ADVERTISEMENT

I think Chris Ash is the Best X's and O's Coach we've ever had

I did a deep dive in the archives during the Schiano hire mass hysteria because there was a lot of claims about who supported what candidate back when Ash was hired.

The end result was that Ash was NOT a consensus candidate. He was pr-announced and THEN people began to support the hire. And there was criticism too.. of course. The expected.. "never a head coach".. not an offensive mind.. no Jersey ties.. etc. But people wanted to show support for the new guy.

But then you have guys like Al who went way too far. In retrospect, it should have been easy to see that the Co-DC thing at OSU likely meant Luke Fickell was the real brain behind that defense and moving Ash out was something Meyer did not care about.
All I’m saying is @rutgersal wasn’t alone here.

Al ya gotta be off yer meds again.
Go to the medicine cabinet and get back...

I did a deep dive in the archives during the Schiano hire mass hysteria because there was a lot of claims about who supported what candidate back when Ash was hired.

The end result was that Ash was NOT a consensus candidate. He was pr-announced and THEN people began to support the hire. And there was criticism too.. of course. The expected.. "never a head coach".. not an offensive mind.. no Jersey ties.. etc. But people wanted to show support for the new guy.

But then you have guys like Al who went way too far. In retrospect, it should have been easy to see that the Co-DC thing at OSU likely meant Luke Fickell was the real brain behind that defense and moving Ash out was something Meyer did not care about.

He wasn't a horrible defensive coordinator.

Can we re-open all the threads that were locked when anyone criticized Ash. It was as if we finally got a great up and coming coach and no one should be saying anything negative. Hopefully the moderators learned a lesson from that one.
Yet here we are a few years later and no one is allowed to criticize the schiano hire otherwise you’re a penn state troll... lol

This is so embarrassing for all of you.
I never liked ash from the beginning.
Thought he was a horrible hire from the get go.
Probably tied with Shea for the worst coach in Rutgers Football History.
And, some of you were the same ones who didn’t want Schiano to return!!! SMH
Can you put me in the boat of someone who didn’t like either hire? Lol

Reactions: ru1869
He wasn't a horrible defensive coordinator.
did we try to hire Fickell first?

Fickell
2002–2003 Ohio State (ST)
2004 Ohio State (LB)
2005–2010 Ohio State (co-DC/LB)
2011 Ohio State (interim HC)
2012–2016 Ohio State (co-DC/LB)
2017–present Cincinnati

Ash
2002–2005 Iowa State (DB)
2006 Iowa State (DB/RC)
2007–2008 San Diego State (DB/RC)
2009 Iowa State (DB/RC)
2010 Wisconsin (DB)
2011–2012 Wisconsin (DC/DB)
2013 Arkansas (DC/DB)
2014–2015 Ohio State (co-DC/S)
2016–2019 Rutgers

Come on now.. Fickell was the better candidate.. more responsible for Ohio State's defense. Why did we get Ash instead of Fickell?

Hopefully we won't have to make a new hire for a long time... but if we don't learn from our mistakes and try to repeat our successes.. shame on us.

Reactions: Bilderberg_News

Fickell
2004 Ohio State (LB)
2017–present Cincinnati

Ash
2006 Iowa State (DB/RC)
2009 Iowa State (DB/RC)
2010 Wisconsin (DB)
2013 Arkansas (DC/DB)
2016–2019 Rutgers

Come on now.. Fickell was the better candidate.. more responsible for Ohio State's defense. Why did we get Ash instead of Fickell?

Hopefully we won't have to make a new hire for a long time... but if we don't learn from our mistakes and try to repeat our successes.. shame on us.

Some stability would be nice from now on.....

Absolutely!!!
As long as it’s noted early. I will absolutely eat crow if I’m wrong but let the record show I believe schiano was not only a bad hire but a destructive one. I don’t believe he has what it takes to turn around our program but worse than that our fans are putting every ounce of stock they have into him so what happens if he fails? What do those fans who have been screaming how greg was our last hope do when he fails? Just my 2 cents, hope I’m wrong

Al is who he is and makes these boards better.

You, of course, are entitled to your opinion. But I have arrived at the conclusion that Al says outrageous things for attention. And he does it on competitors boards as well.

When someone acts the fool they should be prepared to be treated like one. And, yes, I defended him here for a long time, purely based on his enthusiasm. He took it way too far.. making it about him.. trying to one-up himself. And that is my opinion.

Reactions: tico brown
As long as it’s noted early. I will absolutely eat crow if I’m wrong but let the record show I believe schiano was not only a bad hire but a destructive one. I don’t believe he has what it takes to turn around our program but worse than that our fans are putting every ounce of stock they have into him so what happens if he fails? What do those fans who have been screaming how greg was our last hope do when he fails? Just my 2 cents, hope I’m wrong

You are wrong.

Reactions: ChasRC69

oh boy!!!
Are you ever going to regret this post.
I believe Schiano will be one of the best, if not the best coach Rutgers has ever had.

oh boy!!!
Are you ever going to regret this post.
I believe Schiano will be one of the best, if not the best coach Rutgers has ever had.
Hey listen he's already the best coach we've ever had based on what he did in the past. My concern is what he's done since he left. Jimmy Johnson is one of the best coaches in Cowboys history but there was no way they were going to hire him back as he hasn't been a HC in years... the schiano hire to me was something very similar. IMO it was pure nostalgia for our older fans. Like I said I hope I'm wrong and I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong.

That said I'm in early on this making it clear where I stand on Schiano so in a few years if we are in a similar place people realize no I'm not just jumping on Greg because it's easy, I've been against hiring him back from the start! (Let the record show I also always offered who I believed to be the best attainable hire for us which is Mike Houston from ECU and JMU before that)

Hey listen he's already the best coach we've ever had based on what he did in the past. My concern is what he's done since he left. Jimmy Johnson is one of the best coaches in Cowboys history but there was no way they were going to hire him back as he hasn't been a HC in years... the schiano hire to me was something very similar. IMO it was pure nostalgia for our older fans. Like I said I hope I'm wrong and I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong.

That said I'm in early on this making it clear where I stand on Schiano so in a few years if we are in a similar place people realize no I'm not just jumping on Greg because it's easy, I've been against hiring him back from the start! (Let the record show I also always offered who I believed to be the best attainable hire for us which is Mike Houston from ECU and JMU before that)

you’re against Greg because you don’t understand what it takes to be successful at Rutgers.

-95% of our problem is landing the right players. Greg’s bonds with the NJ High School Coaching establishment will allow him to identify prospects early, and successfully recruit a good portion of them. His success will be predicated on developing the right 2 and 3 stars into competitive Big Ten Players. Hopefully we can also land a sprinkling of 4 stars too.

- Greg has the right recruiting strategy and ties for Rutgers recruiting the state of Rutgers and Florida. I don’t want our head coach to have to figure out which areas work best for Rutgers

- Greg has sent a fair amount of kids to the NFL from Rutgers

- As DC, Greg helped Ohio State win 3 straight Big Ten Championships from 2016-2018. Not sure why you would discount this.

you’re against Greg because you don’t understand what it takes to be successful at Rutgers.

-95% of our problem is landing the right players. Greg’s bonds with the NJ High School Coaching establishment will allow him to identify prospects early, and successfully recruit a good portion of them. His success will be predicated on developing the right 2 and 3 stars into competitive Big Ten Players. Hopefully we can also land a sprinkling of 4 stars too.

- Greg has the right recruiting strategy and ties for Rutgers recruiting the state of Rutgers and Florida. I don’t want our head coach to have to figure out which areas work best for Rutgers

- As DC, Greg helped Ohio State win 3 straight Big Ten Championships from 2016-2018. Not sure why you would discount this.
Al, please don't feed the imbecile.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSGS

Well since you want to know here it goes. Greg Schiano does not have the cache with new jersey coaches the way that James Franklin, Nick Saban, Ryan Day and others do. Greg Schiano has been an embarrasment as a coach really since he left rutgers, he completely bombed in tampa bay and bounced around analyst jobs before working at Ohio State.

You ask me why I discredit Ohio State's DC's? Well because their previous DC who won a national championship with them was named Chris Ash.... do I really need to expand further? Maybe I do since you predicted Ash was a "worlds better" on the field coach that Schiano....

No Al the reality is you are married to the idea of Schiano because you still view Rutgers as the same program it was in 2006 and bringing Greg back just instantly gets us back there, you are putting every ounce of stock you have into schiano... that's the problem! What other program wanted Greg Schiano as their HC while we were bidding against ourselves this hire?

More than that though what happens if you are wrong about Schiano? (now granted I know you are used to your predictions being wrong but I have a feeling schiano is different with you). What happens if he fails? Are you going to actually eat crow and admit you were wrong for once in your life or continue to make outlandish predictions that we all know aren't possible. Hell if we were on track with your predictions since you started them we'd have just won our 7th National Championship and Alabama, LSU and Clemson would be scared to play us! lolol Clown

Fickell
2004 Ohio State (LB)
2017–present Cincinnati

Ash
2006 Iowa State (DB/RC)
2009 Iowa State (DB/RC)
2010 Wisconsin (DB)
2013 Arkansas (DC/DB)
2016–2019 Rutgers

I actually remember posting a thread of potential candidtes just before Flood was fired since the writing was on the wall. I mentioned Fickell. EVERYONE was opposed. There were even Buckeye fans on the board that said he was overrated and that it was Ash's defense.

I didn't have Ash on that list bc I didn't know who he was, much like ever NJ recruit. In all fairness, I was for Joe Moglia, who doesn't even coach anymore.

Reactions: eceres

And whom would you have hired over Schiano?

You really think Houston would be better for Rutgers than Schiano??!!!

Have you been a Rutgers fan long?

Do you know what it is like to coach at Rutgers in New Jersey??!!!

You really do need a special kind of a coach and one who knows NJ.

Well since you want to know here it goes. Greg Schiano does not have the cache with new jersey coaches the way that James Franklin, Nick Saban, Ryan Day and others do. Greg Schiano has been an embarrasment as a coach really since he left rutgers, he completely bombed in tampa bay and bounced around analyst jobs before working at Ohio State.

You ask me why I discredit Ohio State's DC's? Well because their previous DC who won a national championship with them was named Chris Ash.... do I really need to expand further? Maybe I do since you predicted Ash was a "worlds better" on the field coach that Schiano....

No Al the reality is you are married to the idea of Schiano because you still view Rutgers as the same program it was in 2006 and bringing Greg back just instantly gets us back there, you are putting every ounce of stock you have into schiano... that's the problem! What other program wanted Greg Schiano as their HC while we were bidding against ourselves this hire?

More than that though what happens if you are wrong about Schiano? (now granted I know you are used to your predictions being wrong but I have a feeling schiano is different with you). What happens if he fails? Are you going to actually eat crow and admit you were wrong for once in your life or continue to make outlandish predictions that we all know aren't possible. Hell if we were on track with your predictions since you started them we'd have just won our 7th National Championship and Alabama, LSU and Clemson would be scared to play us! lolol Clown
Schiano does not have the cache?

The NJFCA adopted a resolution imploring Rutgers to back to the table with Schiano when negotiations broke down. After they resurrected the deal they did this:

https://www.mycentraljersey.com/sto...well-attended-meeting-of-all-time/2591686001/

Read some the coaches comments...

I apologize for heeding my own advice to Al.

Reactions: ChasRC69 and eceres

I’m going to chime in as it is well known that I wasn’t a fan of Greg coming back, at all...and then the last 2 years happened. It left us in a place where he became one of my top choices, not as a savior or quick fix but to right the ship quickly.
And, we became his best option, not because of coaching skills but because of Tenn.
That said, you mention not having the cache of those 3 coaches but is it the coach or the elite school they are at. Greg was recruiter of the year at OSU.
I also had doubts based on his performance as OSU Co- DC but then I fully expect and know he is a better HC than Ash who did better as OSU and based on performance as Co-DC OSU, you would be putting Halfey above Schiano.
I don’t expect miracles and to be honest, he has impressed me so far. Now I want to see his on the field improvement from where he was

Well since you want to know here it goes. Greg Schiano does not have the cache with new jersey coaches the way that James Franklin, Nick Saban, Ryan Day and others do.
Since your first sentence is utter bullshit, that's as far as I read. You do realize that if the four 4* transfer players were included in the class ranking we'd have a top 25 class? He did that in a month. HS coaches were literally saying they wouldn't send kids to RU anymore if they didn't hire Schiano. My Twitter feed is blowing up with daily tweets from coaches saying "Thanks Greg, Nunz, Fran, Panagos etc for visiting today." Haven't seen that in YEARS. These guys are out there working the state harder than any staff ever has. Wait till the 2021 commits start rolling in before you trash their recruiting.

Schiano does not have the cache?

The NJFCA adopted a resolution imploring Rutgers to back to the table with Schiano when negotiations broke down. After they resurrected the deal they did this:

https://www.mycentraljersey.com/sto...well-attended-meeting-of-all-time/2591686001/

Read some the coaches comments...

I apologize for heeding my own advice to Al.
All well and good but until they put up I’d rather they shut up.
Since your first sentence is utter bullshit, that's as far as I read. You do realize that if the four 4* transfer players were included in the class ranking we'd have a top 25 class? He did that in a month. HS coaches were literally saying they wouldn't send kids to RU anymore if they didn't hire Schiano. My Twitter feed is blowing up with daily tweets from coaches saying "Thanks Greg, Nunz, Fran, Panagos etc for visiting today." Haven't seen that in YEARS. These guys are out there working the state harder than any staff ever has. Wait till the 2021 commits start rolling in before you trash their recruiting.
The transfer thing is great. Awesome actually.

But let’s see how he and the rest of the staff do with the HS recruits going forward.

But let’s see how he and the rest of the staff do with the HS recruits going forward.
Yup. The proof will be in the pudding as they say. He'll have to show improvements on the field for the initial bump to turn into sustained impact.

As much as I want to support anyone's right to his opinion, the number of posts by the OP shows he hasn't been around here too much and very possibly the program itself.
I would suggest that he find another program to root for since, like it or not, NJ and RU are "all in" on Schiano and he will be here for some time.

As much as I want to support anyone's right to his opinion, the number of posts by the OP shows he hasn't been around here too much and very possibly the program itself.
I would suggest that he find another program to root for since, like it or not, NJ and RU are "all in" on Schiano and he will be here for some time.
All true but I also notice that almost all of his football related posts for the last two months keep saying the same drivel. Fine we get it you are not ALL in on Schiano....my advice STFU about it until after he is gone.

And whom would you have hired over Schiano?

You really think Houston would be better for Rutgers than Schiano??!!!

Have you been a Rutgers fan long?

Do you know what it is like to coach at Rutgers in New Jersey??!!!

You really do need a special kind of a coach and one who knows NJ.
I've outlined it many times. Houston has had a tremendous amount of success recruiting new jersey. His JMU teams had guys he recruited from every major school in jersey. Paramus, Don Bosco, Peddie, Bergen, Depaul, etc. He had guys from all those schools that were major contributors.

I'm also of the belief that Virginia and North Carolina are untapped hotbeds. Everyone goes to Florida to recruit, I know guys like Al think that Florida is this untapped amazing recruiting ground and 15 years ago it was but now EVERY school recruits Florida, meanwhile I look at the team to our East in Penn State and guys like Trace Mcsorely, Deon Butler, Gross-Matos, Desean Hamilton, and Evan Royster are all coming out of Virginia. THAT is the state that I believe is a hidden gem and there's no one better than Houston.

I'm also very much a "what have you done for me lately" type of thinker when it comes to football, Greg has done nothing since 2013 to Warrant a HC job. There is a reason why 7 years since his last HC job he was still available with only one team (Rutgers) interested.
Time will tell however I always wanted to present the alternative when I criticize the hiring of Schiano (I've been against Schiano for over a year and calling for Houston since 2018)

Transfers of 1 year rental players is not the same as a Hs recruiting class, not even close. I’ll be interested to see what happens over the next few years. I’d like to see Greg land three 4* or better recruits next cycle straight from HS. I’m not expecting anything this year on the field but that would have been the case with any coach. Save my posts, let’s revisit in 4 years

I was a student at Rutgers from 07-11 I remember Greg very well. I’ll ease up but I’m not going to not voice when I believe my Alma mater settled on a coach. I encourage all of you to save my posts. I’ve been the first to say I will gladly eat crow if I’m wrong.

There is no inconsistency between what I previously posted and what is in the original post here.
We have a strong head coach, but some of the staff, including the OC and the OL coach, will be in their roles for the first time. There will likely be learning curves involved, and while I'm hoping for the best, there is also a possibility that there will be growing pains.

Furthermore, going from Fridge two years ago to a rookie OC this year gives me trepidation. But nevertheless, I've been following Mehringer on Twitter, and appreciate his enthusiasm, and hope he does well.
Where would be without Mehringer’s twitter enthusiasm.

LOL to everyone here arguing with a PSU troll, which is exactly what yessir321 is. He won't eat crow if/when he is wrong about Schiano, he'll just disappear into the woodwork like he did before RU re-hired Schiano.

I take it as a very good sign for the direction of the program that we are relevant again to PSU trolls! During the Ash error, they couldn't be bothered posting here and trying to trAsh our program, our HC did that all by himself.

Reactions: ATIOH
ADVERTISEMENT