ADVERTISEMENT

If Cliff Is Hurting?

Ok
So if he in fact he’s dealing with lower back issues say it.
In no way does it affect or help the opposing team prepare for him, they’re going to break down game film and see it, or attack him the same way teams have the last three games .regardless.
There’s even people saying they think Caleb is hurting, if he is who ever he’s guarding knows it immediately
I disagree.

Put yourself in the OSU coaching staff's shoes. They're studying game film prior to the game on Sunday, right?

One of them is probably going to see what I'm talking about. But they won't know, any more than I know, if it's really a back thing, of if Cliff was just having an off game.

In a perfect world, the coaches can plan out the game and coach up the players for it and there's no "extra" stuff. Keep it simple because that's always the best thing for the players. Adding complications can make players think too much, which is usually not ideal.

If a coach knows for sure that Cliff has a lower back injury, then it's gonna be worth it to plan and coach some stuff that targets Cliff, making him twist and turn a lot. Try to exacerbate the problem, give him some back spasms ideally. But again, that's a little risky because you're taking time and brain-bandwidth away from just executing the normal game plan for RU. It might not pay off and, if Cliff's healed up, could backfire even.

If the OSU staff doesn't know for sure what's going on, then they are far less likely to gamble time on it. The risk/reward just isn't there.

And that's why, as the RU coach, you just don't talk about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arizona Knight
For sure, there's no call for anybody to be beating up on Cliff or his performance right now. He's shown enough to earn some slack from us fans if he's having an off game or two.

And it's a testament to how good a player he is for RU that we're calling his performance against NW "bad". It wasn't Cliff-like for sure. But it wasn't exactly bad, either. He made some critically important plays, rebounds and such, set some key picks, etc.

There's nobody else on the roster that could've done better, overall, at what we needed from a center in that game.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
I disagree.

Put yourself in the OSU coaching staff's shoes. They're studying game film prior to the game on Sunday, right?

One of them is probably going to see what I'm talking about. But they won't know, any more than know, if it's really a back thing, of if Cliff was just having an off game.

In a perfect world, the coaches can plan out the game and coach up the players for it and there's no "extra" stuff. Keep it simple because that's always the best thing for the players. Adding complications can make players think too much, which is usually not ideal.

If a coach knows for sure that Cliff has a lower back injury, then it's gonna be worth it to plan and coach some stuff that targets Cliff, making him twist and turn a lot. Try to exacerbate the problem, give him some back spasms ideally. But again, that's a little risky because you're taking time and brain-bandwidth away from just executing the normal game plan for RU. It might not pay off and, if Cliff's healed up, could backfire even.

If the OSU staff doesn't know for sure what's going on, then they are far less likely to gamble time on it. The risk/reward just isn't there.

Disagree.
He has to twist and turn a lot regardless and if their game plan is to make him twist and turn instead of running their offense they’re doing us a favor.
All the coach has to do ask his center what’s up with Cliff, and the center can say I got him, he’s not right

Disagree.
He has to twist and turn a lot regardless and if their game plan is to make him twist and turn instead of running their offense they’re doing us a favor
Also, what possible advantage or benefit is there to be gained by telling people about it?

Also, what possible advantage or benefit is there to be gained by telling people about it?
So announcers, color men and everyone watching knows the kid is gutting up for his team and we don’t have to continue hearing about how he’s struggling and doesn’t look right.
Just my opinion Mildy

Disagree.
He has to twist and turn a lot regardless and if their game plan is to make him twist and turn instead of running their offense they’re doing us a favor.
All the coach has to do ask his center what’s up with Cliff, and the center can say I got him, he’s not right
I'm setting a personal record by responding to your post in 3 separate replies. LOL

But you keep adding to it.

Anyway, for sure a player can say he's not right during the game. I bet the NW coach and players thought there might be something up with him in that game. But unless you know in advance and can draw up stuff and work on it in practice, the things you can successfully do in the game without preparation are pretty limited.

You could maybe have a player or two set hard blind-side picks on him. But again, anything you do different from what you'd normally do can take you out of your own game. Unless you can plan it out some, work it up, and communicate it to the whole team.

I've been through this when coaching soccer. It's always a trade-off to target an opposing player for whatever reasons (injury or because they're really good). People think athletes are like chess pieces and coaches can just give them instructions and it's as easy as that - the player just executes something he didn't practice at all without any problem.

But it's just never that simple. And you played sports enough to know that. If practice reps don't matter, why does every team in every sport do them so much?

So announcers, color men and everyone watching knows the kid is gutting up for his team and we don’t have to continue hearing about how he’s struggling and doesn’t look right.
Just my opinion Mildy
I understand what you're saying.

But keeping announcers, color men, and everyone watching informed is a much lower priority, to all coaches, than doing what can be done to help your team win the game. Right?

I understand what you're saying.

But keeping announcers, color men, and everyone watching informed is a much lower priority, to all coaches, than doing what can be done to help your team win the game. Right?
No
He’s gonna play and dominate, not dominate, protect the rim, jam and rebound regardless what you think is valuable information the opposing team can use against us…which as I’ve told you means nothing imo

No
He’s gonna play and dominate, not dominate, protect the rim, jam and rebound regardless what you think is valuable information the opposing team can use against us…which as I’ve told you means nothing imo
Well, we can sure agree that we hope he's at full strength and back to his dominating ways for the OSU game Sunday. I'd like to see him get a triple double.

I really want to see RU crush OSU in response to the officiating blunder at the last game w/them. I mean absolutely obliterate. A 30 point win would be acceptable.

Nothing personal against OSU. It was the refs that screwed us, not the players or coaches.

But OSU is in the way of our advancement here, and in the way of our demonstrating who really should've won that last game. So they'll have to live with being collateral damage, should we manage to win.

Reactions: zappaa
I disagree.

One of them is probably going to see what I'm talking about. But they won't know, any more than I know, if it's really a back thing, of if Cliff was just having an off game.

OSU doesnt have to study any game film on Cliff. Zed Key ate him alive in the 1st game.

ADVERTISEMENT