ADVERTISEMENT

I may actually hate (a good amount of) our fans...

Guilty conscience?
No, just not an ahole who wants to ruin people's lives over what they personally find offensive at a football game. Again, who made you a judge over what a fan can say at a football game and who gave you the right to then try and shame them and their families on the Internet and affect their work, children, and community based solely on your opinion and judgment. You must have a very large God complex.

NJ fans definitely have a chip on their shoulder and when we have had some success, it’s attracted more of the “casual” fan who is also an obnoxious breed. They act like it’s pro sports.

I’m no innocent & have gotten rowdy myself but now that I have kids I see it differently. There is more cursing, aggressive behavior and lack of class especially evident vs PSU. I hope this changes as we emerge as more competitive in the conference and mature as a program.

What is this? An intelligent coherent post? Not possible

NJ definitely has was more aggressive people. Our fan base reflects that. Much different than what you experience at a place like USC. It's night and day.

Reactions: Rokodesh
I'm sure at some point every game we'll make a boneheaded play and my emotions will get the best of me. Sorry, for caring too much. But maybe that's just me, win or lose I'm passionate about my allegiance. So here's a photo of me, feel free to post it in your thread of shame every week. I won't mind.

56cdb200e4b0c3e10da93f27_1_v1.jpg
Where is your beer

This is part of the reason I don't enjoy going to hockey games nearly as much as I used to. There's always a handful of out of shape bozos who have never laced up the skates throwing their hands up in disgust when a puck bounces over someone's stick blade, or the thousands of morons who yell "SHOOT" throughout entire powerplays as if they know better than paid professionals.

I think the fans' collective ignorance is even worse in hockey than in other sports because most people have at least some experience throwing a football, baseball, or basketball. Most hockey fans over the age of 30 in this area have never played hockey, but at least this might change in the future since youth hockey is a lot more popular in NJ now than it was 20 years ago.
Wait wait wait wait, so yer saying if they had "laced up the skates" thier opinions that irritate you would be ok then?

Wait wait wait wait, so yer saying if they had "laced up the skates" thier opinions that irritate you would be ok then?
I wonder if he would be okay with their opinions if they had, er, um, strapped it on?

Reactions: Bagarocks
If you don't think fans of other Big 10 programs act like this, you've led a very sheltered life.

Well, this certainly isn't true. I have traveled to multiple powerhouse programs throughout the years as I love tailgating and seeing different schools. Ole Miss will always be the standard to me. Talk about a fanbase that loves their players, win or lose (albeit they were winning when I went). Fournette scored a 60+ yard touchdown and instead of booing or critiquing the defenders, those fans understood there is ebb and flow to the game.

Nebraska also didn't say a bad thing about any player, though they couldn't stand Pelini (strangely in the most friendly of ways).

Heck, as much as I hate the cult that is Penn State, they certainly always have positive vibes when it comes to their players. Hackenberg was as turnover prone as it gets (as a Junior), and they still supported him. We could barely support a Mike Teel that was throwing for over 3,000 yards.

Washington was a nasty fanbase to the opponents (very UCONNesque), but they certainly were behind their team.

By the way, I'm not saying their was no critiques whatsoever when it came to discussing their teams. I talked to fans at all of these schools and they talked about position groups that needed to improve. But they certainly didn't show personal vendettas against individuals, AND they all seemed to realize there is more than 1 position on the football field.

This years trip is Ohio State.

What if multiple people take a picture of you...what then could kind of backfire on you

Not concerned. I've never said a negative thing about a player in public (you never know who is sitting next to you and my seats tend to be in a section with a lot of player's families). I've definitely been frustrated. The first Penn State game was on my birthday.

Instead of saying this guy stinks or why is he out there, try saying "We can't be making that type of play there". Because a true fan would understand that we are all in this Rutgers brotherhood together.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
Not to stereotype, but what the hell I will do it anyway, but what I find is that with few exceptions, the towns/cities where there is a NFL team. Some fans tend to treat college teams as if they are NFL teams and are extra harsh as a result.

It is ok to be extra harsh about NFL teams, players, GM, and coaches, and no one will think twice about it. But, to turn around and act the same way about college teams makes that same fan look like a total idiot and an asshole.

Well, this certainly isn't true. I have traveled to multiple powerhouse programs throughout the years as I love tailgating and seeing different schools. Ole Miss will always be the standard to me. Talk about a fanbase that loves their players, win or lose (albeit they were winning when I went). Fournette scored a 60+ yard touchdown and instead of booing or critiquing the defenders, those fans understood there is ebb and flow to the game.

Nebraska also didn't say a bad thing about any player, though they couldn't stand Pelini (strangely in the most friendly of ways).

Heck, as much as I hate the cult that is Penn State, they certainly always have positive vibes when it comes to their players. Hackenberg was as turnover prone as it gets (as a Junior), and they still supported him. We could barely support a Mike Teel that was throwing for over 3,000 yards.

Washington was a nasty fanbase to the opponents (very UCONNesque), but they certainly were behind their team.

By the way, I'm not saying their was no critiques whatsoever when it came to discussing their teams. I talked to fans at all of these schools and they talked about position groups that needed to improve. But they certainly didn't show personal vendettas against individuals, AND they all seemed to realize there is more than 1 position on the football field.

Not concerned. I've never said a negative thing about a player in public (you never know who is sitting next to you and my seats tend to be in a section with a lot of player's families). I've definitely been frustrated. The first Penn State game was on my birthday.

Instead of saying this guy stinks or why is he out there, try saying "We can't be making that type of play there". Because a true fan would understand that we are all in this Rutgers brotherhood together.
I don’t disagree with a word you said, but I vehemently disagree with you or anyone who believes the notion it doesn’t take place everywhere, and it’s some how unique to NJ.

That includes the supposed laid back fan of USC, where they’ll abandon the program and not show up...great support

I don’t disagree with a word you said, but I vehemently disagree with you or anyone who believes it doesn’t take place everywhere, and it’s some how unique to NJ.

It is not. I posted about the pro-fans who follow CFB too. But, anyone who has every listen to one of those SEC radio shows... the call ins...

I sat behind a large group of Ohio State fans last year. Apparently, J. K. Dobbins sucks because he got tackled too easily. And don't get me started on the D*ckhead Brigade that shows up for Michigan games. Don't ask them about how they like our stadium either...they only like it for the easy in-conference blowouts, they think everything else about it sucks. But keep right on thinking our Big Ten brethren are all great people who are exceptionally nice.

It is not. I posted about the pro-fans who follow CFB too. But, anyone who has every listen to one of those SEC radio shows... the call ins...

no way they could have ever found a football helmet to fit that skull or gotten the ear holes to align properly.

(my apologizes for being an overly harsh NJ critic who has never been to another B1G stadium before..other than MD, knows where not playing Princeton and Colgate anymore, may have at times gotten frustrated at a QB for play, and mostly focuses the critique on the coaches).

I don’t disagree with a word you said, but I vehemently disagree with you or anyone who believes the notion it doesn’t take place everywhere, and it’s some how unique to NJ.

That includes the supposed laid back fan of USC, where they’ll abandon the program and not show up...great support

Abandoning the team and running down kids and yelling at fellow fans isn't the same. I've been to more USC and Rutgers games than I can count over the years. It's night and day. I promise you. I think USC fans go to cheer for their team. At Rutgers, you get a sense they are more interested in jeering the other team. Or their own, depending on the score. NJ has a lot more guys that like to act tough. It ain't for everyone.

Never mind somewhere like Iowa or Nebraska. Fan bases are very different across the board from my experience.

Reactions: BaseballFan913

These guys would disagree about calling out players and they ain't Rutgers fans.

On Saturday I rolled into the practice to kill a few hours and see what a college football practice looked like. I came away really impressed with how organized and fluid the practice ran. No one was ever not doing anything to make themselves better/stronger/ready.

That being said, I sat in a few different areas and had the same horrendous experience with fans sitting behind me.

Could you imagine being a middle aged man (who probably hit their ceiling in pop warner ball) coming to an amateur practice and talking about how a freshman sucks bc he made some freshman mistakes? All the while not knowing any of the details of what the QB and coaching staff were working on. Not knowing if it even was the QBs fault or if a receiver ran a wrong route or if a third string lineman got beat and rushed a play OR whatever else was seen in the film session after practice.

I mean, I'm used to it. As a season ticket holder, ever since I graduated from the student section (back when we showed up) in 2010, I've been surrounded by the endless criticism (only some deserved) that clouds our entire program like the ooze in Ghostbuster 2. God forbid we support our players when they make a mistake, rather than give every quarterback we have had in this program a complex.

And last point, remember that it isn't important what mistakes ANY of the players made in practice this week matter. What matters is whether or not they learned from it during film sessions and if they avoid making them in the future.

Most of them are pretty ugly too. LOL

People in general just like to run their mouths and think those around them give a crap about what they think whether you’re from NJ or Oregon or Florida.

Personally I keep quiet during the game, then release my rage on anyone who drives too slow in front of me on the way home, then I drink until I black out when I get home.

In all seriousness... anyone who thinks they’re “letting the coaches and players have it” when things arent going well is sadly over-estimating their worth. Coaches and players couldn’t give any less of a sh$t about what you think.

Last edited:
Not to stereotype, but what the hell I will do it anyway, but what I find is that with few exceptions, the towns/cities where there is a NFL team. Some fans tend to treat college teams as if they are NFL teams and are extra harsh as a result.

It is ok to be extra harsh about NFL teams, players, GM, and coaches, and no one will think twice about it. But, to turn around and act the same way about college teams makes that same fan look like a total idiot and an asshole.

Agree. There is a certain segment of the local NFL fans that apply the same performance standards to CFB teams, demanding a level of play that is unrealistic.

But if they buy RU season tix then they should be heard.

Ha no, my point is if they had actually played the sport they would have a better understanding of what is actually going on down there and would know, for example, that taking shots from bad angles or trying to shoot when there is a penalty killer in the shooting lane is a good way to waste a powerplay.

People in general just like to run their mouths and think those around them give a crap about what they think whether you’re from NJ or Oregon or Florida.

Personally I keep quiet during the game, then release my rage on anyone who drives too slow in front of me on the way home, then I drink until I black out when I get home.

In all seriousness... anyone who thinks they’re “letting the coaches and players have it” when things arent going well is sadly over-estimating their worth. Coaches and players couldn’t any give less of a sh$t what you think.

Probably the best post in this site's history.

In all seriousness... anyone who thinks they’re “letting the coaches and players have it” when things arent going well is sadly over-estimating their worth. Coaches and players couldn’t any give less of a sh$t what you think.

Also, is this you???

I generally reserve my griping for play calls, predictability, refs calls, misuse of the clock. Actual play.. I get disappointed.. dropped balls, missed tackles, but if it is a coach putting them in a bad situation, I'll gripe about that.. not about player failures.. unless it is simply effort.

An example might be all the crap that Cioffi got for getting trucked over.. I applaud Cioffi for getting there, in position, a bit too late with his legs in a bad spot.. instead of griping about that missed opportunity.

dear op:

put in another 20 or 30 years, then give me your opinion.

thank so much

dear op:

put in another 20 or 30 years, then give me your opinion.

thank so much
that is no excuse.. are you saying 20-30 years ago you'd never slam the players but its okay today after 20-30 years of "fandom"?

btw.. quitters.. no effort plays.. they deserve whatever they get.. chorus of boos.. etc.

In all seriousness... anyone who thinks they’re “letting the coaches and players have it” when things arent going well is sadly over-estimating their worth. Coaches and players couldn’t give any less of a sh$t about what you think.
Spot on. I always find it laughable when people think they are upholding team standards or something by voicing their displeasure over missed plays as if the player who made the mistake would otherwise think to himself, "Hmm I dropped the ball there but the fans don't seem too upset so I guess I'm good."

Last edited:
I've made it a personal policy to only boo sportsmanship problems and coaching decisions when it comes to college games. I never boo players for simple sucking. That being said, a fan who actually bothers to show up can do anything he or she wants to do that is not abusive or disrespectful to those sitting nearby. Expressing negative opinions does not fall into that category.

And it's not the "negative media" that creates this. Sure, the pro sports mentality that dominates in New Jersey -- I mean, really, think about the reputations of New York and Philadelphia fans -- plays a huge role in it. But it's just not a big deal. Let's face it, winning seven or eight games and going to a minor bowl to play Ball State or somesuch sure seemed like enough for most fans. And there are plenty of programs that seem to get overwhelming support, but one seven-win season and crappy bowl is going to have their coach run out of town. And that's with ass-kissing media coverage and cradle-to-grave fandom.

There is no rule on how to be a proper fan. There are ignorant dickheads in every fan base, and pollyanna simpletons in every fan base. New Jersey people are more vocal about being the former. Don't lose any sleep fretting over it, and don't go around proclaiming how you're a superior fan. You're not. You're just different.

On Saturday I rolled into the practice to kill a few hours and see what a college football practice looked like. I came away really impressed with how organized and fluid the practice ran. No one was ever not doing anything to make themselves better/stronger/ready.

That being said, I sat in a few different areas and had the same horrendous experience with fans sitting behind me.

Could you imagine being a middle aged man (who probably hit their ceiling in pop warner ball) coming to an amateur practice and talking about how a freshman sucks bc he made some freshman mistakes? All the while not knowing any of the details of what the QB and coaching staff were working on. Not knowing if it even was the QBs fault or if a receiver ran a wrong route or if a third string lineman got beat and rushed a play OR whatever else was seen in the film session after practice.

I mean, I'm used to it. As a season ticket holder, ever since I graduated from the student section (back when we showed up) in 2010, I've been surrounded by the endless criticism (only some deserved) that clouds our entire program like the ooze in Ghostbuster 2. God forbid we support our players when they make a mistake, rather than give every quarterback we have had in this program a complex.

And last point, remember that it isn't important what mistakes ANY of the players made in practice this week matter. What matters is whether or not they learned from it during film sessions and if they avoid making them in the future.

been to college game all across the country over may yrs. been going to ru games 30 + yrs. IMO, RU fans are by far and away the worst i've seen. Their knowledge of the game is laughable and far too many of them show up for the bigger name teams drunk and slobbering. They are an embarrassment!.... Afetr 2006 the quality of the fans nose dived...losing brought disinterest and those people left. In the last 5 yrs , the RU fan base has once again fallen off the cliff. Drunks galore....and the nonsense you hear from your seat is astonishing!......Typical RU....typical NJ.....sad!

been to college game all across the country over may yrs. been going to ru games 30 + yrs. IMO, RU fans are by far and away the worst i've seen. Their knowledge of the game is laughable and far too many of them show up for the bigger name teams drunk and slobbering. They are an embarrassment!.... Afetr 2006 the quality of the fans nose dived...losing brought disinterest and those people left. In the last 5 yrs , the RU fan base has once again fallen off the cliff. Drunks galore....and the nonsense you hear from your seat is astonishing!......Typical RU....typical NJ.....sad!
Wow, you need to come sit in my section of the Kiddie Corral. I must be oblivious to all this nonsense you just laid out in my little section of hell. The worst we get is crying if dad doesn't bring back the ice cream quick enough.

I guess you've been around longer than me so know better,:rolleyes: I've only been a season ticket holder for 16 years. But I rarely if ever see a fight, sure a couple of drunks(where don't you except BYU?), but the stadium isn't littered with them like you suggest. Never knew our fanbase was the scum of the earth like you suggest.

Question, if it's so bad like you suggest why do you attend? Kind of like, if I want to go on a Sunday drive, it's certainly not going to be through Camden.

Last edited:
People in general just like to run their mouths and think those around them give a crap about what they think whether you’re from NJ or Oregon or Florida. Personally I keep quiet during the game, then release my rage on anyone who drives too slow in front of me on the way home, then I drink until I black out when I get home...

You too huh.

Great second post, n00b

Reactions: mdh2003
This is part of the reason I don't enjoy going to hockey games nearly as much as I used to. There's always a handful of out of shape bozos who have never laced up the skates throwing their hands up in disgust when a puck bounces over someone's stick blade, or the thousands of morons who yell "SHOOT" throughout entire powerplays as if they know better than paid professionals.

I think the fans' collective ignorance is even worse in hockey than in other sports because most people have at least some experience throwing a football, baseball, or basketball. Most hockey fans over the age of 30 in this area have never played hockey, but at least this might change in the future since youth hockey is a lot more popular in NJ now than it was 20 years ago.

Go to a thoroughbred track and listen to the guys scream in jockey faces after a race about how to ride a 1,000 pound animal going 40 mph.

Reactions: RUBigFrank
Go to a thoroughbred track and listen to the guys scream in jockey faces after a race about how to ride a 1,000 pound animal going 40 mph.
Our fans are becoming Mickey Mouse of the big ten . We need to have some class and step up guys.

ADVERTISEMENT