ADVERTISEMENT

I may actually hate (a good amount of) our fans...

Feb 13, 2015
On Saturday I rolled into the practice to kill a few hours and see what a college football practice looked like. I came away really impressed with how organized and fluid the practice ran. No one was ever not doing anything to make themselves better/stronger/ready.

That being said, I sat in a few different areas and had the same horrendous experience with fans sitting behind me.

Could you imagine being a middle aged man (who probably hit their ceiling in pop warner ball) coming to an amateur practice and talking about how a freshman sucks bc he made some freshman mistakes? All the while not knowing any of the details of what the QB and coaching staff were working on. Not knowing if it even was the QBs fault or if a receiver ran a wrong route or if a third string lineman got beat and rushed a play OR whatever else was seen in the film session after practice.

I mean, I'm used to it. As a season ticket holder, ever since I graduated from the student section (back when we showed up) in 2010, I've been surrounded by the endless criticism (only some deserved) that clouds our entire program like the ooze in Ghostbuster 2. God forbid we support our players when they make a mistake, rather than give every quarterback we have had in this program a complex.

And last point, remember that it isn't important what mistakes ANY of the players made in practice this week matter. What matters is whether or not they learned from it during film sessions and if they avoid making them in the future.

I've lived in the midwest a number of years and seen a few different programs a number of times (Iowa State, Indiana, Minnesota).

From my observations, in general, northeast fans are more critical and tough, but not exclusively.

Indiana: Mostly an apathetic fanbase when it comes to football. Not sure they ever really care enough to be critical.
Iowa State: By and large, very supportive of the program...win or lose. There is definitely frustration at times, but by and large a supportive group and something to be admired.
Minnesota: Most like a northeast crowd...probably due to the school being in Minneapolis and a pro-sports town. Easily the most sarcastic and jaded of the different fan bases. Like Rutgers, mooves between excited and supportive to disinterested and jaded, depending on how the team is doing.

On Saturday I rolled into the practice to kill a few hours and see what a college football practice looked like. I came away really impressed with how organized and fluid the practice ran. No one was ever not doing anything to make themselves better/stronger/ready.

That being said, I sat in a few different areas and had the same horrendous experience with fans sitting behind me.

Could you imagine being a middle aged man (who probably hit their ceiling in pop warner ball) coming to an amateur practice and talking about how a freshman sucks bc he made some freshman mistakes? All the while not knowing any of the details of what the QB and coaching staff were working on. Not knowing if it even was the QBs fault or if a receiver ran a wrong route or if a third string lineman got beat and rushed a play OR whatever else was seen in the film session after practice.

I mean, I'm used to it. As a season ticket holder, ever since I graduated from the student section (back when we showed up) in 2010, I've been surrounded by the endless criticism (only some deserved) that clouds our entire program like the ooze in Ghostbuster 2. God forbid we support our players when they make a mistake, rather than give every quarterback we have had in this program a complex.

And last point, remember that it isn't important what mistakes ANY of the players made in practice this week matter. What matters is whether or not they learned from it during film sessions and if they avoid making them in the future.
Maybe a lot of those folks were in this thread too:

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/so-who’s-the-qb-come-sept-1-after-what-we-saw-today.149078/

Reactions: BaseballFan913

All good points.
78-0 and 58-0 and 56-0 and 40-7 and 41-0 beatdowns over the last 2 years have made even the most loyal fans somewhat jaded. I think having any fans turnout for a practice is good....which we had more .

I’ve played and been everywhere, my conclusion is fans are the same everywhere.

The percentage of:
Supportive
Appreciative
Miserable
Sarcastic
No knowledge
Great knowledge
Foul mouthed
Respectful
Doesn’t change state to state
Couldn't agree more, but what separates us from the rest is...
We eat our own!

Couldn't agree more, but what separates us from the rest is...
We eat our own!
Lol
For every guy in the stands who says they’re college kids giving their best effort.
There’s a guy yelling get the bum out, he stinks right behind you.
However, punting from the opponents 38 yard line down 35 in the 4th quarter, will provoke a whole new vocabulary

That clown behind you probably doesn't even know we went to NINE bowl games in 11 years and has no idea where we were before Coach Schiano and that Kyle Flood took a beautiful home and burned everything except the laundry room to the ground.
Kyle Flood had quite a bit of help-- or maybe it was the lack of help that was provided to him. Still, most of it was on him.

No doubt about it. Lot of talent evaluators out there looking for paid work, apparently.

Obviously, picks are concerning and you want to learn and cut down on them.

That being said, there is something about a right handed QB able to from the right hash make a throw to the left sideline 25 yards down the field that changes the way an opponent defends you and has to cover more field.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Knightshift,
Are you saying that we shouldn't expect Dr . Barchi to be named President at Ohio State,Auburn,Texas A & M,Oklahoma,MIchigan,Michigan State,Alabama,Miami,Georgia,etc. anytime soon?

Reactions: Knight Shift
Can we make posts to shame nasty Rutgers fans after each game? Take your camera out, snap the photo and post it here. What is the legalese on this?
How about just rooting for Rutgers and minding your own business. Who appointed you as the fan police and gave you the right to shame anyone on anything. We have been a season ticket holders for a very long time and sure there are times when fans in our section have been unruly, drunk, and out of order IMHO, however, we never considered ourselves so holy and pure that we had a right to publicly shame these individuals and maybe affect their lives and maybe their families as well.

We are living in a time when everyone has an opportunity to offer their opinions on anything, and everyone else can read them. From Rotten Tomatoes movie reviews, to online new articles, to "man in the street" news interviews, people are encouraged to share their comments - and many of them are nasty.

I don't think this a regional thing at all. Pretty much every fanbase has their share of vocal negations who don't know what they are talking about. Some of these people are extra vocal because they either bet on games (adding to their frustration when we lose) or brag to their work colleagues that we will be going to a bowl, then have to deal with the ridicule when we don't achieve as they predicted.

I never criticize a player from the stands, although I will question a play call. I don't think you can do anything about the behavior of people in the stands. As Schiano used to say, people pay for their tickets, so they feel entitled to react to what they see on the field.

-Scarlet Jerry

How about just rooting for Rutgers and minding your own business. Who appointed you as the fan police and gave you the right to shame anyone on anything. We have been a season ticket holders for a very long time and sure there are times when fans in our section have been unruly, drunk, and out of order IMHO, however, we never considered ourselves so holy and pure that we had a right to publicly shame these individuals and maybe affect their lives and maybe their families as well.

Guilty conscience?

Over the past few years I have come to believe that many of our fans are just ignorant , whiny and classless. I see it every day now and it makes me sick.

All good points.
78-0 and 58-0 and 56-0 and 40-7 and 41-0 beatdowns over the last 2 years have made even the most loyal fans somewhat jaded. I think having any fans turnout for a practice is good....which we had more .
Here is an example of what we are referring to ....ugh.

A lot of them listen to Mike Francesca on their way to work in the morning and come home and watch sports center. They’re brainwashed into not knowing anything about true college football and instead just the playoff teams and the states where they’re basically the pros anyway (OSU, Michigan, etc)

Zero wrong with his post
We have had fans like that for years . Time to get BIG . Watch how some posters act when “their “ QB is not picked as the starter. It will be ugly zapp , very ugly , ignorant and embarrassing. Mark my words. These so called fans will not get behind our QBand team if their choice is different from their highly educated football IQ prediction. You are entitled to your opinion but just watch ....

Reactions: rurichdog
Sure you can if you like the idea of being immediately banned.

Absolutely agree.

If you don't think fans of other Big 10 programs act like this, you've led a very sheltered life.
Don’t take my word for it just watch how so called fans react after the QB is announced. I’ll step aside .enjoy. .

Ever been to a high level travel baseball game, high level AAU basketball game or High Level high school football game? People talk crap everywhere, maybe just not within earshot or on a message board.

Reactions: RUSK97
We have had fans like that for years . Time to get BIG . Watch how some posters act when “their “ QB is not picked as the starter. It will be ugly zapp , very ugly , ignorant and embarrassing. Mark my words. These so called fans will not get behind our QBand team if their choice is different from their highly educated football IQ prediction. You are entitled to your opinion but just watch ....
Backer-
This is sports, if the QB that’s chosen to start gets the job done, 99.9 will be happy as a lark and everything on game day will taste and smell better.
If the chosen QB fails to operate effectively, like every other fanbase, they’ll be clamoring for a replacement and complaining.
How do you think the QB booed out of Nebraska’s stadium last year feels about Husker fans?

Reactions: czxqa and RU_DIO
Kyle Flood had quite a bit of help-- or maybe it was the lack of help that was provided to him. Still, most of it was on him.

True. Who was watching Kyle Flood. And who hired the person that was supposed to be watching KF. If someone like Lou Lamoriello was the AD, KF would have been fired after a winning season because a good AD/GM sees trouble long before the average schmuck. The fans would say WTF but time would tell he knew more than we did and made the right call. Like when Lou fired Claude Julien.

Last edited:
A lot of them listen to Mike Francesca on their way to work in the morning and come home and watch sports center. They’re brainwashed into not knowing anything about true college football and instead just the playoff teams and the states where they’re basically the pros anyway (OSU, Michigan, etc)
Lol

I spent a considerable amount of time playing ~ 175 seasons of NCAA Football on PS2 between 2003 and 2008. I am more than qualified to critique D1 players and coaches with years of D1 experience.
You should have fun, second guess, die with your team, question calls, go home miserable, be in a bad mood at the party you attend with your wife after the game, and by Thursday be excited to do it all again...just like the rest of us.

Can we make posts to shame nasty Rutgers fans after each game? Take your camera out, snap the photo and post it here. What is the legalese on this?
I'm sure at some point every game we'll make a boneheaded play and my emotions will get the best of me. Sorry, for caring too much. But maybe that's just me, win or lose I'm passionate about my allegiance. So here's a photo of me, feel free to post it in your thread of shame every week. I won't mind.

56cdb200e4b0c3e10da93f27_1_v1.jpg

Last edited:
You should have fun, second guess, die with your team, question calls, go home miserable, be in a bad mood at the party you attend with your wife after the game, and by Thursday be excited to do it all again...just like the rest of us.
Like (for some of us) that one shot in a round that goes exactly where you want to go.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Sports give a lot of people a place to vent. I think a lot of it has little to do with the actual game or players, just a chance to vent about life in general in a somewhat suitable venue.

What if multiple people take a picture of you...what then could kind of backfire on you

This is part of the reason I don't enjoy going to hockey games nearly as much as I used to. There's always a handful of out of shape bozos who have never laced up the skates throwing their hands up in disgust when a puck bounces over someone's stick blade, or the thousands of morons who yell "SHOOT" throughout entire powerplays as if they know better than paid professionals.

I think the fans' collective ignorance is even worse in hockey than in other sports because most people have at least some experience throwing a football, baseball, or basketball. Most hockey fans over the age of 30 in this area have never played hockey, but at least this might change in the future since youth hockey is a lot more popular in NJ now than it was 20 years ago.

Reactions: RUbacker
NJ fans definitely have a chip on their shoulder and when we have had some success, it’s attracted more of the “casual” fan who is also an obnoxious breed. They act like it’s pro sports.

I’m no innocent & have gotten rowdy myself but now that I have kids I see it differently. There is more cursing, aggressive behavior and lack of class especially evident vs PSU. I hope this changes as we emerge as more competitive in the conference and mature as a program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT