ADVERTISEMENT

"I just want to go 1-0" - Pikiell

Sounded like a throw-away line when he said it, not a mantra or anything like that.

Didn't Flood trademark the 1-0 quote?....Coach Pikiell may have a trademark infringement matter to deal with...:)

Reactions: Unionst
there are a lots of coaches who say the same thing; good coaches too. It was a Schainos thing as well - Flood certainly dint invent it.

"I just want to go 1-0" = interview hamburger helper - usually served up in inane situations - like after a season opening victory when the 4th reporter in a row asks about post-season bowl chances .

Kind of like the well practiced lines of Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh -

"I want to help the ball club"
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

6d3497a8e06f69dd1af62f12d27392cf.jpg

Flood's failing was that he neglected to mix it up - he served it up too frequently with zero variation - becoming a parody of himself.

he HAS been 1-0,,,,6x so far
one more win and we equal ALL the 1-0's of the entire YEAR last year

I see 10 deep all contributing
I see game day coaching
I see players are prepared

He can say anything he wants to say in my book

Reactions: zbullek21
I don't have a problem with coaches saying that.

But just for once it would be fun to hear a coach say "I just want to go 25 and 0".

Reactions: NJDOVES
I actually like the underlying message of the "1-0" mantra: Our previous win/loss record doesn't matter, and we're only focused on the next thing we can control. We're not going to lose focus on the next game by looking ahead and thinking about our overall season, etc.

Flood's issue - as others here have mentioned - is that he kept going back to the "1-0" message and became a broken record. It became apparent to most of the fans that there were bigger issues at hand when we were running up disappointing records against AAC competition, and again during long losing streaks against obviously superior teams in the B1G. When your coach's only response in the face of obvious fundamental program issues is "going 1-0 this week" it starts to ring hollow.

Reactions: IMARUFAN
I heard him say that and chuckled. I never understood why so many people got upset when Flood said it. How is that any different from every coach saying that they're focused on the next game and not looking ahead.

Could be because Flood had a very difficult time going 1-0. He was also 0-1 against teaching assistants and the NBPD.

ADVERTISEMENT