ADVERTISEMENT

I think this team will be better than last year

mugrat86

All American
Gold Member
Dec 11, 2014
I feel like everyone on team deferred to Geo and Harper, therefore there was a lot of indecision and standing around watching.

There is no question that Paul is this year’s leader and his unselfish play leads to games like yesterday where everyone got involved in rebounding, shooting, passing and defending. Paul is going to make Cliff such a better player than we have seen thus far. Guys like Caleb, Simpson, and Mag IMO are also going to flourish as a result of no longer relying on RHJ and Geo.

If we could limit Mag and Hyatt’s three point shooting and instead have them concentrate on blocks then sky’s the limit for this team. We need to maintain intensity on defense and rebounding.

I feel like everyone on team deferred to Geo and Harper, therefore there was a lot of indecision and standing around watching.

There is no question that Paul is this year’s leader and his unselfish play leads to games like yesterday where everyone got involved in rebounding, shooting, passing and defending. Paul is going to make Cliff such a better player than we have seen thus far. Guys like Caleb, Simpson, and Mag IMO are also going to flourish as a result of no longer relying on RHJ and Geo.

If we could limit Mag and Hyatt’s three point shooting and instead have them concentrate on blocks then sky’s the limit for this team. We need to maintain intensity on defense and rebounding.
This was a outstanding win but lets not forget Rutgers only scored 63 points in front of a highly supportive crowd.The 3 point scoring must improve even at RAC games.Mulcahy and Simpson are key players moving forward.Spencer performance the last two games were very disappointing because his outside scoring is needed.Attending games at the RAC are always a exhilarating experience because of the crowd noise and its impact on opponent performance.

This was a outstanding win but lets not forget Rutgers only scored 63 points in front of a highly supportive crowd.The 3 point scoring must improve even at RAC games.Mulcahy and Simpson are key players moving forward.Spencer performance the last two games were very disappointing because his outside scoring is needed.Attending games at the RAC are always a exhilarating experience because of the crowd noise and its impact on opponent performance.
Indiana is a very good defensive team. Scoring only 63 in this game is ok

2 questions to ask
1. What is our ceiling offensively? We haven’t been good offensively in any of our 3 real games
2. How sustainable is the energy we played with on the defensive end?

I love how we played yesterday. I just don’t know through a grind of a long season if this team has the ability to take things to a higher level.

Obviously you make the tournament and see what happens. You need to get hot at the right time.

I fear that there is no way we can play like yesterday and still be fresh by Mid March. Pike has to use the bench.

Reactions: bac2therac
The team is certainly deeper and more balanced

However geo and Ron are key loses. Even though deeper and more balanced don’t have two go-to guys who can take over games and take the key shots

If there is a combination that can give us more scoring that same combination. May not execute defensively up to the “Rutgers standard”.

I think we need to try and win knowing 75+% of time we aren’t breaking 1.00 PPP.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
True about our 63 points but let's give Indiana a little credit too. They are a very good defensive team.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Benchmark for that is 18-14 … with Paul might be 7-0. Let’s see how the next game goes. Tough ask on the road.

Reactions: wheezer
Who pissed in your cheerios?

You do not want to limit Hyatt’s three point shooting. He needs to shoot 5–8 a game especially if open. With Paul and Caleb and now Derek as offensive options along with Cliff and Cam , Hyatt will or should be open for threes as Paul and Caleb and even Cam will find him. He has to really practice his driving and post ups to convert his layups. Those misses are a killer.

What a ridiculous point about yesterday ‘s game. We held 75 point scoring Indiana to 48. We scored 63 without Cliff or Cam’s normal 32 point contribution. I know ideally your point which you mention over and over again is we have to score 70 to win but you couldn’t be more lost or off point here. Try understanding what you watched yesterday , a defensive beat down.

What a ridiculous point about yesterday ‘s game. We held 75 point scoring Indiana to 48. We scored 63 without Cliff or Cam’s normal 32 point contribution. I know ideally your point which you mention over and over again is we have to score 70 to win but you couldn’t be more lost or off point here. Try understanding what you watched yesterday , a defensive beat down.
Totally agree. What he is not taking into consideration is how tiring that type of defensive effort entails. That leads to tired legs on jumpers

Let’s win a road game first. Pike isn’t too keen on that even with his more experienced teams
He beat Purdue at thei place which would have gotten us in to dance if it wasn’t canceled but hate to rain on your parade

Felt they would be better than last year all along. Still a ways to go, however. Cam also needs to step up and I think he will.

63 points against a good defense... with Cliff on the bench and Cam with an off night while winning by double digits against the 10th ranked undefeated team

I'm not seeing the concern here
Typical Pike haters spewing their venom

Reactions: knight82
63 points against a good defense... with Cliff on the bench and Cam with an off night while winning by double digits against the 10th ranked undefeated team

I'm not seeing the concern here
Not seeing it either based on yesterday’s game. Had the game been closer at the end, we’d have broken 70 because they would’ve put us at the line intentionally a couple more times.

Reactions: Scangg and mugrat86
And minnesota in 2021 .
Otherwise you think the road record is good ?
It’s not. But without doing the math I’m guessing the neutral record is worse than the road for Pike’s tenure. And that’s with MSG considered neutral.

And minnesota in 2021 .
Otherwise you think the road record is good ?
Winning on the road in BIG1G is difficult. We are not a blue blood team who is going to win a lot of road games in this conference. If they win almost all games at home and win a few on the road, all is good. To say we stink on the road is just dumb. How did we do on road before Pike?

Last year they beat MD, Penn St, Wisconsin and Indiana on road

Last edited:
Reactions: RutgHoops
Winning on the road in BIG1G is difficult. We are not a blue blood team who is going to win a lot of road games in this conference. If they win almost all games at home and win a few on the road, all is good. To say we stink on the road is just dumb. How did we do on road before Pike?
What is a blue blood in basketball ? I mean Kentucky ? They got beat by St. Peter’s. Duke ? They have had their share of bad March losses. We don’t play many blue bloods on the road in the BIG . So not sure what you mean.

I love pike . He’s a rutgers hall of famer . He has made the sport fun again . He also doesn’t walk on water and is open to criticism in an area his team struggles.
He Le

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
What is a blue blood in basketball ? I mean Kentucky ? They got beat by St. Peter’s. Duke ? They have had their share of bad March losses. We don’t play many blue bloods on the road in the BIG . So not sure what you mean.

I love pike . He’s a rutgers hall of famer . He has made the sport fun again . He also doesn’t walk on water and is open to criticism in an area his team struggles.
He Le
Dude no BIG1G team dominates on road. You act like we never win road games. Like I said, last year they had 5 road wins and we came in fourth in conference. I think you need to readjust your expectations

Dude no BIG1G team dominates on road. You act like we never win road games. Like I said, last year they had 5 road wins and we came in fourth in conference. I think you need to readjust your expectations
My expectation is a loss on Thursday . I hope we go 3-7 on the road and would be thrilled with 4-6. I need to adjust ?

You are such a typical Debbie downer RU fan. Just enjoy the win for a few days.
I am enjoying it lol. Then you want to argue about pike’s road record and told me to adjust expectations. Then I give you my expectations and you tell me I am a Debbie downer . I can’t be both an expectation adjuster and Debbie downer.

Reactions: dconifer
I am enjoying it lol. Then you want to argue about pike’s road record and told me to adjust expectations. Then I give you my expectations and you tell me I am a Debbie downer . I can’t be both an expectation adjuster and Debbie downer.
Enjoying it is not saying they will lose next game and Pike sucks on road

Gotta believe Spencer will come around. Probably putting pressure on himself to show that he can play against this higher level competition.

For this team to be better than last year …and also be pike best team , here is my checklist

1.) get healthy and stay healthy
2.) use the bench regularly …Caleb can play 35, Paul 30, cliff 30, max 27 Everyone else
3.) continued unselfish play…this team is truly playing for each other
4.) intensity every night …whixh requires using the bench

I really don't think this team is better than last year. Don't get me wrong they will still be super competitive and give teams absolute Hell on defense, but that being said on paper last year's team is better. You never really replaced the scoring of Ron and Geo - don't fool yourself that is huge. You can argue that Simpson is a replacement for Geo, but I don't think anybody here is taking Freshman Simpson vs 5th Year Geo. And Ron, our main Go To was not at all replaced. The only thing you can point to is that all the players from last year are 1 more year seasoned with a couple of promising freshman and Cam. I think Cam will be a solid role player and contribute when all is said and done, but not a go to guy. Bottom line we lost our two big Go To guys last year and never came close to replacing them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT