Pike but he should start realizing that most RU alumni and NJ residents want football to be the flagship of the program and that Ash is proving that he is not the right head coach for RU to reach, maintain or exceed respectability. Hobbs needs to admit he made a mistake and have all options on the table. A year ago Greg probably thought he was too good for RU and RU thought it needed to move away from the Schiano shadow. If this turns out to be a one or two win season for RU football Hobbs will have no choice but to make a change; and if Ash stays into next season the level of apathy will be through the roof amongst the RU fanbase. Egos on both sides of the table need to be set aside and Hobbs and Greg and any other top candidate that understands our university, market, state, culture and aspirations has to be considered by Pat upon the end of the season.

GO RU

Subsidy from the school has been the highest or top 3 for going on a decade now. This is pretty well known.
That's not an investment. That is paying your shortfall. Paying for new facilities is an investment. Paying market rate for an entire coaching staff is an investment.
Plus Barchi wants the subsidues gone by the time Rutgers is funded. So Rutgers is really at the bottom of investments.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
That's not an investment. That is paying your shortfall. Paying for new facilities is an investment. Paying market rate for an entire coaching staff is an investment.
Plus Barchi wants the subsidues gone by the time Rutgers is funded. So Rutgers is really at the bottom of investments.

Call it what you want, but Rutgers has contributed more from its general fund to athletics than any of its peers over the last 10 years. There was no obligation to do so. None of Rutgers peers use funds from their school's budget to pay for a coaching staff or facilities. So, particularly compared to its peers, Rutgers has used more university funds for athletics.

Having the general fund subsidy gone is the best thing that can happen to Rutgers athletics. It ensures that decisions like the one that needs to be made now will not be met by screams that Rutgers is wasting taxpayer money (or at least, not with any validity to those complaints). Replacing general funds with conference funds (which are sustainable) is the best possible scenario.

Watching Ash in these pressers pre season vs in season is astonishing. Pre season it was all about leadership and how mature the team is. Now it's all about how young and not motivated they are.
Ash reminds me of the guy that has all the excuses in the yearly review why he didn't meet his numbers. But why he still needs a bigger piece of the bonus pool.

Posted this by mistake in another thread.
Good point.
Texas State (cued up):
Excited

Bowl is realistic goal. Because of the Senior Class--tremendous leadership.

JL at QB-- Jonathan is playing the best he has played at QB. He has a chance to play QB this year or down the road.

Good point.
Texas State (cued up):
Excited

Bowl is realistic goal. Because of the Senior Class--tremendous leadership.

JL at QB-- Jonathan is playing the best he has played at QB. He has a chance to play QB this year or down the road.
TLdaChY.gif

Hobbs needs to put his ego aside and gauge Schiano's interest. He's one of the few that would immediately put butts in the seats and generate donor dollars for a buy out. Given his history of doing it before, Schiano would also have a very long leash from the fanbase.
All he would have to do in the Introductory presser is say, " I'm back to finish what I started". The CHOP is back, get out your Block "R's", Wear Red to games and let's get this thing going. Every casual fan will only remember the good times and be back on board. Only the few on here will remember that he never won a Big East title or that his game day coaching was lacking. Hell they'll probably still renew their tickets, while if we keep Ash they won't.

It'll be the talk of the town in the media. They'll be an instant buzz around the program again. His 1st season, season ticket sales will increase as everyone will want to recapture those glory days(well RU's glory days) of their youth. Gameday attendance sales will increase into the mid 40K range, as the casual fans only remember his reputation of getting it done. The move would pay for itself in just a couple years.

Would he be able to get it done a second time. Who the hell knows as it's always a crap shoot. But it'd be one helluva fun ride for a few years. I know recruiting would be a helluva lot better with him having the B1G to sell. Sounds great the problem is Hobbs, BOG and Barchi.

Last edited:
Pretty easy. Why throw money into this dumpster fire when Hobbs and Barchi are standing there pouring gasoline in to it.

Show everyone you have a plan, a commitment, and benchmarks and itll be easier to ask for money to solve a problem.

I wouldn't give Ash gas money if he was broken down on the side of the road, because I couldn't be convinced he would buy sand instead and dump that in to the tank, while wondering what's wrong.

It is what it is. Support the Coach and the program. Sometimes that sucks. But it is what we, as a fanbase, should do. We won't. And we aren't.

We have made significantly large investments in athletic infrastructure over the past 2-3 years without B1G money and without alumni/fan support.

Last edited:
It's a little silly to say the school hasn't shown it cares. It has sunk tons of money into the football program and hired what would seem to be a legitimate choice for head coach three years ago.
Very easy to say fore a coach. Who replaces him and how much money are we willing to spend on him and staff? If not boatloads more than u shouldn’t make the move

i have been gojng to Rutgers football and Rutgers basketball games as a season ticket holder for now over 40 years. I have 8 season tickets for football and 4 for basketball and my contribution to Rutgers is now close to five digits a year

So I’m a pretty damn good customer

More importantly... I’m an avid fan, and loyal son.

I grew up on Rutgers sports and I now take my sons to all the games. They are growing up on Rutgers.

And I have seen and sweated the past and know it all.

And I can tell you...that in 40 plus years...I have NEVER questioned why I am a Rutgers fan. Never. Not during Terry shea. Not during Craig Littlepage. Not having to wait 27 years for a bowl bid (I was at the garden state bowl). Now waiting almost 30 year for a NCAA bid

But I am now. We have blown all the benefits of the entrance to the big ten. The opportunity of all opportunities for this school athletic department.

And our school is at a threshold ...where thousands of fans are, at once, ready to give up on this program for good.

While I’m not there ...a lot of people who have been loyal fans for decades are there.

I know all the people around me in 105 for football. And almost none were there on Saturday. They don’t care ...and because the school doesn’t. And this is 105. Bigger donor territory and the loyal of the loyal.

I am telling you...if we don’t make a coaching change ...and make a change that we hire someone that will unite and rally this school fans for a long term build...then I bet we may be looking at a TEN thousand season ticket loss after this year. I am NOT kidding.

Criticize me for saying I’m over exaggerating ...but I don’t think so. I know the good fans that are staying away

It’s up to this school for once to make the real commitment to this program ...and it starts with not just firing the existing coach. Firing Chris ash, a nice man who is way over his head is only ONE step

This school must also hire a REAL coach and staff that will unite the fans of this program and have them on board for a build that isn’t going to be easy or short

Otherwise ...our fan base is going to exit and stay away like it never has before...and it will take a lot to get then all back.

It’s gojng to be easier to keep who is here by doing whatever needs to be done now in economic cost then to try to sell them on returning

Your move, Mr Hobbs, Mr Barchi and the Rutgers BOG

I made a post about much of this after Kansalo and I think the issue is that the "loyal of the loyal" are mostly fans in their 40s/50s/60s, who lived through the program falling to the depths of despair under Shea (after general mediocrity or occasionally worse prior to that, but not abject despair).

However, while most of us realized that Shea was simply bad, we also realized that we were finally in the BE and that if we could get the right coach, we could turn things around and then Schiano came along and gave us hope, even in those early lean years. We saw what he was doing in recruiting and with facilities and even the branding of the program and there was even more hope.

After that, we had the miracle of his 7 year run including the magical 2006 season, 6 bowls in 7 years, strong recruiting, renovating the stadiium and becoming established as a highly respected program with an even better future. That hope had been realized, finally.

And even though Schiano left, he left a great recruiting class and after a pretty good first year under Flood we got the long dreamed about B1G invite and most of us thought we had finally arrived as a major player in college football - and even though some signs of decline were evident in Flood's 2nd year, we went 8-5 in our first B1G season in his 3rd year, confirming we were in the right place.

And then the bottom fell out over Flood's last year and Ash's 3 years and we now find ourselves back where we were under Shea, getting shellacked regularly and struggling to be competitive with the worst teams we face, but probably with a lot less hope for the future.

I think that having tasted success and thinking we'd be going to much better bowls in the B1G, to have that all taken away (or frittered away by our coaches and administration) is far more depressing than simply going from a bit less than mediocrity prior to Shea and then hitting bottom and none of us wants to go through that long climb again - nobody wants to be Sisyphus. Of course I could be wrong, but that's why I think it seems worse than under Shea.

Michigan $38.1MM
Ohio State $37.6MM

that's what you get when you consistently suck.

Reactions: koleszar
All he would have to do in the Introductory presser is say, " I'm back to finish what I started". The CHOP is back, get out your Block "R's", Wear Red to games and let's get this thing going. Every casual fan will only remember the good times and be back on board. Only the few on here will remember that he never won a Big East title or that his game day coaching was lacking. Hell they'll probably still renew their tickets, while if we keep Ash they won't.

just hearing his pre-game mix tape over the speakers would get me pumped.

I know I’m small potatoes but my % chance of getting season tickets next year goes like this:

If we hire Schiano: 100

If we hire a proven G5/FCS head coach: 100

If we hire another coordinator: 0 in year one but I will at least be interested

If we keep Ash: 0 and I won’t even watch and will actively discourage my friends/family from watching

i have been gojng to Rutgers football and Rutgers basketball games as a season ticket holder for now over 40 years. I have 8 season tickets for football and 4 for basketball and my contribution to Rutgers is now close to five digits a year

So I’m a pretty damn good customer

More importantly... I’m an avid fan, and loyal son.

I grew up on Rutgers sports and I now take my sons to all the games. They are growing up on Rutgers.

And I have seen and sweated the past and know it all.

And I can tell you...that in 40 plus years...I have NEVER questioned why I am a Rutgers fan. Never. Not during Terry shea. Not during Craig Littlepage. Not having to wait 27 years for a bowl bid (I was at the garden state bowl). Now waiting almost 30 year for a NCAA bid

But I am now. We have blown all the benefits of the entrance to the big ten. The opportunity of all opportunities for this school athletic department.

And our school is at a threshold ...where thousands of fans are, at once, ready to give up on this program for good.

While I’m not there ...a lot of people who have been loyal fans for decades are there.

I know all the people around me in 105 for football. And almost none were there on Saturday. They don’t care ...and because the school doesn’t. And this is 105. Bigger donor territory and the loyal of the loyal.

I am telling you...if we don’t make a coaching change ...and make a change that we hire someone that will unite and rally this school fans for a long term build...then I bet we may be looking at a TEN thousand season ticket loss after this year. I am NOT kidding.

Criticize me for saying I’m over exaggerating ...but I don’t think so. I know the good fans that are staying away

Otherwise ...our fan base is going to exit and stay away like it never has before...and it will take a lot to get then all back.

It’s gojng to be easier to keep who is here by doing whatever needs to be done now in economic cost then to try to sell them on returning

Your move, Mr Hobbs, Mr Barchi and the Rutgers BOG

Great post.

Absolutely right. And we're looking at being under a microscope- spotlight next year for the 150th anniversary of game 1. What kind of support do you think we'll have going in?

Bet there is little to none. No one cares...except people on this and a few other sites. People who show up come rain or shine and DIE FOR DEAR OL RUTGERS.

Hobbs has two choices: keep Ash and lose a major faction of the fan base or MAKE the move for someone who knows NJ (and NJ knows him), is a winner, and will energize a once again morose / moribund fan base (perhaps dwindling).

It's the pay me now or pay me later...and as we all know it always costs more to do the latter!

MO

Reactions: Knight Shift
any way to bring Greg back on a back loaded 6 year contract?..I think boosters and fans would be more inclined to eat the ASH contract with Greg than another experience coach...

Except it's not accurate. The subsidy was in the Top 3 for three years from the 2011-12 to 2013-14 year, and it hasn't been higher than 5th since (where it's been the last two years). It was 17th in 2014-15, and before 2011-12 it was much more in line with other universities (sub-$20M).

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT