ADVERTISEMENT

I Used To Have My Hated In-Conference Teams...

DirtyRU

All American
Gold Member
Nov 16, 2002
Shoe, Domers, Johnnies, Sarah, Pukon, Bergen Catholic North etc. But watching the B1G tourney and now March Madness, it dawned on me. Who do I hate in bball in our conference? The answer? None yet. Football is easy and obvious. But bball?

How do other people feel?

Reactions: RUonBrain
Just a matter of time, but Penn St. will probably head a lot of people's lists.

Good question.
In the BE if you disliked a school in one sport, the others were disliked naturally .
I find myself rooting for Michigan in MBB, but despise them in FB.
Penn St in MBB and every sport the Nits have probably fits my dislike them all , but the rest of B1G I needs more time to find out the schools that disgust me the most.
As it is, I can't even get up a bad feeling against Michigan except their FB program and Maryland isn't on my must hate list yet.
UConn and Syracuse came naturally in all sports, BIG programs, with the exception of PSU don't.

Reactions: ScarletDave
I'm enough of a contrarian to seldom agree totally with almost anything, but MADHAT1's post sums up just about exactly how I feel.

I guess I feel so lucky to be in the Big Ten that I can't be mad at any of them, with the obvious exception of Penn State. Hating Cuse, the Hall, Nova, UConn ... well that's as natural and normal as despising ND and Duke (oh yeah, and BC, if they still mattered.)

Individual coaches can inspire loathing for their respective programs -- thus the agreement on Michigan football, although I am more amused than annoyed by most of Jimmy's antics -- but that doesn't translate to the rest of the school.

I'm sure over time this will change, but as I am no longer local and not interacting with opposing fans, perhaps not. When it comes to the Big Ten, I'm just damn glad to be here.

Shoe, Domers, Johnnies, Sarah, Pukon, Bergen Catholic North etc. But watching the B1G tourney and now March Madness, it dawned on me. Who do I hate in bball in our conference? The answer? None yet. Football is easy and obvious. But bball?

Indiana ! Bobby Knight hasn't been there in a long time, but I also have a long memory.

Reactions: LC-88

Not like back in the day. Cuse- Louie and Bouie,Nova - Alex ? Kelvin Troy's nemesis, St. John's - Mullin and the center Bailey used to battle ( McCoy?) The Hall - from Ramsey, The Flaherty brothers, and the North Bergen dude who was lights out.
Hated them all and we used to win more than our fair share.

I really do not hate any of the Big 10 hoops programs right now...much different in football where I hate PSU, OSU, and Michigan

This Michigan basketball team is pretty easy to root for, based on the style they play and the way they carry themselves. I watched some of Baylor-USC, for example, and I would've easily rooted for USC even without the Baylor scandals just from how the Baylor guys act.

I tend to root against Maryland and PSU in hoops because they could be recruiting competition. I like how Wisconsin and MSU play, easy to root for again. I don't really think much of the rest one way or the other.

Many reason for OP's comments:

1. It will take years to build rivalries with schools in the Big 10 that we have never played. previously
2. We need to be relevant consistently in FB and BB.
3. In the Big East, we had natural rivalries due to geography and many years of playing each other

Reactions: Plum Street
I take pride in Rutgers being a member of the Big Ten and find myself rooting for all of them when they play out-of-conference opponents.

I have utmost disdain (note, I won't say hatred as this is just sports after-all) for Syracuse for all the garbage from their fans over the years. And I dislike the original Big East deserters BC and Miami. And from time to time, Connecticut.

And goes without saying, right behind Syracuse, there is Notre Dame due to all the self-centered power plays over the years.

In terms of Big Ten, I haven't developed any disdain. I don't mind Penn State. In fact, without them, we would be in a geographic island and would not have been invited. And it is nice to have them and Maryland relatively close. Also, I shouldn't say (since you are not supposed to say anything nice about him), but Joe Pa was lone wolf backing Rutgers to the Big Ten way back when.

I have found Michigan and Wisconsin fans to be a tad arrogant. Maybe I will grow to dislike them? But maybe it's the Midwest thing - the fans of the other schools are just not awful and actually quite nice. (Though maybe if we start beating them regularly they will become less "nice". I hope to find out).

Last edited:
Reactions: RURM85
Maryland and PSU for Bball to start. We'll see if natural rivalries evolve but that's the starting place due to geography. Plus every RU fan hates PSU

Not like back in the day. Cuse- Louie and Bouie,Nova - Alex ? Kelvin Troy's nemesis, St. John's - Mullin and the center Bailey used to battle ( McCoy?) The Hall - from Ramsey, The Flaherty brothers, and the North Bergen dude who was lights out.
Hated them all and we used to win more than our fair share.

Alex Bradley I believe is the Nova player you are referring to.

Oh our team of hatred is coming....

Wait until the first big game at the RAC against Maryland is played and a thousand of their fans come along for the ride.

They had a segment on Mike and Mike the other day how Northwestern fans are becoming arrogant like Duke fans without the years of success.

Hate Penn State in all sports. Women's soccer, Lax they are already rivalries. Bball hard not to see the rivalry developing there too.

I agree with above I despise Michigan FB and Harbo but have been rooting for them (and Wisconsin, Purdue) in basketball OOC and NCAA games.

I officially hate Northwestern and Maryland as well - NW it seems whenever we play them in a sport the refs are ridiculously favoring them and I don't get it because they have as much a winning tradition as us.. ever since the first women's Bball tourney in Chicago where they injured two of our players (and the only time I ever saw Cviv get a technical) all the way through this past men's tourney...plus their obnoxious preppy fans ... hate them.
UMD is easy to hate if you've ever attended a Rutgers Olympic sport against them. Their soccer fans are the worst. Absolute least favorite specific sport fan base of mine. Bball too. Hate them in football. Gymnastics, everything they always travel and wave a million of those stupid ugly flags and are in love with that flag and think they are just the best at everything and it's just very annoying. There was a thread on the main board about least favorite fan base and surprisingly Maryland was one of the most frequent ones listed, especially by their old ACC partners.

...There was a thread on the main board about least favorite fan base and surprisingly Maryland was one of the most frequent ones listed, especially by their old ACC partners.

To be fair, it's not possible to ask ACC fans about their opinions of Maryland without receiving extreme bias. They despise Maryland for destroying the "ACC tradition" (while ignoring the fact that all tradition within the ACC was gone long before Maryland left).

Reactions: Shimmy24
Definitely Penn State right now but can't say I truly hate them. The rivalries will need to build themselves in basketball. We have to start beating the same team a couple times every year in order for other teams to hate us and take us seriously. It'll happen eventually

Hate Penn State in all sports. Women's soccer, Lax they are already rivalries. Bball hard not to see the rivalry developing there too.

I agree with above I despise Michigan FB and Harbo but have been rooting for them (and Wisconsin, Purdue) in basketball OOC and NCAA games.

I officially hate Northwestern and Maryland as well - NW it seems whenever we play them in a sport the refs are ridiculously favoring them and I don't get it because they have as much a winning tradition as us.. ever since the first women's Bball tourney in Chicago where they injured two of our players (and the only time I ever saw Cviv get a technical) all the way through this past men's tourney...plus their obnoxious preppy fans ... hate them.
UMD is easy to hate if you've ever attended a Rutgers Olympic sport against them. Their soccer fans are the worst. Absolute least favorite specific sport fan base of mine. Bball too. Hate them in football. Gymnastics, everything they always travel and wave a million of those stupid ugly flags and are in love with that flag and think they are just the best at everything and it's just very annoying. There was a thread on the main board about least favorite fan base and surprisingly Maryland was one of the most frequent ones listed, especially by their old ACC partners.

MD has the best student section in the county for soccer, and it's not really close.

As for other fan bases disliking it, we all kind of love it. We're brash and we're loud and we're annoying, but we own it and we're passionate about it. I don't think anyone would apologize either.

MD has the best student section in the county for soccer, and it's not really close.

As for other fan bases disliking it, we all kind of love it. We're brash and we're loud and we're annoying, but we own it and we're passionate about it. I don't think anyone would apologize either.

It's definitely a cool thing, not something to apologize for. And if Rutgers fans think they've seen The Crew in a tizzy, they should attend a match between Maryland and an actual rival like UCLA or Duke or Virginia. When your squad is THE team of the last decade, fans will show up and be proud.

Nearly 10K people being rude as hell to the opposition in unison is a beautiful sight.

They had a segment on Mike and Mike the other day how Northwestern fans are becoming arrogant like Duke fans without the years of success.

Really? Sorry I missed it. Interesting that for many years Northwestern fans have been scorned for their apathy and now all of a sudden because we finally get fired up about our team we're arrogant.

Really? Sorry I missed it. Interesting that for many years Northwestern fans have been scorned for their apathy and now all of a sudden because we finally get fired up about our team we're arrogant.
The discussion wasn't about being fired up. By all means you should celebrate the bball team's success this year. It was about a level of arrogance not justified by previous success.

The discussion wasn't about being fired up. By all means you should celebrate the bball team's success this year. It was about a level of arrogance not justified by previous success.

I wasn't aware that any level of success justified arrogance, which is a very unattractive trait, but as a Northwestern fan of many years I find it very amusing that we're suddenly an arrogant fan base after 50-some years of being trashed by the Ohio States and Michigans of the world. Just another topic to fill the Interweb world.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Always Penn State...in Everything! Hated them in the A-10, Hate the now! The MD fans were beyond rude and annoying at the RAC...They have jumped to my most hated after Penn State. Find myself routing on everyone else (except when they play us).

This Michigan basketball team is pretty easy to root for, based on the style they play and the way they carry themselves. I watched some of Baylor-USC, for example, and I would've easily rooted for USC even without the Baylor scandals just from how the Baylor guys act.

I tend to root against Maryland and PSU in hoops because they could be recruiting competition. I like how Wisconsin and MSU play, easy to root for again. I don't really think much of the rest one way or the other.
It's never as much about the team as it is about the fanbase. Just can't stand Michigan fans. Smug aholes- all of them.

I wasn't aware that any level of success justified arrogance, which is a very unattractive trait, but as a Northwestern fan of many years I find it very amusing that we're suddenly an arrogant fan base after 50-some years of being trashed by the Ohio States and Michigans of the world. Just another topic to fill the Interweb world.
You are correct, truly successful people generally don't show arrogance or see the need to.

Root for the B10. just make sure you despise SHU and Nova. I still can't stand SHU (due to the laundry - Seinfeld reference), but Willard has done an outstanding job with that program. Pains me to say this!!!

ADVERTISEMENT