ADVERTISEMENT

I have NEVER seen our fan base so ready to abandon our program

Question for you guys. What if Greg comes back and cannot turn things around? Where does that leave you as a program?

Schiano had a conference record of 28-48 and a non conference record of 40-19. You played 7 conference games per year back then opposed to the 9 now. Even in 2006 you only had 8 P5 wins (including S Fla). 2007 3 P5 wins. My point is it feels like reading your board that Schiano is your only hope but it is going to be infinitely harder to recreate the magic of a decade ago. So what if Greg comes back and fails, where do you go from there? In 2011, the 2019 recruiting class would have been 11. I'm not sure Greg can trade on his name with them.

Bottom line is as an outsider I think the worst thing you can do is hire Schiano back because if he fails I see that as a hole that's nearly impossible to get out of. What coach would find the job attractive if Schiano can't win? Right now, I think you need a coach that has proven they can win above their talent level. The staff at Appy State comes to mind for some reason. Unfortunately I'm not sure Satterfield has any desire to leave, as I'm pretty sure that's his Alma Mater. But you need a coach like that.

This is what I found looking quickly. Do you have other information/sources?

"Louisville has spent over $39 million on the expansion so far, with future payments in the works for the $63 million project, Klein said. The construction has been funded through private donations."

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...nsion-louisville-nears-completion/1149372002/

"The estimated total project budget, in future dollars, stands at $340 million. During his presentation to the board Thursday, Currie outlined a five-source funding model for Phase I that does not require any state dollars or subsidies. The updated plan calls for more work to be completed sooner, while costs are lower; this adjustment also enables the project to benefit from the current low-interest-rate environment."

https://utsports.com/news/2017/11/3...master-plan-proposal-for-neyland-stadium.aspx

http://www.wdrb.com/story/37423061/...-on-the-papa-johns-cardinal-stadium-expansion

"The expansion will be paid for by donations and revenues generated from the project. It is funded with $55 million in bonds raised by the university, to be paid off over 20 years at a total of about $82 million."

So, they took out bonds, and are expecting to pay them back over 20 years through donations and revenues.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/spor...m-renovations-starting-summer-2018/820890001/

"Funding for Phase I will come from capital campaigns, athletic department earned operating revenue, partnerships and budgeted debt service."

Interesting thing, too, is that there isn't a whole lot of copy written about how these expansions are paid for at other universities. They talk about the overall price tag, what's going to be included, some quotes from the AD and coaches... and occasionally a quick nod to how it would be paid for, but rarely with a ton of detail.

It feels like the cost of our expansions have been covered to death in comparison.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
GS gives us an immediate shot in the arm and his gameday coaching will be adequate enough not to be the bottom dweller we are now. He would light it up recruiting from day 1 and that is what we need. All of this has been covered, no GS fan but I want him back. I want him back yesterday!

Schiano had a conference record of 28-48 and a non conference record of 40-19.

Cmon he came into Shea bottom of D1, and counting those first few years is pretty silly.

Look at his records the last 6 or so years and the bowl wins. A winning record. Misleading to quote the total and indicate a different result. One doesn't have to like or support him, but to say once he righted it that he didnt have a winning record is incorrect, or at best intentionally misleading.

Cmon he came into Shea bottom of D1, and counting those first few years is pretty silly.

Look at his records the last 6 or so years and the bowl wins. A winning record. Misleading to quote the total and indicate a different result. One doesn't have to like or support him, but to say once he righted it that he didnt have a winning record is incorrect, or at best intentionally misleading.
that's right now if he comes in, he could inherit a talent situation similar to post Shea which is why we need to get rid of Ash now!

Question for you guys. What if Greg comes back and cannot turn things around? Where does that leave you as a program?

Schiano had a conference record of 28-48 and a non conference record of 40-19. You played 7 conference games per year back then opposed to the 9 now. Even in 2006 you only had 8 P5 wins (including S Fla). 2007 3 P5 wins. My point is it feels like reading your board that Schiano is your only hope but it is going to be infinitely harder to recreate the magic of a decade ago. So what if Greg comes back and fails, where do you go from there? In 2011, the 2019 recruiting class would have been 11. I'm not sure Greg can trade on his name with them.

Bottom line is as an outsider I think the worst thing you can do is hire Schiano back because if he fails I see that as a hole that's nearly impossible to get out of. What coach would find the job attractive if Schiano can't win? Right now, I think you need a coach that has proven they can win above their talent level. The staff at Appy State comes to mind for some reason. Unfortunately I'm not sure Satterfield has any desire to leave, as I'm pretty sure that's his Alma Mater. But you need a coach like that.
You are going about it all wrong.
You need James Franklin and Sandy Barbour to call Hobbs and give Greg the most solid of recommendations. James needs to say that he does not even want to have to face a Greg Schiano defense again and that Greg gave the best post game interviews he ever saw. Sandy needs to tell Pat that Greg did not know.

Conference record 2006-11 was 21-19. His record against conference teams with winning records over that period was 10-15.

Randy Edsall is doing a bang up job in his second go-round at Connecticut. 4-14 and 2-9 in Conference

Randy's putrid 5-7 UConn annihilated Greg 40-22 in Greg's last year.

No thanks.

"With a projected $166 million bill, the University of Minnesota’s Athletes Village will be funded in part by the largest fundraising campaign its athletics department has ever undertaken.

The department has raised $105 million to date, with $16 million raised in the past month alone. The remaining $61 million will be financed through debt, a practice the University uses on certain high-dollar capital projects.

The $104.5 million renovation of Pioneer Hall, for example, uses similar financing but does not utilize donations."

We are far from the "ONLY P5 school" that's not funding infrastructure with 100% donor funds.
Yes but for the most part are paid through each Athlectic Departments budget and somes loans are directly tied into tickets sales. The more you sell the faster it gets paid off. The expansion loan has that tie in that financing with a minimum required each year.

Conference record 2006-11 was 21-19. His record against conference teams with winning records over that period was 10-15.

Randy Edsall is doing a bang up job in his second go-round at Connecticut. 4-14 and 2-9 in Conference

No thanks.
So if GS isnt the answer who is? It easy to stamp your feet without a realistic solution

Reactions: RUfromNJ

No thanks.

Edsall was at Maryland in 2011; Pasquiloni was at UConn 2011-midway through 2013.

Joe P.

Reactions: RUfromNJ
Edsall is no GS. 21-19 in conference--what was ooc?

He would light this thing up with B10 to sell and shot at Rose Bowl and final 4. Would take years to get us to 500 conference record from now but would take it with occasional psu upset.

I’m no Schiano lover, in fact, I’m considered a hater here. That being said, schiano is a big name coach that will immediately create a buzz with not only recruits but also boosters and fans. Putting his record up from day 1 is unfair because he literally took over a Patriot league team playing in the Big East. From 2006 on he was exactly 500 in conference. Also, hopefully his time with Meyer will have helped him to learn how a CEO should operate. Provide your input but don’t micro manage the crap out of people. Will schiano ever get us to OSU or PSU levels on a consistent basis? No, but nobody will because our press and school won’t allow us to cheat enough to. Could he get us to Iowa or Northwestern levels? I believe he could and I’d be good with that.

Edsall is no GS. 21-19 in conference--what was ooc?

He would light this thing up with B10 to sell and shot at Rose Bowl and final 4. Would take years to get us to 500 conference record from now but would take it with occasional psu upset.

OOC:
2006- 6-0 (UNC: 3-9; Ill: 2-10; Ohio 9-4; Howard; Navy 9-4; K State 7-6)
2007-5-1 (Buffalo 5-7; Navy 8-5; Norfolk State; Lost to 6-6 Maryland; Army 3-9; Ball State 7-5)
2008 3-3 (Lost Fresno; Lost UNC; Lost Navy; Morgan State; Army 3-9; NC State 6-6)
2009 6-0 (Howard; FIU, Maryland 2-10; Texas Southern?; Army 5-7; UCF 8-5)
2010 3-2 (Norfolk, FIU, Lost UNC 8-5; Lost Tulane 4-8; Army 6-6
2011 5-1 (NC Cent; Lost UNC 6-6; Ohio; Navy 5-7; Army 3-9; Iowa State 6-6)

28-7 looks impressive, but 23 of those wins were against teams that had losing or 6-6 records or cupcakes like Norfolk or Morgan State. No thanks.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
I’m no Schiano lover, in fact, I’m considered a hater here. That being said, schiano is a big name coach that will immediately create a buzz with not only recruits but also boosters and fans. Putting his record up from day 1 is unfair because he literally took over a Patriot league team playing in the Big East. From 2006 on he was exactly 500 in conference. Also, hopefully his time with Meyer will have helped him to learn how a CEO should operate. Provide your input but don’t micro manage the crap out of people. Will schiano ever get us to OSU or PSU levels on a consistent basis? No, but nobody will because our press and school won’t allow us to cheat enough to. Could he get us to Iowa or Northwestern levels? I believe he could and I’d be good with that.
Look at my post immediately above this one.
No thanks. Respect what the guy did while he was here, but jasonpsu raises some very valid points. We should aim higher. No disrespect to Greg intended.

Reactions: mildone
OOC:
2006- 6-0 (UNC: 3-9; Ill: 2-10; Ohio 9-4; Howard; Navy 9-4; K State 7-6)
2007-5-1 (Buffalo 5-7; Navy 8-5; Norfolk State; Lost to 6-6 Maryland; Army 3-9; Ball State 7-5)
2008 3-3 (Lost Fresno; Lost UNC; Lost Navy; Morgan State; Army 3-9; NC State 6-6)
2009 6-0 (Howard; FIU, Maryland 2-10; Texas Southern?; Army 5-7; UCF 8-5)
2010 3-2 (Norfolk, FIU, Lost UNC 8-5; Lost Tulane 4-8; Army 6-6
2011 5-1 (NC Cent; Lost UNC 6-6; Ohio; Navy 5-7; Army 3-9; Iowa State 6-6)

28-7 looks impressive, but 23 of those wins were against teams that had losing or 6-6 records or cupcakes like Norfolk or Morgan State. No thanks.
He’s no Nick Saban but he will recruit well and teams will play hard tenacious D. Plus no real pass spread teams in the BIG to abuse him. Lol

Reactions: Knight Shift
No thanks. Respect what the guy did while he was here, but jasonpsu raises some very valid points. We should aim higher. No disrespect to Greg intended.
Whats higher? We aren’t poaching a coach form another P5 team. So who is the retread that you would hire and we aren’t spending 6 million. Or we take a MAC guy which I’m ok with but that’s very hit and miss. Schiano isn’t going to win a Rose Bowl but he won’t completely miss either.

And yet you don't provide a reasonable alternative

What's higher than a former nfl coach and the dc of a top 5 team?

First, I'm not sure anyone is as ideally situated as GS to succeed at RU.

Second, there is a small pool above GS. Unless we have 5 mill plus a year, we're not swimming in that pool.

Aim higher??? Please do tell who would be higher that is remotely-remotely feasible.

Wants higher? We aren’t poaching a coach form another P5 team. So who is the retread that you would hire and we aren’t spending 6 million. Or we take a MAC guy which I’m ok with but that’s very hit and miss. Schiano isn’t going to win a Rose Bowl but he won’t completely miss either.

I'd take a controversial coach like Lane Kiffin. He can recruit and he would cause buzz (in more than one way).
Josh Heupel- OC for 5 years and 10 years under Bob Stoops, now head coach at UCF.

Beau Baldwin, compiled 85-32 record at Eastern Washington, OC at Cal

Mike Norvell, Head Coach at Memphis.

I'd take a controversial coach like Lane Kiffin. He can recruit and he would cause buzz (in more than one way).
Josh Heupel- OC for 5 years and 10 years under Bob Stoops, now head coach at UCF.

Ha. And I want Nick Saban to come here too. None of those are coming to Rutgers

Reactions: Debtbubble

Big fan or norvell. That being said have anyone who wasn’t born 3 time zones away from N.J.

Plus Schiano could potentially allow us a back loaded contract as we get a bigger share. He has far more money in the bank compared to any other candidate we’d hire. Some flexibility could lessen the sting of the buyout.

Greg’s buyout or Ash’s buyout or both? I believe that Florida may now be paying 2-3 former HC’s. That’s the direction things are going in today in CFB.

Heupel is an okay name although I'd like to see him perform as HC longer without what Frost left behind.

Norvell is a good name.

Beau Baldwin I had mentioned as OC for us during one of our searches but he has to do a Moorhead and prove himself as OC on the P5 first. I don't think he has yet at Cal.

Lane Kiffin I don't want and not just because of personality issues.

All of them are potentially realistic though, only Heupel/Norvell could be out of reach depending on how hot their seasons end up being.

Norvell was probably one of the favorites for Arkansas last year and he still didn't get it...so like I said one day your flame may be white hot and the next embers so you take something if you can because the perfect opportunity doesn't always come to you.

Shiano is a big name coach with RU fans (and OSU fans perhaps, as a DC only), plus former players and some coaches and ADs around the country. But I'm not at all convinced he's a big name with potential RU recruits who were in grade school or middle school back when he was coaching RU. And while he recruited well in FL when he was at RU, he subsequently had a miserable, very public time at Tampa Bay. Not sure his name is so great in FL after that.

I don't hate Schiano at all. He did a great job building the program, over the 11 years he had to do it. I think it's safe to say would do far better than Flood and better than Ash, after all he does have considerably more experience.

But these are not very high bars, results-wise. His in-conference record sucked and he lived off out-of-conference games. With 11 years to do it, he was basically a .500 coach. Never won a conference championship. Couldn't win as a pro coach. These are all just facts.

So I am failing to understand why people think he's the only person who could coach here or would be some godsend. It doesn't seem logical. It just seems emotional. Some sort of attachment thing based on his being the only guy in modern history to have any kind of success at all at RU, regardless of the fact that the success was fleeting.

People need to remember that he can no longer pad our schedule with a lot of cupcake programs to get to bowl games. And how many years will the current fan base be patient with Schiano, or are they just assuming that his presence here will mean we're going bowling again immediately?

He’s no Nick Saban but he will recruit well and teams will play hard tenacious D. Plus no real pass spread teams in the BIG to abuse him. Lol
Not sure how you arrive at the conclusion that he will recruit well. Just because RU fans love him doesn't mean recruits will love him.

What's his sales pitch going to be in his first couple seasons? Hey, I was .500 as a coach, but don't look at my pro coaching career because that hurts my lifetime average?

He could try hey, I was a OSU defensive coordinator. But, well, we got a guy that can say that and it's not working out so great.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Been going to games since I was 6. 69 now. Live in Florida and still have season tix. Costs me $1,000 or more for every game I fly up for. Northwestern could be my last one.
I hope you're tailgating with someone. If not, join us in the Blue Lot!

Not sure how you arrive at the conclusion that he will recruit well. Just because RU fans love him doesn't mean recruits will love him.

What's his sales pitch going to be in his first couple seasons? Hey, I was .500 as a coach, but don't look at my pro coaching career because that hurts my lifetime average?

He could try hey, I was a OSU defensive coordinator. But, well, we got a guy that can say that and it's not working out so great.
He is a good not great recruiter. Why will he recruit “well”. Lets see......DBP coach was a QB he put in the NFL, SPP staff the same as when he was here, DP Catholic staff the same, BC HC comes from a family that respects him. Look, I’m not saying he’s getting top 5 classes but the movers and shakers in this state remember him winning and we haven’t since he left

Because what you have now is the titanic. He can right the ship.

You could easily lose 7 or 8 thousand more season ticket sales next year. Empty stadiums. No wins next year is a real possibility. FCS recruits. This isn’t close to rock bottom yet.

I thought about not including his first 2 years but what’s the justification. Because he was 0-14 and it makes his record look better? Because he was walking into a team with less talent than his peers?

If you were in a situation where Ash was recruiting well but not getting the job done then dropping the 1st 2 years might be a valid comparison. But today Greg would basically be in the same position from a talent perspective.

I don’t know how stating facts can be intentionally misleading or incorrect. His record at RU is his record at RU.

You want to say Greg was a better coach than his overall record showed because of where the program was when he took over, I’d agree with that. But I also think the job this time around is going to be much harder. And my main point was if he fails then who's next? Now you can still say Greg was able to have success here so it can be done. If he comes back for a second stint and it doesn't work out, who is going to take a chance on the job? I don't think the real up and comers in coaching are looking to take on a P5 rebuild in one of the strongest divisions in CFB, they are looking for the right job that has a talented roster, that there is a path for success.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Jason, first thing I want is the full share of the money. That is a big deal. Jerry Kill said it last year in interview on Big Ten Network.

Like I wrote Kill said it would be nice to get the money. A former head coach should know right?

When schiano left, we had our best recruiting class signed up and a few more were on their way. Things at that time were starting to peak. Its also very possible Schiano 2.0 will be better than he was. The guy is a relentless intense competitor. I'm sure he's taken some inventory of himself and where things went wrong in Tampa. And I bet he's learned some things from Urban. I don't care if he's not Nick Saban. Wed have a team with an identity. A great defense and special teams. And well see if he learned some lessons on offense.

And schiano recruiting with rutgers in the big ten.conference instead of a dissolving big East? He was handicapped and he still recruited well.

If Hobbs doesn't do something soon, schiano may have his job in a short while. I could see schiano as an AD. He did a lot more than coach when he was here promoting rutgers. Marketing, vision, etc.

Reactions: BillyC80
I don’t hate Ash - think he is stuck but also think he is building depth so there are players in the pipeline who were mostly 3* recruits that are maturing.

But if we were to fire the coach - my hope would be for the Texans to keep losing and for Hobbs to throw the bank at O’Brian.

I thought about not including his first 2 years but what’s the justification. Because he was 0-14 and it makes his record look better? Because he was walking into a team with less talent than his peers?

If you were in a situation where Ash was recruiting well but not getting the job done then dropping the 1st 2 years might be a valid comparison. But today Greg would basically be in the same position from a talent perspective.

I don’t know how stating facts can be intentionally misleading or incorrect. His record at RU is his record at RU.

You want to say Greg was a better coach than his overall record showed because of where the program was when he took over, I’d agree with that. But I also think the job this time around is going to be much harder. And my main point was if he fails then who's next? Now you can still say Greg was able to have success here so it can be done. If he comes back for a second stint and it doesn't work out, who is going to take a chance on the job? I don't think the real up and comers in coaching are looking to take on a P5 rebuild in one of the strongest divisions in CFB, they are looking for the right job that has a talented roster, that there is a path for success.
I don’t think you understand how untalented this program was when schiano took over. It wa patriot league level. Right now, we are as talented as at least 1/3 of the conference. Also 100% of who we should be scheduling OOC.

ADVERTISEMENT